homepage

Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says

Posted By: KraziKanuK

Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/10/19 10:31 PM

Do you depend on your EBS?
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/new...work-caa-says/ar-AAIwAe1?ocid=spartandhp

This also begs the question on how well the other safety systems work.
Posted By: JimK

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/10/19 10:33 PM

I would never trust an automated car. My Lexus has radar cruise control and it flips me out sometimes when it adjust speed to match the car in front of you. Will never get use to it.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/10/19 10:47 PM

Never had it, but then I don't even use cruise control and not too crazy about automatic transmissions! LOL
We just in the last few years got car STEREOS to keep working more than a few years, I don't know why people would trust these things with their car, lives and other peoples' lives.
Then there are those morons sleeping with the auto lane correction thing on.

Seriously, if all cars had manual transmissions, the road would be a safer place. You'd be too occupied to text and look at your phone, hands would be busy and people too bad at driving to handle it would be off the road.
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/10/19 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
...We just in the last few years got car STEREOS to keep working more than a few years, I don't know why people would trust these things with their car, lives and other peoples' lives....

For a while now I've been interested in seeing how modern electronics-laden cars fare as they age over the next 10 to 20 years.
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/11/19 01:07 AM

We just in the last few years got car STEREOS to keep working more than a few years,

That is the most silly thing I think I have ever seen posted.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/11/19 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by cichlidfan
We just in the last few years got car STEREOS to keep working more than a few years,

That is the most silly thing I think I have ever seen posted.

You must be new. You ain’t seen nothin yet!
Posted By: Brit44 'Aldo'

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/11/19 04:34 AM

Something to add to your thoughts. My car is an 02 Pontiac Grand Am (china 3.4l engine POS). The car is equipped with ABS. The car just turned 60K miles this year, but it is a Michigan car. The ABS turns it's self off because the brake caliper brackets have rusted, causing drag. Yesterday, the metal lines to the passenger, rear burst. I am old, so I knew that the Master is separated and I need to smash the pedal into the floor as hard as I can, because boost is gone and I am down to the last travel of the piston. I knew what I was doing and was able to limp the car back home the 1 mile without draining the master.

Two things to consider. #1, would ABS have drained the master, making all but the mechanical (parking) brake useless? #2, do you think anyone that has driven after ABS was standard could avoid the collision this scenario crates. #3, Does this mean the government should ban all vehicles over a given age, and if so which state sets the standard?... OK, forget #3. It is not my intent to send this to PWEC.
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/11/19 07:55 AM

My 08model year Range Rover Sport has "Adaptive Cruise Control" it has radar control to keep spacing between you and the vehicle in front, you can adjust that over 5 different distances, like Jim says the most annoying thing about it is gradually slowing you down to match the car in front, then you have to give it a bit of gas to get back up to speed and overtake the slower vehicle.
It does have automatic emergency braking and it will slam on the brakes if it thinks your speed difference is too great between you and what ever is in front, the range at which that happens depends on the speed difference, the greater the difference the further away it activates but you have to take over for the last few yards of braking as it will not stop you completely.

There is also an option to use the radar for forward alert and it will beep at you if it detects anything too close in front of you, you can also switch the system off and just have normal cruise control, the one big difference that this cruise control has is that it will brake your speed down to what you have set if the car gets too fast, this is the first car I've had that had this function.

to manually emergency brake you pull on the park brake handle, you can apply it at any speed and it uses the normal brakes to the point of tripping the ABS and once under 10mph it applies the park brake too, I have only used that once and that was on the demo drive with the Landrover driving instructor and I have never used it in my car which is now 12 years old and 103k miles.

The car also uses the ABS/cruise control system for controlling various aspects of the offroad settings, it is most annoying when you accidently press the Hill Descent Control and puts the brakes on when you go too fast - you can set it from a crawl up to 50mph

Like everything else it is a tool, and once you learn its foibles then you can use it to your advantage. The cruise control works up to 180km/h (111mph) and the car is limited to 210km/h (130mph) which it does easily. Another feature is that at 90mph the car lowers it's self for better handling and aerodynamics, and once lowered it holds that attitude until you go below 60mph.
Posted By: Ssnake

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/11/19 08:33 AM

Seriously, if all cars had manual transmissions, the road would be a safer place. You'd be too occupied to text and look at your phone, hands would be busy and people too bad at driving to handle it would be off the road.

Sadly, as someone from a country where 95% of all cars sold are with manual transmission, I can assure you that your assumption, however plausible it may appear, is incorrect.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/11/19 01:37 PM

Ssnake is right. I visit the UK regularly. The vast majority of vehicles have manual transmissions. It does not stop people from texting, eating , reading or putting on makeup ( or combinations of these) while driving smile
Posted By: NH2112

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/11/19 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Brit44 'Aldo'
Something to add to your thoughts. My car is an 02 Pontiac Grand Am (china 3.4l engine POS). The car is equipped with ABS. The car just turned 60K miles this year, but it is a Michigan car. The ABS turns it's self off because the brake caliper brackets have rusted, causing drag. Yesterday, the metal lines to the passenger, rear burst. I am old, so I knew that the Master is separated and I need to smash the pedal into the floor as hard as I can, because boost is gone and I am down to the last travel of the piston. I knew what I was doing and was able to limp the car back home the 1 mile without draining the master.

Two things to consider. #1, would ABS have drained the master, making all but the mechanical (parking) brake useless? #2, do you think anyone that has driven after ABS was standard could avoid the collision this scenario crates. #3, Does this mean the government should ban all vehicles over a given age, and if so which state sets the standard?... OK, forget #3. It is not my intent to send this to PWEC.

A comment. Back in the late 60s the federal gov’t began requiring that all cars & light trucks with hydraulic brakes (all of them) have dual brake circuits so that a fluid loss at one wheel wouldn’t drain the entire system. The fluid reservoir had 2 chambers, with each chamber feeding a circuit. At least as long ago as the mid 90s single-chamber reservoirs were being put on vehicles again, and even though there were still 2 separate brake circuits they were supplied from a common reservoir so a leak would drain all the brake fluid.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/11/19 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ssnake

Sadly, as someone from a country where 95% of all cars sold are with manual transmission, I can assure you that your assumption, however plausible it may appear, is incorrect.

The road would be a safer place if everyone was required to take and pass an IQ test before being granted a driver's license.
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/11/19 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

The road would be a safer place if everyone was required to take and pass an IQ test before being granted a driver's license.

Now that is a true statement.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/11/19 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by cichlidfan

Now that is a true statement.

Not necessarily true. I wouldn't get into a vehicle some high IQ people. A minimum level tho.
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/11/19 03:23 PM

*Laughs in Asian*
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/11/19 11:01 PM

I've driven in Milan … and survived wink

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/11/19 11:03 PM

I think there needs to be more classes of licenses, driving a Fit or Corolla doesn’t mean you can drive a fullsize crew cab pickup or panel van, and it #%&*$# sure doesn’t mean you can drive a U-Haul van with a trailer behind it.
Posted By: Lieste

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/11/19 11:24 PM

No, but it *would* be safer if the traffic enforcement had sufficient teeth and intent to ban people permanently who demonstrate no suitability for operating a dangerous machine.

Not only in removing those incapable, but pour encourager les autres.
Posted By: Dart

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/11/19 11:56 PM

Define "safer drivers."

Some of the best and most fun driving in the world can be found in Puerto Rico. Think Italy mixed with Spain with a dash of Bangladesh. Everyone drives fast, rules are, um, unspoken agreements, lanes are guidelines, intersections are exercises in initiative, and parking is pretty much anywhere.

Amazingly there were few accidents that I saw in my week of driving all over the island.

Oh, and any US Southerner will appreciate the friendly "car wave" rather than angry horns.

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/12/19 03:22 AM

When I was stationed in Germany a lady misjudged while passing my humvee and hit the driver’s front wheel when she pulled back into our lane, breaking the steering gearbox. My battery commander was there while we waited for the mechanics, and when I mentioned how I’d gotten through a year in Korea without an accident he said “THIS is Germany.”
“Ever been to Korea, sir? Driven in Seoul?”
“Nope.”
“I didn’t think so.”
Posted By: Ssnake

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/12/19 11:37 PM

Is that so.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/12/19 11:43 PM

popcorn
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: Automatic Emergency Braking Systems Barely Work, CAA Says - 10/17/19 09:17 PM

The first car I drove with cruise control was my mother's 1963 Chrysler New Yorker. You's turn it on by pulling out a knob on the dash and set it by turning said knob. And if you went over the set speed it would push back on the throttle. Talk about a surprise the first time you experience something.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums