homepage

What's your rarest Steam achievement?

Posted By: DBond

What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/13/20 04:09 PM

For a few years now for me it was a bunch of EU IV achievements, mostly because achievements in that game require iron man mode and plenty of players don't do that. These were achievements that were done by 0.8% of players.

Yesterday I got a new one though and made me think of starting this thread as I'd find the responses interesting.

My rarest now is Dawi Dominance (0.4%), for Warhammer 2, and requires completing the Mortal Empires campaign as a Dwarf faction.

What's yours? Which game, what % and what is it awarded for?

You can easily determine this by temporarily setting your Steam profile to show achievements showcase, although I think you need a minimum Steam level of 10?
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/13/20 04:27 PM

I have not looked through all of my games yet but I found one achievement I got from Total War: Attila where only 0.3% of the players got it.

Upping the Antes
Complete the Grand Campaign as the Anteans.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/13/20 04:32 PM

Ok I found an even rarer one.

Only 0.1% of players got this achievement in Total War: Rome II

Romanus Maximus
Complete the Empire Divided campaign as the Gothi.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/13/20 04:41 PM

That's as rare as you can get. Nice one PM.

As mentioned, if you set you profile for achievement showcase it will save you from looking through all of your games.

Funny how the first two are from Total War games.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/13/20 04:52 PM

Now this other one I have I find very interesting:

One Arrow, Two Hawks
Playing as any faction, win a multiplayer co-op campaign.

This is from Total War: Three Kingdoms and only 1.1% of players have this achievement. I'm just stunned to see how unpopular it is to play coop campaigns at least in this TW title.
Posted By: David Kennard

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/13/20 05:38 PM

I need to play more of my games I guess

Cannot find the setting for the achievements to show all at once on the web interface here at work
but from a quick check mine might be:

8.4% - Gentleman's Caller - Dishonored

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/13/20 06:00 PM

Great game Dishonored, and we aren't racing here (and if we were, PM already is at least tied for first lol)

I'm just curious to see the answers. Thanks DK for the reply.

It's interesting what you can learn by these percentages as PM alluded to. You know, you play a good game but notice that only 24% of players have completed the first chapter, or whatever, and you wonder how it's possible. But the numbers are likely misleading, and maybe they are actually a % of owners, not necessarily players. Like I bought Frost Punk a couple years ago and never played it or installed it. Am I part of the player pool? So this is just for kicks to see what folks say.

And like for PMs comment, maybe lots of people do play TW co-op, but the number who actually see through to completion is minuscule, ya know?

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/13/20 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by David Kennard

8.4% - Gentleman's Caller - Dishonored

I just looked that one up and I never got it even though I played through Dishonored twice!

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/13/20 06:04 PM

What's it for? Gentleman's Caller I mean.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/13/20 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by DBond

But the numbers are likely misleading, and maybe they are actually a % of owners, not necessarily players. Like I bought Frost Punk a couple years ago and never played it or installed it. I am part of the player pool? So this is just for kicks to see what folks say.

This is a great point you bring up. Are the achievement percentages based on the number of people who have actually installed and played the game or is it based on the total number of people who bought the game on Steam? I have a couple of friends on Steam who have huge backlogs of games they have bought but haven't even gotten around to installing them yet so I'm sure there is a significant number of Steam players in general who have the same situation.
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/13/20 07:46 PM

0.1% LNER A2 “Blue Peter”: Pole Position
Awarded for reaching a speed of 100mph in the LNER A2 “Blue Peter”. in Train Simulator 2020

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/13/20 08:15 PM

What's it for? Gentleman's Caller I mean.

Dishonored

[Linked Image]
Gentleman Caller
You completed all the Granny Rags side missions

- - -

Visit Granny Rags

After Corvo enters Granny Rags' residence and interacts with her for the first time, three members of the Bottle Street Gang arrive to extract "payment" from her. Granny Rags asks Corvo to deal with her "gentleman callers."

When the thugs are dispatched, Granny Rags will ask Corvo to strike back at the gang by contaminating their bootleg elixir still with a plague rat viscera, which can be found at the Offices of Dr. Galvani.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/13/20 08:34 PM

Granny Rags! smile

Nice one Alicatt. That's pretty cool. Thanks for the reply.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/13/20 09:31 PM

Some interesting Dishonored trivia:

Granny Rags was voiced by Susan Sarandon.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/14/20 01:39 AM

And Callista was Cersei and I think Princess Leia did one of the characters too, if I recall.

Another thing about these numbers is that certain games give you so many paths, and have achievements specific to that path. Like EU IV and Total War, where the achievements are for specific factions, which many never even play so rarity is easier to achieve. In a game like Dishonored though we all have the same opportunity for the most part, with certain allowances depending on builds or alternate characters. Subnautica is the only game out of a couple hundred that I've hit 100%, and in that one 8% have completed the game. But who knows, maybe 20% never even played it.
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/14/20 01:50 AM

Mine is for Dirt Rally at 0.8%

Maximum Attack
Win every stage on a 12 stage event with all assists off.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/14/20 01:54 AM

Cool, playing it the way it's meant to be played, and I guess showing that most players don't go full real maybe. Full real, when's the last time I used that phrase? Il-2 probably biggrin
Posted By: Blade_RJ

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/14/20 05:46 AM

after 7 years of dreaming of it, i sucessfully installed all my steam library, ALL of the 315 games, it took 5.7 Tb. now im wondering, why i wasted such time and space....but, i DONE IT

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/14/20 11:30 AM

Cool, playing it the way it's meant to be played, and I guess showing that most players don't go full real maybe. Full real, when's the last time I used that phrase? Il-2 probably biggrin

To this day I've never played any racing sim "full real" but the closest I got was with "Grand Prix Legends" simply because there were very, very few driving aids in that sim. GPL really kicked my a$$.
Posted By: DM

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/14/20 02:00 PM

Haven't checked, but I've got ~700 hours or so in ArmA3 and I don't believe I've achieved a single thing biggrin

Unless there's some sort of low-hanging achievement like just opening the editor.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/14/20 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by DM
Haven't checked, but I've got ~700 hours or so in ArmA3 and I don't believe I've achieved a single thing biggrin

Unless there's some sort of low-hanging achievement like just opening the editor.

Do you play it mostly single-player or multiplayer? I've noticed most of the achievements are for the single player campaigns and missions.
Posted By: DM

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/14/20 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Do you play it mostly single-player or multiplayer? I've noticed most of the achievements are for the single player campaigns and missions.

Single player, but I've never touched any campaigns or included missions. Always my own missions.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/14/20 02:57 PM

The lowest hanging one is probably for checking out a showcase, if I recall.

GPL is one of my favorites. Used to run leagues, mostly at Frugals and before that at a site called Crash Test Dummies. At least three guys I used to race with are members here, Nimrud, McGonigle and Semmern. Man that was fun. Few things I've done have I approached with as much determination as GPL.

Edit: Oh, and Durrie and xjussix too.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/14/20 03:07 PM

Few things I've done have I approached with as much determination as GPL.

Hands down, GPL has been the most challenging sim I've ever played. Some of the plane modules in DCS World are a close second place.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/14/20 03:58 PM

The lowest hanging one is probably for checking out a showcase, if I recall.

GPL is one of my favorites. Used to run leagues, mostly at Frugals and before that at a site called Crash Test Dummies. At least three guys I used to race with are members here, Nimrud, McGonigle and Semmern. Man that was fun. Few things I've done have I approached with as much determination as GPL.

Edit: Oh, and Durrie and xjussix too.

Few things I've done have I approached with as much determination as GPL.

Hands down, GPL has been the most challenging sim I've ever played. Some of the plane modules in DCS World are a close second place.

ADC is still running GPL races if anyone wants to dust off the game: http://forums.speedgeezers.net/index.php?s=03fe3797706cb9ab491266086ee70cea&showforum=27

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/14/20 04:10 PM

Still poking through games on web interface and found a much lower one but it does not make any sense

Project Cars -

[Linked Image]

One More For The Road
Earned all other Trophies/Achievements

1% achieved this including me? which is weird because it is the only 1 of the 45 achievements listed that I have highlighted on achievement board

calling this one a glitch

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/14/20 04:14 PM

ADC is still running GPL races if anyone wants to dust off the game

It's been alotta years, alotta years.

Don't know if you're on GPL Rank, but mine is -40.336, and a monster of -133.810. Nimrud is the fastest GPL driver I have raced with. He is an alien. So fast in fact that he would drive the Cooper or the BRM so we could have a shot at it smile

Eagle was my ride. But I ran one season in the Brabham, and we also ran a season with '65 cars.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/14/20 05:00 PM

Eagle was my ride. But I ran one season in the Brabham, and we also ran a season with '65 cars.

I drove the Lotus and the Ferrari exclusively. The only track I ever really learned how to drive well was Monza.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/14/20 07:17 PM

calling this one a glitch

Are you saying that this achievement is awarded for getting every achievement, yet it's the only achievement you have?

PM, we had guys in those cars, but I didn't use them. I mean I drove them alot in chasing the GPL monster rank thing, which is a rating sort of like a score relative to par as in golf, but for all cars on all original tracks. But I didn't drive the Lotus or Ferrari in the leagues. The Lotus was clearly the fastest chassis, but had a tendency to blow up at the worst times biggrin

And everyone knows the Eagle is the finest Formula One car of all time.

'Par' in GPL Rank is the laptime of each replay for each track that Papy included with the sim. So if you beat it by a second, you're -1 under par if that makes sense.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/14/20 11:52 PM

Not the rarest at 1.8%, but my favourite..

[Linked Image]

From The Forest, survive 100 days without finding your son biggrin

Rarest is Confederate hero in Battle of Chickamauga at .7% for the game Ultimate General- Civil War. Seems to be the only game i have clocked on all difficulties.

[Linked Image]

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/15/20 01:25 PM

Well, maybe he didn't want to be found smile

These numbers are an odd thing at times. I bought Hitman 2 last night and got it installed, but have yet to play. I moused over some of the achievements that show on the home page on Steam. It said that 38% have completed the Prologue. I think that was the number. But how do less than half of the people complete the opening? Maybe it's optional or something. I'll dive in to it over the weekend.
Posted By: Lieste

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/15/20 02:09 PM

Mine are from KC:D - three quite close together Pilgrim 0.4%, Infernal Justice 0.4%, Voyeur 0.3%, plus a bunch of others at 0.5% 0.6% and more ... Mind you fewer than 12.5% even completed it, so not surprising that so many of the later game achievements are rare.

I still have some of the rarer ones which I didn't and probably won't bother pursuing, but the ones I got I met in normal play.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/15/20 02:23 PM

Nothing rare here.

I got one in Miscreated that only 2% of players have and then a load of 2% ones for Killing Floor.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/15/20 03:00 PM

2% is very rare I would say Chucky.

What are those awarded for?

so not surprising that so many of the later game achievements are rare.

True, but I still am surprised by what I see sometimes. Like in Subnautica for example, 8% have completed the game. But like 20% have done the thing right before the end. So 12% of players played all that way just to drop it so close to completion. Odd, that.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/15/20 04:18 PM

Oh ok. I was seeing figures of 0.XX in this thread,2% didn't seem that rare.

Mine are...

Miscreated - Working on your tan. (You have to kill yourself by standing in fire. Not sure why that isn't more common but there you go.

Killing Floor - Amnesia. (Beat Forgotten map on Suicidal Difficulty)

Killing Floor - No Time for Love, Dr. Jones. (Win a short round (get it?) on KF-Hell map playing as or with Harchier Spebbington)

Killing Floor - Squire. (Beat Stronghold map on Hard Difficulty)

Killing Floor - Fractional Neutron Activator. (Beat Steamland map on Suicidal Difficulty)

Killing Floor - Advanced Omega Wave Resonance Explorer. (Beat Steamland map on Hell on Earth Difficulty)

There may be more 2% ones but I can't get them to display.

Just out of interest I have 212 of 285 (74%) of achievements earned in this game (898 hours played).

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/15/20 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chucky
Oh ok. I was seeing figures of 0.XX in this thread,2% didn't seem that rare.

True, but I wanted to know what your most rare was, not who had the rarest. Thanks for the reply

Just out of interest I have 212 of 285 (74%) of achievements earned in this game (898 hours played)

Wow, I don't think I have that many in any game. Most I can think of is EU IV with 100 out of like 295. According to Steam I have 30% of what's available, but that's watered down by the fact that I have a number of games I never really got going in. Games where I got like 1 achievement then stopped playing.

In most games I don't pay too much attention, especially shooters where you get them just for playing. But some, especially like EU IV, are great, because they get me to play nations that I probably would not have otherwise. Or the requirements force me to do things I never would have like

Sinaasappel! (1.4%)
Get Orangists in power with 100% Republican Tradition, and owning a province in China.

I mean, if you are the Netherlands, you're probably not focused on land grabs in China.

Or,

The Burgundian Conquest (0.9%)
As Burgundy, own the Low Countries region as core provinces and have France and Austria as your subjects.

This one is fun, because you'd normally be looking to ally or destroy these nations, not beat them down enough to make them your subjects. So these achievements give me goals, which is vitally important for me, and force me to forge paths I probably would never have considered.

Or this one

Baltic Crusader (1%)
As Teutonic Order or Livonian Order, own all of Russia as core provinces and convert it to Catholic.

I mean, come on! biggrin

Speaking of EU IV, a few years ago I wrote an AAR for one of these achievement hunts. Some light reading should you ever find yourself bored smile

EU IV Consulate of the Sea

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 02/15/20 07:58 PM

Yeah,I got quite engrossed in that game. I like to chase achievements,it makes it worth doing I think. Some of those levels,like the 'Hell on Earth' difficulty are nigh on impossible unless all the players are competent. You can't carry a mediocre player,they become a liability.

I have 353 hours on Elite in Steam and maybe the same again before I moved my account there. The joys of early retirement. Both a blessing and a curse in equal measure.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 03/16/20 03:22 PM

I didn't see a need to create a separate thread for this so I'll pop it in here.

What brought this up was the other thread about games you couldn't get into and I listed Subnautica as a game I initially couldn't get too engrossed in. So I decided to re-install it and see what progress has been made and as it was installing I checked out my achievements. No surprise,I only have one, 'Getting Your Feet Wet' which you get by first diving in the water,something that you have to do to progress in the game.

Imagine my surprise when I see that only 74.3% of players have that achievement. That means that 25% of players have surely never played the game?

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 03/16/20 03:34 PM

Subnautica happens to be my only 'perfect' game, with all achievements attained. Thereare only 17 of them IIRC.

Yeah I see lots of this stuff. My guess is that some folks buy it and never play it, and maybe others get it as a bundle or free game for whatever reason and weren't interested to begin with.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 03/16/20 03:38 PM

Imagine my surprise when I see that only 74.3% of players have that achievement. That means that 25% of players have surely never played the game?

Correct. What is unclear is whether that is 25% of people who have installed the game and never played it or 25% of people who have bought the game but haven't even installed it yet. Either way, it's an interesting insight into the purchase patterns of Steam members. I know several people who are "game hoarders" who buy games frequently when they are on sale but either never get around to playing them or they take a year or two before actually playing them.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 03/18/20 05:02 AM

Having never used it. wink
I did buy Cliffs of Dover on sale from the 777 Studios store a few weeks ago when it was on sale so I will have to install it if I ever decide to play it.

Wheels

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 03/18/20 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by wheelsup_cavu
Having never used it. wink
I did buy Cliffs of Dover on sale from the 777 Studios store a few weeks ago when it was on sale so I will have to install it if I ever decide to play it.

Wheels

I have it on Steam. I installed it a few years ago and played it for about a month before I dumped it. At least the current IL-2 Stalingrad series has more than made up for the disaster that Cliffs of Dover was.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 03/18/20 07:39 PM

I have it on Steam. I installed it a few years ago and played it for about a month before I dumped it. At least the current IL-2 Stalingrad series has more than made up for the disaster that Cliffs of Dover was.

You may want to give the updated Blitz version a try. It should already be in your Steam library as a free upgrade since you already owned the original version. I have read that it addressed quite a few of the short comings of the original release versions.

Wheels
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 03/18/20 08:13 PM

I have CLOD but haven't spent more than a couple of hours in it, that may change if/when the mod community adds VR support.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 03/21/20 10:42 AM

Correct. What is unclear is whether that is 25% of people who have installed the game and never played it or 25% of people who have bought the game but haven't even installed it yet. Either way, it's an interesting insight into the purchase patterns of Steam members. I know several people who are "game hoarders" who buy games frequently when they are on sale but either never get around to playing them or they take a year or two before actually playing them.

I was looking up the achievements and what you need to do to get them in Subnautica and found some stats for the XBox version. The 'Feet Wet' achievement has been completed by 99.89% of players.

That tells me that console players actually play the games they buy.

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 03/23/20 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by wheelsup_cavu

You may want to give the updated Blitz version a try. It should already be in your Steam library as a free upgrade since you already owned the original version. I have read that it addressed quite a few of the short comings of the original release versions.

Wheels

For now the IL-2 Stalingrad series has more than plenty to keep me busy for a while. CLOD may be a case of "too little to late" for me but I won't totally rule out installing the Blitz version and checking it out at some point in the future.
Posted By: Vaderini

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 03/27/20 12:49 PM

I think I'll win this challenge with my GearCity achievement smile

Cradle Of Industry
Your African founded company has maintained the highest yearly market share in the world for 5 years. (0.0%)

I believe I also have a 0.2% achievement somewhere, but can't find it

Other 0.3 or lower achievements

Total War: Attila: Upping the Antes
Complete the Grand Campaign as the Anteans. (0.3%, which I can understand since this faction has nothing going for it except its archers)

Cities Skylines: Naturally
Have a park with all Nature Reserve buildings built in it (0.3%, which is strange considering the amount of people that bought the DLC and how organically you get it)

Motorsport Manager:Track Literate
Finish a race on every track variation of every track (0.3%, this one took a day to get)

GearCity: Quick Growth
Hit $100 million market cap by 1920 on Hard or Nightmare mode, Full AI, and Base City Map. (0.3%, you really need to know this game inside out to get this, but this was quite a fun challenge to do)

Re: What's your rarest Steam achievement? - 03/27/20 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Vaderini

Total War: Attila: Upping the Antes
Complete the Grand Campaign as the Anteans. (0.3%, which I can understand since this faction has nothing going for it except its archers)

Heh, I also have this achievement. We are elite TW Attila players! wink
© 2024 SimHQ Forums