homepage

Math - what is the correct answer?

Posted By: KraziKanuK

Math - what is the correct answer? - 02/24/21 01:29 PM

Posted By: Spidey

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 02/24/21 01:38 PM

Parenthesis / Multiplication-Division / Add-Subtract / left to right so 60 / 5 first then 12 * 2 = 24
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 02/24/21 02:03 PM

I was never a "math person" when I went to school. I hated the subject. biggrin
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 02/24/21 02:42 PM

I agree with Spidey on the order of operations.
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 02/24/21 04:24 PM

Both of my above-average Casio calculators (fx-115ES PLUS and fx-9750GII) gave the answer of 6.

On a related note...

I wonder why they allow you to use a graphing calculator (like my fx-9750GII) for college entrance exams. Seems like cheating to me as it can solve almost every math problem they give you, even giving you a natural (notebook) display (think fractions and radicals). At most you may have to do some pre-input factoring or isolation of a specific variable, or make the equation equal to zero before entering, but even some free-style input is usually accepted. This is way more than just built-in trig tables.

Also, Windows 10 has a slick graphing calculator.
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 02/24/21 04:33 PM

6. Did not need to watch the video. Just saw the preview image. Did not use a calculator. Calculator should not be permitted in school until High School for high math. I see kids using calculator starting in kindergarten. That will not help them in life.

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 02/24/21 05:00 PM

NFB, I worked it out correctly in my head as well, factoring vs. subtracting within the parenthesis, the only way I know it's done. The problem shows the fault of some calculators, including Windows 10 Scientific.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 02/24/21 05:01 PM

The calculator does not know math theory. It just does operations as you instruct it. The mathematically correct answer is 24

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 02/24/21 05:04 PM

Oops, maybe I didn't work it correctly (6). Must come back to this.
Posted By: Lieste

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 02/24/21 05:10 PM

Is it? Maybe, but what if you replace 5(7-5) by 5C, where C=(7-5)

Would you still multiply the whole by C, or treat 5C as the divisor.

If an explicit multiplication sign were shown between A/B and (C) then I would certainly treat it as being 24... with the implicit multiplication ~ it becomes ambiguous and could represent a physical situation where you have A/(BC) or one where you have AC/B, and an answer of 6 or 24 according to the meaning behind the badly written equation....

I would want to know what the application was and what resulted in that form, to be sure I was applying the order of operations not just "correctly" but appropriately and correctly, as there are competing
Posted By: Allen

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 02/24/21 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lieste

Yes, I have a "math background" (through/including graduate school - "A"s) and I got "6".

Why? 60+5(7-5) is not the same as 60+5x(7-5). With the "x" missing before the (), the 5(7-5) is treated as a computational group -- as like you say 5C where C is (7-5).

My calculator agrees: By the calculator 60+5x(7-5) = 24 ; whereas, by the calculator 60+5(7-5) = 6.

But, at a minimum, the video shows that some folks see it differently -- so, one needs to be careful that they are not misunderstood.
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 02/24/21 05:42 PM

12 x 2 = 24
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 02/24/21 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
6. Did not need to watch the video. Just saw the preview image. Did not use a calculator. Calculator should not be permitted in school until High School for high math. I see kids using calculator starting in kindergarten. That will not help them in life.

Watch the video.
Posted By: malibu43

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 02/25/21 01:23 AM

OK. So the part I don't get is that, if you follow PEMDAS, you do 7-5 first, so that's 2. But multiplication comes before division, so shouldn't you multiply the 5x2 next, and divide 60 by 10?

Maybe I should watch the video...

edit - Oh, I see now. Multiplication/Division are left to right...
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 02/25/21 01:45 AM

I need my old Texas Instruments calculator for this one. Back in the day, it was way cooler than a slide rule.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 03/01/21 03:20 AM

Here's Dell tech supports answer:

"It must be cultural!"

Posted By: Khai

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 03/01/21 09:25 AM

I quote...

Hooray for New Math
New-hoo-hoo Math
It won't do you a bit of good to review Math
It's so simple
So very simple
That only a child can do it!

Tom Leher

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 03/01/21 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by malibu43
OK. So the part I don't get is that, if you follow PEMDAS, you do 7-5 first, so that's 2. But multiplication comes before division, so shouldn't you multiply the 5x2 next, and divide 60 by 10?

Maybe I should watch the video...

edit - Oh, I see now. Multiplication/Division are left to right...

Multiplication and Division is same priority. Not multiplication before division. Its left to right.

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 03/01/21 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Allen

Yes, I have a "math background" (through/including graduate school - "A"s) and I got "6".

Why? 60+5(7-5) is not the same as 60+5x(7-5). With the "x" missing before the (), the 5(7-5) is treated as a computational group -- as like you say 5C where C is (7-5).

My calculator agrees: By the calculator 60+5x(7-5) = 24 ; whereas, by the calculator 60+5(7-5) = 6.

But, at a minimum, the video shows that some folks see it differently -- so, one needs to be careful that they are not misunderstood.

You don't group 5(7-5)....you can only group what is within the parenthesis. Only if you write (5(7-5))
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Math - what is the correct answer? - 03/12/21 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Spidey
Originally Posted by Allen

You don't group 5(7-5)....you can only group what is within the parenthesis. Only if you write (5(7-5))

I came back to this while looking through a spreadsheet and I trust Allen, the former NASA engineer.

When I did this last month I also came up with 6, and I do math for a living. To me, the 5 grouped with the parenthesis gives precedence over the divisor operand, thus you do the 5 * (result of 7-5) before you do the division of 60.

You are correct, however, in saying the double parentheses would make this clearer. I disagree with the youtube video.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums