homepage

Noise pollution

Posted By: KraziKanuK

Noise pollution - 03/08/21 07:11 PM

Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Noise pollution - 03/09/21 03:22 PM

Lovely. There is no club racing around here any more. The noise , the smell .....there is nothing like it smile
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Noise pollution - 03/09/21 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by No105_Archie
There is no club racing around here any more.

Is that due to changes in local laws or maybe the hobby died out?
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Noise pollution - 03/09/21 06:54 PM

Noting to do with local laws...it has just gotten too expensive; and the younger crowd are much more interested in how "connected " the car is their phone than in how fast it goes.
There is a stock car track just west of here but I expect the Covid will do that in because they can't hold events , concerts etc.
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Noise pollution - 03/09/21 07:16 PM

My experience is that younger performance enthusiasts are at least as knowledgeable and dedicated as they ever were, but money is a problem, seeing as their generation has only a fraction of the buying power at the same age as their parents did.

Also, they tend to be into different motorsports, while drag racing remains very popular, its "time attack" and drifting that increasingly seem to be their medicine of choice when it comes to circuit racing.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Noise pollution - 03/09/21 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by No105_Archie
Noting to do with local laws...it has just gotten too expensive; and the younger crowd are much more interested in how "connected " the car is their phone than in how fast it goes.
There is a stock car track just west of here but I expect the Covid will do that in because they can't hold events , concerts etc.

My brother is an old fashioned Mopar gear head. He has spent many years at local drag strips. Now that he is retired he works part time at Milan Drag Strip. He says they still get the old guys like him who were always covered in grease, sweat, and dirt. He says they are becoming fewer and fewer. Now the thing is kids with their new 700 HP Dodge Challengers. They all are very skilled at hooking up the laptop and tweaking the vehicle to its max potential, but many of them don't get too dirty.

Oh and KK, those open wheel vehicles are beautiful..
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Noise pollution - 03/09/21 08:50 PM

A family friend and his 2 brothers back in the '70s used to restore old Indy cars. They stopped as it became toooo expensive to do. They still tinker with cars.

Yes LB4LB they are.

I don't really know about Canada ** but in the USA some tracks have been shut down due to complaints from those who moved into the area (think of airports).

** back in the early '60s they used to race stock cars at the Exhibition grounds (Lansdowne Park) but there was complaints about noise so the track was moved to the boonies.

Re: Noise pollution - 03/09/21 09:09 PM

I wonder if future advances in 3D printing will help restore some of the interest in running older vehicles?

Already we're seeing previously unobtainable parts being printed for a variety of cars, although its mostly trim and interior pieces at this point.

It would be nice to eventually be able to replace virtually every component if need be.
Posted By: W-Molders

Re: Noise pollution - 03/09/21 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
I wonder if future advances in 3D printing will help restore some of the interest in running older vehicles?

Already we're seeing previously unobtainable parts being printed for a variety of cars, although its mostly trim and interior pieces at this point.

It would be nice to eventually be able to replace virtually every component if need be.

remember those 67 camaros and .. 68 mustangs .. sh1t like that... I think you are old enough to remember ... THEY COULDNT GIVE THOSE CARS AWAY.. I remember seeing them on the side of the road for like 1500 bucks... RUNNING... now a RUNNING chassis of a mess of any muscle car is 25K LOL

Re: Noise pollution - 03/09/21 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by W-Molders
remember those 67 camaros and .. 68 mustangs .. sh1t like that... I think you are old enough to remember ... THEY COULDNT GIVE THOSE CARS AWAY.. I remember seeing them on the side of the road for like 1500 bucks... RUNNING... now a RUNNING chassis of a mess of any muscle car is 25K LOL

Prices have come up even on '70s 'decay era" sh*tboxes...

https://journal.classiccars.com/2019/10/29/inexplicably-restored-1970-ford-pinto-sedan/

Heck, I'm hearing from performance engine builders that good used cores for once ultra common engines like the Chevy small block and Honda B series are starting to become harder to find and more expensive, now that they've been out of mass production for 20 years.

I can only imagine how hard it would be at this point to find components for some '60s Indy car.
Posted By: WolverineFW

Re: Noise pollution - 03/19/21 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Crane Hunter

Also, they tend to be into different motorsports, while drag racing remains very popular, its "time attack" and drifting that increasingly seem to be their medicine of choice when it comes to circuit racing.

https://driving.ca/bmw/4-series/aut...-into-parked-mercedes-causing-50k-damage
© 2024 SimHQ Forums