homepage

WiFi Paranoia

Posted By: Nixer

WiFi Paranoia - 05/23/20 12:21 AM

Headed downtown for a Friday afternoon brew and snack in lieu of lunch. I don't usually bring my phone as I HATE people who go out to stare at their phones! But today I was hoping/expecting a semi-important call so I packed my no-tech iPhone 6S. Got bored, slow afternoon so I decided to check out my customized Apple News. Really slow and then just dead ended after a few articles. So I reset my phone and nothing changed.

Checked my Wi-Fi settings and I was using www.ubnt.com. I have Spectrum (Time Warner?) internet at home and have my phone set up to default log on to my local Spectrum SECURE WiFi, which it always does.

The Secure WiFi was available, but this crapola connection somehow horned in.

Is this what net neutrality is all about? Any clown with a WiFi router can access your phone?

BTW, www.ubnt.com doesn't exist, but it is listed in my phones WiFi connections. When you go to that address you get redirected to some tech wifi whoppie do company.

What gives them the right to take over my phones wifi selection?
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: WiFi Paranoia - 05/23/20 12:48 AM

I set my wifi auto to off when I leave home. I go to Walmart and it connects to their wifi if it's set on auto connect.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: WiFi Paranoia - 05/23/20 01:01 AM

Just looked.

I have mine set to "ask to join networks".
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: WiFi Paranoia - 05/23/20 01:44 AM

I have that on off at all times.and auto join hot stop to never.
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: WiFi Paranoia - 05/23/20 09:53 PM

I wouldn't call it paranoia, Nixer. Security is so lax on cell phones that I haven't set mine to WiFi in years. And I still haven't put on a mask when I go out in public.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums