homepage

Can anyone identify these planes found on some film in a 1930's from a car boot sale

Posted By: Ajay

Can anyone identify these planes found on some film in a 1930's from a car boot sale - 11/10/19 03:11 AM

The guy posted them as Spits but i'm leaning towards Tempests. FW 190, Fury and even Stuka has been thrown around but no definitive answer. No other information has been put forward besides the film being processed from a 1930's camera. All i've done is upsize the pics and flip the lower ones, for some reason the opposite direction works better for my eyes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: Can anyone identify these planes found on some film in a 1930's from a car boot sale - 11/10/19 03:55 AM

Glad I am not a WW II AAA gunner!!!
I first thought Fw 190s, but then upon reading your message I would agree, those could very well be Tempest with the massive tail, and a more or less elliptical clipped wing.
But then there is zero sign of the chin radiator... bringing me back to the Fw 190s. Maybe, just maybe the tail is not that massive duh

I’ll give it a short burst, see how it goes...

Cheers,
Slug
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Can anyone identify these planes found on some film in a 1930's from a car boot sale - 11/10/19 04:56 AM

Tempest would be my guess too. The "half-eliptical" shape of the wing rules out a FW190 in my opinion.
Posted By: WOLF257

Re: Can anyone identify these planes found on some film in a 1930's from a car boot sale - 11/10/19 05:08 AM

I'll give it a shot as well.

Tempest II with the radial engine.

Tempest II
Posted By: Sokol1

Re: Can anyone identify these planes found on some film in a 1930's from a car boot sale - 11/10/19 05:11 AM

Looks Hawker Tempest MK.II

https://youtu.be/iNla-K6z68Y?t=50
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Can anyone identify these planes found on some film in a 1930's from a car boot sale - 11/10/19 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by WOLF257
I'll give it a shot as well.

Tempest II with the radial engine.

Tempest II

Good call.

Originally Posted by Sokol1
Looks Hawker Tempest MK.II

https://youtu.be/iNla-K6z68Y?t=50

Nice, cheers.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Can anyone identify these planes found on some film in a 1930's from a car boot sale - 11/10/19 08:56 AM

Film from a camera from the 1930s. Only if the camera was used in the 1940s..

Could be a Fury or Seafury also.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Can anyone identify these planes found on some film in a 1930's from a car boot sale - 11/10/19 09:58 AM

Tempest 2 I reckon also. Can understand why they were often the victim of 'friendly fire' as very similar to 190 when seen in the heat of combat.

Initial identification, every aircraft artefact is a 'Spitfire'. An example of 'spitfire Snobbery' perhaps, as exhibited by Luftwaffe pilots in the Battle of Britain; "Nein Nein was shot down by Spitfire, not Hurricane!"
Nerd that I be, I had to join a BBC forum to point out that the aircraft model featured in a series called the 'Repair Shop', a programme in which much loved and sentimental seemingly irreparable heirlooms and family treasures are restored was in fact a P47.

[Linked Image]

The model in question was made by an RAF Bomber Command airman for his child just before he was killed over Germany.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums