homepage

GPS temporarily disrupted in Southeast US

Posted By: oldgrognard

GPS temporarily disrupted in Southeast US - 01/18/20 06:13 PM

for a short period. May or may not affect you.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...ed-in-southeast-during-military-exercise
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: GPS temporarily disrupted in Southeast US - 01/18/20 06:46 PM

Someone flying from Miami to New York is going to end up in Honduras.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: GPS temporarily disrupted in Southeast US - 01/18/20 07:18 PM

Young drivers everywhere are suddenly completely lost, since they don't learn how to get around with gps these days.
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: GPS temporarily disrupted in Southeast US - 01/18/20 08:04 PM

I had a UBER driver not being able to find me at a restaurant.

It was a popular restaurant too.

Anyone who is driving a taxi or a ride share for a living should know the place.

All a customer has to say is take me to that restaurant and the driver should be able to immediately know where it is and how to get there from where he is at the time without GPS navigation or an address.

He text me saying he couldn't find me and I kept telling him to follow the GPS navigation direction of the UBER APP on his phone to the Blue Dot on his screen.

He kept asking me which direction is that? North or south or west from where he was.

On my UBER app screen, it was showing him to be only 3/4 miles west of me and he kept driving in any direction but east.

His UBER profile was showing he has been driving for 3 years, has completed over 1,500 trips and has a 4.8/5.0 rating.

How did he complete any trips if he can't even follow GPS navigation and find the customer?

In my days we used a fold out paper map that was outdated.

Those multiple pages key maps that are over an inch thick didn't come until later.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: GPS temporarily disrupted in Southeast US - 01/18/20 08:33 PM

I haven’t had a problem with the GPS in my airplane, but thought I would put it out there just so people might know why if they had an issue.

According to everything I’ve read, it shouldn’t affect anything below 50 feet.
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: GPS temporarily disrupted in Southeast US - 01/19/20 03:38 AM

I think it's a great idea, assuming its purpose is to make sure our military can get by without electronic navigation. I'm reminded of the scene in the first Avengers movie where Fury tells the bridge officer to point the helicarrier south after an attack. The officer says it'll be a while before the nav systems are back online.
Fury:
"Is the Sun coming up?"

Bridge officer:
"Yessir."

Fury:
"Then put it on the LEFT!!!"
Posted By: JimK

Re: GPS temporarily disrupted in Southeast US - 01/19/20 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by vonBaur
I think it's a great idea, assuming its purpose is to make sure our military can get by without electronic navigation. I'm reminded of the scene in the first Avengers movie where Fury tells the bridge officer to point the helicarrier south after an attack. The officer says it'll be a while before the nav systems are back online.
Fury:
"Is the Sun coming up?"

Bridge officer:
"Yessir."

Fury:
"Then put it on the LEFT!!!"

thumbsup
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: GPS temporarily disrupted in Southeast US - 01/19/20 04:42 PM

vor? NDB? En Dee BEE? What the HELL is that?! Compass? Who do you think I am, Christopher Columbus?!
Posted By: semmern

Re: GPS temporarily disrupted in Southeast US - 01/20/20 12:12 PM

GPS jamming happens from time to time in the very north-eastern part of Norway. It seems to coincide with Russian Navy exercises out of Murmansk.. It affects a couple of the airports we fly to.
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: GPS temporarily disrupted in Southeast US - 01/20/20 02:02 PM

Noticed it around a few RAF bases in the UK too, at the weekend we took the kids to a forest playground and the GPS in the car stopped working, there was 2 large radar installations on top of the hill beside the woods where the playground is, they are for Zaventem Airport.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums