homepage

We need smilies...

Posted By: KraziKanuK

We need smilies... - 07/31/21 11:38 AM

...that can be given for posts without starting a new post. A half dozen such as for like, dislike, agree, disagree, funny, hilarious.

Anyway this can be done?
Posted By: MarkG

Re: We need smilies... - 07/31/21 01:44 PM

It took years, but I finally warmed up to avatars and signatures, although I wouldn't mind one bit if SimHQ removed these features (the simpler the better, IMO).

But I'll never support a Like system (if that's what you're referring to). It wouldn't bother me so much if there's a way to opt out and not have that option included for one's posts (same with a Reputation system). So I wouldn't care as long as I'm not expected to participate.

The Like system is one reason I've never joined any social media proper (i.e. Facebook). Maybe because of all the fluff I post, I don't want to be so easily graded? smile Nah, I'm just old-fashion in a Usenet kind of way. old_simmer
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: We need smilies... - 07/31/21 04:00 PM

The problem with those systems is they become a judgement measure. Then we start competing or currying favor. People start getting their feelings hurt.
Posted By: Blade_RJ

Re: We need smilies... - 07/31/21 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
The problem with those systems is they become a judgement measure. Then we start competing or currying favor. People start getting their feelings hurt.

attack

i remember the spam era....it was fun.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: We need smilies... - 08/01/21 02:38 AM

Agree with OG. Leave smilies out. SimHQ ain't social media.
Posted By: MarkG

Re: We need smilies... - 08/01/21 02:57 AM

Just to clarify, we're not really talking about smilies, right? Those we already have [ smile ] (I have a request for an exercise and headbanging smilie).

It's a Like or Reputation system that we don't want (which apparently includes smilies).

EDIT: I don't know social media, only message boards.
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: We need smilies... - 08/01/21 05:07 PM

The forums are already a form of turn based combat... We don't need to add a scoreboard to it.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums