homepage

yup.....im never getting up or down in one of those

Posted By: Blade_RJ

yup.....im never getting up or down in one of those - 01/23/21 06:58 AM

i put in spoilers because it may have strong content for some people, not so much for me but,hey, i didnt flinch when i got stabed so.....to each its own,right.
its an acident where a sky lift stoped working and people were flung from it, its old but i just found it.
Posted By: Herman

Re: yup.....im never getting up or down in one of those - 01/23/21 07:27 AM

It took them HOW long to hit the Stop button!?

And they try to move potentially injured people from the scene. I wonder if the courts punished them severely for such shoddy operations.
Posted By: W-Molders

Re: yup.....im never getting up or down in one of those - 01/23/21 07:38 AM

Eastern Europe : /
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: yup.....im never getting up or down in one of those - 01/23/21 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Herman

Yes, they needed to quit Stalin and deal with it.
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: yup.....im never getting up or down in one of those - 01/23/21 05:27 PM

What I never understood is why were so many skiers riding the lift DOWN the hill?
Posted By: WolverineFW

Re: yup.....im never getting up or down in one of those - 01/23/21 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Crane Hunter

Yes, they needed to quit Stalin and deal with it.

In Russia no one quit Stalin. Stalin quits you!
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: yup.....im never getting up or down in one of those - 01/24/21 04:06 AM

I had to look it up. Gudauri ski resort is in Georgia (the former Soviet republic that is, not the US state).
Posted By: Herman

Re: yup.....im never getting up or down in one of those - 01/24/21 04:12 AM

Is Gudauri 'still' in Georgia, or did it get 'annexed'?
Posted By: JimK

Re: yup.....im never getting up or down in one of those - 01/24/21 05:18 AM

Video has been out for years. Seen many youtube videos of it.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: yup.....im never getting up or down in one of those - 01/24/21 11:36 AM

I have known a number of friends and acquaintances who were attracted to skiing holidays in Eastern Europe by the low prices compared to the traditional Swiss and Austrian resorts and regretted the experience. Poor standard of travel and accommodation, theft with the collusion of the local police too.
Though to be fair that was not long after the fall of the Soviet regimes.
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: yup.....im never getting up or down in one of those - 01/24/21 05:49 PM

That was disturbing.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: yup.....im never getting up or down in one of those - 01/27/21 12:55 AM

And they try to move potentially injured people from the scene. I wonder if the courts punished them severely for such shoddy operations.

The stop button only shuts the electric motor down, same for the emergency stop. That is what’s called a rollback, you can see the bull wheel (driven wheel, usually at the bottom) is turning backwards so it’s completely decoupled from the drive motor. My guess is the only brake is on the shaft connecting the motor to the gearbox, with a coupling probably gone the brake is useless. What’s making it turn? The weight of the wire rope, chairs, and skiers still on it.

On lifts here in the states there are anti-rollback devices, such as metal blocks on the bull wheel with dogs that ride over the blocks when the wheel is turning forward but engage the blocks to stop the wheel in reverse. Others have a rubber roller that rides on the bull wheel, connected to a tach generator that provides a signal to keep the mechanical brake released but if it stops or turns backward the brake automatically applies. (It’s been 15 years since I worked on lifts so I may have a few of the details wrong.) There should be a mechanical or spring-applied, hydraulically-released brake that physically stops the bull wheel, maybe maintenance is shoddy or maybe standards are lower there.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: yup.....im never getting up or down in one of those - 01/27/21 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Zamzow
What I never understood is why were so many skiers riding the lift DOWN the hill?

See how fast the chairs are going and how they’re throwing people off? The same thing is happening at the unload station.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums