homepage

“Masters of Air”

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

“Masters of Air” - 10/11/19 10:51 PM

It looks like HBO passed on this after all and it’s going to the Apple streaming service instead. I remember multiple threads discussing this project on Simhq over the past couple of years so I figured this news would be of interest.

https://www.thewrap.com/apple-masters-of-air-steven-spielberg-tom-hanks/
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: “Masters of Air” - 10/11/19 11:04 PM

Apple streaming service...so that's one I won't be seeing...

Thanks for the update PM!
Posted By: Tarnsman

Re: “Masters of Air” - 10/13/19 02:10 AM

I will give Apple a try for the 3rd Hanks Spielburg WW2 collaboration.
It will take quite a lot of effort to pull off a 8th Air force story however.
Posted By: reconmercs

Re: “Masters of Air” - 10/13/19 02:24 AM

More info here:
https://deadline.com/2019/10/apple-...ii-limited-series-don-miller-1202757249/

I'd like to see it come to fruition but they've dragged this thing out so long, I'm not holding my breath... If it happens, I just hope its not a CGI fest... "Dunkirk" raised the bar for shooting aerial sequences and Hulu's "Catch 22" proved you don't need a ton of real aircraft to shoot believable bomber sequences

I believe they only used 3 real B-25's 1 C-47 and a JU-52 for the entire show....
Posted By: Docjonel

Re: “Masters of Air” - 10/13/19 03:36 AM

Not paying for another streaming service, so there's another series I was looking forward to that I won't be watching.
I'm also not paying for Hulu to watch The Orville which I had previously enjoyed. Already paying for cable, Amazon Prime, Netflix.
No more.
Posted By: JimK

Re: “Masters of Air” - 10/13/19 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Docjonel
Not paying for another streaming service, so there's another series I was looking forward to that I won't be watching.
I'm also not paying for Hulu to watch The Orville which I had previously enjoyed. Already paying for cable, Amazon Prime, Netflix.
No more.

Not alone, gave up Amazon Prime last Feb. So I still get it till then. Cable, gave it up. Kept Xfinity Wifi and boosted speeds to 512mbps. Then Netflix.
No more.
Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Re: “Masters of Air” - 10/13/19 06:03 AM

That just shows you're not using streaming services correctly.

They are not meant to be running subscriptions all the time. They's just gravy for the services.

YOu find something you want to watch, you subscribe for a month and whatch the series and then unsubscribe until next year when the next season is released and finished.

Prime has some great shows, but it's nothing you need to be suscribed for all the time. Wait for season 2 of Jack Ryan to be finished, then subscribe and watch that, the Expanse, Carneval Row, Good Omens all in one or two months, then unsubscribe for a year.
Posted By: axman

Re: “Masters of Air” - 10/14/19 02:12 PM

I’ll wait for the Blu-ray.
Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Re: “Masters of Air” - 10/14/19 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by axman

And pay lots more. Up to you.

This is the future of television.

Re: “Masters of Air” - 10/14/19 10:33 PM

I agree with Maddog. You need to look at streaming services as an a la’ carte service. As soon as you finish watching the show you like you just simply cancel it. If that service later on gets another show you are interested in then you just re-subscribe.
Posted By: axman

Re: “Masters of Air” - 10/15/19 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by EAF331 MadDog
Originally Posted by axman

And pay lots more. Up to you.

This is the future of television.

If it's up to the standard of Band of Brothers and The Pacific that's not a problem for me. Better image and sound quality and something I will watch more than a few times.

What I will not do is pay a monthly premium for Apples streaming service. And yes, i realize I can watch and then kill the subscription, but I can afford a $30 Blu-Ray.
Posted By: BlueHeron

Re: “Masters of Air” - 10/16/19 04:41 PM

Same here, shows of this caliber or anything I plan to watch more than once will always be a Blu-ray buy. Watching Netflix and Blu-ray back to back, the difference in picture and sound quality and staggering. Every. Single. Time. smile

I'm really surprised HBO let this one go. Wasn't Band of Brothers a massive success for them?

Re: “Masters of Air” - 10/16/19 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by BlueHeron
Wasn't Band of Brothers a massive success for them?

Yes it was but that was 18 years ago. Not saying that this new series would not have been a big success on HBO but tv audiences have changed quite a bit over the past 18 years. I think it was simply the case of HBO not wanting to take the financial risk.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: “Masters of Air” - 10/16/19 05:29 PM

18 years ago? God's teeth.
Still the best drama or docudrama ever made for TV to my mind.

Re: “Masters of Air” - 10/16/19 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by BD-123
18 years ago? God's teeth.
Still the best drama or docudrama ever made for TV to my mind.

It's truly surreal how quickly time passes by and I believe the adage that time passes by more quickly as you get older is actually valid! smile
Posted By: Vapour

Re: “Masters of Air” - 10/16/19 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

It's truly surreal how quickly time passes by and I believe the adage that time passes by more quickly as you get older is actually valid! smile

True, life is like a toilet roll, the further in you get the faster it goes.

Re Masters of the Air, as long as the reviews are favourable I'll just buy a hard copy of it if a digital purchase isn't possible.
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: “Masters of Air” - 10/16/19 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Vapour

True, life is like a toilet roll, the further in you get the faster it goes.

Now that is quote worthy, right there! yep
© 2024 SimHQ Forums