homepage

Take-out Chinese food

Posted By: oldgrognard

Take-out Chinese food - 12/14/20 11:18 PM

What’s your favorite ?

Mine is Mongolian beef. Prefer when they do it a bit spicier. I usually ask for a small container of additional spicy sauce.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/14/20 11:32 PM

Mongolian beef is great. I’m also partial to orange chicken and any kind of spicy shrimp. I think it’s usually called Kung Pao shrimp?

Anyway, I doubt I will ever visit China due to many reasons but I am curious to try the food there.
Posted By: SippyCup

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/14/20 11:34 PM

My wife spent a year in China for school, she told me the best food is whatever the rural mothers are putting on the table, none of which resembles "Chinese food" as we know it. As far as Western Chinese goes though, orange chicken and ginger beef all day.
Posted By: WolverineFW

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/14/20 11:42 PM

Hard pass on the Cream of Sum Yung Gui......
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/14/20 11:45 PM

Bawbawque duck and salt fish fried rice with scallop.
Posted By: Azshal

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/15/20 12:05 AM

Kung Pao chicken
Posted By: James McKenzie-Smith

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/15/20 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I doubt I will ever visit China due to many reasons but I am curious to try the food there.

Also check out Anthony Bourdain's Layover series generally, and in this case, Taipei in particular. From my personal experience, I can recommend Singapore, which has its own food as well as food from all over Asia, in probably the cleanest city between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn.

As for the original question...Szechuan tangerine beef, various dim sum goodies, and this restaurant, now fabulously refitted: https://www.jadedynasty.ca/
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/15/20 12:49 AM

Mongolian beef always come with ton of fresh green onions and I have to pick them out. Don't like green onions and onions. We had peking duck one time.

Like this

Posted By: Zamzow

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/15/20 01:39 AM

Strange, this post made me realize while I like Chinese food and have yet to taste any I disliked I can't say I have a favorite type...
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/15/20 05:07 AM

Always get hot and sour soup.
Posted By: Azshal

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/15/20 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by James McKenzie-Smith
I doubt I will ever visit China due to many reasons but I am curious to try the food there.

SerpentZA has really good videos about China.

edit: he is the south african in that vid.

https://www.youtube.com/user/serpentza

The other guy is laowhy86, also has good videos on China.
Posted By: semmern

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/15/20 07:04 AM

Peking duck with rice pancakes, spring onion, cucumber and hoisin sauce. That is tasty!
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/15/20 09:46 AM

Another Mongolian Beef fan here, extra spice and a special fried rice to go with it.

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/15/20 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by semmern
Peking duck with rice pancakes, spring onion, cucumber and hoisin sauce. That is tasty!

You are just so fancy now are you? wink

I've only had duck once in my life so far and I absolutely loved it!
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/15/20 12:01 PM

THats how we were served the Peking duck too. I didn't put the green onion in it. The sauce we ask the waiter what it was and he said sweet plum soy sauce.
Posted By: semmern

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/15/20 12:20 PM

You are just so fancy now are you? wink

I've only had duck once in my life so far and I absolutely loved it!

It is simply how every Chinese place serves it smile

Duck in general is one of my favourite meats!
Posted By: wormfood

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/15/20 05:04 PM

General Tso's chicken.
I remember the Chinese restaurant in Japan had food that was nothing like Chinese food here in the US. Of course, neither was the Mexican food joint. The Italian food was still Italian food, I guess Italian is just universal.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/15/20 05:14 PM

General Tso’s Chicken is my second choice.

I actually like going to the Chinese Buffet and grazing.

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/15/20 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by wormfood
I guess Italian is just universal.

That’s because Italian food is the standard by which all other cuisines in the world are judged. wink
Posted By: rollnloop.

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/15/20 06:48 PM

General tao's my favorite, but panned gyozas are a treat too, and I love Ha Kao.

Now, I don't know if singapore counts, but their black pepper crab is pretty good, if a bit too spicy.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/15/20 09:45 PM

I think most "authentic", "name your fav far east country food" is usually pretty scary.

I mean look what they sell in Chinese markets? behindcouch

Of course, I am a very picky americanized eater...lightly steamed oysters is an exotic delicacy to me.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/15/20 10:47 PM

won ton soup with bbq pork , chicken fried ( or pork or shrimp or any combo of these ) fried rice , almond soo guy
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: Take-out Chinese food - 12/15/20 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Zamzow
Strange, this post made me realize while I like Chinese food and have yet to taste any I disliked I can't say I have a favorite type...

Very similar. There are a few I won't touch again, mainly the really hot ones (can't handle spicy foods any more). But for the most part I like to decide when I get to the restaurant.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums