homepage

Social Security Scam

Posted By: rwatson

Social Security Scam - 03/10/21 12:28 PM

Got a call last night
"Hi Russ your social security number has been compromised" It's a scam that is on the rise and they want you to verify your S.S. number..Well I might have been born at night but  it sure as heck wasn't last night..S.S. will never call you on the phone they only send letters and they sure as hell wouldn't call me Russ ..When I talk with them it's Mr.Watson always.
Did a google and this type of scam is on the rise fast..I'm sure the members here are savvy enough not to take the bait..But I do think about the seniors who aren't computer literate and not up to speed on the latest scams
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/10/21 12:33 PM

The Social Security scam calls have been around for a long time now and while the vast majority of people recognize this as a scam there will be that one person out of 100 who will fall for it.

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/10/21 01:12 PM

Yeah PM like the ones from the grandson who is in jail in Mexico and wire bail... The first sentence got me hanging up Hi Russ your social security number has been compromised,,googling it shows it is on the up rise..Probably because of the stimulus checks..

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/10/21 01:29 PM

I think people who are responsible for those scam calls should be hung upside down by their private parts for a few hours but that's just my personal preference.

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/10/21 01:43 PM

Sounds right with me PM
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/10/21 02:52 PM

I was in a bank a while back. There was an older gentleman in there who was very upset. It seemed he had been scammed into giving up his account information to one of these guys, and his account was cleaned out. The panic in this guys voice was awful. The lady waiting on me said they see it quite often. You have to be a special kind of scum bag to do that to people.
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/10/21 03:27 PM

IRS. Credit Card. Bank Account. Anyone call and say they with those 3 and want to double check your account # becuase they been hacked, they are scamming. Never tell anyone your info on the phone no matter who those anyone say they are. The IRS will never call you. If you have unpaid taxes, you will get official letter from them in the postal.

Now there are also Covid vaccine scam, offering to get you vaccinated without waiting or put you on a "quicker" waiting list for a price or someone will come to where you are to vaccinate you for $400-1000. The vaccine is free free free free don't matter if you have insurance or don't.

Also plenty of scams involving the stimulus checks, promising you will receive it faster or receive more than the $1200/$600/$1400 that's approved by congress. All you need is give those criminals your bank account info.

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/10/21 03:31 PM

The list of blocked numbers on both my personal and work cellphones is now ridiculously long. Recently these scammer a$$holes have been using "unknown" numbers so they can't be blocked.

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/10/21 03:42 PM

Block them and their calls still come thru. I have dozens of block # for the car warranty. 2-3 each week they call. I seen numbers from 2 dozen states. I don't answer but the voice mail gets part of their recorded message: Thank you for calling extended auto warranty. Press 1 for...
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/10/21 03:58 PM

Scamming has now branched out to big business too.

I had to replace a phone, and have been with one of the big three wireless providers for over 16 years, same number even. I walked into their local office, explained to the girl I wanted the most inexpensive, not latest/greatest iPhone they have and I wanted everything on my minimal plan to stay the same.

I completely trusted that company, as they have been very good and completely honest with me in the past. I walked out of there with my new phone. A day later I get an email from them estimating my new monthly bill...and it had DOUBLED! The girl at the store had tacked on everything I didn't want...more data...insurance...some fast upgrade crap, all my discounts had been cut in half...I was livid. cuss

It took one phone call, reminding them of the state and federal FELONY charges for defrauding a senior citizen. My bill is now less than it was previously , including the new phone charge. I should have let them get me for one month's charges, so I would have had actual monetary damages and sued the crap out of them. They claim now that the store is run by "contractors", that's funny it just has their company's name on it in huge letters.

Taking advantage of seniors honesty and even ignorance is becoming a business norm and it pisses me off.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/10/21 04:00 PM

I don't know if you get this in the USA but here get calls about a couple of credit card transactions, Visa, one is usually about $200 and the the other over $500. Since I don't have credit cards I know it is a scam. It is a precorded message that that says press 1 to connect.
Posted By: Allen

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/10/21 04:20 PM

I got the/a Social Security call just yesterday.

Like many folks, I don't ever pickup the phone -- unless I know the caller is legit.

Just listened to the message they left as they were stating it -- without picking up the phone.

Something similar happened a few months back.
Posted By: Herman

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/10/21 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Allen
Like many folks, I don't ever pickup the phone -- unless I know the caller is legit.

Just listened to the message they left as they were stating it -- without picking up the phone.

Same here. If it was important, they would leave a message or try to call back later.

I also activated my call block feature for unknown numbers. Unfortunately, this has blocked my doctor, who is working from home. Understandably, he deactivated his caller ID so that patients do not discover his home phone number and bother him at his private residence, but this also means that he is blocked from calling me. His inconvenience is that he must call me only when he actually visits his own office and uses a phone with active caller ID.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/10/21 08:12 PM

These type of scam call centers seem almost impossible to stop. Our federal government couldn't do #%&*$# thing about it even if they wanted to. They are like cock roaches, kill one and another pops up.

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/10/21 08:20 PM

Just saw on my missed call I missed 4 calls this week and have 4 voice mails. All 4 are extended auto warranty.
Posted By: JimK

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/10/21 09:02 PM

Wife and myself just got new phones with local number for out here. Old phones died.Went with Straight Talk from Walmart and our new numbers are recycled. Get calls from people who used the number
before. And now we are getting scam calls. I google the numbers and find many of them are. Block list grows by the day.
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/11/21 12:27 AM

Funny thing is I've had two instances where similar calls ended up turning out legit.

One was my bank - not asking for any SS info, but some kind of personal info, and I was just "Yeah right, screw you scammer", hung up, went to the bank and reported it (I was already going there for some other reason), and some guy at a desk behind the tellers walked up and said "Yeah that was me" - and it was!

The other was the unemployment office, years ago, and this caller WAS asking me to verify the last 4 of my SS number. On a SATURDAY. Plus they never call you unless it's for a scheduled phone interview. So like above I told the guy to eff off, he said he'd send a notice.

Well I GOT that notice in the mail, called unemployment (again years ago when you could realistically DO that, with some difficulty), told the girl how shocked I was that this was legit, citing the points above, she replies "Yeah we've been having problems with that!".

Apparently they were dealing with a backlog due to the Great Recession and were working Saturdays at the time for a while, and doing some things unconventionally too...
Posted By: Herman

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/11/21 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by LB4LB
These type of scam call centers seem almost impossible to stop. Our federal government couldn't do #%&*$# thing about it even if they wanted to. They are like cock roaches, kill one and another pops up.

I wonder if there might be some way to introduce a virus into their computers. Maybe a recipient could invite a scam-caller to join or enter a chat/share session.
Posted By: Khai

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/16/21 07:02 AM

"On this day in 1875, Alexander Graham Bell made the very first telephone call. Moments later, he found out his auto warranty was in need of renewal......"
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/16/21 09:28 AM

hahaha Nice one.

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/16/21 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Khai
"On this day in 1875, Alexander Graham Bell made the very first telephone call. Moments later, he found out his auto warranty was in need of renewal......"

My gut feeling is to call BS on that incident. We all know that phone scammers didn't exist back then. wink
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Social Security Scam - 03/16/21 11:59 AM

That joke reminds me of the one where John Logie Baird announces that he's just invented the television and says 'but there's bugger all on'.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums