homepage

U.S. Flag Day

Posted By: rwatson

U.S. Flag Day - 06/14/21 01:06 PM

It's Flag Day in the U.S.Walking my pup earlier I couldn't help be realize how few Flags were flying.My house,John Glens house and the town hall.I'm 72 and where ever I've lived our Flag is installed right away.I'm old fashioned a bit and have my t-shirt on "I stand for the Flag and kneel before God and the fallen"
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/14/21 01:15 PM

That surprises me as well since you live in a pretty heavily GOP area of Ohio.

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/14/21 01:57 PM

PM New Concord is really a small town https://www.newconcord-oh.gov/fast-facts/
Actually there's more kids at the College than permanent residents.My house is the white one https://www.instantstreetview.com/@39.99331,-81.739081,350.47h,-2.57p,1.43z,YTdGQ89fCPm7RpetUVa4Ew
Posted By: Wigean

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/14/21 04:37 PM

Looks like nice town rw. smile

If I drove by I would definantly visit the John Glenn Museum. One of my heroes.

I could google it, but what is the origin of the "Muskingum" name?

With regards to flag days.
I use it on both sides of the house, espescially the day WW!! ended here in my country and the end of the union with Sweden 1905.
And our Constitution Day of course, May 17.

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/14/21 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by rwatson
PM New Concord is really a small town https://www.newconcord-oh.gov/fast-facts/

When I looked at the 2020 electoral results map for Ohio, it followed the classic archetype that has been the norm in US politics for a long time. The rural and suburb counties are largely GOP while the heavily urban counties are largely DEM.

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/14/21 05:44 PM

Wigen.I had to look it up myself..I'm here from New England..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskingum_River
It's a long river that runs through Zanesville ,And the county is Muskingum.along with the college down thee street.John Glens home is a small museum with some space stuff and WW II and Korea stuff.I'm an old Marine and the stuff in there fascinates me.
I like small towns .One grocery store and one drug store and a bunch of small shops that sell junk.But it's the kind of town O lived in in Rhode Island and Connecticut.No body getting shot at or houses getting broken into and If needed I hit the grocery store at 6 AM and pretty much everyone says hello.I can get up at 4 AM grab my pup and go sit on a bench downtown and just enjoy the peace and quiet here A lot of people here know my dogs name but not mine

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/14/21 05:55 PM

Thanks for the heads up rw.

I picked up an airplane in Columbus in the ninetees. One hours drive from New Concord it seems.

Too bad my crew had other interests than visiting museums as we stayed there for a couple of days.
We found some nice bars and steakhouses though. biggrin

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/14/21 05:58 PM

Steakhouses are great for sure. I'm looking forward to finally eating at those places again soon.
Posted By: Dart

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/16/21 09:05 PM

It is no coincidence that Flag Day is also the Army's founding day as well.

wink
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/16/21 11:36 PM

Dart has it right.
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/17/21 03:11 AM

There were flags all up and down my street. In California. In a metropolitan area. People who don't live in California don't know that we have more guns than many red states, and we have more conservatives than many red states. They only know the propaganda - and I am happy that exists. I don't want more outsiders moving here. Let the propaganda continue. It benefits me, my family, and my friends who were BORN HERE.
Posted By: Sunchaser

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/17/21 11:27 AM

I think your wish that no more outsiders move in has been long ago destroyed and you should start hoping more OUTSIDERS
that were "BORN HERE" move in to help you support those who were not.

Unfortunately our Flag has been diminished and we should just remove the white stripes for awhile.
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/17/21 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Zamzow
There were flags all up and down my street. In California. In a metropolitan area. People who don't live in California don't know that we have more guns than many red states, and we have more conservatives than many red states. They only know the propaganda - and I am happy that exists. I don't want more outsiders moving here. Let the propaganda continue. It benefits me, my family, and my friends who were BORN HERE.

Funny you speak so highly of the place, yet I have two friends who lived there for many years who have both fled with their families from the state due to how insane it has become. One of them lived in San Francisco and the other lived in Los Angeles, so, sorry if I don't buy your assessment, but I trust them far more than I would you. If there are so many conservatives in the wonderful California state, then maybe they should do something useful like, I dunno, fix the broken mess of regulation and laws that foster the nightmare environment within the major cities.
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/17/21 05:24 PM

Sure, California is a high population state and has a lot of conservatives. Unfortunately for them, they are severely outnumbered.

[Linked Image]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_presidential_election_in_California

2020 United States presidential election in California

← 2016 November 3, 2020 2024 →
Turnout
80.67% (of registered voters) Increase 5.40 pp
70.88% (of eligible voters) Increase 12.14 pp[1]
Nominee Joe Biden / Donald Trump
Party Democratic / Republican
Home state Delaware / Florida
Running mate Kamala Harris / Mike Pence
Electoral vote 55 / 0
Popular vote 11,110,250 / 6,006,429
Percentage 63.48% / 34.32%

It's not propaganda to recognize the facts of the matter. By all means, enjoy your Republican / conservative county conclave, but don't kid yourself... conservatives do not control squat at the state level.

If you want to talk about outsiders moving into your state, look to the southern border.
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/18/21 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by CyBerkut

If you want to talk about outsiders moving into your state, look to the southern border.

Well thank you for educating me on what's going on in the state I've lived in for 50 years. NOT.

You have no clue. Not trying to be insulting, but don't even think you're going to tell me what's really going on in "my own house".

You cannot.
Posted By: MarkG

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/18/21 02:29 AM

rwatson, sounds like a swell place to live. Wife agrees that after my parents are gone, we're going to sell everything and move somewhere that many people aren't, likely leaving the South.

"Turn me loose, set me free
Somewhere in the middle of Montana"

++++++++++

Zamzow, I've visited NYC a couple of times in the last 3 years, likely won't be a third time (been there, done that...not worth the hassle after current events). L.A. and/or San Fransisco will be in my road trip future, want to walk across the Golden Gate Bridge again (did so once when I was 5 as well as L.A./Disneyland, but can't remember any of it...have to enjoy through home movies).

I'm not as politically-minded as many here, it's all still the USA to me and I want to see the sights while I'm young and fit enough to explore them.

"From the lakes of Minnesota
To the hills of Tennessee
Across the plains of Texas
From sea to shining sea
From Detroit down to Houston
And New York to L.A.
Well, there's pride in every American heart
And it's time we stand and say"
Posted By: Nimits

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/18/21 04:06 AM

They only know the propaganda - and I am happy that exists. I don't want more outsiders moving here. Let the propaganda continue. It benefits me, my family, and my friends who were BORN HERE.

I know of several people (including those who were born there) who have moved out of California (and to the southern states), in the last couple of years due to one-party politics, exorbitant taxes, the rise in anti-Semitism, and general devolution of society experienced by them in California.

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/18/21 12:40 PM

Mark I love this town.We are up and about around 4 AM and the night duty cop greets my pup Iggy and during the day I'm out on the deck just kicking back with some old jams playing and the kids from the college pass and admit the tunes are righteous and pass a thumbs up.Life was rough but I've found a peaceful place and a good place

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/18/21 04:01 PM

For the old dodgers here a time when music was music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyftaay-pFA

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/18/21 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by rwatson
For the old dodgers here a time when music was music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyftaay-pFA

Oh sh+t. I`m an old dodger. biggrin
Nice pick rw. cheers
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: U.S. Flag Day - 06/18/21 06:33 PM

A good song, to be sure. Not so sure, however, what it has to do with the subject matter.

This, on the other hand...
© 2024 SimHQ Forums