homepage

Unidentified orbiting? objects

Posted By: jroc

Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 03:50 PM

I'm not a believer in aliens.

This morning I saw at my outdoor mens church group, together with 7 other men, something none of us were sure about:

Looking at the sky just before dawn, the stars were clear still, sky mostly dark. Then someone noticed four objects'. No, five, no six... and on and on I counted.
53 total that I counted. I thought of satellites because they appeared about 1/4 across the sky (where the sunlight would hit them). They travelled quickly across the sky, faster than a typical military jet. And they were in a straight line, 'flying' or orbiting in an east-north-east direction. They were almost perfectly spread apart, with a few deviations of space (a couple were closer together and then next one in line further apart.

Anyway, we had fun then coming up with intensionally ludicrious ideas of what they were. But I'm still guessing satellites. But 53 of them in a near perfect row sure seemed weird.
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 03:59 PM

Did you take photos?
Posted By: Herman

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 04:02 PM

Satellites are not usually visible to the naked eye.
Posted By: mikew

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 04:04 PM

6:31am?

Probably Starlink. Should have been 60 in a chain.
https://findstarlink.com/#1589;3
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 04:09 PM

Starlink constellation satellites, probably.

Space trash, in other words. Elon Musk has done lots of awesome things with Space X, but I am firmly against the Starlink program. There's enough debris in orbit as is, and we don't need an additional 30,000 to 42,000 260 kg chunks whirling around our skies. It has become increasingly difficult to achieve viable launch windows prior to Starlink. Add these satellites to the mix and it will grow worse. The only positive glimmer of hope is each satellite is theorized to slow due to atmospheric drag and de-orbit every 5 or so years.

Not to mention the impact they could have on astronomy observations of our cosmos... There has been much protest over this alone.

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Herman

Untrue. I see them all the time when I'm "watering the grass and bushes," late at night.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 04:27 PM

Yet another "do aliens exist" flame war on SimHQ in 5....4....3...2....

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 04:35 PM

Some of my favorite aliens of all time:

Posted By: DM

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 04:44 PM

A similar thing happened to me about a month ago, I was at a friend's birthday party, and in the wee hours some of us were standing outside looking at the stars. You can see satellites quite frequently, I've seen hundreds & hundreds over my lifetime.

While we were there looking, we noticed a string of satellites. Not just a few, but at least one or two dozen satellites strung regularly across the sky. We were astonished smile

Turns out it was Musk's experimental satellite lineup or something. But it was unusual for two reasons:
1. It happened.
2. We saw it.

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 04:47 PM

Where's Fox Mulder when you need him?
Posted By: Wigean

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 05:07 PM

Do you need Fox Mulder because people have seen Starlink Satellites?

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Wigean
Do you need Fox Mulder because people have seen Starlink Satellites?

How tall are you? I ask because I think my joke completely flew over your head. wink
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 05:30 PM

Undoubtedly Starlink.
Posted By: JimK

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 06:51 PM

Posted By: Nixer

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 06:54 PM

Why do I picture some Air Force PR drone saying the same thing? From now on...

They will love this excuse.

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nixer
Why do I picture some Air Force PR drone saying the same thing? From now on...

They will love this excuse.

You've been watching too much Stargate SG-1 Nixer. wink
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 07:00 PM

Nah, just have seen and heard too many guys who worked at ICBM sites for decades for it all to be BS.

bs_sign nope
Posted By: Roudou

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 07:23 PM

As mentionned above, 99.99% it was Starlink satellites.
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/28/20 10:28 PM

I once had a satellite cross the field of view in my telescope while I was looking at Jupiter and some of it's moons - I thought that was pretty long odds, but I guess now the odds are a lot greater...

It'd be cool to see that happen with a series of Starlink satellites - although I'm in firm agreement with Blastman that we're putting WAY too much stuff up there, both for the reasons he stated and because it just makes the whole "Gravity 3D" scenario that much more likely to happen someday. And if THAT happens it'll be a massive technological setback for the entire world in more ways than any of us know, for more centuries than any of us know...
Posted By: Sokol1

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/29/20 12:05 AM

They are, daily - if sky conditions are good, between 18:00 - 19:00 and 5:00 - 6:00

Look there for see when:

https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/

This site show even in what direction is need look, using the Google Street View of your street.
Posted By: JimK

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/29/20 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sokol1

They are, daily - if sky conditions are good, between 18:00 - 19:00 and 5:00 - 6:00

Look there for see when:

This site show even in what direction is need look, using the Google Street View of your street.

Thanks for that link, just tested it out and even with a full moon was able to catch few drift by fast.
Posted By: jroc

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/29/20 02:22 AM

Just another reason I love this forum.

Skylink satellites. Fits perfectly, matched the video pretty closely, but with the news shielding since they weren’t as bright.

Thanks.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 10/29/20 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sokol1

Look there for see when:

The original generation Iridium satellites could even briefly be seen in broad daylight occasionally, but I think they've all been deorbited now.
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 11/02/20 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Zamzow
I once had a satellite cross the field of view in my telescope while I was looking at Jupiter and some of it's moons - I thought that was pretty long odds, but I guess now the odds are a lot greater...

It'd be cool to see that happen with a series of Starlink satellites - although I'm in firm agreement with Blastman that we're putting WAY too much stuff up there, both for the reasons he stated and because it just makes the whole "Gravity 3D" scenario that much more likely to happen someday. And if THAT happens it'll be a massive technological setback for the entire world in more ways than any of us know, for more centuries than any of us know...

Some possible good news: https://www.space.com/amp/spacex-starship-space-junk-cleanup
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: Unidentified orbiting? objects - 11/02/20 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by CyBerkut
Originally Posted by Zamzow

Some possible good news: https://www.space.com/amp/spacex-starship-space-junk-cleanup

It really is a problem that all countries who've put stuff up there need to be addressing far more aggressively - because again, if the "Gravity 3D" scenario ever happens it's going to be far, far more painful and expensive than actually dealing with it before that happens...
© 2024 SimHQ Forums