homepage

Neat — Latest DJI drone

Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Neat — Latest DJI drone - 03/06/21 03:02 AM

Darn, that is some cool tech right there.

Motion sickness anyone?

Cheers,
Slug
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Neat — Latest DJI drone - 03/06/21 03:12 AM

Darn, I was gawking at the last DJI generation! matrix

Really cool stuff. I am still really surprised some hot coder has not come up with a good point and click video editor. We are flying weird helicopters on Mars and no one can make a simple, but expansible, video editor. RTFM
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Neat — Latest DJI drone - 03/06/21 04:52 AM

It's definitely a cool drone, but FPV drone flying is not really new, this is more like DJI finally getting into doing it.

Here's some scenic FPV flying from years ago:

And Drone Racing from 2015:
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: Neat — Latest DJI drone - 03/07/21 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Arthonon
It's definitely a cool drone, but FPV drone flying is not really new, this is more like DJI finally getting into doing it.

According to this guy they've come up with some big innovations though.

I wouldn't know since I know nothing of the topic, but I sure want to get into it now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTHWtBEqllU
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Neat — Latest DJI drone - 03/07/21 02:28 AM

I'd love one of these, but the laws governing drones in Canada are too much of a hassle.

Re: Neat — Latest DJI drone - 03/07/21 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Zamzow
Originally Posted by Arthonon

According to this guy they've come up with some big innovations though.

I wouldn't know since I know nothing of the topic, but I sure want to get into it now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTHWtBEqllU

I didn't watch his whole video, but some of the things he references seem a little out of date. For example, there have been FPV drones that are turn-key for a few years, and ones that have camera tilt, etc.

That's not to day that DJI's drone isn't good, or an improvement in many ways, but it's not really a breakthrough. It looks like they made it more consumer-friendly, which is good, and it's probably better for video content creation than racing, so it's kind of a different tool to meet a different need.
Posted By: RedOneAlpha

Re: Neat — Latest DJI drone - 03/07/21 09:04 PM

I watch alot of Bushcraft and nature content videos and the Mavic Mini is used alot.

Downside are the restrictive laws around drones, if it wasent for that, I would already own a Mavic Mini (DJI).

Re: Neat — Latest DJI drone - 03/07/21 11:32 PM

That's some great scenery! I have a Mavic Mini (first generation), but because it doesn't make much of a difference in usage restrictions in the US, I haven't used it as much as my Mavic Air 2.

In other countries, the under-250 gram size makes it easier to find places to use the Mini, but in the US, the only difference is that you don't need to register the Mini - all of the other flight restrictions are the same, so it doesn't really matter which you use while flying. The Air 2 has a few features that the Mini, or even the Mini 2, don't have, so I prefer using that.

The cameras on both are stabilized with a 3-axis gimbal, but I think you can lock out the roll stabilization to get more of an FPV look to the footage, but I haven't tried that. I think it depends on the kind of shots you're looking for, and how good of a pilot you are. I'm not that good so I go with slow and steady shots for now.

Posted By: W-Molders

Re: Neat — Latest DJI drone - 03/08/21 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
I'd love one of these, but the laws governing drones in Canada are too much of a hassle.

wonder what a good drone is for tactical squad use... I need to look into that..
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Neat — Latest DJI drone - 03/08/21 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by W-Molders

wonder what a good drone is for tactical squad use... I need to look into that..

What about using drones in those parts of Canada that barely have any people? In other words, those parts of Canada that are more than 100 miles from the US/Canadian border. wink
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Neat — Latest DJI drone - 03/08/21 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

What about using drones in those parts of Canada that barely have any people? In other words, those parts of Canada that are more than 100 miles from the US/Canadian border. wink

I'd be mostly interested in checking out cityscapes if I could, and wouldn't want to spend $1600+ just to be limited to flying around in the boonies.

Re: Neat — Latest DJI drone - 03/08/21 05:11 PM

I saw a video a while ago where a Canadian was talking about the laws governing drone use in Canada, and he said something like the laws made it so that almost no one could fly them, and for those that could, there was almost no where to fly.

But for reference, you can get a DJI Mini 2 for around $550CDN, I believe. And it's under 250g, so that makes it a little easier to use in Canada, from what I understand. It's actually a pretty capable drone.
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Neat — Latest DJI drone - 03/08/21 07:30 PM

Visual observer required for FPV flight:

https://dronedj.com/2021/01/08/will-it-be-legal-to-fly-djis-new-fpv-drone-people-are-asking/

Bummer, because I was excited.

Re: Neat — Latest DJI drone - 03/08/21 07:50 PM

Yes, drones in general must be kept in sight, so flying beyond visual range in a non-FPV drone is also prohibited, although I think if you get a secondary observer further away that you are in constant contact with, that can be allowed.
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Neat — Latest DJI drone - 03/09/21 03:24 PM

If you don't mind spending a fair chunk of money, check out the Skydio X2D. Made in the USA, no less.

If you don't want the thermal camera capability, the Skydio 2 might be a good choice for ease of use... but it doesn't have the folding arms that have become fashionable for easy transport in backpacks, etc.
Posted By: RedOneAlpha

Re: Neat — Latest DJI drone - 03/09/21 09:26 PM

© 2024 SimHQ Forums