homepage

BEEE S. No Miltary Grade AR-15!

Posted By: NoFlyBoy

BEEE S. No Miltary Grade AR-15! - 01/14/21 10:32 PM

Watching

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...e/season-01/episode-08-guns/vdka21702613

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

BEEE S! There is no military grade AR-15. AR-15 are semi-auto sold to civilians. They want the viewers to think the criminal bought a full auto machine gun from a Marine at the military base in San Diego. That dont look like anything use by military in San Diego: Marines, Coast Guard, Navy.

https://www.sandiego.org/articles/military/military-information.aspx

These are the small arms the Marines, Coast Guard and Navy and none listed look like that thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weapons_of_the_United_States_Marine_Corps#:~:text=4%20Retired-,Weapons%20used,the%20M17%20semi%2Dautomatic%20pistol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_United_States_Navy#Small_Arms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weapons_of_the_United_States_Marine_Corps

Even if it is a full auto weapon from the Marines arsenal, one not listed on the WIKI list, it's still not AR-15.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: BEEE S. No Miltary Grade AR-15! - 01/14/21 10:43 PM

*Laughs in Colt 601*
Posted By: Nixer

Re: BEEE S. No Miltary Grade AR-15! - 01/14/21 11:00 PM

National Geographic.

I remember when they were the Gold Standard of respectability.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: BEEE S. No Miltary Grade AR-15! - 01/14/21 11:19 PM

That is not a military issue “AR15”. As said there isn’t such a thing. But anyway, it isn’t military. The receiver is wrong, stampings are wrong, BUIS sight is wrong, stock is wrong, forearm is wrong, appears the selector switch is wrong, ...

You’d think they could do better.

Re: BEEE S. No Miltary Grade AR-15! - 01/14/21 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
That is not a military issue “AR15”. As said there isn’t such a thing. But anyway, it isn’t military. The receiver is wrong, stampings are wrong, BUIS sight is wrong, stock is wrong, forearm is wrong, appears the selector switch is wrong, ...

The SAS and U.S. special forces were using them in combat prior to the M16 designation...
Posted By: Allen

Re: BEEE S. No Miltary Grade AR-15! - 01/14/21 11:34 PM

Long, long ago I bought an AR-15 commercial version made by Colt.

As I remember, from way back then, the semi-automatic AR-15 did see limited use in actual wartime service and that lead to the AR-16 version -- which looked/worked different in a couple ways. To whit:

Vietnam War
M-16 M-14 and Other Rifle Groups

In the early 1960's, U.S. Special Forces in Vietnam used the AR15 and it was given glowing reports. Although opposed by the Ordnance Corp, the Armalite AR-15 was adopted by the Secretary of Defense as the 5.56mm M16 rifle.

FWIW: Attached are a couple pictures of my AR-15 that I used to make a high fidelity Fallout 3 AR-15 mod (also used in Fallout 4 and Fallout NV). The third attachment is the Fallout AR-15 as it looked in game -- an exact copy of my commercial Colt AR-15.

Attached picture IMG_1957.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1962.JPG
Attached picture Fallout4AR15.jpg

Re: BEEE S. No Miltary Grade AR-15! - 01/14/21 11:38 PM

What model do you think is that?
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: BEEE S. No Miltary Grade AR-15! - 01/14/21 11:51 PM

OK, a minor technical point that here were some experimental and pre-adoption AR15s used by the military. But that isn’t one of them. It certainly wouldn’t be in current inventory. I served for 23 years and never saw one. It doesn’t have the pencil barrel that would be correct that time period. By appearance that is the A2 or HBAR barrel. And all the other things that are wrong for military issue.

Re: BEEE S. No Miltary Grade AR-15! - 01/15/21 12:32 AM

Thank you oldgrognard.

Re: BEEE S. No Miltary Grade AR-15! - 01/15/21 12:38 AM

I can't see the series, or even open the link {blocked in my country} but is it possible that the Marine is just a "straw buyer" and didn't sell an actual service weapon to these traffickers?
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: BEEE S. No Miltary Grade AR-15! - 01/15/21 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nixer
National Geographic.

They were great until the advent of the moronic reality show craze which can be blamed on "Survivor". Soon after that, the NAT GEO channel overhauled their entire programming.
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: BEEE S. No Miltary Grade AR-15! - 01/15/21 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
...is it possible that the Marine is just a "straw buyer" and didn't sell an actual service weapon to these traffickers?

A lot of things are "possible", Crane. It's possible that the guy in the mask is lying to her to get whatever money she paid for an illegal transaction (which, by the way, should have had ATF busting her door down and shutting down the network the next morning) and she just doesn't know a flash suppressor from a hole in the ground. It's possible that the "reporter" and/or people involved in the production knew all along and deliberately lied to get ratings and stir up anger over how "easy" it is for "anyone" to get hold of a "military grade" weapon. But what is absolutely certain is that this is NOT what it's being played up to be. NatGeo should apologize on-air and conduct a serious investigation into how this made it to broadcast. And anyone and everyone who had a hand in the lies needs to be punished, depending on their level of involvement.

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Nixer
National Geographic.

They were great until the advent of the moronic reality show craze which can be blamed on "Survivor". Soon after that, the NAT GEO channel overhauled their entire programming.

thumbsup X infinity
Years ago I watched a lot of their shows. I still haven't removed the channel from my favorites list. But these days I only watch the occasional episode of one series or another when the description sounds interesting. I honestly can't remember the last time that I did.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: BEEE S. No Miltary Grade AR-15! - 01/16/21 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Crane Hunter

The SAS and U.S. special forces were using them in combat prior to the M16 designation...

My assigned weapon in basic training (July-Sept 1986) was an M16A1 with a lower receiver marked “Colt AR15” and with a military serial number. That rifle was at least several years older than I was (17 at the time.)

Re: BEEE S. No Miltary Grade AR-15! - 01/16/21 06:23 AM

we oughta write a letter to NatGeo.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums