Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 02:21 PM

sigh
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 03:45 PM

RIP the only true James Bond and Indiana Jones father
Posted By: rwatson

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 03:48 PM

Never watched a 007 movie,,but loved Highlander,,The Rock and the Untouchables RIP!!

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 03:54 PM

Posted By: Chucky

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 03:57 PM

The last film I saw with Sean Connery starring was Zardoz,earlier this year.

I always enjoyed his performances. He was the best Bond I thought.
Posted By: RedOneAlpha

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 04:11 PM

RIP Mr. Sean Connery, Bond, Ramius, Ramirez! He did two of my favorite movies and was my favorite spy and actor. He will be missed!
Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 04:18 PM

frown
One ping only
RIP

Slug
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 05:23 PM

A very sad day... one more of the greats gone. frown
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 05:24 PM

Deleted...
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 05:38 PM

Dragonheart. He was awesome even when it was only his voice on film.
Posted By: semmern

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 06:12 PM

Always enjoyed his movies!

RIP.
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 07:01 PM

Like a lot of people who got into action/adventure movies, his skill as an actor was greatly underappreciated until much later in life (some never are). But also like a lot of people who got into action movies, they were given those roles because it takes a lot of acting talent to pull it off.

Even when he wasn't the star, he was the center of attention.

RIP

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 07:15 PM

Did he hook up with any of the Bond girls? Galore. Honey. Domino. Moneypenney.
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 08:26 PM

I think one of the performances that showed off his acting skills best was Indy's father in The Last Crusade - very much against type, and very fun to watch.
Posted By: JimK

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 08:28 PM

His role in the movie "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" Was fantastic.
Posted By: WalterNowi

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 08:30 PM

RIP, Mr. Connery
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 08:57 PM

RIP Sir Sean

Reading the sad news about Sir Sean today brings back this memory
Back, waaay back, in the deep dark 60s Dad took us out for a run to a little village called Crinan on the west coast of Scotland he had told us nothing about the trip. It was a long drive from our house near Loch Lomond but when we got there there were these great big huge boats on low loader trailers, well they were huge to this little lad, some had bad damage to them looking burned etc. When we parked up and got out the village was full of actors, stunt men and film people, they were in the middle of filming the helicopter and boat chase scenes for From Russia With Love.

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 09:02 PM

This is in a news story. Looks like not all his movie roles were choice. WTF!!

[Linked Image]

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by JimK
His role in the movie "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" Was fantastic.

Yep. Loved him in The Rock as well. Such a cool character. Also, of course, Marko Ramiush the Russhian shubmarine captain. You forgot his accent because he was so awesome. «One ping only, Vassily.»

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 09:13 PM

Dad will always know better, no matter how old you are.

Cool even when looking at death in the eyes!

Posted By: Ajay

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 09:24 PM

Legend down.

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 09:33 PM

That was "Zardoz", NFB. In my opinion, a very forgettable film except for the surprise reveal. PM me if you want the spoiler.

The choice of Connery as Henry Jones Sr. was as obvious as it was fun. Yes, very much against type. I particularly loved when he said that being shot at was "a new experience" for him. But obvious in that Spielberg had loved the James Bond films (Connery's, naturally) growing up and always wanted to do a movie that was set all over the world and had that kind of action and narrow escapes. So 007 is, in many ways, the father of Indiana Jones.
Posted By: Chef

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 09:45 PM

I liked him and Michael Caine in the Man Who Would Be King.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 09:55 PM

He did well in a different kind of role for him in Medicine Man.
Posted By: Tarnsman

A legend is gone.
Sean Connery defined the role of James Bond on film. I really liked him in Red October, another great role was in the Hitchcock film Marnie.
Rest in Peace Sir Sean.

Zardoz. Never heard of it. I watch a Connery film years ago when i was a kid. Came on late night TV. He was a news guy in the Middle East. Can't recall the title . Fell asleep several times. Then there was another movie on late night TV with Connery burglaring a New York apartment. All I can remember is his girlfriend was very pretty.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 10:45 PM

I’m glad that he retired when he did after he made “League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” back in 2003. He had a good 17 years of very well deserved retirement.

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 10/31/20 10:45 PM

You mean "Entrapment" with Catherine Zeta-Jones.
Posted By: KRT_Bong

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/01/20 02:16 AM

Domino: "What sharp little eyes you've got Mr. Bond"
Bond: "Wait til you get to my teeth"

So much cool, RIP Sean, Goodbye Mr. Bond

James Bond will Return
Posted By: Docjonel

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/01/20 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Chef

A nearly forgotten gem and one of my all time favorite movies. The only film he made with Michael Caine (who is now 87 years old), directed by John Huston.

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/01/20 10:59 AM

another classic that is a must mention here in SHQ...

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/01/20 11:10 AM

and how could I forget one of my all time favorite movie and book...

Posted By: BD-123

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/01/20 11:24 AM

Another underrated film of his, "Robin and Marian" (1976)
In which he played an ageing Robin with much understated humour in the script. Such as Robin helping the Sheriff of Nottingham (Robert Shaw) up from of his knees as they pray before their final duel.

Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/01/20 02:54 PM

One of these guys you kinda expect to be around forever, because they seem to have been around forever.

I hope whereever he is now, he's going to have a happy and great time.

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/01/20 02:57 PM

Among Connery’s obscure films I’d say that “Outlander” was quite good. Apparently the director of that film intentionally made the film look like it took place in the same universe as “Alien”. Yes, he was trying to capitalize on the big success of “Alien”.

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/01/20 07:31 PM

He died in a movie? I hope he asked for a couple of millions for dying! He is James Bond. James Bond does not die! Some actors do not die on screen. It's in their contract for every movie: no dying scene, no crying scene. I never seen Stallone and Schwarzenegger and Eastwood and Norris die on screen. Ever see Norris die or cry in Walker Texas Ranger? NO!!

That a bad screen death! I am glad he died peacefully in real life.

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/01/20 09:45 PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/sir-sean-connery/index.html
Posted By: Patrocles

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/02/20 12:38 AM

"No Mr. Bond, I did not expect you to die!" frown

RIP Sir Connery. We will meet and watch your movies together on the other side.

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/02/20 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
He died in a movie? I hope he asked for a couple of millions for dying! He is James Bond. James Bond does not die! Some actors do not die on screen. It's in their contract for every movie: no dying scene, no crying scene. I never seen Stallone and Schwarzenegger and Eastwood and Norris die on screen. Ever see Norris die or cry in Walker Texas Ranger? NO!!

That a bad screen death! I am glad he died peacefully in real life.

Do you realize that some of your posts read as if a junior high school kid wrote them?

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/02/20 10:45 AM

Mike Myers tribute to Sir Sean Connery at the 2009 AFI Lifetime Achievement Award ceremony for Sir Sean Connery.

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/02/20 11:09 PM

Will watch these Sir Connery films I never seen, on Amazon Prime: The Offence, Time Bandits, Marnie, Woman Of Straw, Untouchables, The Man Who Would Be King, Wind and the Lion. Also want The Great Train Robbery but it's not available on Amazon Prime right now.
Posted By: DM

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/02/20 11:13 PM

The Man Who Would Be King is a terrific film. Connery & Cain, in a Kipling story. Can't lose smile

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/03/20 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chef

Originally Posted by Docjonel
A nearly forgotten gem and one of my all time favorite movies. The only film he made with Michael Caine (who is now 87 years old), directed by John Huston.

Originally Posted by DM
The Man Who Would Be King is a terrific film. Connery & Cain, in a Kipling story. Can't lose smile

On your recommendations, we are starting it now before the other Connery movies I listed. Thank you kind sirs.

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/03/20 05:04 AM

HAHA! These 2 guys are con artists!

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/03/20 11:49 AM

What? No mention of "First Knight" yet??? wink

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/03/20 11:59 AM

Richard Gere, no like!

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/03/20 12:05 PM

Richard Gere, no like!

What amazed me about that film is just how forgettable and dull it turned out to be with that stellar cast. It just goes to show that if you drop the ball with the script and the execution, a talented cast can only do so much.

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/03/20 05:59 PM

The Man who would be King was fun. Michael Caine is another cool actor from the old days like Connery. He is still alive?

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/03/20 06:09 PM

. He is still alive?

I guess you've not seen any recent Chris Nolan film?

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/03/20 06:31 PM

Batman? That was ages ago!

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/03/20 06:35 PM

Batman? That was ages ago!

Interstellar, Dunkirk, Tenet. All of those films came out after his last Dark Knight film.

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/03/20 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
What amazed me about that film is just how forgettable and dull it turned out to be with that stellar cast. It just goes to show that if you drop the ball with the script and the execution, a talented cast can only do so much.

Don't forget the director. The director has more control over what you see in the theater than any other part of the production. Even with all the above hitting on all cylinders, a director whose vision of a story isn't right will turn it into a turkey.

And I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the script. It's nice to have a good one, but I think that blaming the script is an easy excuse for lazy actors and/or directors. As an experiment, someone took the script for "Casablanca", changed some names and locations (even restored the original title "Everyone comes to Rick's"), and shopped it around Hollywood in, I think it was, the 70's, and couldn't get a nibble. Or take "Independence Day". If you listen to the dialog and disregard the 90's era CG special effects it's a 50's B movie that even Elvira wouldn't touch. But with that cast and that director.....

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/03/20 08:52 PM

I don't recall him in Tenet and Dunkirk. Interstellar is one of them u watch it and u forget while you are still in the cinema.

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/03/20 11:33 PM

Another one that get's skipped over is the 1957 Hell Drivers with Stanley Baker, Herbert Lom, and Patrick McGoohan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1WK2PyfAnU

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/04/20 10:27 AM

I don't recall him in Tenet and Dunkirk. Interstellar is one of them u watch it and u forget while you are still in the cinema.

You must really love trolling.

Interstellar was great. So was Master and Commander. Any more popular movies that you fall asleep while watching?

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/04/20 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Alicatt
, and Patrick McGoohan

I had no clue who he was until I saw him in "Braveheart" and my god, he just oozed so much gravitas on screen. He was a pure joy to watch. It wasn't until much later that I found out about "The Prisoner".
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/04/20 04:13 PM

Interstellar is one of them u watch it and u forget while you are still in the cinema.

????????????????????????

Glaring inconsistencies and violations of lore continuity aside, and excluding a few problems with how physics are represented due to artistic license, what???????????????????

I'm calling it: NFB is 17 - 20 years old.

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/04/20 05:57 PM

Marnie is weird. I would dump her!

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/04/20 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Alicatt
, and Patrick McGoohan

I had no clue who he was until I saw him in "Braveheart" and my god, he just oozed so much gravitas on screen. He was a pure joy to watch. It wasn't until much later that I found out about "The Prisoner".

We had him as Danger Man, but even before that he was a well known actor in the UK with many films and TV series to his name, he was a regular protagonist in the Columbo and Murder she wrote series.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/05/20 01:11 AM

https://youtu.be/KQYp8xJ4kpo

I think the last part of Myers comments got to Connery a bit, you can see it in his eyes.

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/09/20 07:15 PM

Posted By: Arch0001

Re: Sean Connery RIP - 11/09/20 09:46 PM

RIP Sean Connery.

:-(
© 2024 SimHQ Forums