homepage

Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud!

Posted By: Nixer

Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! - 03/28/21 02:50 AM

Decent little article talking about the big G brother profiting on you and not sharing a Penney.

What, google spys on you?

Bored and awake so I'll go step by step:

They say I am 26 to 35 yrs younger than I really am.
They say I am interested in business formation...LOL the only one I have considered is setting up PAY HERE booths at the Florida borders and see who is dumb enough to stop.
Says I own my home, have been a renter since I got divorced in the early 80's.
Oh yeah, they think I am married.
Says I am interested in urban transit...the nearest urban area to me is at least fifty miles.
They say I work for a very large employer...lol I have been retired since 2012.
They say I have a HIGH household income...I live on Social Security and a tiny VA pension! And the banking idiots give me an almost 770 credit score!

Plus a few others that are off also.

If that is marketing today, they might as well just use wheels of fortune or a version of the old 8 balls. Gonna flip some serving carts in my marketing discussion in the AM.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! - 03/28/21 03:09 AM

I'm not sure, but I think I would rather they had my marketing information wrong than exactly right.. You must be doing something right to throw off their algorithm.

Re: Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! - 03/28/21 03:04 PM

For sure LB4LB, I think Privacy Badger is one of the big reasons.

I will come up with a Nixer classic school post today, as we have a discussion going on qualitative vs quantitative marketing research. Should be fun.

Good luck to anybody buying that crap data.
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! - 03/28/21 06:44 PM

Opposite case for me, and to the extreme.

I googled an item on my PC.

An hour later I saw an ad for exactly that item on my phone.

My phone has ABSOLUTELY ZERO "connections" to my PC. I do not access the same email (or even service) with it, I never give out my phone number on my PC, etc, etc, etc.

I can't get my head around how they pull this off - best guess I come up with is some entity in the real world sold my phone number info, and either directly or indirectly Google got ahold of it...
Posted By: Lieste

Re: Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! - 03/28/21 07:54 PM

But that is dumb. I buy an item, or decide not to. Adverts "selling" *me* this thing are a waste of the advertiser's money for years at least.
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! - 03/28/21 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Zamzow

My phone has ABSOLUTELY ZERO "connections" to my PC. I do not access the same email (or even service) with it, I never give out my phone number on my PC, etc, etc, etc.

I can't get my head around how they pull this off - best guess I come up with is some entity in the real world sold my phone number info, and either directly or indirectly Google got ahold of it...

+1
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! - 03/29/21 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by vonBaur
Originally Posted by Zamzow

+1

+2

My mate was getting new solar at home and we had talked about it on messenger. I don't use FB except for messenger and it's an old email i have connected to nothing for at least 10 years, all fake personal info and no pictures. Solar ads on google within the day.

Re: Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! - 03/29/21 03:42 AM

Some peoples devices are so compromised I am sure that it's "contagious".

I am also sure Google et al cheat at every opportunity.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! - 03/29/21 10:41 AM

But...but...I thought Google was one of them "progressive" companies?
Posted By: Dart

Re: Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! - 04/02/21 11:38 PM

I (heart) advertising computer algorithms.

On Facebook, I always share lingerie advertisements, especially from Wish, with the goal being that I wondered when I would get one for a "marital aid." It was a fine game, and it only took eight months before I hit jackpot. A bluetooth enabled, smart phone controlled "personal massage device" popped up.

Winner!

It's also a huge mess of random stuff around a core of Airplane Stuff, Firearm Stuff, Army Stuff, and Lingerie/Cosplay. They're really guessing hard, from burr bits to gardening tools. It's also not sure if I'm straight or not, as I get ads for Gay Paraphernalia semi-regularly. darts-pony
© 2024 SimHQ Forums