homepage

The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called

Posted By: Haggart

The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/08/19 03:14 PM

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-wall-calls-n1097696?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

[Linked Image]

bananadance
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/08/19 03:22 PM

The term "art" has lost all meaning due to such idiocy.
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/08/19 03:28 PM

I have heard about this yesterday.

A fool and his money...
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/08/19 03:33 PM

I would eat it, too.

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/08/19 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I would eat it, too.

magnumride

twoweeks

Posted By: Pooch

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/08/19 03:45 PM

He took about three minutes to tape a banana to a wall, and made 120,000 dollars. I took the time to do this, and no one is interested. I've had it for sale on an art website with some other paintings for three years and haven't sold a thing. Maybe I'll crazy glue an avacado to a piece of wood and see what happens.

Attached picture dolphins (4).jpg

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/08/19 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Haggart
I would eat it, too.

magnumride

twoweeks

Don't worry, Haggart. I'll return the banana in a few days.

And that will be art, too...

copter

I'll name the exhibit, "Diary of a traveled banana." Or... "Life."

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/08/19 03:52 PM

You might have something there Pooch as look at the price of this avocado art

[Linked Image]
$185.00

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/08/19 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Haggart
I would eat it, too.

magnumride

twoweeks

Don't worry, Haggart. I'll return the banana in a few days.

And that will be art, too...

copter

that could be worth 5x as much ! eek
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/08/19 04:51 PM

That’s almost as pretentious as a New York Times writer. Almost.
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/08/19 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by F4UDash4
The term "art" has lost all meaning due to such idiocy.

X 1,000,000
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/08/19 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pooch
He took about three minutes to tape a banana to a wall, and made 120,000 dollars. I took the time to do this, and no one is interested. I've had it for sale on an art website with some other paintings for three years and haven't sold a thing. Maybe I'll crazy glue an avacado to a piece of wood and see what happens.

That's beautiful Pooch!
Posted By: Ssnake

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/08/19 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pooch
He took about three minutes to tape a banana to a wall, and made 120,000 dollars.

Good for him, I say.
Maybe I'll crazy glue an avacado to a piece of wood and see what happens.

a. It's only art if you use duct tape
b. You'd just be a "me too"
wink

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/08/19 10:45 PM

Now, if you glued the open avocado half, slot-side facing out on the wall with semen cement and titled it: "Mother Gaia repressed" you would make millions.
Posted By: Master

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/08/19 10:46 PM

I have always thought that people like this just making something as an excuse to get paid. Like he could have made anything and the other person would have still given them the money. (for whatever reason but the real reason wasnt the banana taped to the wall.)

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/08/19 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Master
I have always thought that people like this just making something as an excuse to get paid. Like he could have made anything and the other person would have still given them the money. (for whatever reason but the real reason wasnt the banana taped to the wall.)

+1

The types of people who visit "Art Basel" and other similar art gallery events are usually the type who crave status and attention more than anything else. It's all about bragging rights. They want to be able to say to their friends "Oh yeah, I paid a huge amount of money for this unique work of art from the up and coming artistic genius".
Posted By: Ssnake

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/08/19 11:29 PM

"Art" is a market, and as such only partially rational (especially since so much of the value lies in reputation). A standard argument WRT abstract and modern art is that photography (and now 3D printing) has devalued the craftsman/skill aspect of painting/sculpting to near zero. So it's all about the idea, the framing narrative - and, of course, pure speculation that is largely uncoupled from the quality of the artistic vision; the speculation part is all about the reputation. A fabricated scandal like this serves four parties - the original artist because it makes him more famous, the artist who ate the banana (makes him also more (in)famous), the one who paid $120K for a banana peel and duct tape, and professional gossipers (=the press) who can write stories about it. Ultimately it's all about attention economy, and in that context the $120K weren't spent on artistic merit, but to build a brand. It's a PR stunt to boost the notoriety of the artist and as such the market value of all his other work.

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/08/19 11:38 PM

Ssnake stated it much, much better than I did!
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/09/19 12:24 AM

There is a small picture (8"x10"??) that is worth over $1,000,000. It is all black and on display in a Russian museum.
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/09/19 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
There is a small picture (8"x10"??) that is worth over $1,000,000. It is all black and on display in a Russian museum.

It's obviously a forgery. I painted the original in Kindergarten and the teacher tore it up and threw it away (Philistine!!!).
Posted By: Khai

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/09/19 10:39 AM

I have just stood in the middle of a room for 30 seconds and farted.

I call it "he, who have delt it", valued at 500,000 guineas...... I'm gonna be rich.....

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/09/19 12:19 PM

Guineas? Are we still in the 18th century? wink
Posted By: Khai

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/09/19 12:36 PM

I'm old fashioned... A guineas worth more than a pound....
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/09/19 01:42 PM

I prefer clams and seashells.

Re: The Work of an Artist ($120,000) - A Banana Duct-Taped To a Wall, Was Eaten by Another Artist & the Police Was Called - 12/09/19 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
I prefer clams and seashells.

Just take several bags of salt with you and go back in time to the Mediterranean region circa 200 BCE and you'll be wealthy beyond your imagination.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums