homepage

"Road Manners" 1964

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

"Road Manners" 1964 - 04/14/20 02:09 PM

The commentary for this public information film is absolute gold. I love just how understated everything is when you consider the stuff this guy does is reckless driving and pedestrian endangerment which would get you arrested in most jurisdictions today!

Posted By: Chucky

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/14/20 03:10 PM

I'm convinced that SimHQ members tend to watch a lot of the same or similar things. I watched this a few weeks ago as I find with a lot of vids that get posted by other members.

This was pretty typical of 60's British information films.

I loved the one comment 'I see nothing wrong here this is the official BMW training video'.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/14/20 03:16 PM

The guy was driving a Wolsley 1100. That made him a twit right off the bat wink

Chucky: I was thinking the same thing ....pretty normal for BMW or Audi drivers biggrin

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/14/20 03:31 PM

LMAO on the BMW comments because in Miami Beemer drivers have the same negative reputation.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/14/20 03:37 PM

For me it is Volvos.

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/14/20 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
For me it is Volvos.

I hardly ever see those in South Florida anymore.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/14/20 04:08 PM

In my days of defensive riding...one learnt to watch out for Volvos, but the most inconsiderate drivers in England to be wary of were Sales Reps. in their fleet Vauxhall Cavaliers and later Vectras. One could identify them by the often flash suit jacket on a hanger by the rear seats.
Thanks to the internet an extinct breed now, thankfully.
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/14/20 04:12 PM

I love it! Hilarious.. Wish they still made stuff like this!
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/14/20 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by BD-123
In my days of defensive riding...one learnt to watch out for Volvos, but the most inconsiderate drivers in England to be wary of were Sales Reps. in their fleet Vauxhall Cavaliers and later Vectras. One could identify them by the often flash suit jacket on a hanger by the rear seats.
Thanks to the internet an extinct breed now, thankfully.

MC News and their cartoon Planet Ovlov springs to mind, driving a Volvo felt like you were in a tank, it was a solidly built car in the 60s and 70s compared with what was available back then. Yeah being on a motorbike you always had an eye out for the wayward Volvo. Then of course we had Mondeo Man your local sales rep like the white van man in a suit wink

The company I worked for the sales reps had Mondeo hatchbacks and the service team had Mondeo saloons with a boot, because the service engineers could not open the hatchback if he had ladders on the roof rack. I had a Rover 75 as a company car at that time, really loved driving it, it handled well and was very comfortable over long distances, I had to travel from one office to another, going from London to Aberdeen was not unusual. I liked the Rover 75 so much I bought the MG ZT260 for myself.

When I left the company they had just changed the sales reps over to Vectras, I still had a Rover 75 then, and the Renault Laguna I got with the next company was ok, but the Rover was still nicer to drive.
Posted By: Mark Aisthorpe

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/14/20 04:43 PM

He walked into the US Embassy in London.
Probably a US diplomat living over here ;P
Posted By: mikew

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/14/20 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Aisthorpe
He walked into the US Embassy in London.
Probably a US diplomat living over here ;P
Heh! I thought you were joking....

Attached picture usemb.png

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/14/20 05:34 PM

Wow. Nice catch there Mikew!

I would have never guessed that was the US embassy building you see at the end of the Pathe film.
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/14/20 07:44 PM

That's good defensive driving compare to many people's driving today.
Posted By: Pooch

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/14/20 10:31 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFHT1lw3vSI
Posted By: BD-123

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/15/20 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by No105_Archie
The guy was driving a Wolsley 1100.

In that case the flashy chap is probably a cad and a bounder sir!

First car we had as a married couple in 1981 was a rather battered 1968 Wolsely Hornet. Brother in Law that flogged it to us omitted to tell us he had had a Racespeed engine conversion (or Arbarth, can't remember.) Nearly flew into the back seat, I did, on first press of throttle.
Should of kept it.....rare now, going for £7k in good condition, which ours wasn't after it popped a master brake cylinder and went into a wall.
Posted By: kilosierra

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/16/20 12:38 PM

I lately watched a video on y/t. It was from a driving school in the city of Kiel ca. 1938. It showed all types of mistakes in driving. There was one guy speeding in his car. The cops caught him and as a fine, they let the air out one of his tyres so he hat to pump it with a hand-pump. clapping

btw. the video was quite interesting from a historic view too, as Kiel (25 km from here) was heavily bombed in WWII. The town looked much older than today, with all these historic buildings now missing.

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/16/20 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by kilosierra
I lately watched a video on y/t. It was from a driving school in the city of Kiel ca. 1938. It showed all types of mistakes in driving. There was one guy speeding in his car. The cops caught him and as a fine, they let the air out one of his tyres so he hat to pump it with a hand-pump. clapping

btw. the video was quite interesting from a historic view too, as Kiel (25 km from here) was heavily bombed in WWII. The town looked much older than today, with all these historic buildings now missing.

Can you send me a link? I would be very curious to watch it.

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/16/20 01:52 PM

Here you are:

Put "Kiel 1938" into the search, there are several Videos, even one about the harbour and the Navy IIRC. it`s even more interesting if you know the City, sometimes one can guess where it is filmed from how the streets run and sometimes I can identify a building.

Greets

Karsten

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/16/20 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by kilosierra
Here you are:

Put "Kiel 1938" into the search, there are several Videos, even one about the harbour and the Navy IIRC. it`s even more interesting if you know the City, sometimes one can guess where it is filmed from how the streets run and sometimes I can identify a building.

Greets

Karsten

Thank you. All I can say is that if driving schools were that intensive and thorough in the US today, I'd say more than half of the participants would fail!

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/16/20 02:23 PM

Today it is even harder, I think. You need a minimum of 12 driving lessons of 45 minutes and 12 hours Theory. Back in 1984 when I got my licence, it was much less.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/16/20 03:37 PM

Is parallel parking still a requirement to get a drivers licence?
Posted By: wormfood

Re: "Road Manners" 1964 - 04/16/20 03:43 PM

Why would it be when cars can just do it for you?
© 2024 SimHQ Forums