homepage

What was the very first.....

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 05:00 PM

Movie you remember seeing in a movie theater?

For me that would be the original Star Wars (A New Hope) in 1977. I distinctly remember seeing it in the summer so I wasn't quite 5 years old yet but I have several vivid memories of that evening. I remember arguing with my mom because I told her they were putting "gasoline" inside the X-Wing fighters before the final assault on the Death Star and my mom said they weren't really putting anything inside of them and then I replied "duh, yeah they are a pretending. I know!". I also remember some guy sitting behind me saying in Spanish "usa la espada estupido". This was during the scene in the Death Star trash compactor when Luke gets dragged under the water by the Dionaga.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 05:08 PM

'Fantasia', but not when it was first released in 1940, probably about 1955 aged 5. At a cinema in Bethnal Green, East London
Posted By: rwatson

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 05:39 PM

"The Blob". Had to look up the date 1958..Saw some movies before that at the drive in but can't recall which ones
Posted By: DBond

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 05:50 PM

Herbie Rides Again, 1974
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 06:00 PM

I think it was Disney's Pinocchio, but not on its first run (probably obviously). I was probably 4 or 5, so around 1967 or 1968, and got dropped off at the theater with two of my older siblings.
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 06:18 PM

Godzilla, the black and white version. They use to play movies such as this at the matinee, when I was a kid. Probably 1974 or so. Godzilla vs Mothra was a memorable one as well.

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by WangoTango
Godzilla vs Mothra was a memorable one as well.

I think that's the one with the cute Japanese female twins dressed as fairies or something similar? biggrin

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

I think that's the one with the cute Japanese female twins dressed as fairies or something similar? biggrin

My memory is not that good. biggrin

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 06:33 PM

My memory is not that good. biggrin

YES! I was right!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058379/mediaviewer/rm2883967233?ref_=ttmi_mi_all_sf_44
Posted By: Allen

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 06:56 PM

"The Wizard of Oz".

It came out in 1939. I had not come out yet smile

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Allen
"The Wizard of Oz".

It came out in 1939. I had not come out yet smile

A lot of those classic films were re-released in theaters in the 50's and 60's so I know you're not that old!
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 08:11 PM

As best as I can remember... Thunderball. I don't think I saw the three earlier James Bond movies in the theater.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 08:13 PM

I would say 'Jungle Book'. (The original of course).
Posted By: Adger

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 08:18 PM

Star Wars A New Hope for me also.. Just turned 6 and my dad took me for my birthday, Soon has John Williams opening theme boomed out I was mesmerised. Great memories.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 09:56 PM

Very vague memory of Bambi.

But the first I have real recall of is The Blue Max
Posted By: Chucky

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 10:01 PM

Now OG has mentioned Bambi I think that was more probable. I didn't watch this one on release though! Probably mid 60's.

BD-123 it was at The Scala if you remember that?

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 10:03 PM

What was the one eyed monster that Godzilla fought ? I remember the highlight being its eye getting popped. Black and white I believe. I can't find it for the life of me.
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 10:21 PM

Raging Bull in 1980, I was 3 years old.
Posted By: Tarnsman

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 10:36 PM

MASH 1970, I was supposed to fall asleep.
I saw a couple of movies like that when I was around 4 or 5. Mom and Dad got a big laugh for years after that.
Posted By: Chef

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/18/22 11:18 PM

Death Race 2000 1975 when I was 7 or 8. I remember we got kicked out of the house because my mom was hosting a baby shower so my dad took us to go see it at a drive in. In the movie I remember hospital staff pushing out patients in wheel chairs for a driver to up his score but he detoured and plowed through the staff instead.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/19/22 12:26 AM

I do believe the first "grown up" movie that I ever saw, was when I was ten tears old and my older brother took me to see Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Even at that age, I think I got most of the jokes. I loved it. The first movie I ever saw one my own, with a date, was Death Hunt with Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin.
Posted By: Lieste

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/19/22 01:23 AM

The Land That Time Forgot (u-boats & dinos).

I've only watched about 5 or 6 movies in cinemas, and prefer to buy the DVD after it becomes affordable, cheaper, I can choose a volume setting that I enjoy and can watch them as often as I want.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/19/22 02:19 AM

Possibly Away All Boats. Us kids would take the bus and then a street car to this theater called the Rialto, aka The Rat Hole, at the time. A $1 would get you in and popcorn and a drink or two. If we missed the bus on the way home it was a good 2.5 mile walk along a major road.

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/19/22 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Crane Hunter

LOL! Uh..wow.
Posted By: KRT_Bong

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/19/22 11:23 AM

Goldfinger and Thunderball double feature at a Drive-in I was probably 12 or 13
Posted By: BUFF

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/19/22 01:38 PM

I'm going to say BoB in 1969 but I also remember Tora! Tora! Tora! on release ...

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/19/22 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by BUFF
I'm going to say BoB in 1969 but I also remember Tora! Tora! Tora! on release ...

BoB came out in 69 and Tora came out in 70 so you had great taste in war movies as a kid! Did you also see Patton? That one came out in 70.
Posted By: BUFF

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/19/22 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by BUFF

BoB came out in 69 and Tora came out in 70 so you had great taste in war movies as a kid! Did you also see Patton? That one came out in 70.

That would be my father's taste at that age. wink & it appealing enough to me to lodge in my memory - I am sure that there are plenty of films that I saw that didn't register although I do also recall Chitty Chitty Bang Bang & the Aristocats from around the same time....
Whilst I have seen Patton I don't recall seeing it in a cinema.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/19/22 11:28 PM

"Billy Jack", 1973. I was 11, had no business seeing that movie at that age.... went with an older brother and his friend.
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/20/22 02:01 AM

LOL! Uh..wow.

Parents brought me because they couldn't find a baby sitter.

As far as the movie went I found it grim and scary and of course I didn't understand what was going on.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Friday

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/20/22 07:18 PM

My first that I remember was Turner and Hooch at the local cinema.
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/20/22 07:40 PM

A cartoon made in Disney.

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/21/22 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy

Oh, that one.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/22/22 12:05 AM

The 1976 version of King Kong. Came straight home and made a massive kong footprint in the driveway and then hid in the bushes.

My mum also bought me the book 'The Creation of Dino de Laurentiis King Kong' that i managed to keep up until the mid '90's, and read many times, when i lost it along with a pile of many beloved books, mainly WWII bios, through flooding.

On a side note, Jacksons Kong was probably the most hyped i had ever been for a movie and it totally lived up to it. Not enough to hide in the bushes again though biggrin
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/22/22 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy

Oh, that one.

Beauty and the Beast or The Little Mermaid, one of those Dinsey cartoons

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/22/22 09:53 PM

As far as the movie went I found it grim and scary and of course I didn't understand what was going on.

If you could follow what was going on in "Raging Bull" as a 3 year old then you must be a member of Mensa!

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/22/22 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ajay

On a side note, Jacksons Kong was probably the most hyped i had ever been for a movie and it totally lived up to it. Not enough to hide in the bushes again though biggrin

I thought Jack Black was seriously miscast and some of the special effects were surprisingly pretty lame considering what a huge budget the movie had.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: What was the very first..... - 05/23/22 04:34 AM

Considering how camp the '76 Kong was, Jack was acceptable to me. The 'i'm in love with myself' actor was great as well.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums