Posted By: RossUK

NASA Perseverance - 02/18/21 07:28 PM

Good luck for a safe landing!
Posted By: DM

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/18/21 07:34 PM

Watching it live now. Good luck to all.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/18/21 08:03 PM

Going try watching on this NASA link. Any better suggestions?

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/18/21 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by LB4LB
Going try watching on this NASA link. Any better suggestions?

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/

Think that's the best option to be honest. Though bandwidth is not the best right now.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/18/21 09:01 PM

Very cool to watch, thanks for the heads up.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/18/21 09:39 PM

FYI NASA have their own Twitch TV channel https://www.twitch.tv/nasa
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/18/21 10:05 PM

Looks like it got down OK. It has a little helo on it as well, so this seems like it will be a pretty cool mission, and I hope it will provide some good info and dramatic imagery.
Posted By: rwatson

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/18/21 10:06 PM

I watched it on my cable NASA channel..I wasn't in a place where I could watch the moon landings and loved watching this

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/18/21 10:08 PM

It was truly superb and I found it quite emotional. Bravo, NASA.

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/18/21 10:23 PM

I know I sound like a grumpy old man, but I really wish there was a more popular excitement about such an incredible achievement. It seems that the world could use a bit of a win right now, and I think today was one.

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/18/21 10:28 PM

I know I sound like a grumpy old man, but I really wish there was a more popular excitement about such an incredible achievement. It seems that the world could use a bit of a win right now, and I think today was one.

Totally agree. I was surprised to see it top of sky news for a bit. It'll fade quickly I'm sure.

The gravity of what that team have done cannot be overstated.
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/18/21 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by RossUK

Totally agree. I was surprised to see it top of sky news for a bit. It'll fade quickly I'm sure.

The gravity of what that team have done cannot be overstated.

Right there with you guys. I don't know about the gravity, but the achievement is nothing to sneeze at. Just as in shooting or archery, the farther away your target is the more things can happen between here and there. Then the complexity of the touchdown, itself. We still don't know a lot about weather on Mars, and the wrong gust of wind at the wrong moment and it's "back to the drawing board".

Originally Posted by Arthonon
Looks like it got down OK. It has a little helo on it as well, so this seems like it will be a pretty cool mission, and I hope it will provide some good info and dramatic imagery.

Gotta love the media. The NBC report I saw on it said that the reason the drone had two sets of rotors was because the Martian atmosphere is so thin. I guess he never heard of torque and counter-rotating propellers. I mean, it's only been a thing on aircraft since December 17, 1903.
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/18/21 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by vonBaur
Originally Posted by RossUK
[quote=Arthonon]Looks like it got down OK. It has a little helo on it as well, so this seems like it will be a pretty cool mission, and I hope it will provide some good info and dramatic imagery.

Gotta love the media. The NBC report I saw on it said that the reason the drone had two sets of rotors was because the Martian atmosphere is so thin. I guess he never heard of torque and counter-rotating propellers. I mean, it's only been a thing on aircraft since December 17, 1903.

[Linked Image]

You can find that on your cheapie little RC helicopters even, for that thin Earth atmosphere...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Catfish

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/19/21 10:18 AM

Good landing, congrats! And the third one in a short time thumbsup
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/19/21 11:35 AM

For the general public you need something visceral that they can relate to in order for space exploration to be interesting for them. This is precisely why interest was high during the Cold War because it was a US vs. USSR thing and also why interest waned after the Cold War was over. It also didn't help that for a long time, NASA's space "exploration" mostly consisted of using a glorified space truck (space shuttle).
Posted By: DM

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/19/21 04:18 PM

In defense of the non-space nerd public, the event was basically a room of people suddenly cheering 11 minutes late biggrin not too much to see.

But, as a space nerd, I was rivetted by the speed/velocity etc. telemetry coming in biggrin.

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/19/21 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by DM
In defense of the non-space nerd public, the event was basically a room of people suddenly cheering 11 minutes late biggrin not too much to see.

Precisely. And photos of Mars? They can just go on Google and see a ton of high quality images. It's pretty much a case of been there, done that, now let me get back to my Kardashians and Tiger King.
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/19/21 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by DM

Precisely. And photos of Mars? They can just go on Google and see a ton of high quality images. It's pretty much a case of been there, done that, now let me get back to my Kardashians and Tiger King.

NASA is hoping more for Cardassians... wink

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/19/21 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by CyBerkut

NASA is hoping more for Cardassians... wink

Oh yes. If that were to happen then that would be a complete game changer! I myself would like to see some Shadow ships uncovered on Mars. Let's see how many here get that reference. smile
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/19/21 08:06 PM

I'm mostly stoked about the concept of having a FLYING piece of kit there - even if flying was the ONLY thing it managed! That is just so cool!

And especially considering the atmosphere being 1% as dense as ours - I've read it's the equivalent of trying to fly a helicopter (I guess more accurately a similar size "helicopter drone") at 100,000 feet here!

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/19/21 08:10 PM

I guess we can all be glad that NASA didn't try some cringe worthy celebrity tie in to promote a wider public interest. We could have had some Carbi B. / K-pop presentation.
Posted By: RedToo

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/19/21 10:54 PM

Great pic Perseverance 2 metres above the ground:

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8866/nasas-perseverance-rover-sends-sneak-peek-of-mars-landing/
Posted By: Nixer

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/20/21 02:08 AM

Cool, hadn't seen this.

Certainly unique looking.

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/20/21 02:31 AM

Great find Nixer. Does anyone know when this flight is scheduled for ?

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/20/21 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nixer
Cool, hadn't seen this.

Certainly unique looking.

Awesome video of an awesome thing.

I'd propose getting an autonomous flying drone with cameras on MARS is a bigger technological achievement than sending men to the moon - come on, no WAY anyone was doing this in 1969!

Sure, less glamorous to most people, but wow...

I've seen a fair amount of "NASA doesn't know what it's doing" attitude around here lately, I hope maybe this changes some minds. USA!!! (and a shout out to the OTHER countries who are also hitting Mars in new ways at this time!)

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/20/21 10:48 PM

There's a picture in this link of Perseverance on it's way down, taken by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. Insane.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/dizzying-view-perseverance-mid-descent-192840215.html
Posted By: Catfish

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/22/21 10:16 AM

I guess we can all be glad that NASA didn't try some cringe worthy celebrity tie in to promote a wider public interest. We could have had some Carbi B. / K-pop presentation.

Scroll to 1:41 winkngrin

Posted By: kilosierra

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/22/21 02:21 PM

Yeah,

very cool, there was 2 hour live broadcast on TV here, there were two engineers, who worked on the project. Absolutely fascinating stuff, especially this little helo. copter

Greets

Karsten
Posted By: RedToo

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/22/21 07:54 PM

Video and audio of the landing. Good stuff!

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/...es-front-row-seat-to-landing-first-audio
Posted By: Wigean

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/23/21 01:11 AM

That is just fantastic!

Congratulations.
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: NASA Perseverance - 02/23/21 03:34 AM

Landing footage:

https://twitter.com/NASAPersevere?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1363929492138254340%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxbusiness.com%2Flifestyle%2Fnasa-mars-landing-perseverance-rover-first-audio
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: NASA Perseverance - 05/22/21 12:08 PM

Hehe would be hilarious if USA Rover and China Rover have a traffic collision on Mars https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/22/world/china-first-mars-rover-intl-hnk-scn/index.html
© 2024 SimHQ Forums