homepage

The old malaria drug is getting used against the coronavirus

Posted By: Tom_Weiss

The old malaria drug is getting used against the coronavirus - 03/20/20 09:33 PM

chloroquine is very common in places where there is Malaria, it is not exactly something that can be used without care :

Common side effects include muscle problems, loss of appetite, diarrhea, and skin rash.[1] Serious side effects include problems with vision, muscle damage, seizures, and low blood cell levels.

and it is cheap

The wholesale cost in the developing world is about US$0.04.[8] In the United States, it costs about US$5.30 per dose.[1]

https://www.wired.com/story/an-old-malaria-drug-may-fight-covid-19-and-silicon-valleys-into-it/

Though nearly a dozen drugs to treat coronavirus are in clinical trials in China, just one—remdesivir, an antiviral that was in trials against Ebola and the coronavirus MERS—is in full-on trials in the US. Nothing has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. So a promising drug would be great—and even better, chloroquine isn’t new. Its use dates back to World War II, and it’s derived from the bark of the chinchona tree, like quinine, a centuries-old antimalarial. That means the drug is now generic and is relatively cheap. Physicians understand it well, and they’re allowed to prescribe it for anything they want, not just malaria.

Posted By: Chef

Re: The old malaria drug is getting used against the coronavirus - 03/20/20 11:46 PM

I have taken Plaquenil, which is a hydroxychloroquine, for four years because of Paladromic Rheumatism. I've had to have my eyes checked every year but the optometrist said she has never seen anyone taking it develop vision problems but it is possible and so they monitor it. I suffer no side effects from it and I am mostly pain free. The medicine is pretty cheap I get it for maybe $5 for a 3 month supply.
Posted By: Tom_Weiss

Re: The old malaria drug is getting used against the coronavirus - 03/21/20 12:57 AM

good news - and yours was a long treatment while they are talking about a week long treatment to get rid of the virus.

it is good to know that several treatments are being found because this flu is here to stay for a while.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums