homepage

What3words

Posted By: RedToo

What3words - 08/15/19 05:05 PM

This sounds excellent. What a great idea:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49319760
Posted By: JimK

Re: What3words - 08/15/19 07:24 PM

For those to stupid to know how to use google maps. It would work.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: What3words - 08/15/19 08:23 PM

Let's see...

I hit the compass app on my phone and it gives me my Latitude and Longitude.

Oh, and yeah I can read a map.... Like Jim said.
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: What3words - 08/15/19 10:14 PM

Guys, read the entire article and the utility of this becomes clear. It's in no way a substitute for Google Maps. Whole different thing entirely.

I personally wouldn't have any use for it these days, but with certain jobs in the past it definitely would have been handy...
Posted By: JimK

Re: What3words - 08/15/19 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Zamzow
Guys, read the entire article and the utility of this becomes clear. It's in no way a substitute for Google Maps. Whole different thing entirely.

I personally wouldn't have any use for it these days, but with certain jobs in the past it definitely would have been handy...

Did read it all, and now look at myself wondering why I installed it. Just never happens to me. Guess it goes into the trash.
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: What3words - 08/15/19 10:35 PM

It actually strikes me as a good idea. Google Maps on my tablet does not make it easy to bring up latitude and longitude. For somebody out in a wilderness area with no street signs or readily describable landmarks... it is a quick, easy, and reasonably precise way to convey a location to the 911 operator, etc.
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: What3words - 08/15/19 11:00 PM

Really clever idea. Yeah, there's Lat and Long, but for many people this gets too complicated, especially also spelling them over a phone.

Ian and Karl from InrangeTV had a video up about an incident (Gun exploding) and specifically mentioned how tricky it is to get a 911 operator a location somewhere in rural Arizona. This solves this problem in a most elegant way for any place that doesn't have a street address.

As a City Dweller I currently have no use for it, but definitly worth a download for hikers and such.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: What3words - 08/16/19 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by JimK
For those to stupid to know how to use google maps. It would work.

If it saves a life, even of someone to 'stupid' to use Google maps then it is a useful innovation. Also Google map location ain't that precise. One has to consider lack of data, low battery, poor signal.
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: What3words - 08/16/19 02:54 PM

It could have been handy when I was attacked after a hit and run to my car, the numbers of the km distance on the motorway were not available, that's about the only time I can think of where I could not get across my location to the emergency services, it actually took another passer-by to call the police and tell them I was getting beat up before they responded.

The control room where I was calling kept asking for the km pole number and as I was under a bridge at the time there was no km pole around, I wonder if they would have responded to scoots.flock.pushed biggrin
Posted By: Fracture

Re: What3words - 08/16/19 05:11 PM

Darwin.Always.Wins
© 2024 SimHQ Forums