homepage

Holy cow it's extremely cold !

Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/15/21 01:33 PM

Snow for over a day, windy 16 mph, -7 F, -25 feel chill, windows have ice, can't see outside.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/15/21 01:36 PM

No snow here.

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/15/21 01:39 PM

Florida? Snow and ice better than hurricane.
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/15/21 03:23 PM

No snow or cold here, either.

This is all a sham and we have been bamboozled.

Posted By: vonBaur

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/15/21 04:44 PM

-2 in southwestern Missouri, with snow and a wind chill of about -25. My guess is that a bunch of folks on SimHQ would consider that an improvement, though. Glad I'm retired. Today more than usual.
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/15/21 04:48 PM

There's a reason ice sports aren't popular in these parts; we're not used to this.
Posted By: Herman

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/15/21 05:06 PM

-7 F? That's all?!

We've had -25 F (-49 including Wind Chill) for the past two weeks on the Canadian prairies. Great weather for running. The cold keeps my knees from swelling too much. smile
Posted By: finlander

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/15/21 05:29 PM

I had -42 F this morning...
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/15/21 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Herman
-7 F? That's all?!

We've had -25 F (-49 including Wind Chill) for the past two weeks on the Canadian prairies. Great weather for running. The cold keeps my knees from swelling too much. smile

Don't burn your lungs/
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/15/21 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
No snow here.

Ditto!
[Linked Image]

Attached picture FB_IMG_1612234306823.jpg

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/15/21 08:06 PM

You've got a real mean streak in you, CyBerkut.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/15/21 11:20 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/15/21 11:24 PM

That map shows why I am happy to live in Florida.

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/15/21 11:24 PM

I live in that deep red region. biggrin
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/15/21 11:43 PM

Not sure if extremely humid heat, downpours and hurricanes are much better than dealing with the cold, especially if you live somewhere where you don't have a constant ocean breeze.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/16/21 12:40 AM

Yes, I miss that ocean breeze, but I don't miss shoveling snow. I was probably eleven when I last did it, still hate it.

Beautiful cloudy day most of today, perfect for assembly and first road test of my Prius killer.

Debuting soon in that other thread. winkngrin
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/16/21 02:31 AM

Shoveling is a royal pain. I guess I’ll have put on my shorts, Tshirt, and boat shoes and go out and shovel the accumulated sunshine that CyBerkut showed.
Posted By: Timothy

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/16/21 04:57 AM

It was bitter cold yesterday in CO. Never even made it above zero.

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/16/21 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Shoveling is a royal pain. I guess I’ll have put on my shorts, Tshirt, and boat shoes and go out and shovel the accumulated sunshine that CyBerkut showed.

This t shirt?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/16/21 06:27 AM

On shoveling snow - I have a friend who lives in Massachusetts.

A few years back she was talking about getting 19 inches of snow. She said "At least not as bad as [some other town in the region], they got 22 inches".

I was puzzled at the comment and asked "What's the practical difference between the two?".

She replied "Go out and shovel it off your driveway and you'll know!".

Just a thing you don't realize if you don't live in snow country!

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/16/21 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
Not sure if extremely humid heat, downpours and hurricanes are much better than dealing with the cold, especially if you live somewhere where you don't have a constant ocean breeze.

Could be but that sure isn't deterring people from moving to FL in droves!

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/16/21 04:49 PM

Could be but that sure isn't deterring people from moving to FL in droves!

Florida is beautiful, the best looking environ in North America IMO, and would be on the short list of places I would move to if I moved to the U.S.

However the climate is such that I would have chosen SoCal, Arizona or some other sunny region, at least back before they went retard.

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/16/21 04:57 PM

However the climate is such that I would have chosen SoCal, Arizona or some other sunny region, at least back before they went retard.

I know exactly what you mean because I absolutely prefer the dry desert heat to the daily sauna steambath I get in Miami. I was in Vegas during the summer a few years ago and the temp was about 109 degrees but there was also zero percent humidity. I was more comfortable in that than the 90 degree/100 percent humidity weather I get in Miami.

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/16/21 05:25 PM

I know exactly what you mean because I absolutely prefer the dry desert heat to the daily sauna steambath I get in Miami. I was in Vegas during the summer a few years ago and the temp was about 109 degrees but there was also zero percent humidity. I was more comfortable in that than the 90 degree/100 percent humidity weather I get in Miami.

I like to enjoy the outdoors, and I suspect it might be difficult to casually do that in Florida once you get away from the coasts, because of all the bugs and other critters.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/16/21 05:55 PM

I have always found a certain beauty in a cold, bright, sunshiny, snow covered day. I used to love to get bundled up and go for a walk in the woods on a day like that. Snowmobiling, skiing, sledding with the kids, ice fishing, or even hunting on days like that are special. Michigan is a great place for that. Living here you just have to appreciate those days and just grind through the hard parts of winter. I find the heat and humidity times of the year are the worst for me. Stuck inside in air conditioning actually drives me crazy at times.
Posted By: Blade_RJ

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/16/21 06:20 PM

i honestly dont see why people from warmer places want to live where it snow.....maybe on a vacation, sure, its fun, but to live in a place that snow ? no way! ive been to the south, sometimes the ground freezes there and its so cold if you have cloths outiside they become a rock.....why would i want to move from here? shoveling your rooft,car, yard sure sounds fun.
also on a related note, how come new yorkers suvive the winter ? if you go online you see footage of snow dropping from roof, and how dangerous it is......well NY has lots of tall roofs......how they deal with that ?

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/16/21 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Blade_RJ
i honestly dont see why people from warmer places want to live where it snow.....maybe on a vacation, sure, its fun, but to live in a place that snow ?

The only people I know who have done that was purely for financial reasons (ie they got a better paying job).

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/16/21 08:47 PM

A couple of years ago I considered a gold mining job somewhere in northern Ontario, the pay was good, and you could buy a decent house there for less than $75K, but we're talking about living in a bleak little place where its probably effectively winter for 8 months of the year.

I might have gone for it, toughed it out for 5 years and saved a couple hundred thousand, but my health has really fallen off, so I had to scratch that plan.

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/17/21 02:54 AM

Monday it made it up to two degrees Farenheit, with a 20 mph wind, cloudy, and snowed all day. Brutal. A few minutes outside in a parka was miserable.

Tuesday around noon it was about ten degrees, but bright sunshine and nearly no wind. I was outside quite a bit with just a flight jacket, no gloves, and nothing on my head. Very comfortable. Even unzipped my jacket and I wasn't exerting myself in any way.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/17/21 04:25 AM

I like to enjoy the outdoors, and I suspect it might be difficult to casually do that in Florida once you get away from the coasts, because of all the bugs and other critters.

That’s why I like winter so much. All you have to do is avoid sweating when out doing this.

[Linked Image]

And yes, sweating is a danger even on days like this, with wind chill in the -40 range and air temps below zero as well.
Posted By: Herman

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/17/21 04:27 AM

Yup. Moisture accumulation can be a killer.

I would be spending half of my time on mountain peaks either taking off layers or putting some on to control my temperature.

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/19/21 04:53 PM

My internet is back, but not my water pressure. No complaints though after watching Texas on the Weather Channel.
Posted By: Bill_Grant

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/19/21 08:50 PM

Yeah Mark, we didn't have power for over 50-55 hours. Inside the house got down to 41F. Sucked!!! But I don't think any of my pipes have broken.

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/19/21 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bill_Grant
Yeah Mark, we didn't have power for over 50-55 hours. Inside the house got down to 41F. Sucked!!! But I don't think any of my pipes have broken.

I actually had that happen (41 degrees inside) in the apartment I'm sitting in right now - in Sacramento California! It wasn't even because of a blackout - we'd just moved in, and for some reason I can't remember (this was almost ten years ago) we were having trouble for a few days getting the gas turned on. Came REAL close to buying some electric heaters - actually would have in hindsight, but we kept thinking "Well the gas should be turned on by tomorrow".

Turned out this place had NO insulation, and the window frames were so old and shot the blinds would flop around when it was windy out - with the windows closed.

Had those issues not been dealt with I guarantee I wouldn't be sitting in this room right now...

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/19/21 09:20 PM

Back in 2005, I was living in a small town where we had a localized ice storm and we ended up being without power for 10 days.

Inside my apartment, it soon got so cold that huge icicles formed around the windows, all my food froze solid, except for what was inside my fridge, and I had to resort to sleeping in a "tent" I made out of cushions and blankets in my living room, in an heavy duty outdoor sleep bag, and it was still like being in a meat locker.

Luckily, both my workplace and my favorite restaurant had gas generators and were only 2 blocks away, so I could still eat, shower and all that important stuff, otherwise it would have really sucked.

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/20/21 12:19 AM

Note to self: Shop quality sleeping bags and add to survival storage bin. I have some camping supplies in the attic with a couple of sleeping bags (I think), but I don't know if those would cut it in the conditions Bill described.

++++++++++

I'm listening to the sweet sounds of the dishwasher and washing machine churning, our water pressure climbing almost back to normal over the past couple of hours. If it keeps (despite another freeze warning tonight), I'll soon be having a much needed shave and shower (and Fleet Defender/1942 PAW/Subwar 2050/NFS SE will have to wait until tomorrow evening wink ).
Posted By: KRT_Bong

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/20/21 02:54 PM

It's 51 Degrees at 10 am here in Sarasota and that wont stop the crowds from hitting the Beach...I was in shorts yesterday

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/20/21 08:04 PM

I'm back. Water and Gas and Electric and Internet went out be like 2 hours after I wrote this topic. No Heat. No light. We were in the house Monday and Tuesday and finally we were able to get a hotel Wednesday afternoon.

I wore 5 layers and was shivering. Can't sleep but little napes and wake up to realize being cold is not a dream, it's real.

It was 20 in the house and the only heat was the fireplace and we all gathered around it and slept in front of it. No bathe. No cooking. Bread tasted frozen. Colder in living room than in the fridge.

I lay down on the bed in bedroom thats 25 degrees and bed felt like block of ice even with 2 layers of thick comforters over me. Better the floor in front of fireplace. Also my phone had 100% battery on Monday and by Tuesday morning it was dead.

When we got to hotel, first day I slept for 10 hours after taking hot shower and eating room service dinner.

Just got home. Everything working. I missed everyone here.

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/20/21 09:00 PM

You're lucky that you had a fireplace, in my instance I didn't have one in my apartment and I actually considered making a fire in a metal bin in my living room.

The problem was there was no wood lying around outside to be had that wasn't encased in ice, no way for me to chop it, and no way for me to get it burning in that state to begin with.

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/20/21 09:46 PM

If we didn't get that hotel by luck on Wednesday and had to stay here we might have died. Running out of firewood. Nothing to ea after we ate the few cans of stuff, that were iced cold. No Sleep.

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/20/21 10:10 PM

NFB, time to start on your survival bin. And get one of these if you don't have one...
5.3 Gallon 20L Outdoor Portable Toilet

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/20/21 10:20 PM

Dad is reading up on portable generators and how to use them.

Don't think I want to go outside in -4 chill to the portable toilet.

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/20/21 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Dad is reading up on portable generators and how to use them.

Don't think I want to go outside in -4 chill to the portable toilet.

Why would you go outside to use it?

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/20/21 10:38 PM

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/20/21 10:39 PM

I read that people in Texas are getting slapped with massive power bills, in some cases up to $10,000, for RESIDENTIAL.

Supposedly due to extreme low supply and extreme high demand.

I think more than a few people there are going to be rethinking their positions on that, at least when it comes to essentials.

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/20/21 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy

If you had only looked at the link (first pic) and/or thought about it logically...ah, never mind. smile
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/20/21 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Zamzow
I read that people in Texas are getting slapped with massive power bills, in some cases up to $10,000, for RESIDENTIAL.

Supposedly due to extreme low supply and extreme high demand.

I think more than a few people there are going to be rethinking their positions on that, at least when it comes to essentials.

One of my sisters lives south of Dallas. Something about middleman "power companies" offering great entry prices, but includes a small print "price per kw hr is based on demand" clause!

If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/20/21 11:31 PM

Some company tried that here in Michigan a few years ago. The word got out quick they were not good faith actors. They seemed to go after the seniors pretty hard. That's a special kind of scum bag.

Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! - 02/22/21 03:52 PM

There were rolling blackouts not far from me in southwest Missouri and northern Arkansas (none affected me, thankfully). What has concerned me the most about them is that, according to the coverage, they weren't local decisions. There is some sort of energy consortium that runs from northern Texas up to the Canadian border. All of OK, KS, NE, SD, ND, extreme western parts of LA, AR, MO, IA and MN, and extreme eastern parts of NM, CO, WY, and MT, according to the map shown on the news early last week when all this started. Every local power company is subject to the, I guess, board of this outfit, and if they say, "shut down this grid NOW" they have no choice but to do so. For instance, on the local news broadcast Monday night it was announced that no blackouts were expected in the Springfield, MO area, but a lot of people woke up Tuesday morning to subzero (Fahrenheit) temperatures and no electricity and no warning whatsoever. When asked about it, City Utilities said that they were called and told to shut down power immediately. On this morning's program they asked a CU official if firing up the old coal-powered plant would have reduced or eliminated the need for the blackouts (which are still going on) and he said that it wouldn't have made any difference locally because they still have to follow the mandates of the consortium.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums