homepage

Best guitar solos

Posted By: rwatson

Best guitar solos - 04/04/21 05:42 PM

I nominate this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTseTg48568 Tied with Jimie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzZh6-h9fM
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/04/21 05:46 PM

Still can’t embed videos ?
Posted By: rwatson

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/04/21 06:27 PM

OG I click on the links and they play
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/04/21 10:51 PM

Oh lord, and away we go!

"I asked my baby for a nickel, she gave me a twenty dollar bill"

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/05/21 12:15 AM

knock, knock... is this thing one?

Always loved this little ditty.

Posted By: JimK

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/05/21 12:47 AM

one of my favorite guitarists, joe satriani flying in a blue dream

To embed videos remember to always use the full post editor. Quick is always first must at where it asked to post

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/05/21 12:48 AM

Last one, I promise. wink

I thought long and hard about which one to use, the decent live version or the incredible album one...duhhh... did I do good?

Posted By: RedOneAlpha

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/05/21 08:24 AM

Solo start at the 3:25min. mark.

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/05/21 08:34 AM

Last but not least biggrin

The whole song is a solo! Love it..

Red

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/05/21 08:43 AM

Last one...

The king of tone!

Red
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/06/21 01:19 AM

Half the songs I listen to have the "best guitar solos," just too many to choose from. dizzy

Another music thread to harvest, though. tuner
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/06/21 04:07 AM

Angus Young

Solo starts at 3:50

I'm not saying this is the best guitar solo ever, but he sure carries the show here (he IS the show here!)...
Posted By: WhoCares

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/06/21 07:50 AM

Your choice

or
]
Posted By: Evil Flower

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/06/21 10:22 AM

Can't have a thread like this without Holdsworth
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/06/21 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by JimK
one of my favorite guitarists, joe satriani flying in a blue dream

To embed videos remember to always use the full post editor. Quick is always first must at where it asked to post

I saw the Flying In A Blue Dream tour, at Massey Hall in Toronto. It was incredible.1990 or 91 I believe. Joe still had hair.

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/06/21 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Evil Flower
Can't have a thread like this without Holdsworth

I have this Metal Fatigue LP since the 90´s (IIRC). Great work and he wasen´t even on most rock magazines. Love his work with Soft Machine and Nucleus! Only for real gurus biggrin RIP Mr. Allan Holdsworth.

Red

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/06/21 04:34 PM

Scott Henderson with Tribal Tech...

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/06/21 04:43 PM

Quite a few bands and solo artists mentioned here that I've never even heard of! Now I have some new stuff to discover.

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/06/21 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Red2112

Solo start at the 3:25min. mark.

I love UFO.

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/06/21 05:54 PM

Sorry rwatson, I just realized you chose Comfortably Numb as well, although a different production.

David Gilmour may not be the fastest guitarist, but he hit's me on a level no other guitarist has.

Comfortably Numb from the 1994 tour, which I was fortunate to see in Toronto (12 row floor just left of center), is the gold standard in my opinion. There are countless "reaction videos" of people with people hearing/witnessing the song for the first time. They are great. I love seeing Hip Hop guys, young people blown away. Go to 4:39 if you just want to see the solo.

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/06/21 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by rwatson

Jimi's show was actually early Monday morning, most of the crowd had left. They screwed the pooch on that one.

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/06/21 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by WangoTango

Comfortably Numb from the 1994 tour, which I was fortunate to see in Toronto,

I really wanted to see PF when they came to Miami for that tour but unfortunately I was the stereotypical broke college student eating Ramen noodles for breakfast, lunch and dinner at the time.

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/06/21 06:11 PM

They played 3 nights in Toronto to 55,000 per night. Best concert I have seen or ever will see I'm sure. I saw them in 1987 as well.

Here is a solo David Gilmour song, very powerful song, solo at 4:55 ranks with the best of his IMO.
Posted By: Force10

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/06/21 08:35 PM

Be Bop Deluxe "No Trains to Heaven"...best guitar song you've never heard. Doesn't exactly follow standard chorus, chorus, lead then chorus. Just oozes guitar goodness throughout.
Recorded 1974 at Abbey Road studios:

Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/06/21 08:38 PM

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/06/21 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Force10
Be Bop Deluxe "No Trains to Heaven"...best guitar song you've never heard. Doesn't exactly follow standard chorus, chorus, lead then chorus. Just oozes guitar goodness throughout.
Recorded 1974 at Abbey Road studios:

I've never heard this, I really like it. I have zero knowledge of Be Bop Deluxe.

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/06/21 09:32 PM

I was fortunate enough to see Stevie Ray Vaughn, about a year before his death. This video is of him playing the legendary El Mocambo Club. The Rolling Stones recorded a live album there, a surprise show. Love You Live.

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/07/21 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Comfortably Numb from the 1994 tour, which I was fortunate to see in Toronto,

I really wanted to see PF when they came to Miami for that tour but unfortunately I was the stereotypical broke college student eating Ramen noodles for breakfast, lunch and dinner at the time.

That's what I am now! reading

But then, I was a 44 year old "girly bar" DJ, actually enjoying alternative music, and two of my favorite $20 bills with legs paid for my ticket, room and assorted other perks. Height of my glory days in that biz...unbeknownst to me, I was headed for sea soon.

I have been on stage, and paid for it; for Steve Miller, Jefferson Airplane, Bob Seeger, Johnny Winter, Allman Bros...you get the drift.

That Miami Pink Floyd Concert was amazing.

Glory daze....

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/07/21 01:01 AM

Whoops almost forgot..

Oh, and gnite.

eek

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/07/21 02:27 AM

That version Of Since I've Been Loving You is incredible. They should have put it on the original album.

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/07/21 06:48 PM

A underrated Page solo and song...

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/07/21 06:55 PM

The man with a thousand tricks...

We can´t forget the legend himself!

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/07/21 07:00 PM

I looked up "Presence" and I have to admit that I don't know a single song on the album but yet the album was a big commercial success at the time. It went triple Platinum in the US.

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/07/21 07:04 PM

Bonus duo. Joe knows his stuff!

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/07/21 07:09 PM

I looked up "Presence" and I have to admit that I don't know a single song on the album but yet the album was a big commercial success at the time. It went triple Platinum in the US.

While I have always loved Zep and all there albums, including Plants solo stuff, I think Presence is a very special album. Not always well appreciated by die hard Zep fans, which for me is hard to understand why not.

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/07/21 07:59 PM

I like Presence quite a bit. No filler on that album IMO. It was a dark time in the bands history though. The only Led Zeppelin album I don't care for is In Through The Out Door.

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/07/21 09:24 PM

The only Led Zeppelin album I don't care for is In Through The Out Door.

Same here. The only positive for me on this album is that I was around 16 when it was released and I remember hearing it on the radio. I also had it in my hands in a department store (JC Penny) IIRC and it was sleeved in a paper bag, aside from the hard cover. Never bought it though. They played in Orlando two years earlier, it was one of there last shows I think. Did see them in Barcelona in the 90´s with that odd line-up.
Posted By: Turbo

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/08/21 04:18 AM

ZZ Top! That Billy Gibbons really rocks...

Posted By: MarkG

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/09/21 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nixer
I have been on stage, and paid for it; for Steve Miller, Jefferson Airplane, Bob Seeger, Johnny Winter, Allman Bros...you get the drift.

Wow! Nixer is even cooler than I thought cool (points deducted for bicycle, but not enough to matter)! biggrin
Posted By: David Kennard

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/15/21 12:57 PM

any Jeff Healey live is delight

See the Light

and I rock to this one often, two of the best ever - RIP Brothers

Look at Little Sister

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/15/21 01:09 PM

Some other favorites

Eagles - https://youtu.be/dxquAn8DhbM?t=230

The Knack - https://youtu.be/r5yWDPGfbUc?t=152

Mathew Sweet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n12OBlcHx9E

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/15/21 01:12 PM

Prince - so many

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/15/21 01:24 PM

The Edge

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/17/21 06:35 AM

Can´t miss the man...

Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/23/21 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by rwatson

I found this video with some background on the recording of "Comfortably Numb." Most Pink Floyd fans probably know at least some of the story, but I thought this was interesting:

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/23/21 02:21 PM

I know music taste is subjective but "Comfortably Numb" is one of those "perfect" songs that I can listen to hundreds of times and never get tired of it. This is a song that people will still be listening to 100 years from now.
Posted By: BlueHeron

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/23/21 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by David Kennard
Some other favorites

The Knack - https://youtu.be/r5yWDPGfbUc?t=152

I actually took the time to learn that solo by ear.... knowing full well I'd never be able to play it at speed. biggrin
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/23/21 06:07 PM

The FULL guitar solo in the Knack's My Sharona is absolutely one of the best rock guitar solos ever. I used to want to scream when radio stations would cut a big part of it out to fit into a short time line. The Knack was a very tight and talented band thru and thru. They just got lumped into the bumble gum rock genre.

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/23/21 10:40 PM

I know music taste is subjective but "Comfortably Numb" is one of those "perfect" songs that I can listen to hundreds of times and never get tired of it. This is a song that people will still be listening to 100 years from now.

I think this applies to much of Pink Floyd's music. Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here etc.

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/24/21 12:54 AM

And patience...

Re: Best guitar solos - 04/24/21 01:18 PM

Some may not know this, but Pink Floyd played live on the BBC during the Moon landing, LINK

]

Re: Best guitar solos - 07/26/21 10:28 PM

Vernon Reid

Living Colour - Cult Of Personality

https://youtu.be/7xxgRUyzgs0?t=180
Posted By: Major Dragon

Re: Best guitar solos - 07/28/21 04:10 PM

Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun
Band of Gypsies live at the Filmore East New Year’s Eve 1970

https://youtu.be/Lw2L_vGUMtE

And of course anything by Jeff Beck 👍
Posted By: rollnloop.

Re: Best guitar solos - 07/29/21 07:15 AM

Nixer already posted my favorite solo (europa), but this thread could use a bit of frenchness so here we go:

© 2024 SimHQ Forums