homepage

Nike vs B-17

Posted By: KraziKanuK

Nike vs B-17 - 10/18/19 08:30 PM

Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Nike vs B-17 - 10/18/19 09:09 PM

In film they say B-29 but video is B-17. Makes me wonder.
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Nike vs B-17 - 10/18/19 10:31 PM

Man, the world really was a cool looking place back then. Such atmosphere and style.
Posted By: Coot

Re: Nike vs B-17 - 10/19/19 02:56 AM

Two other things that I find just as fascinating in this video are the fact that they are remote controlling a full size bomber in flight and the camera equipment used to track and follow the aircraft target specifically while its being destroyed and falling to earth.
Posted By: DBond

Re: Nike vs B-17 - 10/19/19 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Coot
the fact that they are remote controlling a full size bomber in flight

There was a program in WW2 called Aphrodite that used remote controlled B-17s loaded with explosives with the aim of striking high value targets, like U-boat pens, V-1/V-2 sites, power stations and marshalling yards. The aircraft were flown conventionally off the ground, then the pilot and co-pilot were to jump out and the aircraft flown remotely to the target. It was a failure, I don't think any targets were actually hit. One of the Kennedys was killed on one of these missions. And of course the Germans had their Mistel program as well, though the concept was different..
Posted By: Coot

Re: Nike vs B-17 - 10/20/19 02:49 AM

Yep Dbond, I find all that tech advancement leading up to and then exponentially increasing during WW2 and after fascinating. I do remember hearing that about one of the Kennedy sons.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Nike vs B-17 - 10/20/19 07:25 AM

Joseph Patrick Kennedy Jr. was a United States Navy lieutenant.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums