homepage

Time marches on

Posted By: No105_Archie

Time marches on - 10/21/19 03:02 PM

Yesterday was Trafalgar Day. In it's era just as important as D-Day or the Somme etc. But now very largely forgotten. In a short time WW1 will be just as remote as the Napoleonic Wars and Nov.11 will be forgotten as well. No political comment intended just a comment upon how we move on and forget no matter how hard we try not to.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Time marches on - 10/21/19 03:27 PM

Agreed Archie. Heck, just look at 9/11 and how the remembrance for that tragedy is already fading and that only happened 18 years ago.
Posted By: Bernardo

Re: Time marches on - 10/21/19 06:15 PM

It's inevitable,,,,time marches on and other things takes it's place in importance (happy or sad).
Now Pearl Harbor is just a two and half minute story on the news. You can't expect the country to grieve the same as it did back then.
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Time marches on - 10/21/19 07:58 PM

Short historical memory is mainly a North American thing, and most other cultures are far more closely connected to their pasts.
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: Time marches on - 10/23/19 08:50 PM

Anyone else hear the voice of James Hetfield in their head upon seeing this thread title?
Posted By: Sunchaser

Re: Time marches on - 10/24/19 01:23 PM

Short historical memory is mainly a North American thing?

From the Encyclopedia Britannica website:
"The casualties suffered by the participants in World War I dwarfed those of previous wars: some 8,500,000 soldiers died as a result of wounds and/or disease."

So 21 years later they were back at it, eh? Long time historical memory at work?

Putting humanity's disasters, caused by us or nature, behind us is a genetic trait, developed since the dawn of us.
There is no way we could function if we remain constantly aware of our shortcomings.

Another factor is the fact that history is not really taught anymore.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Time marches on - 10/24/19 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sunchaser

Another factor is the fact that history is not really taught anymore.

No time for silly subjects like history when you have to teach students how to pass standardized tests and teach them about how to avoid using “triggering” language so they don’t offend anyone.
Posted By: Fittop

Re: Time marches on - 10/25/19 02:14 AM

It would probably help if the students were being taught basic things and getting some support and education on those things at home so teachers could concentrate on teaching their subjects.

It goes without saying teachers should have some domination on their subjects and how to teach them.

Being a Teacher is one of the most underpaid, unappreciated and overworked professions.
I take my hat off to good teachers. -Even to the-not-so good ones for the dedication they show.
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Time marches on - 10/25/19 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Fittop
It would probably help if the students were being taught basic things and getting some support and education on those things at home so teachers could concentrate on teaching their subjects.

It goes without saying teachers should have some domination on their subjects and how to teach them.

Being a Teacher is one of the most underpaid, unappreciated and overworked professions.
I take my hat off to good teachers. -Even to the-not-so good ones for the dedication they show.

So true. The job sucks and is underappreciated.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Time marches on - 10/25/19 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Zamzow
Anyone else hear the voice of James Hetfield in their head upon seeing this thread title?

Glad it wasn't just me smile
© 2024 SimHQ Forums