homepage

Poorly written historical pieces

Posted By: oldgrognard

Poorly written historical pieces - 02/25/21 07:28 AM

Am I the only one who opens articles only to find that they are very poorly written and labeled ?

Such as this:

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/b...eadliest-big-guns-axis-and-allies-178268
Posted By: RedToo

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 02/25/21 09:01 AM

I listen to the radio to find that presenters cannot speak grammatically correct English. smile
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 02/25/21 11:46 AM

In our social media age the trend is to make article titles "click-bait" by wording them sensationalized as much as possible.

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 02/25/21 12:03 PM

I also find it funny how the article mentions "AXIS" in its title but only German artillery pieces are mentioned. I guess he forgot about Japan, Finland, Romania, Hungary, Italy, etc?

The author at least deserves SOME credit for not using the flippant and ubiquitous "NAZI" when discussing the German military.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 02/25/21 12:37 PM

It is difficult to find 'news' or even opinion pieces that are grammatically correct. I find that even 'news' presenters are tending to make both language and grammar mistakes when reporting and reading on air. It makes me cringe when compared to news readers from my youth listening to CBC , BBC and whichever American station had Walter Cronkite.

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 02/25/21 01:23 PM

I was disturbed to read a historical piece and discover what they listed as “ The Deadliest Big Guns from the Axis and Allies”. Only the 155 Howitzer had any right to be in that list. How can they justify 20mm as a big gun ? And including 60, 80, and 81mm mortars in an article about the “deadliest big guns” is laughable.

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 02/25/21 01:42 PM

And another example. This gives all the lead-up to the battle but stops short of it. So the title just isn’t right. It leaves you confused as to whether they meant the initial capture of the “now abandoned structure”. It ends with “ This was the scene when Clark led his men across the flooded landscape of Illinois in one of the most inspiring and important events in American history.” And then nothing is said of this “most inspiring and important events in American history.”

https://www.greensburgdailynews.com...7c95acf-90af-51af-9b1c-da7e007bd557.html

It should have included this. This was the capture of Fort Sackville that was important.

http://ss.sites.mtu.edu/mhugl/2017/12/01/battle-of-fort-sackville/

Posted By: vocatx

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 02/25/21 02:05 PM

I really enjoy historical documentaries, but in the last few years especially, the quality of them has gone down and mistakes are much more common. I've found that some of the best 'documentaries' are produced by individuals on You Tube as opposed to traditional producers such as the now laughable 'History Channel' and others.

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 02/25/21 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by vocatx
I really enjoy historical documentaries, but in the last few years especially, the quality of them has gone down and mistakes are much more common. I've found that some of the best 'documentaries' are produced by individuals on You Tube as opposed to traditional producers such as the now laughable 'History Channel' and others.

+1

The fundamental issue here is that the History Channel and other TV/cable networks have large overhead costs so they have the financial pressure to make programming that will appeal to the widest possible audience (ie "dumbing down").
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 02/25/21 03:19 PM

Accuracy in reporting doesn't seem to matter with todays media. It's all about the likes and hits.

Having skimmed the article, I am quite sure anyone who had served on either side on the eastern front might wonder about the lack of soviet heavy weapons. The guy wrote the article with blinders on.
Posted By: Herman

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 02/25/21 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by No105_Archie
It is difficult to find 'news' or even opinion pieces that are grammatically correct. I find that even 'news' presenters are tending to make both language and grammar mistakes when reporting and reading on air. It makes me cringe when compared to news readers from my youth listening to CBC , BBC and whichever American station had Walter Cronkite.

Listening to those fools butcher the English language makes me want to vomit.

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 02/25/21 05:03 PM

And on the topic of 60mm mortars.

https://www.gunspot.com/listings/detail/7034/60mm-mortar/

That would be nice in my collection.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 02/25/21 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
And on the topic of 60mm mortars.

https://www.gunspot.com/listings/detail/7034/60mm-mortar/

That would be nice in my collection.

Error 1020
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 02/25/21 07:23 PM

Cool. Link worked fine for me.

Your thought police blocking it KraziK?

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 02/25/21 07:29 PM

I googled "error 1020" and read that this usually results from a firewall of some kind blocking access.

I was able to access the link as well.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 02/25/21 09:13 PM

Error 1020 Ray ID: 627467ba9b61ab64 • 2021-02-25 21:09:03 UTC
Access denied
What happened?
This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks.

Doesn't look it is from my end.
Posted By: BlueHeron

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 02/25/21 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Herman
Originally Posted by No105_Archie

Listening to those fools butcher the English language makes me want to vomit.

No kidding, it's almost shocking when I happen upon old news footage from the CBC. Even random people interviewed on the street had more intellect and sophistication in their use of language than today's presenters.
Posted By: Dart

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 02/26/21 01:27 AM

The worst is the replacement of the T sound with a D.

Mountain becomes Moundain. I heard a reporter on NPR say she was "cerdain" of something.

Irritating as hell.

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 02/28/21 08:05 PM

Here is another one. Go to the left side and look for — Civil War: Moore’s Creek Bridge. Open it and you find it isn’t the Civil War but the American Revolution.

https://www.realclearhistory.com/
Posted By: WhoCares

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 03/01/21 10:08 AM

Well, these days they showed a documentary here "Mega projects of the Nazis - Pearl Harbor" jawdrop

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 03/01/21 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by WhoCares
Well, these days they showed a documentary here "Mega projects of the Nazis - Pearl Harbor" jawdrop

Do you have any info on it? I’m assuming this was on German tv?
Posted By: Lieste

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 03/01/21 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by WhoCares

Animal House...
Posted By: WhoCares

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 03/01/21 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Do you have any info on it? I’m assuming this was on German tv?

Yes, German TV, but a British documentary from 2018,
Seems it's from this: Nazi Megastructures, season 6, America's war.
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: Poorly written historical pieces - 03/01/21 01:04 PM

No K18? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17_cm_Kanone_18
© 2024 SimHQ Forums