homepage

Neuralink

Posted By: CyBerkut

Neuralink - 06/03/21 05:40 PM

Musk is well known for being 'optimistic' on his time estimates, but he's also well known for getting things done. One of his endeavors that gets less coverage than the others:

https://www.designboom.com/technolo...p-will-end-language-10-years-02-06-2021/
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Neuralink - 06/03/21 07:08 PM

I don't see this being adopted by the masses. Language is a very large part of what makes up the cultural identity for many people.

What I do see is niche groups of tech geeks using this "Neuralink" for personal uses as well as businesses using it for certain applications.
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: Neuralink - 06/04/21 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I don't see this being adopted by the masses. Language is a very large part of what makes up the cultural identity for many people.

What I do see is niche groups of tech geeks using this "Neuralink" for personal uses as well as businesses using it for certain applications.

I see massively practical implications for the paralyzed with this though. I'd get that implant in a second if I were in that situation.

Good luck getting any kind of microchip in my body otherwise though...
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Neuralink - 06/04/21 03:36 PM

Mitigating physical and/or brain injuries is an obvious early application for this, and probably one of the easier problems to tackle with it. But if it turns out that eventually it really can facilitate two way communications between a brain and computer, such that the brain can understand the computer information along with the other way around... the possibilities and implications (good and bad) are enormous. Especially with A.I. added into the mix.

Along with the benefit of increased capabilities will come the increased risk from hackers and prying governments/corporations, etc.

Via technology, you'll effectively have telepathy available to you. There are tons of civilian and military applications for that.

Imagine if a psychiatrist could link up with a willing patient's mind and actually perceive their thoughts...

There would be a serious need for some governance on what is ethically/legally/morally allowed. Of course, in a world of billions of people, how many will ignore the "rules"?
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Neuralink - 06/04/21 05:33 PM

The only cyberware I'll be getting is built in EMF protection.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums