homepage

Need help ID two Alien invasion features.

Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 10:48 AM

Both of these were released I would say sometimes after 2011?

First one is a movie. I only remember the beginning and the end. The beginning a group of soldiers enter abandoned building and then they are killed one by one by invisible aliens. At the end a group of soldiers land on top of something, a building or a spaceship and they get into a big gun fight with the aliens while attempting to enter it: a big chamber and they have to destroy or activate a machine or something to save the world. There is a woman scientist or soldier and she was the only one who knew how to do it.

Second one is either a TV series that didn't do well and was canceled after a handful of episodes or it was one of those TV miniseries or maybe even a web only series, both of them left the ending open for a 2nd season/2nd miniseries, but due to poor rating it was not to be.

I only remember the aliens come to earth and adopt humans and put them into cocooned hives like you see in the Matrix movies, 100s to 1000s of them, where the humans are all connected by tubes into their bodies. but the aliens were using them for food.

One of the episodes had a gunfight between humans and aliens in a trash landfill or a auto junkyard.

I don't remember who are the actors/actresses in both programs but I do remember they were well known names at the time these 2 shows came out.

Thank you.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 11:22 AM

I watch a lot of sci-fi but you have me stumped on both. Most of the descriptions you provided could be found in MANY different sci-fi shows and movies.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 11:30 AM

The first sounds like "Battle Los Angeles" and those were Marines not "soldiers". wink

https://youtu.be/-Pd-uuDi28U

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 11:39 AM

It's not Battle Los Angeles. Also I think the first one was filmed in Eastern Europe country but it was Hollywood production.

On the subject of Battle Los Angeles, why was there no sequel? Also why is there no sequel to District 9?

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy

On the subject of Battle Los Angeles, why was there no sequel? Also why is there no sequel to District 9?

The first one didn't do very well at the box office and the second film had no sequel for creative reasons. It's the same reason why Spielberg never made a sequel to "ET".

Instead of making a sequel to DIstrict 9, Neill Blomkamp made "Elysium".

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 11:48 AM

Elysium was boring!

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 11:52 AM

Elysium was boring!

I didn't find it boring. My problem is that the movie was blatantly preachy with its message.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 11:53 AM

I think I know what the first one is,I just can't remember the name right now. I'll check later,I have to go out now.

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 12:01 PM

I found the first one after much searching on IMDB:

Spectral (2016) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2106651/

It's still on Netflix! I can watch it again! https://www.netflix.com/title/80098200

I am still searching for the 2nd one on IMDB under TV series or Mini-Series, Sci-Fi, English, between 2010-2016, no luck so far. Too many results.

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?...color&languages=en&sort=year,asc

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 12:04 PM

Ah so "Spectral" is a Netflix original movie. Let me guess, the movie started off interesting and then the ending sucked? That seems to be typical for Netflix original sci-fi movies.

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 12:07 PM

I liked it and been wanting to watch it again for couple of years but could not remember the name of it. I asked my friends and none could remember it or knew what I was talking about. I assume they never seen it or have and forgotten it.
Posted By: David Kennard

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 01:16 PM

I did not watch the 2009 version but I think the original TV series "V" had cocooned humans so maybe the remake did also??

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 01:44 PM

Good guess. I did look at it and it's not it. It's too clean. The TV series or mini-series I am remembering had a desolate world setting.
Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 02:46 PM

Are you thinking about Colony?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxglHSaRuKo

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 02:54 PM

Yup,Spectral. I watched it last year but never finished it.

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chucky

That good huh? biggrin
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 02:59 PM

Elysium was boring!

Elysium was better than District 9. Awesome movie.

Scifi and Horror are my two favorite genres and unfortunately, NFB, I'm not sure what movie you are talking about in the original post.

Might be because I tend to prefer movies with less action, not more.

The cocooned human trope is vastly overdone, so it could be anything. "Fire in the Sky" was the last movie that was even remotely moving with cocooned humans, and that's going way back. "The Matrix" doesn't count because the robots aren't aliens. smile

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 03:57 PM

It's not Colony. What I am thinking of didn't last a whole season.

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

The cocooned human trope is vastly overdone, so it could be anything.

Speaking of overdone scifi tropes the top two right now have to be,

1. Time travel
2. Artificial Intelligence

In fact, I'd say A.I. is to scifi movies and shows now as to what nuclear/atomic energy was to scifi movies in the 1950's.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 04:46 PM

Spectral is really good IMO. I was thinking you were remembering that one set in Russia with the invisible aliens The Darkest Hour. It wasn't bad.

Could the show be Falling Skies (Noah Wylie of ER) or Earth Final Conflict (Roddenberry show a lot earlier than you mentioned though)? Prob not, they had multiple seasons.

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 05:00 PM

None of those either. Thanks.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 06:32 PM

Yentil?

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nixer
Yentil?

What? The Streisand movie?

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 07:02 PM

Or maybe Mecha-Streisand?

Attached picture download.jpg
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 07:09 PM

I'll roshambo ya for that!

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 07:38 PM

Ha Ha! I'd forgotten that bit hahaha
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/09/20 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Chucky

That good huh? biggrin

Yup that good, took me three attempts to actually finish it.

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 07/10/20 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Nixer
Yentil?

What? The Streisand movie?

No. He meant to type "Lentil" but the auto-correct on his phone messed up. rolleyes

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 08/10/20 01:20 PM

Second one is either a TV series that didn't do well and was canceled after a handful of episodes or it was one of those TV miniseries or maybe even a web only series, both of them left the ending open for a 2nd season/2nd miniseries, but due to poor rating it was not to be.

I only remember the aliens come to earth and adopt humans and put them into cocooned hives like you see in the Matrix movies, 100s to 1000s of them, where the humans are all connected by tubes into their bodies. but the aliens were using them for food.

One of the episodes had a gunfight between humans and aliens in a trash landfill or a auto junkyard.

I still haven't ID it. Thanks.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Need help ID two Alien invasion features. - 08/10/20 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Ah so "Spectral" is a Netflix original movie. Let me guess, the movie started off interesting and then the ending sucked? That seems to be typical for Netflix original sci-fi movies.

Pretty much.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums