homepage

Legacy Rock Bands

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Legacy Rock Bands - 11/14/19 04:02 PM

I'm amazed by how many long established rock bands have recently made new albums. On the one hand it's comforting to know that the rock genre hasn't totally died out yet but on the other hand I wonder how many people today are actually buying these albums? At least those under the age of about 50. wink

A few examples:

The Who : Will be releasing a new album in December 2019.
Styx: Last album was in 2017.
Chuck Berry: Released his last album in June 2017 posthumously!
Chicago: Last album was in 2014.
Earth, Wind & Fire: Last album was in 2013
ZZ Top: Last album was in 2012
Aerosmith: Last album was in 2012

Please feel free to add to the list!

Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Legacy Rock Bands - 11/14/19 05:34 PM

Wishbone Ash are busy on their 50th Anniversary tour just now, they last released an album in 2014, and they had an album out for their 40th, so I quite expect a 50th Anniversary album to come out this year.

Their party is on 16th November, sadly I cannot go frown

Tour dates for the 50th Anniversary Tour

They should have a new single and video out "As We Stand Alone"
Posted By: RedOneAlpha

Re: Legacy Rock Bands - 11/14/19 05:47 PM

- Kiss, last tour ends this year, or the next. Well, if there like the Stones, they never really have a "last tour", although they say so, LOL.
- Iron Maiden, The Burning new album for 1Q of 2020.
- Deep Purple, Infinite 2017.
- Rammstein, new album 2019.
- The Cure, 40th anniversary live 2019.

and quite alot more..
2019 list of new albums

But yeah, Iam amazed that some are still at it too!

Red
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Legacy Rock Bands - 11/14/19 07:54 PM

Stray Cats released an album to go with their 40th anniversary tour this summer and the Kinks are back in the studio for the first time in many, many years.

Re: Legacy Rock Bands - 11/14/19 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by cichlidfan
the Kinks are back in the studio for the first time in many, many years.

Didn't know about this! That's absolutely great to hear. On a related note I'm still undecided on whether I like their original "You Really Got Me" or the cover by Van Halen more. smile

Re: Legacy Rock Bands - 11/14/19 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by cichlidfan
the Kinks are back in the studio for the first time in many, many years.

Didn't know about this! That's absolutely great to hear. On a related note I'm still undecided on whether I like their original "You Really Got Me" or the cover by Van Halen more. smile

Personally, I like the version by Robert Palmer from the Double Fun album. Oingo Boingo also recorded it.

Almost forgot. Mott the Hoople did an instrumental version of it as well.

Posted By: NH2112

Re: Legacy Rock Bands - 11/14/19 11:36 PM

ELO just released a new studio album.

Re: Legacy Rock Bands - 11/15/19 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by NH2112
ELO just released a new studio album.

That is pretty much Jeff. The band changed so many times over the years that the band is really Jeff and some other guys. Still great, because of Jeff.
Posted By: Clydewinder

Re: Legacy Rock Bands - 11/15/19 12:10 AM

Kansas had one 2 years ago and another coming nxt year.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Legacy Rock Bands - 11/15/19 12:25 AM

Judas Priest still rolling along, their last album was 2018.

Re: Legacy Rock Bands - 11/15/19 11:32 AM

Thanks for those contributions guys. I'm really pleasantly surprised to hear about ELO, Kansas and Judas Priest!
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Legacy Rock Bands - 11/15/19 12:27 PM

I can't imagine any of the listed groups or artists imagining in their wildest dreams the longevity of their respective careers or reunions after a long hiatus. Jagger said in 1965 "We might last five years if we are lucky."
And of course the Who's prophesy 'hope I die before I get old' only came to reality for two members.

One wonders if such Hendrix and Joplin had survived the '27 year curse' what wonders they may have produced.

I feel blessed though to have been a listener to and buyer of records at the birth of the age of rock, and doubly fortunate to see some of these bands in their early days.

In England the only stations playing rock and other non-mainstream genres before 1967 were the offshore Pirate stations broadcasting from rather rundown ships just outside national waters before being forced to cease closed transmission due to the Marine Offences Act in that year.
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Legacy Rock Bands - 11/15/19 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by BD-123

One wonders if such Hendrix and Joplin had survived the '27 year curse' what wonders they may have produced.

When you hear Hendrix as elevator music you know times are a changing
Posted By: Khai

Re: Legacy Rock Bands - 11/15/19 01:05 PM

In England the only stations playing rock and other non-mainstream genres before 1967 were the offshore Pirate stations broadcasting from rather rundown ships just outside national waters before being forced to cease closed transmission due to the Marine Offences Act in that year.

And now its just DAB if you want avoid the mainstream crap....

Re: Legacy Rock Bands - 11/15/19 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Alicatt

Years ago I remember hearing a Muzak version of "Light my Fire" at a department store. I actually felt nauseous.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Legacy Rock Bands - 11/15/19 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Alicatt

Years ago I remember hearing a Muzak version of "Light my Fire" at a department store. I actually felt nauseous.

I seem to recall that the band licensed "Light my Fire" to an advertising agency for use in a automobile commercial and JM went apesh*t when heard it, accusing them of selling out.

Re: Legacy Rock Bands - 11/15/19 06:04 PM

I seem to recall that the band licensed "Light my Fire" to an advertising agency for use in a automobile commercial and JM went apesh*t when heard it, accusing them of selling out.

Yes, that's absolutely true and it is even depicted in the Oliver Stone film. smile
© 2024 SimHQ Forums