homepage

epic games store reputation,my 2c.

Posted By: Tom_Weiss

epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/27/19 08:24 PM

bought a game - Metro Exodus, which I did not like that much, wanted to return it after a few days and all of 3 hours on it.

refused - max time you can spend on a game is 2 hours ! at first they said that I had the game more than 2 weeks, that did not work out so they trotted out a 2 hour limit.

my first and last buy there.

Is it me or epic store is really that bad ?
Posted By: Chucky

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/27/19 08:27 PM

I dumped it a while ago. Not even the free games will tempt me back.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/27/19 08:29 PM

I've never bought anything from them but I just looked at their policy, it is spelled out:

"All games are eligible for refund within 14 days of purchase for any reason. However, you must have not played the game for more than 2 hours."

https://www.epicgames.com/site/en-US/store-refund-policy
Posted By: Flogger23m

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/27/19 09:08 PM

Exact same return policy as Steam. Not perfect but decently fair and very obviously stated. Would you eat a meal, decide you didn't like it and then walk out of the restaurant without paying anything? Doubt it.
Posted By: saghen

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/27/19 09:10 PM

Well, Steam has the same 2 hr limit.

I mean, some single player campaigns are like 10 hrs, so if the limit is higher some people will likely abuse it.

I think the return policy is more intended if the game is a huge bugfest or straight up doesn't work on your machine.
Posted By: DM

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/27/19 10:13 PM

I've found the 14 day/2 hour refund limit to be adequate, but of course you have to be aware of it. I've used it several times in Steam with no troubles.
Posted By: Adger

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/27/19 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by DM
I've found the 14 day/2 hour refund limit to be adequate, but of course you have to be aware of it. I've used it several times in Steam with no troubles.

Absolutely agree,Would 1C\777 studios give you a refund if you bought a digital product on their store page Tom? I dont even think they have a 2hr limit..same has OBD with WOFF/WOTR or in fact most digital downloads.

Red dead Redemption 2 if bought directly from Rockstar doesn't have it, if bought from the Epic store it does. In fact i personally find both EPIC and Steam rather good in this respect.
Some of the free games Epic give away are pretty good too ive picked up... This war of mine, Observer,Batman Arkham Trilogy, Rime and many more also from Nov 29-Dec 06 the excellent Rayman Legends becomes free

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/27/19 11:43 PM

I don't know - I never thought of returning anything from 1C

I returned once a game in Steam that I played over 2 hrs without any problems, I bought it a couple of days before.

Epic is doing itself a big disservice by refusing to refund a game I played 3 hrs - had I played it for 13 hours I would understand, and this is the 1st game I ever bought from them, first and last.

the worst was that I had to watch a youtube video to learn where I had to place a refund request , they don't have a clear link nowhere in their main page.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/27/19 11:49 PM

The only reason I have Epic is because Gearbox dumped Steam and so if I wanted to play Borderlands 3 I had to buy it there.

Having said that, I’ve had no issues with Epic except for one Sunday where I couldn’t log in at all because the entire service was clogged with Fortnite players because of some special event.

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/28/19 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tom_Weiss
I don't know - I never thought of returning anything from 1C

I returned once a game in Steam that I played over 2 hrs without any problems, I bought it a couple of days before.

Epic is doing itself a big disservice by refusing to refund a game I played 3 hrs - had I played it for 13 hours I would understand, and this is the 1st game I ever bought from them, first and last.

the worst was that I had to watch a youtube video to learn where I had to place a refund request , they don't have a clear link nowhere in their main page.

Ive had no issues along with PanzerMeyer above Tom. Why a big disservice? you played 3 hrs not 2 it could have been 4 or 5 but the returns policy is 2. Also did you have Metro Exodus for over the 14 days limit aswell Tom?.. Like i mentioned good luck getting any refunds with a lot of digital download services including 1C. (i know ive had experiencies with some of them). Dont think Uplay or Origin offer a 14 day/2 hr limit? but i could be wrong.

It took me seconds to find the refund page click on Help on the main page, then Epic games store and launcher, Contact us in the big blue box and it gives you the option in a drop down menu.

I personnally dont think Epic is any different to Steam,Origin,Uplay etc. I own multiple games on multiple launchers..Never had a issue with any (touch wood)

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/28/19 12:31 AM

I had for a few days - bought it Nov 19th took me a day to download 60GB then I played it a bit over 3 days, I left it once paused while I went to have lunch biggrin

all in all I had two short fire fights.

Metro Exodus is not that bad - if you haven't played the first one which was exceptionally good it should be very enjoyable, to me it is more of the same with no Metro and long cut scenes.

they did a disservice because after that I would not buy anymore from them, I never had any problem with Steam and I guess I'll continue with them.

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/28/19 12:52 AM

Fair play mate,yep i wonder if Epic/Steam take the download times into equation? Il be honest i looked into Exodus myself (half price) at the minute but im still to finish Metro last light. Haha i bet having it paused pushed you over the 2hr mark duh biggrin

My only problem with Steam is that the forums are sometimes toxic,im sure its full of kids but yep i've found Steam to be hassle free gaming.
Posted By: Blade_RJ

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/28/19 01:46 AM

bought a game - Metro Exodus, which I did not like that much, wanted to return it after a few days and all of 3 hours on it.

refused - max time you can spend on a game is 2 hours ! at first they said that I had the game more than 2 weeks, that did not work out so they trotted out a 2 hour limit.

my first and last buy there.

Is it me or epic store is really that bad ?

what do you expect from a online store without a checkout cart ? How many of their games are cheaper because the publisher gets a bigger cut than on steam ? (not a single new release)
the first 2hours after i registered there i got a bunch of suspecious attempt on my acount there and on my yahoo email, i imediatly changed the email on epic to a fake one my younger self used for, scientific purposes, and changed the password from my yahoo acount, i still got warning of suspecious acount from epic sometime after that, even though i never loged.
so from now on i only get the free games to never play, just to wast their precious server space with my information.
maybe if they became a reasonable online store i may pay money. and i dont care for steam is better etc.....but strongholding devs, fake exclusives etc are not going to make me jump to your bed.
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/28/19 04:12 AM

Generically speaking - people who have to do a "return" usually didn't know what they were buying.

And I'm not happy to hear of such a thing with Epic - long ago I was a huge fan of them...

It's a dog eat dog world nowadays, always has been, but much worse nowadays...

I treat my money like a stingy billionaire nowadays - you have to PROVE you're worth my dollars...

Not to many entities do that anymore...

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/28/19 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Blade_RJ

what do you expect from a online store without a checkout cart ? How many of their games are cheaper because the publisher gets a bigger cut than on steam ? (not a single new release)
the first 2hours after i registered there i got a bunch of suspecious attempt on my acount there and on my yahoo email, i imediatly changed the email on epic to a fake one my younger self used for, scientific purposes, and changed the password from my yahoo acount, i still got warning of suspecious acount from epic sometime after that, even though i never loged.
so from now on i only get the free games to never play, just to wast their precious server space with my information.
maybe if they became a reasonable online store i may pay money. and i dont care for steam is better etc.....but strongholding devs, fake exclusives etc are not going to make me jump to your bed.

that is why I uninstalled not only the game but the Epic store as well

Originally Posted by Zamzow
Generically speaking - people who have to do a "return" usually didn't know what they were buying.

And I'm not happy to hear of such a thing with Epic - long ago I was a huge fan of them...

It's a dog eat dog world nowadays, always has been, but much worse nowadays...

I treat my money like a stingy billionaire nowadays - you have to PROVE you're worth my dollars...

Not to many entities do that anymore...

I re-learned a lesson - Steam may not be perfect but they have a reputation and track record.
Posted By: rwatson

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/28/19 12:38 PM

I've had good luck with Steam,,a couple time I found something didn't run on my rig or found out it wasn't really something I wanted..Long ago you could always find a demo for most things now it's hit and miss But all in all Steam has done well for me

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/28/19 12:59 PM

when I could not find anywhere in the Epic Store page a refund or contact link I already knew they would not want to refund biggrin

I am already browsing Steam again, they have Metro Exodus, If one day want to give it a try again, I'll get it from Steam, no way I am going to install Epic Store again on my HD.
Posted By: Flogger23m

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/29/19 04:21 AM

I had for a few days - bought it Nov 19th took me a day to download 60GB then I played it a bit over 3 days, I left it once paused while I went to have lunch biggrin

all in all I had two short fire fights.

Metro Exodus is not that bad - if you haven't played the first one which was exceptionally good it should be very enjoyable, to me it is more of the same with no Metro and long cut scenes.

they did a disservice because after that I would not buy anymore from them, I never had any problem with Steam and I guess I'll continue with them.

I'm not sure what the disservice is. They have a return policy (the same as Steam) and they stuck by it. You just didn't meet the requirements. The refund policy is mainly there if a game doesn't work, not because you didn't like the game. If you could buy something, use it fully and then refund it after the fact practically every industry would go out of business. I've bought all kinds of things I used and ended up not liking, but don't expect a full refund because of it. I've never used the Epic refund, but Steam worked well for me but if it was a game I actually played I ensured I was below 2 hours. Never had a problem.

What do you think they should've gone? Made an exception for you? Given you 20 hours of play time? Refund but let you keep it? I'm really confused. Looks like you're looking for an excuse to get upset about.

As for Metro Exodus, I thought it was easily one of the best games I've played in a long time. If you're only a short while into it I suggest finishing it. If you liked the first one you should like this one. The story is better overall as is a lot of the combat. There are some indoor areas throughout the game to, but it does open up in some parts. Not open world thankfully but they find a good balance.
Posted By: Ssnake

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/29/19 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
The only reason I have Epic is because Gearbox dumped Steam and so if I wanted to play Borderlands 3 I had to buy it there.

Nope.
Borderlands 3 will be on Steam, just half a year later or so.

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/29/19 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ssnake

Nope.
Borderlands 3 will be on Steam, just half a year later or so.

Based on what I've read, there has been no confirmation on that either from Gearbox or Steam.
Posted By: DBond

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 11/29/19 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Zamzow

And I'm not happy to hear of such a thing with Epic

What did you hear, because I must be missing it. What I see is the OP made a purchasing mistake, asked Epic to fix it, and they said no as per their stated policy. We've all made a similar mistake I'm sure. It's no shame to have done so, especially if he liked the first two Metro games, it might be hard to know he wouldn't like Exodus (although this does intrigue me). But Epic's return policy is public, is fair in my opinion, and they have no obligation to make Tom feel better. Epic may be the worst company in gaming, though my experience with them has been fine. But they wouldn't deserve that rep based on this thread.

I had to get the Epic store for RDR 2 since I didn't want to wait for Steam. No trouble. Matter of fact I also got Borderlands 3, and plan to get Exodus. Borderlands 2 is at the top of my 'most underrated games' list, so buying the new one was a given. Mainstream reviews are decidedly mixed, but Borderlands 2 clicked with me on every level so I was buying it regardless. Glad I did too. It's a lot of fun.

RDR 2, Borderlands 3 and Exodus are all on sale on Epic right now as a matter of fact. They are trying to steal a march on Steam sales obviously, but a sale so soon after release is good for gamers.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 12/01/19 01:04 AM

Stumbled across the Epic games roadmap for development. Not a bad list if they stick to it. Self service refunds coming soon, within guildelines as well as a limited time for price protection, which I really like the sound of. I hate buying a game just to have it go on sale the next day or two.

https://trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap

Mod support coming soon too.

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 12/01/19 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by DBond
. It's no shame to have done so, especially if he liked the first two Metro games, it might be hard to know he wouldn't like Exodus (although this does intrigue me). But Epic's return policy is public, is fair in my opinion, and they have no obligation to make Tom feel better.

almost no action - I was listening to dialogue that went on an on.

example : right at the beginning you need to help steal a train and after a quick firefight I had to listen to a very long and quite uninteresting dialogue.

Epic is the kind of store that denies a request with a "sorry for the inconvenience, distress etc." copy/paste answer that is done without reading why you requested a refund.

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 12/01/19 01:33 PM

I have not played Exodus but I have been told by several friends who have played it that one major change from the previous two games is that you spend the great majority of the time above ground instead of underground in the subway system.

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 12/01/19 02:36 PM

I have not played Exodus but I have been told by several friends who have played it that one major change from the previous two games is that you spend the great majority of the time above ground instead of underground in the subway system.

first thing that happens is that - you get away from the Metro.

Could be kind of interesting if it were another game which is precisely what it should have been, if you never played any Metro then you can enjoy it more. The best game of the series still is the first one: claustrophobic, dark and short dialogues that moved the story to next chapter.

Another bothersome thing: they talk in fake-Russian accented English, I looked for a Russian language option with subtitles but there wasn't one.

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 12/02/19 04:38 AM

Another bothersome thing: they talk in fake-Russian accented English, I looked for a Russian language option with subtitles but there wasn't one.

I’m pretty sure the first two Metro games also only had Russian-accented English so why expect this latest one to be different?

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 12/02/19 12:25 PM

I’m pretty sure the first two Metro games also only had Russian-accented English so why expect this latest one to be different?

very short dialogues - did not bother me at all and then an extended level full of action.

but a 10 minute train ride listening to it was too much.
Posted By: DBond

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 12/02/19 01:19 PM

I like that part of the Metro games. Doesn't sound much different that how Last Light was done, but maybe I'll be annoyed by it too, once I buy the game. In LL you walked through the stations and had all the little conversations to overhear. If you stopped and listened to them all you gained moral points or whatever they were called, to get a better ending. If you listen closely you hear a sound like a distant train whistle and I think the screen flashed, but so quickly you could miss it.

I understand that Exodus has the same mechanic, but this time around the conversations are not factored in, but you can listen in to find info on stashes and the like.

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 12/02/19 03:27 PM

in Exodus the game sort of pauses for the conversation ... maybe they should have gone the way Alien: Isolation did, let the game tell the story not have it told to you.
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 12/02/19 03:28 PM

Exodus does pick up (less talk, more action) once you get to the first open map (Volga/Winter).

There are a few "dark corridor" levels inbetween the more open sections too, so I personally liked that balance.

There definitely should be a Russian voice version, not sure if Epic is selling only localized versions...?

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 12/02/19 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by RSColonel_131st

There definitely should be a Russian voice version, not sure if Epic is selling only localized versions...?

I would think that a Russian language version exists for the Russian market so maybe it's a case of Epic (a US company) not bothering with offering the Russian language version since the assumption is that not too many players would be interested.

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 12/02/19 04:39 PM

could be that that is the reason - but more likely it was the developer that did that. There is an option in game to translate Russian signs and markings in English.
Posted By: Blade_RJ

Re: epic games store reputation,my 2c. - 12/16/19 11:33 PM

From december 19 until january epic store will give a free game per day to comemorate their one year aniversary
© 2024 SimHQ Forums