homepage

U. S. S. BIRMINGHAM (CL62) TORPEDO AND BOMB DAMAGE SOLOMON ISLANDS 8 NOVEMBER, 1943

Posted By: KraziKanuK

U. S. S. BIRMINGHAM (CL62) TORPEDO AND BOMB DAMAGE SOLOMON ISLANDS 8 NOVEMBER, 1943 - 01/15/20 11:00 PM

WAR DAMAGE REPORT No. 48
Printed By U. S. Hydrographic Office

http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/NHC/WarDamageReports/WarDamageReportCL62/WarDamageReportCL62.html
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: U. S. S. BIRMINGHAM (CL62) TORPEDO AND BOMB DAMAGE SOLOMON ISLANDS 8 NOVEMBER, 1943 - 01/15/20 11:36 PM

They were built tough back then, that sort of damage would probably sink a modern Arleigh Burke destroyer or at least put it out of action for a year. Birmingham rejoined the fleet after a 3 month refit.
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: U. S. S. BIRMINGHAM (CL62) TORPEDO AND BOMB DAMAGE SOLOMON ISLANDS 8 NOVEMBER, 1943 - 01/15/20 11:57 PM

Warships could still succumb to damage very quickly back then however.

Exibit A: the battleship HMS Barnham November 25, 1941.

[Linked Image]

Re: U. S. S. BIRMINGHAM (CL62) TORPEDO AND BOMB DAMAGE SOLOMON ISLANDS 8 NOVEMBER, 1943 - 01/16/20 02:03 AM

True, but Barnham took 3 torpedoes amidships.

Re: U. S. S. BIRMINGHAM (CL62) TORPEDO AND BOMB DAMAGE SOLOMON ISLANDS 8 NOVEMBER, 1943 - 01/16/20 02:50 AM

Exibit A: the battleship HMS Barnham Barham November 25, 1941.
Posted By: JimK

Re: U. S. S. BIRMINGHAM (CL62) TORPEDO AND BOMB DAMAGE SOLOMON ISLANDS 8 NOVEMBER, 1943 - 01/16/20 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
Exibit A: the battleship HMS Barnham Barham November 25, 1941.

When that Magazine went, It was over fast when it rolled.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: U. S. S. BIRMINGHAM (CL62) TORPEDO AND BOMB DAMAGE SOLOMON ISLANDS 8 NOVEMBER, 1943 - 01/16/20 09:03 AM

The Barham was old at the time of her sinking, launched in 1914, and had an illustrious record in both wars.
Horrible to view, seeing the hapless seamen running down the hull as she rolls and then immolated in the massive explosion as the fire hits her magazines. A surprising number of men survived that conflagration.

My wife's maternal Grandfather was on her sister ship 'Queen Elizabeth' during the first war and on the 'Effingham' which was lost off Norway in May 1940
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: U. S. S. BIRMINGHAM (CL62) TORPEDO AND BOMB DAMAGE SOLOMON ISLANDS 8 NOVEMBER, 1943 - 01/16/20 11:30 AM

I've seen the Pathe footage of the heavily damaged Barham as she rolled over and then exploded. It's both harrowing and sad to see. What also struck me was the voice and tone of the narrator. It really was the classic "stiff upper lip" stereotype!
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: U. S. S. BIRMINGHAM (CL62) TORPEDO AND BOMB DAMAGE SOLOMON ISLANDS 8 NOVEMBER, 1943 - 01/16/20 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by JimK

It was a steam powered ship, right? I'm no expert, but it looked more like a boiler explosion to me. The initial blast had no fireball, which you'd expect if it was caused by a munitions explosion.

Re: U. S. S. BIRMINGHAM (CL62) TORPEDO AND BOMB DAMAGE SOLOMON ISLANDS 8 NOVEMBER, 1943 - 01/16/20 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by vonBaur

It was a steam powered ship, right? I'm no expert, but it looked more like a boiler explosion to me. The initial blast had no fireball, which you'd expect if it was caused by a munitions explosion.

Main battery magazine, I believe it is speculated that a secondary magazine (4" I think) near where on of the 3 torpedoes but detonated first igniting the main battery magazine.

Re: U. S. S. BIRMINGHAM (CL62) TORPEDO AND BOMB DAMAGE SOLOMON ISLANDS 8 NOVEMBER, 1943 - 01/16/20 06:15 PM

The 4" ammo set off the main 15" ammo.

HMS Barham – Survivors Account Of Sinking
https://www.navyhistory.org.au/hms-barham-survivors-account-of-sinking/
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: U. S. S. BIRMINGHAM (CL62) TORPEDO AND BOMB DAMAGE SOLOMON ISLANDS 8 NOVEMBER, 1943 - 01/17/20 03:42 AM

I get the official story and all, F4. I'm just saying that that didn't look to me like ammunition going off.

Re: U. S. S. BIRMINGHAM (CL62) TORPEDO AND BOMB DAMAGE SOLOMON ISLANDS 8 NOVEMBER, 1943 - 01/17/20 10:19 AM

I get the official story and all, F4. I'm just saying that that didn't look to me like ammunition going off.

OK, everyone's perception is different I suppose. To me it doesn't look like a boiler going.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums