homepage

750 million genetically modified mosquitos to be released in Florida

Posted By: NoFlyBoy

750 million genetically modified mosquitos to be released in Florida - 08/21/20 01:10 PM

Yes, nothing will go on. The company that makes the genetically engineered mosquitos points to a slate of government backed studies and we all know the government never f up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53856776

When i read 750 million genetically modified insects to be released, I immediately had a visual of

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: 750 million genetically modified mosquitos to be released in Florida - 08/21/20 01:13 PM

There is a major story-thread to the alien invasion mythology of the X-Files which shares a lot of aspects with this real world experiment. The one difference is that it was genetically modified bees instead of mosquitoes.

Re: 750 million genetically modified mosquitos to be released in Florida - 08/21/20 01:16 PM

I remember those annoying bees. Just when Mulder was ready to kiss Scully!!
Posted By: Vaderini

Re: 750 million genetically modified mosquitos to be released in Florida - 08/21/20 01:50 PM

Since the Africanized bee debacle (and Jurassic Park), i'm just wholly opposed to letting genetically altered animals loose on the environment. Sure, it might be convenient for mankind in theory, but you can't control all real-world variables in these kind of things. What if dengue and zika mutate to something worse? What if it just starts uncontrollably terrorizing and evicting the indigenous insect population like the africanized bee has?

Re: 750 million genetically modified mosquitos to be released in Florida - 08/21/20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vaderini
Since the Africanized bee debacle (and Jurassic Park), i'm just wholly opposed to letting genetically altered animals loose on the environment. Sure, it might be convenient for mankind in theory, but you can't control all real-world variables in these kind of things. What if dengue and zika mutate to something worse? What if it just starts uncontrollably terrorizing and evicting the indigenous insect population like the africanized bee has?

As Laura Dern famously said to Richard Attenborough: Control is an illusion!!!

Re: 750 million genetically modified mosquitos to be released in Florida - 08/21/20 02:00 PM

Hurry! Someone make a giant mosquitos eating humans horror movie!

Re: 750 million genetically modified mosquitos to be released in Florida - 08/21/20 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy

I'm sure that has already been done! If you do a search at IMDB I'm sure you'll find at least a few films that already cover that premise.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: 750 million genetically modified mosquitos to be released in Florida - 08/21/20 02:10 PM

what could possibly go wrong ???
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: 750 million genetically modified mosquitos to be released in Florida - 08/21/20 03:12 PM

I am firmly against doing this.

Unintended results. Unforeseen problems. Human error. Unexpected mutations.

Yeah, what could possibly go wrong.
Posted By: Herman

Re: 750 million genetically modified mosquitos to be released in Florida - 08/21/20 04:41 PM

Like this one?

Skeeter (1994)

"As the result of a corrupt businessman’s illegal toxic waste dumping, a small desert town is beset by a deadly swarm of huge bloodthirsty mutant mosquitoes! "

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108154

Re: 750 million genetically modified mosquitos to be released in Florida - 08/21/20 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Herman

Skeeter (1994)

"As the result of a corrupt businessman’s illegal toxic waste dumping, a small desert town is beset by a deadly swarm of huge bloodthirsty mutant mosquitoes! "

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108154

Wow. The guy who brilliantly played JF Sebastian in "Blade Runner" was in this crap. Talk about a radical drop in quality there.
Posted By: Patrocles

Re: 750 million genetically modified mosquitos to be released in Florida - 08/21/20 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

I'm sure that has already been done! If you do a search at IMDB I'm sure you'll find at least a few films that already cover that premise.

I need to look up "Mimic" with Mira Sorvino. I thought it was something to do with releasing genetically-modified insects to stop a disease spread by an insect.

edit...yup, here is wiki page for "Mimic"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimic_(film)

Re: 750 million genetically modified mosquitos to be released in Florida - 08/21/20 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Patrocles
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

I need to look up "Mimic" with Mira Sorvino. I thought it was something to do with releasing genetically-modified insects to stop a disease spread by an insect.

edit...yup, here is wiki page for "Mimic"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimic_(film)

I saw Mimic in the theater and I liked it quite a bit. I believe it was the first Hollywood studio film Guillermo del Toro directed.

Re: 750 million genetically modified mosquitos to be released in Florida - 08/21/20 08:19 PM

Cool! Giant human eating mosquitos movies. Thank you.
Posted By: shan2

Re: 750 million genetically modified mosquitos to be released in Florida - 08/21/20 08:42 PM

I, for one, welcome our blood-sucking overlords. >.>
© 2024 SimHQ Forums