homepage

My new (old) car

Posted By: oldgrognard

My new (old) car - 06/18/21 09:42 AM

My 2001 Jag has started to develop some annoying “check engine” gremlins that evaded solving. Fix what was causing the error code and then get it for a different reason. So after 18 years of happy times, it was time to give her up. Wife was nervous when she took it and check engine light would come on and it would go into limp mode. My investments have been doing extremely well and it was time to take some money off the table.

Started looking at used Jaguar F-types and Mercedes SL 450 or 550 (same except for different engine). Found a couple relatively close and on a Saturday took the wife to see. We both felt the F type was a little small in the cabin room, but otherwise ok. We were both of the same opinion that the Mercedes was underwhelming. Interior seemed cheap for a high-end car. Seats were a bit hard with the leather stretched drumhead tight. We were both looking for something that was more similar to our Jag XK8. The salesman said have you looked at a Bentley. That hadn’t even been on my consideration list when I started my car search. He showed us one they had; Bentley Continental GT. Dark blue. Looked superb. We got in and loved it. But the choices of interior colors was bad. Blue leather that looked like old vinyl. The interior appointments were also blue. The wood panels were a very light yellowish wood. Great car with bad interior color choices.

Started researching the Bentley Continental GT. Reviews and mechanical reports were satisfactory. Then started searching for the right car at the right price. My target price was $50,000 - 65,000, low mileage, clean Carfax, pleasing colors.

After two months found the right thing. 2008 Bentley Continental GT Speed. The Speed has additional power and suspension and some other minor things. A dark blue. So dark it almost looks black until the sun brings out the blue. Good light cream color leather with dark blue/gray appointments, and medium dark burl wood panels. 27, 200 miles. Good Carfax and service records. It had the old infotainment system replaced with a very well done modern one. Sat nav and Apple CarPlay. All the new tech stuff. A $4,200customization that was properly mated with the existing car controls and steering wheel controls. Custom chrome wheels. Closed the deal for $57,000 out the door with $6,500 for my Jag. So $50,500.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great condition. People think it’s new.

Wife and I are happy with it. It is truly a step above in quality of materials, fit, and finish. Parts aren’t plastic but metal. Almost too much in the way of features. Lots to learn about it all. Ride is so sedate and smooth. At 600 Horsepower it is fast 0-60 in 4.0 seconds and top speed of 202 Mph ( yeah, like I’ll ever see that).

Comfortable.

Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: My new (old) car - 06/18/21 09:47 AM

Wow.

Amazing car, grats on such a deal.

The rims keep the "B" upright?

Paddle Shift?

Edit - additional pictures clear this up wink
Posted By: RossUK

Re: My new (old) car - 06/18/21 11:05 AM

My word that is a car of dreams. Hope it gives you years of trouble free driving. Fueling that over here would cost the earth.
Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: My new (old) car - 06/18/21 11:53 AM

Beautiful car - until I quickly got an overdose of it during my years spent in China. It is always the "Flashy-Gucci-shirt-with-matching-belt, sometimes-the-shades-too!" type of guys driving a Continental GT in Shanghai or Beijing.

Would it be the same type of drivers in your part of the 'Hood ? exitstageleft

Cheers,
Slug
Posted By: MarkG

Re: My new (old) car - 06/18/21 12:14 PM

Classy looking car, OG. thumbsup

Saw a Mercedes Benz commercial not long ago showing off interior neon lighting (you can change it: blue, green, orange, etc.), including lighted strips wrapping around the inside.

Only word that came to my mind was "tacky". I think words like "classy" and "elegant" are frowned upon today.
Posted By: Bill_Grant

Re: My new (old) car - 06/18/21 12:53 PM

OG, that is a beautiful ride!!!! I am SO HAPPY for y'all! The car does look new.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: My new (old) car - 06/18/21 01:27 PM

Lovely car OG, I'm sure you'll enjoy every mile in it smile
Posted By: Nixer

Re: My new (old) car - 06/18/21 01:55 PM

Indeed it is a gorgeous car. I love the deep dark blue and the light leather, especially the light interior for FL.

V-12 ???
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: My new (old) car - 06/18/21 02:26 PM

Great looking car, congrats!
Posted By: carrick58

Re: My new (old) car - 06/18/21 03:53 PM

wow, A really great looking Ride.

I had one car that I kept in my dads yard for years. It was my Teenage Cruiser He finally made me Junk it. Still to this day, I think of the cars backseat.

Attached picture images1959 chev.jpg
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: My new (old) car - 06/18/21 06:11 PM

Very nice, although I would hate to see the servicing costs!
Posted By: Ajay

Re: My new (old) car - 06/18/21 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nixer
Indeed it is a gorgeous car. I love the deep dark blue and the light leather, especially the light interior for FL.

V-12 ???

W12, and yes, lovely machine indeed. She's a 100k plus car over here.

Re: My new (old) car - 06/18/21 09:42 PM

Thanks, did some reading and it seems the W12 has been around for quite awhile at Bentley.

2022 version is around $250K here.

Re: My new (old) car - 06/18/21 09:59 PM

RSColonel, yes it has paddle shifters. But it is an automatic so they are a bit of a gimmick unlike my Maserati GranSport which has legitimate paddle shifters since it is a manual transmission.

W12 engine. Advantage it is shorter than a V12. Lots of torque on top of its horsepower. You can really feel when the twin turbos kick in. It startled me the first time I floored it and they spun up. Surge of power that catches you by surprise. Greater acceleration than my GranSport. Hard to believe such a luxurious car can have such brutal power. I like it.

As for the Gucci drivers, can’t blame the car for that. If it weren’t for them there wouldn’t be these used ones on the market with such low miles.

Yes, new ones go for over $300,000. Mine was $214,000 in 2008. The Speed versions are a bit more.

Took it to my friend who owns a European car service center and he gave it a good inspection. Gave me the thumbs up. Hopefully she won’t be a trouble car.
Posted By: semmern

Re: My new (old) car - 06/19/21 08:33 AM

Beautiful car, and IMO one should really own a 12-cylinder car at some point in one’s life!

Now, pack the weekend bags and go on a spectacular road trip!

Re: My new (old) car - 06/19/21 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by semmern
Now, pack the weekend bags and go on a spectacular road trip!

Hell yeah! I assume Bentleys have pretty good sound (even if factory). Road trip playlists are the best!

Might not be your style OG, but please add Rush's "Red Barchetta" to yours for me!

EDIT: Found a cool video (w/flying DeLorean...lol) that will play linked...

Rush Red Barchetta Lyrics and Cinematic Story with a real Ferrari 365GTC4, Model Delorean, and Volt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wRKqMUrdas

++++++++++

The one that won't play linked (still a great video)...

Red Barchetta - Rush
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jmsSzB_7J8

EDIT: ^ That is so freggin' disappointing (awesome fan video), why do they do this?!

Attached picture Red_Barchetta.png
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: My new (old) car - 06/20/21 03:33 PM

That's a beauty OG for sure smile

Re: My new (old) car - 06/20/21 04:28 PM

Since you have a Jag XK8 you understand how reluctant I was to let mine go. Loved that car for almost 18 years.

Hopefully this Bentley will be as good long term.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: My new (old) car - 06/20/21 08:58 PM

Ya ..I dearly love the Jag. But that Bentley is very nice smile I have driven all sorts of vehicles oce the last 50 years. IMO nobody combines luxury and performance like the Brits smile Some are faster some are fancier there is just something about how they combine the two.

Many happy miles sir smile
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: My new (old) car - 06/20/21 10:10 PM

A very nice car indeed. You chose very well OG!

Re: My new (old) car - 06/20/21 10:42 PM

Agreed Archie. But why can’t they do cup holders. You know what I mean with that Jag. $80,000 car with $3.00 cup holders that are intent of tipping and spilling on any turn.

The Bentley Continental; a quarter million dollar car with $12.00 cup holders in the wrong place. You have to lift the center armrests and leave them up for the cup holders. Has two spots, but unless you have two small sized cups, you can only have one in them. The wife and I laugh at it.
Posted By: kilosierra

Re: My new (old) car - 06/21/21 10:18 AM

Congrats, nice car.

A few weeks ago, I saw a white Bentley Convertible in town, looked great too

Greets

Karsten

Re: My new (old) car - 06/21/21 10:24 AM

Never driven a modern Continental, but I’ve been driven in one. Beautiful build quality, the seats are wonderful, and the soundproofing makes for very comfortable journeys. I have driven a 1968 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow belonging to a friend, and even then the ride quality, quietness and build quality was superb, so a modern Rolls Royce has to be really spectacular! I heard on the new RR Ghost, they had to tone down the noise insulation a bit since it got too quiet in the car, which actually made driving more difficult since the entire sensation of sound went away.
Posted By: McGonigle

Re: My new (old) car - 06/21/21 02:53 PM

Congratulations on the very fine new, pre-owned motorcar. If I could get one here for that price, I'd part with the cash in a jiffy. Checking on the interwebs I have found a nice looking silver 2009 model with 67.000 Km / 41.000 Miles on the clock here in Denmark for............

$175.000! eek

Re: My new (old) car - 06/21/21 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by McGonigle

$175.000! eek

Is that the price of the car or what you would spend on gasoline for that car after a couple of years? biggrin
Posted By: kilosierra

Re: My new (old) car - 06/21/21 03:28 PM

I think Denmark has a kind of luxury-tax on cars

Re: My new (old) car - 07/08/21 06:57 PM

A friend seeing my new toy said he had something that was perfectly appropriate for me. Me sent this-

[Linked Image]

Re: My new (old) car - 07/08/21 08:24 PM

Good one, OG! It is also said that money can’t buy happiness, but it’s more comfortable to cry in a Bentley than in a Toyota.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: My new (old) car - 07/08/21 08:29 PM

Money can't buy happiness, but it sure as hell can rent it.

Re: My new (old) car - 07/09/21 10:44 AM

Good one, OG! It is also said that money can’t buy happiness, but it’s more comfortable to cry in a Bentley than in a Toyota.

Having owned a Toyota Corolla for over 15 years I resent that statement! biggrin

Anyway, I already told my wife that the replacement for my ancient Corolla will be a Mustang GT.

Re: My new (old) car - 07/10/21 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Having owned a Toyota Corolla for over 15 years I resent that statement! biggrin

Anyway, I already told my wife that the replacement for my ancient Corolla will be a Mustang GT.

Ohhh excellent choice! biggrin

Re: My new (old) car - 07/10/21 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Arthonon

Ohhh excellent choice! biggrin

I found one your wife thinks you can afford... winkngrin

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 00005b902b6049f6562016c9955615bd1df4.jpg

Re: My new (old) car - 07/10/21 12:57 AM

Just needs a good wash and wax. Chrome could stand a bit of polish. Upside is that has the “run-flat” tires.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: My new (old) car - 07/10/21 01:11 AM

A car like that is cheap at first, but then can become a money pit while restoring it. I've seen my brother do it several times. But hey, you can't take it with you.

Re: My new (old) car - 07/10/21 01:38 AM

They're not even all that cheap anymore, even that hulk would probably cost $15000 currently, and a nice "driver" will cost you as much as a new one.

Re: My new (old) car - 02/16/22 10:10 PM

Well, it’s been 8 months. How time flies. The car has been great. Did have an air conditioner repair that ran $1,200. More than a regular car but not terribly so. Everything else is good. Some thoughts :

The ride is superb.
The double pane glass really makes for a nice quiet interior.
The upgraded infotainment system is perfect. Siri and AppleCarplay really simplify things.
The visibility is a real surprise. The length of the side windows and lack of pillars make quarter rear visibility very good.
Massage seats are a nice thing.
Gas mileage is the weak spot. Around town and normal driving I get 15 mpg. Highway is 18 1/2. These high gas prices make for a hurt.
You never get tired of the power.
It gets attention like no car I’ve ever had.

Just can’t say how happy I am with the car.

Re: My new (old) car - 02/17/22 06:33 PM

Very cool, good to hear that it's doing well for you. You're getting about the same city mileage as I get from my Mustang, but on a 240-mile road trip not too long ago I got over 27mpg, so I'm doing a little better there. But then, I just have heated and cooled seats, but not massaging (although I might just fall asleep driving if I used that smile )

Re: My new (old) car - 08/17/22 07:00 PM

Well, another update. I have owned it for about 14 months now and other than the previous mention of air conditioner repair it has been solid. Nothing else but oil changes.

This new pricing on fuel is not a good thing. Couple low mileage and a large tank with crazy gas prices and doing a fill-up really hits the wallet.

Even though it is my daily driver I am surprised at how many people have never seen it or seen one in person. Always gets a lot of attention. Have had a lot of challenges but haven’t been beaten yet. But somewhere is a Hellcat or new mid-engine Corvette that will put me down.

Putting a lot of miles on it.

Re: My new (old) car - 08/17/22 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Have had a lot of challenges but haven’t been beaten yet. But somewhere is a Hellcat or new mid-engine Corvette that will put me down.

Look out, performance is ever increasing in those super-quiet battery-powered abominations. smile

Re: My new (old) car - 08/18/22 11:14 AM

Speaking of cars, I have been thinking about finally getting rid of my 2004 Toyota Corolla but every time I do, I realize that I'll have a monthly car payment again and then I quickly return to my senses. smile
Posted By: Chucky

Re: My new (old) car - 08/18/22 11:41 AM

I made a series of S/H and new car purchases starting in 2008 that went on for about 2-3 years. In that time I bought 4 new cars and a couple of second hand. Did it make me happy? Briefly. But I lost money on them all, especially a new Jaguar XF banghead

Nowadays I drive a 2006 Ford Fiesta (basic model) and I'm happy. It's just a car and gets from A to B which is all I want nowadays.

Re: My new (old) car - 08/18/22 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chucky
It's just a car and gets from A to B which is all I want nowadays.

Yup, that's my mentality as well. Maybe if I lived somewhere remote with little to no traffic I would feel differently but having to drive in Miami completely sucks any and all fun out of the experience.

Re: My new (old) car - 08/18/22 02:38 PM

It all just depends on what you like. I have an SUV for a daily driver, and a Mustang for some weekend fun, and that's worth the money to me because I just enjoy it.

OG, that's a great deal on that car - good purchase, in my opinion. My Mustang is about the same in performance, and it was a little less expensive, but it's not a Bentley. smile

Re: My new (old) car - 08/18/22 04:40 PM

Thanks Arthonon. There are faster cars, but not so much around the area I live. Also they don’t know mine is the Speed version which has more power. They also think it is just a luxury car not knowing what the Continental GT has in it. I’m sure someone will smack me down someday but not yet. The electric cars are very quick with their instant torque. Haven’t been tried by one of them yet.

I grew up with the great love of cars. I can understand why some like Panzer just consider it transportation because of the traffic where they live. That’s why I’m not a city guy.

Re: My new (old) car - 08/18/22 05:21 PM

I'm just going by what I've read, and the Continental GT Speed reviews I saw had it hitting 60 in 4.6 seconds, and the quarter in about 12.6. My Mustang is supposed to be able to hit 60 in 4 seconds and the quarter in under 12, but all of that depends on the conditions and, more important than that, the driver. Those numbers are really impressive when you consider that the Continental GT Speed weighs about 1,000 pounds more than the Mustang.

EVs do have a lot of get-up-and-go, and I think the ones with some level of performance (not counting the really high-end cars, like Porsches and the Tesla Plaid) would be really tough for most ICE cars to keep up with up to about 50mph, but after that, the ICE cars would reel most of them in. I've seen some Teslas leave an intersection in a hurry, and it's impressive.

Re: My new (old) car - 08/18/22 07:28 PM

Times can be tricky. I have seen 4.0 and 4.6. The best sources seem to fall on 4.0.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/road-tests/reviews/a13922/2008-bentley-continental-gt-speed-1/

https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/bentley-0-60-mph-times/

My Maserati is a 4.6 car and the Bentley is much faster.

But, regardless of published times, it sure is a hoot to have that kind of a kick in seat of the pants go. It makes me happy that when I get on it just a bit I can feel the power and know that there is still a lot more there. Such a sedate car that sometimes when at a stop I will look at the tach to ensure that the engine is still running.

Fortunately I live away from cities and can enjoy the driving experience. While getting a seat massage.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: My new (old) car - 08/19/22 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Chucky
It's just a car and gets from A to B which is all I want nowadays.

Yup, that's my mentality as well. Maybe if I lived somewhere remote with little to no traffic I would feel differently but having to drive in Miami completely sucks any and all fun out of the experience.

I have never understood why someone would want to have a sports car with our busy road system. National Legal Speed Limit is 70mph, Urban roads are littered with speed bumps, often leading to scraped undersides and lost exhaust expansion boxes or cracked sumps on performance cars, particularly in London,where many roads are also restricted to 20mph.

If I drive to London without hold-ups on the M40 motorway, it takes me as long to drive the last 9 miles to my daughter's house in Whitechapel as it did the previous 120 miles! Plus I have to pay ULEZ and Congestion Zone tariffs that are the equivalent of 35$ per day.

I think I'd be much more comfortable sat in a traffic jam in Chucky's Fiesta than i would a Porsche 911. (Presently on my third VW Passat, the previous two written off in accidents.....third time lucky eh?)

Re: My new (old) car - 07/08/23 11:34 PM

Update.

I’ve now had it for a bit over two years. Still only that air-conditioning repair. Three oil and filter changes.

It has been rock solid as my daily driver. I have put on a couple very small paint chips that I’ve done touch-up paint on. Very minor, but each one makes me wince.

It is still a lift every time I drive it. Still haven’t been beaten yet but had a Z06 run side by side. Someone out there will take me someday. But not yet. Funny that it is faster than the 2022 Mustang GT drag cars I raced. I am tempted to take the Bentley to that track and get printed numbers on it.

Re: My new (old) car - 07/09/23 04:02 PM

There are an unbelievable amount of fast cars around now, within like a two block radius of my house are 3 600+ horsepower Honda Civics, a 500+ horsepower Mitsubishi Lancer Evo and a Lamborghini Huracan.

[Linked Image]

It's too bad that you can't really push a fast vehicle anymore, there's too much traffic and surveillance and the nearest racetrack is ridiculously busy.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums