homepage

Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator

Posted By: The_Admiral

Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 08/02/19 11:48 AM

Dear fellow Simmers,

Let me inaugurate this brand new account (well, my old self of 15 years ago needed a rest in the deep archives of these boards... My EAW days are kinda gone frown ) with a question that might require your insight. Sorry to post that in the larger community hall, but the naval section being a bit deserted I wanted to have the largest, most diversified audience possible in order for this topic to make sense at all.

A few friends and myself, we are currently putting together a WW2 carrier game. It is more of a Task Force command simulation than anything actually - the POV is that of the flag officer, so don't expect just yet to jump into the cockpit of a wildcat, nor to take the helm of the big girl. It is closer to a wargame in terms of scale, but closer to a simulation in terms of settings and interaction. It's pausable real-time, definitely on the historical and realistic side of things, but with proper production quality and the sort of intuitiveness in the commands and the mechanics that still makes it understandable (like Microprose used to make them!). In a way, think Carriers at War meets Pacific Air War/Task Force 1942 meets Great Naval Battles meets HPS' Midway and you'll have an idea of what we're making - except it's 2019, 3D kicked in, World of Warships has been around for a few years and the glory of the 90s, the one we owe to Microprose, SSI, SSG and the likes, is pretty much gone for nearly two decades.

Why does it matter?

Well. It matters because I am in my mid 30s, which by every means in gaming makes me just, erm, old. duh
Like many of you, if not most of you, my gaming culture is made of the aforementioned era, and even though I am a WoWs player too, I hardly have any idea of what the younger community thinks or wants. Some of you have been blaming social media for thinning our ranks in here - it's not untrue, but I guess that a few younger players are lurking around these walls. I used to play PAW, Tank Platoon or Redstorm Rising when I was 12, but I have no idea how games such as these would be received today (although, the overall success of Cold Waters gives a positive clue). In a nutshell, does anyone here, young or older, hardcore or casual, would have any sort of interest in a game where you command a carrier Task Force? Is there a public at all today for this genre?

Don't get me wrong, we'll go ahead, we've invested so much time - and actual money - that your opinion will not prevent it from going forward. The wargaming community has been very receptive and friendly about the concept, but being a simmer at heart too, I thought it would be important to test the temperature here, even if it means taking some heat. blush

Of course some work has been done, and we'll be happy to share it with you in due time. But in the meantime please humor me and tell me if you'd be part of the target audience for a product of this kind, what would be your expectations and which features would you love to find in there?

Thanks in advance! S!
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/02/19 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by The_Admiral
In a nutshell, does anyone here, young or older, hardcore or casual, would have any sort of interest in a game where you command a carrier Task Force? Is there a public at all today for this genre?

Yes there is a market for a game like that but it would be a relatively niche one compared to the overall gamer market. I would say this applies even to the more streamlined casual naval sims like "Cold Waters".

Best of luck with the game development!
Posted By: RedOneAlpha

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/02/19 12:19 PM

I personally would love to see/buy a updated version of MicroProse TaskForce 1942, or Avalon Hill´s 5th Fleet (PC).

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/02/19 03:03 PM

Thank you!

Well, maybe let me reformulate then, maybe it will be a tad bit more clear.

Considering the games some of you might have played that had a connection to this topic, for instance :
- the old Gary Grisby's Carrier Strike
- SSG's Carriers at War - original & remake
- 1942: Pacific Air War's carrier battles module
- Any of SSI's Great Naval Battles involving carriers
- HPS' Midway
- SSI's War in the South Pacific
- Rule the Waves 2
- Any Gary Grisby Pacific-related game involving carriers (Uncommon Valor, War in the Pacific...)
- Or even more arcadish offerings, such as the Battlestations series or the Victory at Sea series

Is there anything you think that should be kept or absolutely avoided in any of these gaming experiences (gameplay wise in particular) regarding carrier management, while taking into account the limitations of the time, naturally?

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/02/19 03:09 PM

Is there anything you think that should be kept or absolutely avoided in any of these gaming experiences (gameplay wise in particular) regarding carrier management, while taking into account the limitations of the time, naturally?

I think having a multiplayer cooperative mode with a save feature would be absolutely great to have.

For example, I absolutely loved "Dangerous Waters" and put a couple of hundred hours into it but amazingly it did NOT have a save feature for online MP games.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/02/19 07:15 PM

@The_Admiral

From the games you mentioned in your recent post, I understand that you are suggesting a "wargame" style game. Although I love 688i H/K, Sub Command and Dangerous Waters (played all three alot with the Seawolves.org back in 2000), these don´t have much to do with the "wargames" mentioned in your post.

Jane´s Fleet Command, Naval War: Artic Circle, Harpoon 3 (CMANO) and John Tillers Naval Campaigns would also fit in your list.

But back to game style, I have most of VG´s Fleet series by Joseph M. Balkoski, and Gulf Strike (newer version) by Mark Herman, along with the recent South China Sea by Compass Games and John Gorkowski. Compass Games is also about to release Blue Water Navy. All these boardgames are obviously naval warfare themed, and I know of many who would love to see a proper naval warfare simulation of some kind. Even proper portovers to PC of some of the games I mentioned.

As for 3D, Victory at Sea Pacific and Pacific Storm are about the only "3D" worthwhile games at present that can be considered "combined arms". Cold Waters is fine, but it´s a light sub simulation and/or Rising Storm remake.

Personally, I think a updated version of Fleet Command or Naval War Artic Circle, which do include 3D models would be great if done right. Or something similar and/or better. I played plenty of Fleet Command via MP with the mentioned Seawolves and it was great fun.

I think we are missing a good naval warfare simulation with some 3D since the Fleet Command days, and that´s been a while now smile2

Red
Posted By: DBond

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/02/19 08:19 PM

I hardly have any idea of what the younger community thinks or wants.

You won't find it here biggrin

The concept is interesting to me, management and strategy games are my thing. But too little detail to know if your game is for me.

I think for me it would come down to how intricately the underlying systems are modeled. For example damage control, gunnery, armor/penetration, damage model, command and control, communication, supply, morale, visibility, promotions, transfers, maintenance and repair and the like. Simple or missing features don't make a game bad, just saying what might attract me to this sort of game, of which I know too little to say really.

And a campaign. Key component for me. Build something that plays differently for each run and you may be on to something.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/03/19 01:24 AM

Scaleability so you don't have to be an actual Admiral to dive into it smile There are plenty of younger gamers that give hard core and niche games a shot though and an outlet an audience via Youtube which shows not all up and coming or current gamers want only pretty graphics or Fortnite like BR games.

Very interested to see how it all pans out, good luck.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/03/19 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

I think having a multiplayer cooperative mode with a save feature would be absolutely great to have.

For example, I absolutely loved "Dangerous Waters" and put a couple of hundred hours into it but amazingly it did NOT have a save feature for online MP games.

Aye. Thanks!
Well, Dangerous Waters being the hardcore sim it is, technically I could understand that Sonalysts would treat he MP it like ED or 777 would treat theirs. Saving games in MP is not an easy feature to implement. Still, in our case it will come handy because of the time scale, for the same reasons someone might not be able to finish a Paradox Game session in an evening.

Still, it is a matter of planning step by step, taking into consideration our limited means. We planned our game project as more of an anthology (like Great Naval Battles was, for instance), focusing on a side or a theater and methodically increasing the scope thereafter. The immediate roadmap regarding these features would be :
- Volume 1 will focus on one side (USN), will be single-player and single-battle only (like CMANO does, btw) but will feature savegames and replays (which are part of the same more encompassing technology that will allow MP in the future, and as such are a necessary and cool first stage in the larger rocket) ;
- Volume 2 would focus on the other side (that is, the IJN), expand on single-player options and game modes beyond single scenarios and, hopefully, feature a full-fledged MP mode that might allow saving games - which is obviously an easier task in a 1v1 game than it is in an environment involving more players.

Originally Posted by Red2112
@The_Admiral
From the games you mentioned in your recent post, I understand that you are suggesting a "wargame" style game. Although I love 688i H/K, Sub Command and Dangerous Waters (played all three alot with the Seawolves.org back in 2000), these don´t have much to do with the "wargames" mentioned in your post.

Oh well, don't underestimate the power of genre-transcending products wink
By wargame I simply imply an emphasis on command, and no actual tactical station, whether it's sensor and weapon-based, true that. But as Fleet Command has shown, using basically the same engine as all other Sonalyst products, it is a matter of scale entirely as long as you make sure to have a good engine running under the hood. Our game is designed so that it will be rather easily scalable horizontally (new theaters, new navies, new eras) and vertically (up, at the operational level ; down, at the platform level). Although it's not for the next iteration, it is a characteristic we care about and will make sure to keep around.

Jane´s Fleet Command, Naval War: Artic Circle, Harpoon 3 (CMANO) and John Tillers Naval Campaigns would also fit in your list.

Yes of course, but all these except for John Tiller's are modern take at the genre. They have some room in my heart too no worries, but I just didn't want to end up with suggestions such as "I would not give planes a 360° radar coverage like vanilla FC did until NWS came and made it better" wink
Regarding John Tiller's work, of course he shall not be forgotten - no worries though, this is what I meant by HPS Midway, as it came out under this label originally (keep forgetting to switch my software to JTS instead, my mistake!). The one that I always forget though is Pacific Storm, which is a shame considering it's one of the most recent takes at the genre and is already quite underrated enough like that. Thanks for reminding me.

But back to game style, I have most of VG´s Fleet series by Joseph M. Balkoski, and Gulf Strike (newer version) by Mark Herman, along with the recent South China Sea by Compass Games and John Gorkowski. Compass Games is also about to release Blue Water Navy. All these boardgames are obviously naval warfare themed, and I know of many who would love to see a proper naval warfare simulation of some kind. Even proper portovers to PC of some of the games I mentioned.

Yes! Naturally, games such as VG's CARRIER or AH's Flat Top feature high on our list of references for inspiration and mechanics. Considering the map view will be an important feature (more on that later) counter design was not an easy thing and we had to make sure we took into account all the best practices. Fortunately Facebook (for all the good social networks can bring) has a few groups of interest in that regard, more particularly one centered on Wargame artwork design that seriously kicks ass, and is hosted by Gary K., who is devoted body and mind to the revival of CARRIER. It helps!

As for 3D, Victory at Sea Pacific and Pacific Storm are about the only "3D" worthwhile games at present that can be considered "combined arms". Cold Waters is fine, but it´s a light sub simulation and/or Rising Storm remake.

True that, but it's also the most successful game in a decade regarding the broader naval topic that isn't a Wargaming or Gaijin product wink but I understand what you mean. Still, I took it as an example for its impact on the market and its ability to find its audience in unexpected ways, the same sort of audience legacy Microprose products managed to mobilize back in the days.

Personally, I think a updated version of Fleet Command or Naval War Artic Circle, which do include 3D models would be great if done right. Or something similar and/or better. I played plenty of Fleet Command via MP with the mentioned Seawolves and it was great fun.
I think we are missing a good naval warfare simulation with some 3D since the Fleet Command days, and that´s been a while now smile2

Red

Amen!

And about the 3D models and the 3D scenery... Well sure thing. A few ones *might* be included along the way... But don't take my word for it wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(Oh well, it isn't much and very Work in Progress, but hopefully you might like what you see reading popcorn )

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/03/19 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by DBond

Aye! But if the stats are to be trusted, it seems we still have new members every day or so. Some of these HAVE to be young, they cannot statistically all be all farts like us, can they wink

The concept is interesting to me, management and strategy games are my thing. But too little detail to know if your game is for me.

I'll make sure to solve this at the earliest convenience!

I think for me it would come down to how intricately the underlying systems are modeled. For example damage control, gunnery, armor/penetration, damage model, command and control, communication, supply, morale, visibility, promotions, transfers, maintenance and repair and the like. Simple or missing features don't make a game bad, just saying what might attract me to this sort of game, of which I know too little to say really.

And a campaign. Key component for me. Build something that plays differently for each run and you may be on to something.

Oh well. Wise words indeed.
Except for the unfortunate campaign part (we're not there just yet, we need to build proper gameplay first) most of what you mention is already planned for, if not already there. Allow me to give a few details.

damage control, gunnery, armor/penetration, damage model

All of this is definitely there, although damage control as a mechanic will not be influenced by the player - it is not the role of the flag officer to carry on with this duty, as Duke Ramsey made it clear to Admiral Fletcher on a very bad day aboard USS Saratoga wink
But it's not because you're not assigning damage parties or manning the guns yourself that game mechanics are not there. Besides, even though the focus of the game is not surface combat, we still need all of this for airborne bomb and torpedo penetration anyway, so... Better go the extra mile early.

As you can see, the penetration model is pretty much up to the standards of World of Warships, which might be rather arcady a game in itself, but still has a rather advanced model in that regard. It is, along with War Thunder, the best there is on the market in 2019. Beyond other comparable "soft" gaming experiences such as Battlestations or Pacific Storm, well.... Fighting Steel (!) was probably the last time we had a serious attempt at simulating the topic, so I guess it's pretty nice if we can try to improve a bit on it. All ships will be divided into compartments with their own value, assigned subsystems, buoyancy ratio, etc... It will be kept a bit simplified for surface combatants first, and more advanced for carriers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Regarding gunnery, same stuff. It's there, and it is needed for a certain number of reasons: IJN ships routinely used heavy guns during air action (to vector in CAP fighters or against low-altitude enemy planes, for instance) and a proper Carrier command simulation in 2019 has to cope with the fact that it's about time we make surface and air-naval combat coexist in the same environment (I am looking at you, Task Force and Fighting Steel! burger ). Whether you're terribly good or terribly bad, at a certain point CVs might have to meet the wrong end of a naval gun.

[[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So, despite the obvious emphasis on carrier ops, expect something at least functional on surface front (and probably the subs too, but that will come later).

[img]command and control, communication,[/img]

That is really one of the mainstay features, and it is closely connected to Fog of War and how to simulate it properly. If something has been lacking in naval simulations so far, it is an advanced "under the hood" management of this central parameter that had so much impact on all ops during this era. I'll just give a few examples :

- Air navigation in carrier combat is always left somewhat untouched, even though it does explain some of the most spectacular SNAFU moments of the entire war. Point Option management, Zed Baker systems and the likes will all feature prominently and force you to take into account that your pilots didn't have on-board GPS back in 1942.

- When a land-based naval search aircraft goes on a mission, there is no way for its base to check in realtime its situation. As a land-based asset, it is not necessarily obliged to keep radio silent, and regular radio checks can happen. Still, if a Betty or a Mavis happens to stumble upon a carrier task force unknowingly and get surprised by the CAP (usually thanks to the advantages offered by RADAR and the ensuing fighter direction effort), it might get shot down before being able to signal its base, like it happened quite often in the Solomons and elsewhere in 1942. Consequence: the base wouldn't know about the loss before the next radio check, hours later perhaps, or even only when the plane actually fails to return. Considering things like that would happen usually in the latter half of a search pattern, it could very well be late in the afternoon already, with no possibility for the base to launch a strike with any sort of chance of finding anything. Any action of that kind happening near Rennell island (for instance) would mean that Rabaul would have millions of sq miles to search for by the moment the news reaches them. Gameplay-wise, it also means that the computer needs to be put in the very same situation, accessing the same amount of information as a human player would if you want to end up with a credible and coherent response. It also gives the US player the proper advantage it had in such a situation, as the intel team aboard the flagship would be able to monitor any scouting plane radio traffic with a certain degree of certainty. Knowing you have or have not been spotted makes all the difference in a Carrier Battle, and things can escalate quickly from there.

- It is even more foggy in the case of a naval-based search aircraft. In this case, radio silence is strictly enforced, as naval-based assets absolutely don't want to give any clue about where they're coming from. You cannot expect home-plate to raise them on the radio either. Although they run a smaller risk of being taken out early, you will usually have to contend with the sometimes faulty intel they may provide you in the heat of the moment. Past games have sort of simulated this by making info somewhat unreliable in terms of numbers and types (this is what you see in TF1942 and 1942:PAW for instance) but some aspects are only so rarely touched: inaccuracy regarding the geographical position provided (we're talking about navigating the ocean...), mistakes in the encoding if the message wasn't in plain language (this is what happened to Yorktown's scout the morning Shoho got sunk - the encoding was wrong and a CV was reported where there was no CV... All the way until the moment the plane got home), garble if the message is in plain language (the distance will matter), delays in decoding or transmitting (which will explain why SWPAC reports sometimes failed to reach SOPAC and ultimately Fletcher in time, if at all), etc...

For instance, the following screenshot of our prototype map interface shows an enemy TF being spotted repeatedly (each cross being connected to the relevant contact report) all the way to the last cross. The counter/plot is actually the predicted position of the contact according to the latest info available, but it is not its actual location.

[Linked Image]

If a new contact report was to be made beyond a certain distance from the expected location, it will turn into a new contact. The player will be able to merge, de-merge, re-merge all these contacts at will, but he will have to make the final call (as long as he picked the highest level of realism, that is). If you are to use this info in order to send a strike after the enemy, you will have to make do, but don't forget you might very well meet the same problems as those experienced by the US carrier groups at Midway. USS Enterprise's dive bombers, in particular, very nearly missed the Japanese Task Force entirely because it changed its course between the moment it got spotted very early in the morning and the moment the airgroup was supposed to make contact. Our goal is to allow the engine to recreate this sort of situation dynamically, outside the help of scripting (which will still be made available for a lot of other uses, stille). We'll have to work much on the tuning and all, but it doesn't seem to be totally out of reach.

supply, morale, visibility, promotions, transfers, maintenance and repair

Considering our scale, some of these (promotions, transfers, supply) won't need to feature in our very first volume: as in-game time shouldn't exceed a few days in the worst case scenario, you won't have to fight for the last steak aboard USS Yorktown smile

Morale in my opinion is quite an overrated factor in that particular case. On the American and Japanese side both, I cannot see a single occurrence of aircrews not going above and beyond their duty in face of the most impossible odds, whether we're talking about the US fliers at Midway or the Japanese fliers at Santa Cruz, to pick the most extreme examples. Even in the case of their chiefs, decisions at Midway or Coral Sea on the Japanese side were fully understandable, and so were Fletcher's even though he got much criticism for it. Here again, the strategic AI will be given the needed info and logic to take decisions that might look like questionable with hindsight, but will be understandable considering the amount of intel available and the historical examples at hand. Rather than morale, I would go for crew fatigue instead, and this will be featured for flying crews - together with wounds. Same thing with the planes, that will go through their maintenance cycle.

Well, anyway, enough of a wall of text for today I suppose. Hopefully this info will allow everybody to have a clearer picture of our project. At any rate, if you have other questions, please shoot, I'll be happy to answer - if I can wink

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/03/19 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ajay
Scaleability so you don't have to be an actual Admiral to dive into it smile There are plenty of younger gamers that give hard core and niche games a shot though and an outlet an audience via Youtube which shows not all up and coming or current gamers want only pretty graphics or Fortnite like BR games.

Very interested to see how it all pans out, good luck.

Hey Ajay,

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, scalability will be there, that's in no small part the "sim" aspect of this project. You will be able to toggle all the features I mentioned previously depending on the sort of experience you're looking for, like in the old days. The same way you're allowed to switch on or off that "sun blind spot" parameter in every combat sim pretty much since Red Baron, you might want to have always accurate reports, or know the position of your planes in real time, have your avatar be invulnerable during air attacks, enable/disable external views, etc... As with Red Baron, too keep this comparison, this will result in a realism setting that might be taken into account for the calculation of the final score for any given scenario. But I like to give people a choice. Our game will be pretty much playable like the most hardcore carrier command sim ever maid, or like a more classic Pacific Storm/Battlestations-like RTS. Your choice.

I am an old Microprose player myself, and I cannot but emphasize how important, back in the day, it was to provide a self-explanatory, intuitive gaming experience, with or without the generous manual that was provided with the games. In my opinion, a proper "game" should be designed so that playing it makes you feel interested in reading more of the manual in order to get better or enjoy the game further, instead of giving you the idea that you can't do anything without reading it first. Don't get me wrong, I've been playing hardcore stuff since the early days of Jane's too, but you might see my point if you have played Longbow 2 and EAW (both of which probably robbed me of hundreds if not thousands of hours of my short life, and a few early girlfriend experiences) - and you might agree with me that Tsuyoshi Kawahito designed two very different experiences there. In this case, we'll stick to the latter one for now wink

Regarding the manual, we plan on going for a Kickstarter campaign at the end of the development cycle in order to provide this game with a proper box, manual and goodies of all sort. If we are to make a game, whether it is the first one and maybe even the last one, I want it to go full YOLO. If you're willing to support this on the base of the final game at that point, I'll be happy to provide the player with the full 1990s experience, artworks and goodies included wink

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/03/19 03:39 PM

Ok, now you got me quite exited with your recent post! smash

I have linked this post over at the Matrix Games general forum, hope nobody minds.

Red

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/03/19 04:03 PM

Well, erm, no worries. I am a known suspect over there too anyway, as long as Matrix Games don't mind, I don't either wink
Thank you Red, any help is always much appreciated ^^
Posted By: DBond

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/03/19 04:37 PM

Those shots look great. We get, from time to time, new members coming on and announcing a new project or sounding one out. I always approach such things skeptically, they are usually just an idea.

But whoa, look at those shots. This is way beyond the idea stage, and your work is gorgeous.
Posted By: theOden

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/03/19 05:28 PM

I like your wall of text, fog of war part in particular.
Will I be able to create "what-if" scenarious such as "Fletcher TF 11 arrives as Wake Island" or will it be set scenarious only?
(what i'm getting at is, will there be any player mission editor - sorry if already stated as I'm reading with beer goggles atm)

You managed to make me a very possible customer so far, keep your text-walls coming smile

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/03/19 05:40 PM

smile
The_Admiral at his 30-something is actually part of the younger community here
But he will catch up with us, in 20 or so.
biggrin

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/03/19 06:28 PM

But whoa, look at those shots. This is way beyond the idea stage, and your work is gorgeous.

Well, thank you DB! But I am just the guy who watches the others work, I'll pass on your kind words wink

Actually it helps probably that I am not doing actual work, considering my questionable work output. Although I was there from the beginning and got in touch with the good man who eventually became our lead dev, today we're a team of 4 people (one dev, one 3D artist, one 2D artist, and myself wink ). We can also count on the kind help of a few experts out there in the gaming community, who already provided a lot of help - and doing us provide us with the little extra knowledge or thinking that we need every now and then (and sometimes it's a BIG little).

About the development proper: fortunately the engine was already there, well-rounded and efficient. Although it is home-made, it fits our needs nicely and our dev doesn't need to write a ticket to the support of some third-party software supplier in order to get an answer. He solves his own problems, and it really helps with project management (and time!). In all modesty (and no thanks to me anyway ^^) the engine does kick butt. One of the characteristic of the game is that it will allow a seamless transition between the normal 2D map and the actual 3D world, a feature which allows the player to zoom at will on the action. Naturally, this tool will have its limits that you might set yourself (and decide when it transitions to 3D, if it transitions at all). At the highest level of realism, if you were to disable external views entirely, it will be completely unavailable. Here's a little demo of our tech. Everything written on this map is a placeholder and a test for different labels of different colors - so please don't mind the typos too much. Besides, no worries, there will not be an actual "iron bottom sound" label on that map unless you add it yourself wink

The terrain is actually procedurally generated from level maps and nautical charts, and then we get to customize the important parts. Fortunately, we're dealing with the Pacific here, so save a few iconic bases the workload is still manageable (it will be much less so when we add the Indian Ocean and Oahu to the list in volume 2, but for now the largest cities on the maps will be Rabaul and Port Moresby. Highly manageable biggrin ). Besides the terrain, the engine also handles everything that is needed for a successful ocean-based simulation, as you can see with these few showcases (time, weather & dynamic water rendition/physics)

Besides our one-man-army God of coding, we can count on very enthusiastic mates for the assets. Our 3D naval and environmental artist for instance is a very young prodigy who makes beautiful progress every single day. We are very lucky to have come across him and he'll deliver us with the full IJN and USN naval roster by the beginning of next year. Top notch work, considering we still have to care about the polygon limit in order to keep all this playable to a proper extend. Even though graphics will be tweakable (again, it's somewhat in the simulation DNA side of things) one still needs to make sure 50 planes on the screen, a whole TF and the relevant flak will not slow down an average computer down to a creep. Here are a few photos of his recent work for the project. I am pretty sure anybody serious about the topic will have no difficulty knowing who is who in this family reunion winkngrin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We will not use generic models. Each and every ship class simulated will have its design carefully recreated, and when possible we will also model the different sub-classes or modernizations accordingly. USS South Dakota, for instance, will differ from USS Indiana as much as she should, although they're technically from the same mold. Likewise, the Kongo sisters will have their own little particularities. Here, you can see USS Lexington before and after her quick spring refit at Pearl Harbor, where she exchanged her cruiser-grade battery of eight inchers for additional light AA guns, for lack of available five inch DP turrets at the time. We will also naturally feature USS Saratoga's own modernization following her February torpedo hit (with the aforementioned five inch dual turrets). All the relevant skins will be available from the start, a most important feature knowing that none of the Yorktown sisters ended up with the same camo measure at Midway.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Finally, here's also the sort of quality you might expect from us in terms of 2D assets. We received the help of a very, very talented French artist who knows his way around planes. He is currently providing us with all the art assets needed for loading screens, marketing - hell, even our new studio's logo. We will end up producing enough content that I will be certainly in position to edit an actual artbook about all his work. See for yourself, and tell me: wouldn't they be gorgeous to stare at while your game load, or as your new mouse mat in our deluxe edition? seehearspeak

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Extra kuddos to anyone who can tell us who is flying what on these pictures, and when! burnout

Anyway, enough propaganda for one day, gotta zoom.

Originally Posted by theOden
Will I be able to create "what-if" scenarious such as "Fletcher TF 11 arrives as Wake Island" or will it be set scenarious only?
(what i'm getting at is, will there be any player mission editor - sorry if already stated as I'm reading with beer goggles atm)

You managed to make me a very possible customer so far, keep your text-walls coming smile

Oh well, fear not - anyone calling me a young man certainly more than deserves his own wall of text, there is no question about it. You'll get it yep
Gotta go for the time being, but I'll write a few words about our approach regarding scenarios tomorrow, sure thing. Thank you, distinguished very possible customer winkngrin

In the meantime, I wish everybody a very nice evening - and if you have any question, please feel free to keep 'em coming!

S!
Posted By: Nixer

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/03/19 11:15 PM

Wow!

More than a little excited about this.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/04/19 06:00 AM

Soooo! About the game modes and scenarios. Our plans are as follows:

- Single-battle scenarios (between 30 and 40 of them)
- A scenario builder (giving you all the same tools we had to create the original scenarios)
- A battle generator (for anyone who wishes to randomize a classic carrier brawl with a few parameters - the map, the size, the mission, etc...)

Add to this side functionalities: a Replay function, so that you might have a complete overview of the action (and enjoy external views for your AAR if you had disabled them during the actual game) and a Savegame function, which will obviously allow you to test a few different options from your own starting point. These two are needed as a basic coding base for future multiplayer anyway, so better get them early in order to have a good frame from the get-go and provide you with an acceptable single-player experience. Besides, we are not providing a full map of the Pacific, but theater maps instead (à la Il-2 if you will). Early maps will include Wake (aka the cute place you can see earlier in this post) + Marcus, Midway, the Marshall & Gilberts area and the whole of SOPAC, at least from New Britain all the way southeast to Vanuatu. Volume 2, which (hopefully) will primarily feature the IJN, shall add Oahu, Java, Ceylon and the Aleutians to the mix, but it's a tad early to tell.

Now, regarding the single-battle scenarios themselves, I would split them into three categories

Historical encounters
First of all, I have to remind you that the current scope of the game remains limited to the US Navy side, and mostly to 1942. We just don't have the time or the resources to make sure that the IJN side will receive the same attention to detail, as we are carefully crafting the command experience on the US side in order for immersion to be complete.

These are the classic deal. Historical carrier encounters (Coral Sea, Midway, Eastern Solomons & Santa Cruz), some of them with micro variants (Coral Sea in particular needs a Tulagi start, a Shoho start and a last day start), historical ops (February raids, Lae strike, Doolittle raid, Watchtower landings...) and close historical encounters that might have developed into a carrier battle in their own right (late August near encounters between Fletcher and Nagumo, Hornet's mid-october sparring around Guadalcanal, Enterprise's last stand in November). Let's say that it will account for 1/3 of the initial offering.

Then there are the variants to the classics. Midway alone offers a wealth of scenarios we are all well-aware of (plus or minus Coral Sea, Zuikaku, HYPO, Kakuta, Saratoga, Point Luck...) and other ops provide interesting things to try (Saratoga or Wasp surviving into October, etc...). It might not be endless, but to all intends & purposes it pretty much feels like so. That's another big third.

Then you have the actual "what ifs": the Wake relief ops proceeding ahead, a Doolittle raid happening closer to the home islands in range of a KB division, Hornet being caught with her pants down during the September lull, case studies, blue-on-blue fleet problems... And there you go.

We plan on having a powerful scripting engine that will allow these scenarios to be scripted to a certain extent, mainly for narrative reasons. You need scripts if you want to emulate things like Enterprise's SNAFUs at Midway, actual mistakes that happened and might need to happen for the needs of the scenario, secondary tasks (such as the need to find and rescue Neosho and Sims on the last day of Coral Sea), communications with CINCPAC, etc... These might involve choices and exchanges with members of your staff: I usually take the example of Fletcher's argument with his intel officer (Forrest Biard) who advocated a night surface attack moment before the final clash at Coral Sea and got rebuked, as the sort of choices you might have to make regarding the course of action for what follows. We'll make it a bit graphic, with 30 or so portraits of staff and sailors of all ranks that will feature in this interactions. These portraits will be available to the player if he makes his own scenarios, of course.

Finally, about building your own scenarios, we are very much in favor of providing the player with the very same tools we used ourselves to make the stock scenarios. In this very, very early screenshot of the editor taken a few months ago, you can see that we plan on making pretty much everything customizable, all the way up to the pilot profiles - which despite the short time window of the scenarios is still needed, considering there will be a bit of pilot management, and hence the need to display historical names accordingly for more flavor.

[Linked Image]

Naturally, building all this stuff involves a lot of research, and at a certain point we might need some external help to finish the job (we have already a few volunteers ready to go, big thanks to you Gents notworthy ). But don't you worry about the basic experience, I think we've got you covered. We did our homework long ago, and we still learn every day wink

[Linked Image]

S!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/04/19 06:42 AM

How delightful to read.
It is obvious you guys have done your homework so far reading your examples.
As long as you know more than me I'm safe for immersion haha.

My entry to Wake Island etc. is from IL-2 missions so that detailed roster is good news (almost a little too detailed).

But yeah, this look seriously good, love the map-to-3D transition, very impressive and you guys seems to put in effort "before needed" seeing it will be needed anyhow in the near future - this is very fresh for someone with that last few years experience from flight simulators.

Good thing that "AAR tool", DBond now we expect you to out-do yourself biggrin

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/04/19 07:34 AM

Thanks Oden,

Just a remark, there was a piece of text missing in the previous post. Here it is, I just edited it back into existence.

Early maps will include Wake (aka the cute place you can see earlier in this post) + Marcus, Midway, the Marshall & Gilberts area and the whole of SOPAC, at least from New Britain all the way southeast to Vanuatu. Volume 2, which (hopefully) will feature primarily the IJN, shall add Oahu, Java, Ceylon and the Aleutians to the mix, but it's a tad early to tell.

Cheers!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/05/19 12:06 PM

Count me in as a potential buyer. Do you guys think you will have your game on Steam or will it be a direct buy option on your website?
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/05/19 12:26 PM

I've only had time to skim this thread, but this looks great. Count me in as well.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/05/19 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nixer
Wow!

More than a little excited about this.

Originally Posted by F4UDash4
I've only had time to skim this thread, but this looks great. Count me in as well.

Count me in as a potential buyer. Do you guys think you will have your game on Steam or will it be a direct buy option on your website?

Thank you Gentlemen!

About availability we're aiming for a Steam edition, that's for sure (including steamworks, achievements & all...). But if our Deluxe box thing becomes real, then we will need a buy option on the website. Naturally then, a digital version will be available on the website all the same, with a Steam key (although Steam takes its fair share during a normal sale, Valve is kind enough to provide keys to the devs when selling through other platforms, including their own). But all of this is still a bit early to tell - let us deliver you with a proper game first, then we'll give you a good reason to spend your virtual cash wink

I realize you haven't seen many planes so far (which, arguably, doesn't help sounding serious about a carrier command sim). I was just uploading new content, I thought some of you might want to have a look.

The first video is about a few F4Fs taking off, flying in formation and breaking formation to enter the landing pattern.

The second video is a longer example of a flight of TBDs landing on the carrier. Some parts are not animated yet, and our virtual flyboys are still too much of hotshots it seems (man, they always seem to catch that first wire, no stress...) but it's a good beginning. All the planes answer to a basic flight model that still allows for a believable behavior, but we have yet to fully test it in combat. All of this is naturally still in the works, so don't be too harsh. We're just getting started wink

Finally, this one is about our Air Boss / Plane Management AI. As you know certainly, US carrier doctrine had the hangar primarily used for maintenance and long-term storage, while part if not most of the airgroup complement (when these started to outgrow the ships) would be preferably stored on the flight deck. The job of the Air Boss is to make sure that the flight deck is always open for business, or ready for the next task in line at least. Often planes would be reshuffled entirely from the bow to the stern to allow take offs, and from the stern to the bow to allow landings. Being a deck hand back in these days sure was quite demanding in terms of physical effort, to say the least!

Now hopefully, it will look less empty and more convincing, especially to the eyes of our esteemed warbird-lovers (and I am one of them wink )...!

S!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/06/19 12:22 PM

Colour me impressed. As for EAW, yes, late nights and red eyes. Great times.

Have you posted on the WoWs subreddit? Plenty of older chaps over there salivating for a decent sim like this.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/06/19 12:39 PM

Hello Ajay,

No I didn't, to tell the truth I am a bit uneasy about communicating by myself outside of - how should I call it? - my natural boundaries. I allow myself a few posts to test the waters at SimHQ or Grogheads because, well, they're communities not attached to a publisher and covering two different categories of the public we're aiming for, but I wouldn't breach into someone else's community unannounced. Even if, obviously, WoWs' reddit doesn't belong to Wargaming - but I just don't want to give players the wrong idea, especially when it comes to poaching on somebody else's lands. We don't even have a name for the product yet (oh well, we do but it's a bit early still wink ) and no website to show for.

If someone else was to post about it someday and I am sorta "invited" over there to post updates or answer questions of course I'll do it with joy - like I do in the Matrixgames general discussion forum, courtesy of Red. But starting a thread on my own would be a little bit intrusive and akin to spam I think. I am comfortable doing so at SimHQ because the postcount of my old account kinda allows me to virtually pull some rank wink and I got invited over at Grogheads, but I won't invite myself to a community centered on another game and brag, that wouldn't be super classy and a bit presumptuous from me I guess. duck

(besides, I've just checked, I have grand total of 7 karma on Reddit... And that's just my personal account, if I was to create a new one just for posting propaganda now I'd really look a bit awkward wouldn't I winkngrin )

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/06/19 08:05 PM

Hi ADM,

I think your quite a gentelman <S>

On another note, I do hope it´s released in some other platforms besides Steam. On your own site sounds great, or maybe even GOG.

Red
Posted By: Wklink

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/07/19 03:02 AM

Interesting. Will have to keep this on my radar for sure. I know this is very early in development but it looks good so far. I know 1C is talking about a carrier ops game as well but with more focus on the flight simulation aspect. It would be interesting to see this meshed with that title, ala Rowan's Battle of Britain.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/07/19 08:09 AM

Oh, hello Tom, what a nice surprise! Thank you!

Brings me back to these days we'd make you Babe offerings on the altar of the EAW forum yep
Sorry, I don't have a pic of Alyssa Milano just here to express it properly, but she's not anymore the woman you used to know anyway lawncareby20mm

By 1C I suppose you mean the project for a PTO expansion to il2 BoX, right? A project that Jason Williams himself seems to hold dear and close to his heart from what I have read - and I understand him all too well!
By every mean the level of air combat simulation and realism implied by a dedicated il2 product will be far above and beyond what we will be able to provide, especially at our current scale (that is tactical command). Even though the level of detail might allow some day after release a platform-based side dish (I wish I could fly a F4F over the TF and I am not alone in that - old 1942:Pacific Air War vibes I suppose) we will hardly compare to the level of care and depth involved in each and every plane made by the Il2 team. Of course I am happy know that Il-2 is getting to that scale itself very soon with the Air Marshall system, and I am very much looking forward to it smile

In our case, beyond the scope of the simulation there is also the simple fact that we need to make sure that performance will never be an issue. Part of our public is already very wargamey, if not grognard-minded, and they are not really known for running their own personal Cray-powered computer in their garage - something that might have set them apart from the simulation community over the decades. If most of the scenes rarely involve more than 10 planes at full detail level at any time, we still need to be able to run smoothly the most critical of them all, that is views showing a deckload of plane warming up. With 30+ planes all in the frame at the same moment, your optimization better be top notch. That would explain why our planes end up not being as detailed as they could be. We needed to find a balance between eye-candy and performance. I think we pretty much have it now.

As you can see, despite the fact that you won't get to fly these things, we still did put some emphasis on making them look nice to the eye. Got this few shots from our paintshop just yesterday, that should give to the trained eyes out there an insight about our skinning potential and the techs we are using. I am adamant about providing ASAP the tools needed to splash some paint around when the game comes out, so the editors and viewers we're using for development will be readily available shortly after release. Being an old EAW hand, I think we suffered enough like that 20 years ago, didn't we wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Besides, being a purely solo experience for now (and as such free from the fear of seeing the system abused online) we did put together a decal system that is rather complete and user friendly. It seems right that each and every squadron in historical scenarios get the change to have their colors painted right, not to mention the pilots and their iconic mounts when they had one, of course. Truth be told, USN markings for the first half of 1942 were a complete mess of different regulations applied with more or less customization throughout the fleet, and we want to reflect that for historical flavor. It is only fair, considering the ships will have their own coat of paint too, major units in the same class showing differences in paint scheme depending on how and when they joined the Pacific Fleet (Yorktown and Hornet compared to Enterprise being rather obvious examples).

[Linked Image]

Here for instance, you can see a flight of TBDs sporting their own individual squadron markings (VT-6 hailing from USS Enterprise, circa late 1941 style).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Well well. More on all of this later. Gotta catch up with work - the real one, that puts the bread on the table wink

S! Everybody, have a nice day!

[Linked Image]

Oh By the way Tom, I nearly forgot, someone had something to tell you blush

[Linked Image]

wink

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/07/19 11:46 AM

Love that you set this shot up.

[Linked Image]

Understand about the crossposting stuff. I got a bag of karma i can afford to lose so i'll throw a small post over one there and link it back here and see if it gets any interest.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/07/19 12:04 PM

Wow. Original off Guadalcanal I believe.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/07/19 03:43 PM

Love that you set this shot up.

Ah yes yes yes. Glad to have a connaisseur on board thumbsup

Wow. Original off Guadalcanal I believe.

Yes, August 8 morning attack, the most murderous action of the campaign for the Betty crews (and they had many). Out of 23 Betties of of the elite 4th and Misawa Kokutai attacking that morning, 17 went down, mainly due to AAA fire. 125 bomber crews perished or went missing that day. Still, they did put a torpedo into USS Jarvis and as such were responsible for her utter loss a few days later when she got jumped by 30 bloodthirsty rikko and sank with all hands. These were ugly days...

I distinctively remember coming across this photo for the first time on a weekend day, in the French aviation monthly Le Fana de l'Aviation that ran a special series of articles on Watchtower, at a time when I was actually playing these actions in 1942:Pacific Air War. Actually, a short search over the internet found me the original issue in no time:

[Linked Image]

That felt great. I was 11 or so, but by this time TV was already such a bore to me... Nothing beats a dogfight with Saburo Sakai I guess, even with that sort of painful screen resolution wink
And today, it is sort of special and funny to realize that our 2D artist happens to routinely draw covers for Le Fana. The circle of life or somethin', like Mufasa would say biggrin

Understand about the crossposting stuff. I got a bag of karma i can afford to lose so i'll throw a small post over one there and link it back here and see if it gets any interest.

Thank you! I'll go say hello wink
By the way, you also gave me the opportunity to post my first message over there. I saw people trashing my waifu. mycomputer
Nobody trashes that gracious, balanced and totally historical lady that is Okhotnik on my watch! wink

(Oh and by the way, you sure have QUITE the bagload of Karma indeed eek )

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/07/19 04:21 PM

I distinctively remember coming across this photo for the first time on a weekend day, in the French aviation monthly Le Fana de l'Aviation that ran a special series of articles on Watchtower, at a time when I was actually playing these actions in 1942:Pacific Air War.

1942 PAW is still my all time favorite flight sim, adjusted for the expectations of the day wink

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/08/19 03:42 PM

I distinctively remember coming across this photo for the first time on a weekend day, in the French aviation monthly Le Fana de l'Aviation that ran a special series of articles on Watchtower, at a time when I was actually playing these actions in 1942:Pacific Air War.

1942 PAW is still my all time favorite flight sim, adjusted for the expectations of the day wink

Oh then, I guess you won't hate the following few sneak peeks wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Making experiments with the air combat engine as we speak. Hopefully we'll have something to show by the beginning of next week.
(it's the AI flying, of course. We're just watching...)

Originally Posted by Red2112
Hi ADM,

I think your quite a gentelman <S>

On another note, I do hope it´s released in some other platforms besides Steam. On your own site sounds great, or maybe even GOG.

Red

Thank you wink

Good question, but it is still a bit too early to tell. What is most interesting with Steam is actually the full range of functionalities coming with Steamworks - and knowing they're taking a 30% cut, we do plan on taking full advantage of what the achievement system allows (among other things). But this virtually makes an actual non-DRM GOG version complicated to design initially. We'll see, but don't hold your breath... frown

(of course being the weasel I am, if Epic was ever to put 500k on the table in front of us for an exclusive, we might find a way to live without Steamworks - but in the meantime we'll just keep on making a proper game and keep dreamin' seehearspeak wink )

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/09/19 03:29 AM

You won't have to fight for the last steak aboard USS Yorktown

Well there goes our realism boys! Might as well pack it up and get those pitchforks out, WE'VE BEEN DUPED AGAIN!

Regards pc specs, what sort of gear do you think will be needed for max settings all round? Also, dibs on beta testing if you ever open it up before release. Oh yes, that French artist of yours, magnifique! His work is gorgeous! And semi lastly, John Thachs wildcat at Midway and the Dauntless should be from VS5 of the Yorktown? The S letter is (should be) for scout, so scout 7 by the looks of it. I can't find the correct info on that exact plane and pilot combo though and my Dauntless units of WW2 book has let me down.

You might find this link interesting, if you don't already have it that is. The Office of Naval Intelligence U.S. Navies combat narrative of Midway - https://www.history.navy.mil/resear...dway-3-6-june-1942-combat-narrative.html

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/09/19 05:49 AM

You won't have to fight for the last steak aboard USS Yorktown

Well there goes our realism boys! Might as well pack it up and get those pitchforks out, WE'VE BEEN DUPED AGAIN!

My cynical plans are already exposed! #%&*$# it! laser
I wish we could get duped on a more regular basis though, that would mean that more games are actually in the works blush frown
As for the specs, the objective it that it runs smoothly on an average 2020 rig with acceptable details. The engine is currently very scalable, this means that if you really want stuff to the max, theorically I am not sure it would work properly on a top notch computer - but at the same time, it still looks very good on a more average setting. We will have to make sure to design a few detail levels to choose from that all might be acceptable and offer a coherent experience. And like any simulation, some purely eye-candy functions (reflections, etc...) might be more demanding than others, and will probably be deactivable by the user if he wishes so.

The target audience being made of wargamers too (which are not exactly known for their taste in computer tuning and water-cooled graphic chips) our goal is to make sure that their default experience will be flawless, although it shall not prevent a simulation player with a good rig to make the most of what is available.

And semi lastly, John Thachs wildcat at Midway and the Dauntless should be from VS5 of the Yorktown? The S letter is (should be) for scout, so scout 7 by the looks of it. I can't find the correct info on that exact plane and pilot combo though and my Dauntless units of WW2 book has let me down.

That's right for the F4F wink
The Dauntless is Scout 7 from Enterprise's VS6, flown by Norman "Dusty" Kleiss, scoring for the second time of the day against a carrier. "Dusty" got the second hit against Hiryu after Richard Jaccard's first bomb. This depicts the moment when supposedly Hiryu's forward elevator got blown up against her island following the initial blasts.

[Linked Image]

Poor girl!

Needed an Enterprise craft so that everybody would feature on the box art. At the end we depicted a fighter boy, a bombing deadeye and a torpedo hero from three different carriers - nobody's gonna be jealous!

You might find this link interesting, if you don't already have it that is. The Office of Naval Intelligence U.S. Navies combat narrative of Midway - https://www.history.navy.mil/resear...dway-3-6-june-1942-combat-narrative.html

Thank you smile
No worries, this one is already in our safe, along with all its little friends (and all the action reports available for Midway, which makes for a few hundred pages... Fortunately for us the Navy IS a bit on the paperwork side of things ^^)

Small question about "our" Reddit thread btw, because I am really a beginner and not really aware of how it works (not as much as I should that's sure), did my answer to stardestroyer001 actually got published at all? Because even though I can see it on my computer, my phone absolutely refuses to display it, and I wonder if it wasn't moderated or something (linking to the Gary Cooper movie might have raised a flag or something maybe? No idea).

Could be the phone though...

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/09/19 08:54 AM

Nope, no answer to SD, just his question. Maybe you saved it instead of submitting? If you posted and a mod removed it you will get an automated or mod message stating why and i will also be able to see your post in a little box simply saying 'removed'

Are you using standard reddit app on mobile? if so switch to RiF or BaconReader. The standard app sucks smile RiF is my go to. On pc, old Reddit is much better than the redesign, do this 'Go to preferences, & under beta options, make sure that the first 2 boxes are unchecked, while the last option – View user profiles on desktop using legacy mode – is checked. You may also be able to do it by clicking the arrow next to your user name and selecting 'opt out', if that is still an option there.

The Dauntless is Scout 7 from Enterprise's VS6, flown by Norman "Dusty" Kleiss

Poor old Norman doesn't even get a mention in my book, those bastids.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/09/19 09:30 AM

Ah. Well it definitely shows on the computer though. I'll try to repost see if I get smacked wink

See here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWar...4y?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Strangely enough the postcount doesn't move up... Hurmpf... Do you see anything when you click that link?
If it is still not working I might start to worry about Kenpeitai involvement...! screwy

Poor old Norman doesn't even get a mention in my book, those bastids.

Dont worry for Dusty, others are keeping his legend alive smile2
https://www.facebook.com/NeverCallMeAHero/

Very helpful lot, they were able to find very rare footage of VS6 planes at Midway for us and confirm the actual paintscheme they used during the battle. Yesterday, still on Facebook, I sent a call in the wild looking for a TBD pilot's handbook, and a collector had it for me too. Actually social media isn't so bad at all as long as you socialize with the right kind of people! wink

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/09/19 10:32 AM

Yep it shows now, 55 Minutes ago it says it was posted.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/09/19 12:21 PM

Thank you!
Posted By: Gatorman82

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/20/19 05:33 PM

I'm jealous! For years I've wanted to update Taskforce: 1942 and 1942: PAW. I've toyed with it on my own, but there's just too much work to be done without a full team to work with. It's such a cool subject.

Good luck!

Ed Fletcher
Producer / Lead Programmer
Taskforce: 1942
1942: the Pacific Air War

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/20/19 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gatorman82
I'm jealous! For years I've wanted to update Taskforce: 1942 and 1942: PAW. I've toyed with it on my own, but there's just too much work to be done without a full team to work with. It's such a cool subject.

Good luck!

Ed Fletcher

Thanks for two of my all time favorites Ed!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/21/19 05:14 AM

Oooooooh Ed!!! Mr. Fletcher!

I had lost hope, I thought we'd never see you again around here!
Thank you for passing by and saying hello. It means a lot to us.
I might have been young back then, but it was pretty difficult not to get used to remembering your name (besides that of your omnipresent, historical distant parent of course wink ) and that of all the team considering they would show up every time in the hall of fame scoring system (yes, younglings, MPS games HAD a scoring system indexed on game difficulty and realism, and we will do that too!)

Is there any way we might keep in touch? I sure value the opinion of one of the very beings to whom we owe TF1942 and PAW. And if this project succeeds, there's no way you might escape from getting a free copy of course, especially if we carry on with a physical box edition!

Best Regards and, again, thank you for these few thousand of character-defining hours spent around or above Guadalcanal, 25 years ago...
Posted By: FsFOOT

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/21/19 06:07 AM

There are some PAW files still around and some objects adapted to EAW you can find them via the SimHQ EAW Forum.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/21/19 06:53 AM

Aye, thank you Roy smile
But we have an engine of our own and our objects are made for it. I think that by 2019 it is time for MPS' legacy engine and assets to find a cozy sunny spot and enjoy a warrior's rest smile
But we won't leave the vets behind in our game design, no worries!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/22/19 11:24 PM

Thanks for two of my all time favorites Ed!

Trust me, it was my pleasure.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/22/19 11:30 PM

Oooooooh Ed!!! Mr. Fletcher!

I had lost hope, I thought we'd never see you again around here!
Thank you for passing by and saying hello. It means a lot to us.
I might have been young back then, but it was pretty difficult not to get used to remembering your name (besides that of your omnipresent, historical distant parent of course wink ) and that of all the team considering they would show up every time in the hall of fame scoring system (yes, younglings, MPS games HAD a scoring system indexed on game difficulty and realism, and we will do that too!)

Is there any way we might keep in touch? I sure value the opinion of one of the very beings to whom we owe TF1942 and PAW. And if this project succeeds, there's no way you might escape from getting a free copy of course, especially if we carry on with a physical box edition!

Best Regards and, again, thank you for these few thousand of character-defining hours spent around or above Guadalcanal, 25 years ago...

Thanks for the kind words. I would like to keep in touch, and would love a copy of the game when it's done. A friend of mine at work (who coded the AI on Fleet Defender) checks this forum out from time to time and let me know about this thread. I love talking about Guadalcanal.

WW2 Carrier command game - a little update - 08/23/19 07:03 AM

Thank you Ed. Message received ^^
Great to know you and the others are still around, hope we will not disappoint.

We are on our way to get public next week with a proper website - but in the meantime here's a small update I have shared elsewhere already. Hope some of you will enjoy its contents. Our Lead Dev is on a break, so there is hardly much in terms of gameplay mechanics to show today, but I guess any fan of the period will still enjoy the ride.

First, here's an early experiment of our AI air combat logic. This F4F (in the colors of Butch O'Hare's F4F-3 the day he shot down five Betties in the action off Bougainville involving USS Lexington) is having fun with a few G4M bombers. Of course the ammunition expenditure is not quite right yet and it's too much of a waste, but we're working on that. Actually, our AI planes used to often collide with their targets, and it's no small task to make their behavior more believable. We're slowly getting there smile

Direct link to the video (for those who can't see the embedded video...)

The Flag Plot, which is to be your main area of gameplay (especially if you deactivate external views) is on the right track too. You can see it evolve from the design phase to the actual 3D model. We started the general texturing, and we might have an operational room to show by the end of next week (crossing fingers).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now, for the plane lovers, here is a sneak peek at our skin viewer interface. Our 2D artist is honing his skills as a plane skinner and so far so good - we might not even have to look elsewhere if the talent is already right here in house. We are working on the weathering effect that would affect the liveries of planes belonging to units at sea for a longtime, or based ashore in a non-super friendly environment (hello Henderson Field). You are the Il-2 afficionados, you tell me - but from where I stand i'd say the detail level for a wargame-level game is quite ok.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

By the way, here are some additional shots of our F4Fs used for the Butch O'Hare video. The base is still a F4F-4 with a F4F-3 skin, but we will naturally have different 3D models eventually. For all intents and purposes in regard of our experiments, it does the job. Naturally, each squadron will have its own skin, and as you might have seen elsewhere each plane will have its own decals and squadron numbers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Regarding artwork, our 2D artist also made his first try regarding in-game portraits of the men and officers you will interact with in the course of the scenarios. Here is our early take at Elliot Buckmaster, skipper of USS Yorktown for the duration of 1942. Ad you can see, it is not always easy to work on a topic like that considering the limited amount of actual photos - some officers were more shy than others...! But I think he achieved a very good result considering the very few references we had available. Ultimately around 30 historical officers and men of all rank will feature and will flesh out properly the events and the decision making the flag officer will have to deal with in the course of his command.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Finally, here are a few additional shots of our IJN warship line up. Some of these models were recently brought up to the current in-game standards, and this is more or less their finished state. Eventually the game will feature pretty much everything the IJN happened to throw at the US Navy in the course of 1942, in the great tradition of the lavish order of battle available in TF1942 or Pacific Air War. Please note that Mogami's turrets are seen here in the 3D software, obviously the final version will have the proper elevation for all guns - especially B turret.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We might go public next week with our website, I will mention it in due time. In the meantime, please enjoy these few tokens eye-candy, and hopefully see you soon on our new platform when it releases!

Cheers

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/23/19 02:51 PM

Great stuff!

First, here's an early experiment of our AI air combat logic. This F4F (in the colors of Butch O'Hare's F4F-3 the day he shot down five Betties in the action off Bougainville involving USS Lexington) is having fun with a few G4M bombers. Of course the ammunition expenditure is not quite right yet and it's too much of a waste, but we're working on that. Actually, our AI planes used to often collide with their targets, and it's no small task to make their behavior more believable. We're slowly getting there

If there is a video there, it's just showing as a blank space for me.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/23/19 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nixer
Great stuff!

First, here's an early experiment of our AI air combat logic. This F4F (in the colors of Butch O'Hare's F4F-3 the day he shot down five Betties in the action off Bougainville involving USS Lexington) is having fun with a few G4M bombers. Of course the ammunition expenditure is not quite right yet and it's too much of a waste, but we're working on that. Actually, our AI planes used to often collide with their targets, and it's no small task to make their behavior more believable. We're slowly getting there

If there is a video there, it's just showing as a blank space for me.

Try:

https://youtu.be/xb6mp9OIrlQ

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/23/19 03:04 PM

Video comes and goes, it's a bit of a pain...

Thanks Dash !

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/23/19 05:06 PM

Our 2D artist is honing his skills as a plane skinner and so far so good - we might not even have to look elsewhere if the talent is already right here in house.

I'd say you're good to go with that guy smile

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/24/19 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gatorman82

Good luck!

Ed Fletcher

Good to hear from you. I cut my teeth on 1942: PAW. I still remember futzing with memmaker to get enough memory to run the game. Good times.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/24/19 04:12 AM

Oh, hello Tom, what a nice surprise! Thank you!

Brings me back to these days we'd make you Babe offerings on the altar of the EAW forum yep
Sorry, I don't have a pic of Alyssa Milano just here to express it properly, but she's not anymore the woman you used to know anyway lawncareby20mm

By 1C I suppose you mean the project for a PTO expansion to il2 BoX, right? A project that Jason Williams himself seems to hold dear and close to his heart from what I have read - and I understand him all too well!
By every mean the level of air combat simulation and realism implied by a dedicated il2 product will be far above and beyond what we will be able to provide, especially at our current scale (that is tactical command). Even though the level of detail might allow some day after release a platform-based side dish (I wish I could fly a F4F over the TF and I am not alone in that - old 1942:Pacific Air War vibes I suppose) we will hardly compare to the level of care and depth involved in each and every plane made by the Il2 team. Of course I am happy know that Il-2 is getting to that scale itself very soon with the Air Marshall system, and I am very much looking forward to it smile

In our case, beyond the scope of the simulation there is also the simple fact that we need to make sure that performance will never be an issue. Part of our public is already very wargamey, if not grognard-minded, and they are not really known for running their own personal Cray-powered computer in their garage - something that might have set them apart from the simulation community over the decades. If most of the scenes rarely involve more than 10 planes at full detail level at any time, we still need to be able to run smoothly the most critical of them all, that is views showing a deckload of plane warming up. With 30+ planes all in the frame at the same moment, your optimization better be top notch. That would explain why our planes end up not being as detailed as they could be. We needed to find a balance between eye-candy and performance. I think we pretty much have it now.

As you can see, despite the fact that you won't get to fly these things, we still did put some emphasis on making them look nice to the eye. Got this few shots from our paintshop just yesterday, that should give to the trained eyes out there an insight about our skinning potential and the techs we are using. I am adamant about providing ASAP the tools needed to splash some paint around when the game comes out, so the editors and viewers we're using for development will be readily available shortly after release. Being an old EAW hand, I think we suffered enough like that 20 years ago, didn't we wink

Besides, being a purely solo experience for now (and as such free from the fear of seeing the system abused online) we did put together a decal system that is rather complete and user friendly. It seems right that each and every squadron in historical scenarios get the change to have their colors painted right, not to mention the pilots and their iconic mounts when they had one, of course. Truth be told, USN markings for the first half of 1942 were a complete mess of different regulations applied with more or less customization throughout the fleet, and we want to reflect that for historical flavor. It is only fair, considering the ships will have their own coat of paint too, major units in the same class showing differences in paint scheme depending on how and when they joined the Pacific Fleet (Yorktown and Hornet compared to Enterprise being rather obvious examples).

Here for instance, you can see a flight of TBDs sporting their own individual squadron markings (VT-6 hailing from USS Enterprise, circa late 1941 style).

Well well. More on all of this later. Gotta catch up with work - the real one, that puts the bread on the table wink

S! Everybody, have a nice day!

Oh By the way Tom, I nearly forgot, someone had something to tell you blush

wink

Those were the days for sure. There are still some folks around from the great CombatSim migration. Too bad Ms Milano has turned into such a controversial person. I liked her a lot more when she was just an actress. She is still pretty hot though.

I don't fly all that much anymore, even though I do keep up with the games. I have migrated more towards Wargames so this is interesting to me to say the least. This game looks pretty exciting and I am looking forward to it for sure. The Naval side of the house has always interested me, especially since my Grandfather was aboard the Lady Lex at Coral Sea. This game looks to potentially be a lot of fun.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/24/19 12:32 PM

I know this is labeled as a "Carrier game" but how will it handle surface engagements, or will it? I'm thinking of course of all the night surface engagements in what became known as Iron Bottom Sound in the fall of 1942.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/24/19 02:47 PM

Thank you Tom for your kind words. Very interesting and nice to learn about your Grandfather.
I am afraid Lady Lex might have to sink a bazillion times again in our game, but at least this time nobody will be harmed...

I know this is labeled as a "Carrier game" but how will it handle surface engagements, or will it? I'm thinking of course of all the night surface engagements in what became known as Iron Bottom Sound in the fall of 1942.

Hello Dash. There was some info in this post.

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads....would-anyone-play-that-today#Post4484985

Since then, youtube videos on the forum have gone bonkers, so here's a direct link to our penetration model

https://youtu.be/sHjHwR2F0Os

For the rest, we plan on modelling the basics, but don't expect super advanced starshell, searchlight, radar, secondaries, damage control, fire control and plotting, etc... mechanics in regard of non-CV ships. That will come later. For now we're aiming at the kind of simulation level you could see in Fighting Steel (which remains though the best that has been achieved in a 3D-based simulation or wargame until now, so...).

We will probably not release surface combat scenarios just yet, as we might limit command (flagship) options to actual carriers. But it is made so that it will be added in the future in a more surface-dedicated volume of the series. But in the meantime, well, you can perfectly order Nashville to go shell a picket boat (poor Nashville...) or detach a surface group to look for the Japanese fleet in the night before Coral Sea like Forrest Biard advised Fletcher to, you just won't ride with them. Hope this answers your question!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/24/19 02:56 PM

Looking fantastic, like someone else said, your 2d artist is all over it. Are you guys going to do a sub at reddit or just keep everything in house regards advertising?

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/24/19 03:07 PM

Our 2D artist is honing his skills as a plane skinner and so far so good - we might not even have to look elsewhere if the talent is already right here in house.

I'd say you're good to go with that guy smile

Looking fantastic, like someone else said, your 2d artist is all over it.

Thanks you two.
Ok, it's decided, we won't fire him just yet

:P

Regarding advertising, I am not quite sure that a sub at reddit in the current situation is what we need. We just don't have the sort of coverage and reputation for that just yet. Besides I am not quite sure where to make some noise - Hoggit is all about planes, the computer strategy reddit is quasi dead. The WoWs reddit seems quite alive though, we might try something there first. We are on the verge of launching our website (it is a matter of days now), by then I will have more content to show for. We will also have a Facebook page dedicated to the project.

We also might explore the possibility of a Discord. Over the months I got in touch with a few other fellow WW2 or modern-day wargame indie devs and studios that might be interested in opening some sort of collective discord so that our respective communities might mix and benefit all of us. Of course we will tell us once we get this done, if we get this done smile

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 08/24/19 07:31 PM

Thank you Tom for your kind words. Very interesting and nice to learn about your Grandfather.
I am afraid Lady Lex might have to sink a bazillion times again in our game, but at least this time nobody will be harmed...

Hello Dash. There was some info in this post.

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads....would-anyone-play-that-today#Post4484985

Since then, youtube videos on the forum have gone bonkers, so here's a direct link to our penetration model

For the rest, we plan on modelling the basics, but don't expect super advanced starshell, searchlight, radar, secondaries, damage control, fire control and plotting, etc... mechanics in regard of non-CV ships. That will come later. For now we're aiming at the kind of simulation level you could see in Fighting Steel (which remains though the best that has been achieved in a 3D-based simulation or wargame until now, so...).

We will probably not release surface combat scenarios just yet, as we might limit command (flagship) options to actual carriers. But it is made so that it will be added in the future in a more surface-dedicated volume of the series. But in the meantime, well, you can perfectly order Nashville to go shell a picket boat (poor Nashville...) or detach a surface group to look for the Japanese fleet in the night before Coral Sea like Forrest Biard advised Fletcher to, you just won't ride with them along with them. Hope this answers your question!

Thanks!

I'm a customer on day one, but I will be eagerly awaiting the Surface Engagement Expansion Pack biggrin
Posted By: Genbrien

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 09/03/19 02:16 PM

insta buy from me

I love carrier warfare (be it WW2/modern days/ future-space)

I like when the battle/realtime engagements are very realistics, but I'm not so keen on complex management.
Played a lot of Battlestation and Pacific Storm

Are you launching on Steam?
and is there kinda a release date so far (or a targeted year)

And is there a way to see your videos, except the last 2, because links are dead

Very excited for this!
Hope you'll be able to acheive what you want

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 09/04/19 07:30 AM

Great thanks Genbrien, very nice of you to say smile

Well about complex management, I do remember a podcast from Three Moves Ahead saying how in every case, somewhere in the world there will be public for any additional feature - I think they were talking about CMANO. Can't fault them, I believe they're actually right, but I have to say that giving the player the control over hangar and flight deck spotting ain't exactly the priority. So, yeah, we'll keep it simple and yet entertaining for now smile

We will probably launch of Steam if we are not offered other alternatives. Steam does allow for some extra perks, and we are really keen on providing the game with achievements to broaden its mainstream appeal. But we're far from being ready for a store page. We'll wait for a vertical slice first, otherwise it's just style over substance.

Videos will be easier to access once our website will be set-up. Unfortunately our dear SimHQ forums have issues with embedded videos as of late, not sure what is happening... But here is a list of what was shown so far

https://youtu.be/xb6mp9OIrlQ

https://youtu.be/2YdtUFkXLNA

https://youtu.be/3Z1-n1Irwc0

https://youtu.be/1JoS0JKjVi8

https://youtu.be/jOvfbNeg-24

https://youtu.be/0Ymg95e-86Y

https://youtu.be/dpWyJQqe5bs

https://youtu.be/xaWSGimbIz4

https://youtu.be/Tj9mt2GZNO0

Enjoy smile
I'll be back soon with a working website address. The contents are under review as we speak. Cheers!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 09/04/19 08:10 AM

In the meantime, here are a few candies - so that Dash can see we are really serious about providing everything we need for target practice, whether it's the air or the surface kind wink
Here they are, enjoy smile

The Lexington class model, updated to our current standards

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yorktown class in her MS21 livery (that pretty much means Big E, as she was the only one which got painted that way)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Additional views of the South Dakota model

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Additional views of the Atlanta model

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pensacola and her unique main battery configuration

[Linked Image]

Our cute little Mahan DD class

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Benson class, on her way to join the roster

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

North Carolina, in the works

[Linked Image]

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 09/04/19 02:35 PM

I'm drooling!!!!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 09/04/19 03:08 PM

Wait wait! I had forgotten Myoko, oops....!
Isn't she lovely (and SUPER LOW POLY, actually, makes her all the more attractive)

Keep on drolin', that's what keeps us goin' ! wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 09/04/19 03:26 PM

I haven't read the whole thread, but wow, looking great! Are you using the Outerra engine?

Also, when the battleships fire, will their recoil and energy release be so intense that the seas will be disturbed and the deck will roll ever so slightly(unless all of them fired at once)?

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 09/04/19 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I haven't read the whole thread, but wow, looking great! Are you using the Outerra engine?

Also, when the battleships fire, will their recoil and energy release be so intense that the seas will be disturbed and the deck will roll ever so slightly(unless all of them fired at once)?

Hello! And Thanks!

No, the engine is home-brew! Easier for us, as our dev made it himself and knows it to the last bolt. That way, whenever he has a problem, he's not out there filing a ticket to support - he kicks his own butt instead wink

The super advanced graphics and physics for gunnery might have to wait for that "surface engagement expansion pack" (c) F4UDash4
For now the firing of a gun will not have an effect on the physics of the ships. Yes, seas will be disturbed but in all honesty it's eye candy (as it is in every game out there, including World of Warships). So, no ballistics-induced roll, but in real life it is barely noticeable compared to actual sea-state induced roll (which will be present though!). On the other hand, near-misses will be simulated, and so will underwater hits. This means advanced ballistic-induced physics on the receiving end, at least smile

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 09/04/19 04:32 PM

The super advanced graphics and physics for gunnery might have to wait for that "surface engagement expansion pack" (c) F4UDash4

I promise not to charge royalties for your usage of the phrase! biggrin

For now the firing of a gun will not have an effect on the physics of the ships. Yes, seas will be disturbed but in all honesty it's eye candy (as it is in every game out there, including World of Warships). So, no ballistics-induced roll, but in real life it is barely noticeable compared to actual sea-state induced roll (which will be present though!).

Recoil effects on the firing ship are vastly overstated in most media, so no problem with this at all. I would like to see huge billows of smoke and fire at the muzzles however! wink

On the other hand, near-misses will be simulated, and so will underwater hits. This means advanced ballistic-induced physics on the receiving end, at least smile

YES! This is the important stuff!!
Posted By: FlyingToaster

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 09/05/19 09:13 AM

I have to admit that I am super interested!
Near misses and underwater hits will be a great thing.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 09/21/19 05:41 PM

Thanks gents smile

A little update. We're really close from going public and announce the game proper, but I thought that you'd enjoy a little sneak peek.

Unfortunately videos still have issues - instead I'll make screenshots of their cover and you'll just have to click on them to watch them.

We were busy with designing the sound in-game sound engine, so that we might finally leave the world of silence. That was a lot of work under the hood, naturally it is not super graphic, but if you have working ears and a good sound system, I am pretty sure that you'll appreciate the difference smile
Here's the contents, taken from our den at Grogheads. Enjoy and don't hesitate to leave a comment, it's always much appreciated - even when it hurts! ^^

We are *that* close from announcing the game and launching the website, but as Robot said you sure are entitled to a little additional update before everything goes live.
As of late we were not very loud as most of the work was done under the hood, providing the engine with all the perks one would expect from a modern game - starting with actual sound. I must say the result ain't half bad, but naturally I am a bit biased. I'll let you judge by yourselves.

Here's our test-bed of a TBD and its twin-wasp roaring, with our sound engine tech in motion.

[Linked Image]

As you can see, that's true 3D sound right there. It changes with the distance, changes with your viewpoint, and it's real, variable stuff that follows the actual regime of the plane's engine.

The TBD itself is now our reference as our future standard for planes (at least Allied planes) in terms of art and details. Its livery is a fine reproduction of a VT-2 mount from Lexington. You might have seen it last year when the late and unfortunate Paul Allen and his team found Lady Lex at the bottom of the Coral Sea. Here is a reference:

[Linked Image]

Here are some in-engine views of the work in progress from a few days ago, with work done on reflections and materials.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Our 2D artist is not only good at painting pixel planes and beautiful dioramas, he is also in charge of the portraits gallery. The family is getting bigger everyday. We will eventually have 30+ portraits, most of them depicting actual officers historically involved in carrier combat back in 1942. A cookie for anyone you'll be able to identify in there (except for the fourth chap, whose destiny is to be our kind default sailor-guy, and whose face was originally randomly generated).

[Linked Image]

Meanwhile, our 3D artist has been very busy with modifying our plane models in order to optimize them further and set a standard for future integration. Like our 2D artist, he has been working on the TBD to produce the original basic texture mapping that will be used as the reference for paintjobs.

[Linked Image]

Still, he still found some time to work on a few ships - here's a Benson and a very early WiP shot on a PT-Boat, two very common visitors you might come across between Lunga point and Florida island.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We also started the in-game integration of the Flag Plot space. As you might remember, the Flag Plot is to be the main hub for the player, from which he/she will be allowed to access all stations (2D map, maneuver board, ouija board, pilot roster, the air ops board, etc...) by clicking on it or using keyboard shortcuts. It is expected to eventually look like the original concept art, and we only just started processing the larger chunks of the scene into the game proper. Our dev is also working hard on the lighting, as it will have a real effect on the overall feeling and mood. Here are some shots, including concept art, research, light tech business & some of the very early furniture being placed around the room.

First, this is the result of the research and immense talent of our 2D guy. I can't emphasize again enough how blessed I am to have people like him and the rest of my team by my side in this adventure, for it is quite the thrill to marvel at how much creativity and work they seem to put in everything they do.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is some basic lighting work:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Of course, the in-game 3D part itself is super WiP, textures and final models are still to be done. But, hey, at least, in two years from now you might be able to say "I was there before it looked cool!"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And, last but not least, our sound engine now also includes environmental effects. You will find below, yet again, a very early attempt at making it work, with the sound of the ocean, of the ship, and flight deck announcements (we'll feature the boatswain's call, the P.A. and even the bugle) all packed in one short video. Again, nothing too big or fancy, all of these are placeholder sounds and might look like very small progress, but it is coming together, step by step. Let's hope we can go the distance, but so far... so good!

In the meantime, enjoy the view and the mood, and see you soon! :coolsmiley:

[Linked Image]

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 09/21/19 06:27 PM

Great work!

I know the gist of this post was sound... but the ocean in the second video, especially the last 10 seconds.... man that is incredible!
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 09/21/19 08:59 PM

Good work !

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 09/22/19 05:04 AM

Thank you Gents. smile

It seems I will have to keep working hard in order to get Dash interested all the way until the moment he will be allowed to actually fire a naval gun in anger - even when you show the man a packed, roaring flight deck, he still only sees the water :P

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 09/22/19 11:51 AM

looks really great!

Think I'll re-install IL21946 in the meantime haha

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 09/23/19 12:28 AM

The obvious detailed and loving work the team is putting in really shines through, you've got a great thing going on Admiral smile

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 09/24/19 04:42 PM

Thank you, you two! Let's hope that we won't let you down...! smile

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/10/19 01:35 AM

Hello there ladies and gentlemen!

Would some of you be kind enough to help us unfortunate devs have a look at our website before we go live Friday with a formal announcement (and topic ;))?
I came to realize that Wordpress formating does translate very differently from a browser to another, and the more users the better experience feedback I'll get before we set sails, especially if you're not checking the internet from your desktop rig.

https://drydockdreams.games/

Thank you in advance to any player with a little time on his/her hands!

For now the only major bug is a small color-based CSS inadequacy across all platforms in the blog section (comment and category footer area) that we expect to solve by tomorrow. But any other observation will be welcome. Then we'll move forward, at last!

Great thanks wink

Btw - here's the latest video, now that embedding works again smile
Nothing really new for anyone who has been following the project, but it's good to be able to pack all this in one single file - and gratifying too!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/10/19 02:01 AM

Looking great Admiral, both on my Swedish PC and my iPhone.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/10/19 02:01 AM

Website looks fine to me, Chrome Version 77.0.3865.90

For some reason the video imagery doesn't look quite as sharp as others you've posted previous. Still very good but just a little different. Or it could be me.

One nit to pick: When ships guns fire I'd love to see the smoke produced to linger a bit longer rather than dissipating in just a couple of seconds. Same for smoke from funnel.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/10/19 02:15 AM

Thank you, the both of you!

@F4U max quality is 1080p, that might explain why some video shorts are a bit less crisp as they were in their standalone form. Had to fit the lower common denominator, as they were not all recorded with the same settings over the months.

FX are super WiP of course. The compilation and its content are there mainly so that we might have some materials to apply for subsidies. We'll have actual teaser and trailers for "public consumption" in due time - with lingering smoke and all, fear not wink
Posted By: Coot

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/10/19 02:24 AM

This project is looking great. I love the artwork too. Is there any chance of allowing the player to jump into the cockpit of a flight and fly it like a combat flight sim even if simplistic? Either way this looks excellent. Love the attention to details and immersion.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/10/19 08:11 AM

Thank you Coot!

Well, #%&*$# my previous answer disappeared in the ether, let me write another one.
Yes, allowing for more flexibility in future expansions is one of the reasons why we're going for a strong full-fledged simulation of the whole environment instead of doing it the easy, simpler way. We want to make sure that, in the future, we might develop the gameplay horizontally (to new navies, new theaters, new eras) as well as vertically - upwards, to the operational or the strategic scale, but also downwards, to the platform level (that is the single-ship, single-plane scale). In that regard, an air combat module is high on the priority list, not the least because of 1942:the Pacific Air War's legacy (and the obvious and sweet history we claim to have with the MPS PTO naval series).

Still, as you might know already, Dash has clearly stated a few times in the past that he might take his neighbor's kitten hostage until we eventually achieve an acceptable level of realism and simulation of surface combat. So, unless you find a way to send in a SWAT team through his kitchen's window or free them cute kitties yourself, we might have to give in to his cruel demands and make sure that our ships shoot straight and swing swell first. Then we'll worry about the air war further wink

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/10/19 09:28 AM

Looks like it's all coming together nicely!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/10/19 10:25 AM

Still, as you might know already, Dash has clearly stated a few times in the past that he might take his neighbor's kitten hostage until we eventually achieve an acceptable level of realism and simulation of surface combat. So, unless you find a way to send in a SWAT team through his kitchen's window or free them cute kitties yourself, we might have to give in to his cruel demands and make sure that our ships shoot straight and swing swell first. Then we'll worry about the air war further wink

[Linked Image]

But seriously, the need for another WWII flight simulator is not as great as the need for a WWII surface ship simulator. IMO

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/12/19 08:07 PM

It all sounds great and its looking pretty darn amazing. Thanks for the info. I could barely keep from going cross eyed trying to write this post with Dash's animated Gif cycling itself just above lol.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/14/19 10:35 AM

Looks great on Firefox!

edit - and android on a samsung s8 and tablet.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/14/19 07:57 PM

Looks good in both Chrome and Edge.
Posted By: Mad Max

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/15/19 05:40 AM

Wow just wow. You have a sure sale here.
Posted By: Timothy

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/18/19 05:58 AM

iOS has Carrier Air Battles. I found it to be good.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/18/19 10:00 AM

Thanks guys!

Currently writing a blog post about our... "launch". Things have been wild! Thousands of views, hundreds of comments, etc...
Only problem: operating from China right now, there was a strengthening of access restrictions and although I can see all this activity pile up from my mailbox, I have no way of replying these fellows...

Ah, good old SimHQ is still accessible - but the rest, not so much!

@Timothy
Maybe you mean Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal (which is a very fine game by another Frenchman partly based on CARRIER)? Or do you mean the 3D action thing?

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/24/19 01:58 AM

Nice to see The History Guy doing that quick blurb on YT as well! Full steam ahead smile
Posted By: Asheshouse

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/25/19 07:48 AM

This is looking great. Superb ship models. Looking forward to seeing this progress. Be interesting to see how ship AI developes. I am thinking of things like ships moving in fleet formation. Carriers turning upwind to launch/receive aircraft. Ships taking avoiding action, to avoid collision, torpedoes etc. Weaving and turning to make for a more difficult target for dive bombers. All these little tactical details will make this really great.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/25/19 10:35 AM

This sim is most definitely looking very good and you can count me in for a pre-order when the time comes!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/27/19 02:06 PM

Hello everybody!
A small update to say that we made a small devblog update. You gents will probably not find anything really new in there, as most of it is about a few important facts regarding what the game is, and what it isn't. But fear not, we inserted a few screens so that people wouldn't fall asleep to easily once they get hit by my wall of text ^^

This way --> https://drydockdreams.games/2019/10/26/making-waves/

Hope you like them clouds smile

S!
Posted By: Master

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/27/19 03:47 PM

Very interested in the game. Hope it gets some form of coop but it will be what it is I guess. One of the few games Im looking forward to.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/28/19 03:20 AM

@Timothy
Maybe you mean Carrier Battles for Guadalcanal (which is a very fine game by another Frenchman partly based on CARRIER)? Or do you mean the 3D action thing?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/carrier-battles-4-guadalcanal/id961994680

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/28/19 07:18 AM

Aye, yes that one.
PC version is on the way (with newer, 3D graphics)
http://www.carrier-battles.com

Go have a look. I am a proud kickstarter backer myself wink

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/03/19 04:57 AM

It's been a while - and although we've been updating on social platforms, I could understand well enough that somebody would be keen on getting a twitter or a facebook account just for us. So here's a sneak peek at what we've been doing these last few days wink
I guess I don't really need to narrate the action - technically, it shows our on-going work on ship evasion tactics, dive-bombing doctrine and AI, shipborne AA, ship physics (you can see the flight deck roll in a big turn) and new FX. Some new video footage will be available in a few weeks from now. Unfortunately the SimHQ website isn't too fond of linking directly to images on twitter, so I invite you to head over to our Grogheads thread just this time, if you want to know what follows next wink

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=23950.30

[Linked Image]

Cheers!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/03/19 11:52 AM

What a cracking picture!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/03/19 05:46 PM

Latest developments look very good indeed. Got this on my Wish List already.
Posted By: Master

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/03/19 06:08 PM

Have you guys run into any issues licensing the grumman pacific theater planes? Several of the flight simulation companies refused to do pacific theater stuff because of the issues with the planes being litigation magnets. As for the pics. Just make a discord channel for your game, upload them to discord and hotlink straight from discord.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/04/19 02:56 PM

Need to avoid using company names, like Grumman, without permission. Same company also built the Yorktown Carriers, CV-5, CV-6 and CV-8. That is, a shipyard they subsequently took over built them.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/04/19 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Asheshouse
Need to avoid using company names, like Grumman, without permission. Same company also built the Yorktown Carriers, CV-5, CV-6 and CV-8. That is, a shipyard they subsequently took over built them.

That's my understanding as well. So as long as you refer to the planes as just "F6F Hellcat" or "F4F Wildcat" in your sim then you are ok.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/09/19 10:30 PM

Honestly, not a fan of discussing this matter. No comment from us in that regard smile

For the rest, well, TBD fans might want to have a look at this porn event
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=23950.msg658342#msg658342

^^

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/09/19 11:52 PM

Very nice!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/11/19 07:09 PM

Thank you for your kind support and especially for your one-man propaganda army effort here and elsewhere, Trooper - much appreciated wink

Cheers!
Posted By: Scott Elson

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/11/19 07:28 PM

That's my understanding as well. So as long as you refer to the planes as just "F6F Hellcat" or "F4F Wildcat" in your sim then you are ok.

You might even have issues with the nicknames. I think that's why when we did the Jane's F-15 and F/A-18 we just stuck with just the designation. It's been <cough> years ago but I think the idea was if you could argue tax payer money was used for it then it was OK but the nicknames weren't "official" and so were more the property of the company. You might be able to argue precedence since other games have used the names before but after that some companies caved in and paid so that weakens things. Then again I'm definitely not a lawyer and very out of touch of such subjects than I used to be when actively developing for the genre. I'd say the games did a lot more for them in the terms of recognition, positive branding, etc. than whatever coins they were able to eke out harassing the developers but of course I'm biased.

Elf

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/11/19 08:08 PM

Wow, hello there Scott!
Honoured to know you're around here too! Had great fun (and some sort of indescribable sadness too) at reading your MPS and Jane's stories back in the day. Thank you for everything you did that brought people like me to where they're at now - and to what they aspire to make. S!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/12/19 03:37 AM

Hi! wave

Actually I was the one that pointed this thread out to Ed. I still try to keep an eye on what's going on at SimHQ but I'm usually pretty quiet. I'm glad you've enjoyed what we created and my ramblings. You'll find most developers started off as gamers first and pretty much stay that way though it may affect what you play for fun and how you approach playing games. I've enjoyed seeing how your creation has been developing and hope you can achieve all you want to do. It's quite the rush when you realize you've made something that is allowing others to have fun like the games you used to play. Sort of "paying it forward". May there be many wonderful stories people share about their adventures in your world.

Elf

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/18/19 07:30 PM

Aye!
Really a great thing to know that people like you are still around. I have been wandering on the internet looking for you vets - there's a facebook group made of former MPS employees where I found faces and stories I thought were lost in time for good. My dev wondered what you people are doing now - wherever you are, whatever you do, we sincerely hope that you're doing good. Just look at the quake the mere resurrection of the name Microprose as a brand provoked... People remember you, and we thank you again for your work.

Anyway. Here's a small sneak peek at our future dev update reel for late November. It shows are latest experiments at getting SBDs and TBDs flying together in complex formations over diversified terrain. Look at them coming out of their mountain pass with their bombs, looking for a fight! Progress is good so far, fingers crossed.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/21/19 08:45 PM

I think I know of the FB group you're talking about. If so you'll see some posts by me though most of mine are just pointing out related links.

Nice teaser. I like the organic feel as guys need to correct a bit to get into place. My guys would take their formation point and move it ahead a bit to act as an aim point. The closer the aim point was moved to their actual formation point the more drastic their heading and pitch corrections would be. I could use the Lead's forward vector, which was already computed and normalized, for generating the offset so it was a fairly cheap which was important back then. I can't remember if I used a fixed distance or if I based it off of their speed. When you post the November dev update I'll make sure Ed sees it.

Elf

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/27/19 07:43 PM

Thank you for your support and your friendship Scott, it means much wink

We're getting closer. Here's another sneak peek at the update contents. Now time to move on with the actual thing before the end of next week (crossing fingers, life IRL isn't kind everyday...!)

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/29/19 05:31 AM

Looking good!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/29/19 11:36 AM

Looking great. I am definitely a pre-ordering customer!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/29/19 11:57 AM

Yes, very nice work... it's going to be interesting to see the finished product! smile

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/29/19 03:27 PM

Thank you all boys!

Btw, Yorktown says hi!

[Linked Image]

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 11/29/19 10:51 PM

Gorgeous.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 12/07/19 09:32 AM

Thank you Ajay!

Let's not forget on what our hobby is based on. As you know, today is a special day in PTO history. Pray for Peace for the generations to come, & leave the woes of War to the realm of video games...

Everybody, have a peaceful, kind and spiritual Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.
Take care and stay safe! And our thanks to all the Vets, Servicemen & Servicewomen who are reading us! o7

[Linked Image]

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 12/24/19 05:04 PM

Everybody,

[Linked Image]

Merry Christmas & Best Wishes to you and all your family and friends smile

Cheers

The DDG Team

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 12/28/19 02:36 PM

A little variation of the GIF we made earlier, now with deck reflections & sound implemented. A nice sunset with a nice girl... smile

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 12/28/19 02:40 PM

Nice target. wink

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 12/31/19 05:16 PM

And Happy New Year to you all, Ladies & Gentlemen of good taste wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nimits

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 01/05/20 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Max
Wow just wow. You have a sure sale here.

Ditto me.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 01/18/20 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Scott Elson

You might even have issues with the nicknames. I think that's why when we did the Jane's F-15 and F/A-18 we just stuck with just the designation.

Talking to someone a few months ago in a business making buildable models of military aircraft and vehicles, their experience (unofficially) was that any name/designation or likeness was considered company property by the aerospace firms, but, as long as you reached out to them ahead of time, the companies were willing to license stuff for a very nominal fee (at least, this seems to be true of Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman . . . not sure about Boeing).

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 01/28/20 03:24 PM

Hello there everyone!
Here's a small update for January, hopefully you'll find some interesting nuggets in there smile
Some ships, some tech, some news... Feel welcome to click on this link and check for yourself!

https://drydockdreams.games/2020/01/28/wallabies-in-the-year-of-the-rat/

Cheers!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Patrocles

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 02/08/20 01:42 PM

This game looks great! I only heard of this game a month ago and I did not know the developers were active here.

The game is strategic so I assume the timescale is slow enough to not be a clickfest (I have very low twitch nerve response! haha). Other gamers have said the game looks like IL-2. Is this "in-house game engine Plankton" based on IL-2 code?

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 02/09/20 10:52 AM

Thank you, that's kind smile
No, it won't be a clickfest. You'd be hard pressed to turn this into a click fest anyway, it's not a RTS in the meaning of "click friendly unit, click action, click attack". Your admiral doesn't jump into a cockpit or behind a Bofors mount, that's not his job.
At the normal level of difficulty, our pause will be clickable (you can still use the menus, go around, etc...). If you play at the highest level of difficulty, then you will have to do with a static pause (that is, if you pause you're frozen) in order to add some spice. It doesn't mean you're gonna have to click everywhere around, but if you want to properly setup a raid, this takes time ^^

Regarding the engine - no, there's no family tie at all with the Il-2 engine. The original iteration of the engine can be seen in another product, that is BOMB from our Lead Dev, that came out a few years ago. I guess checking the trailer will explain why it made sense to develop it into what it has become today smile

We made a small update on our topic at Grogheads - if it's ok with you I'll just copy it here so that you don't have to head over there to check - enjoy smile

First of all, our new weather model, which allows for localized rain squalls, the likes of which saved Zuikaku from a pounding at Coral Sea, or Enterprise from extermination at Santa Cruz. You will be allowed to use them too, but it works both ways...

Here, you can see them in action on the larger map. Blue areas are the ones where a set of conditions make rain happen - of course it changes dynamically, and the weather can be radically different 100 miles away. It's your job to make sure that the weather Gods will favor you more than they harm you...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And here's a view of how it looks like from under it:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cloud cover will have an actual role in gameplay - as you can see here, it can very efficiently hide ships away from the sky. Your planes might very well miss the enemy - but in absence of a working radar, if communications are down or not an option, and if the Z/B system is non-operational for a reason or another, then your planes could very well miss you too...! They might have to pray for a little opening at the right spot in the cloud cover, just like here:

[Linked Image]

Of course, the same rules apply whenever you'll be trying to get something done at night. Night ops are not impossible, nor forbidden, but try your luck at your own risk. Taking off in the darkness is already a difficult, yet necessary exercise when a dawn strike requires it - but bombing by moonlight in on a whole different level! Yet, it did happen...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Flightsimmers will see all of this as business like usual - but I hope that these few visual improvements won't go unnoticed by the Wargaming crowd :coolsmiley:
Finally, a sneak peek at something that comes a bit closer to actual wargamesque gameplay, for a change.

[Linked Image]

This one prototype shows how the game dimensions interact with each other. It is our early experiment at an interactive Command Post/Map/3D world integration. It is certainly no Radio Commander just yet of course, but it is a first step! It is very Work in Progress, so please be nice in the comments :hide:

At any rate, as you can see, the transition is smooth. Switching from a mode to another one doesn't seem to impact performance in any way. As these instances already exist in-game permanently, they don't need to be generated along the way, making the whole process feel rather natural and self-explanatory (well, that's the feeling I have of course, but I am a bit biased - don't hesitate to tell me if I am wrong!).

Of course, static 2D & full 3D visualization modes will be available too - you will just have to click the relevant button on the toolbar to activate them (more on that later...).

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 02/11/20 09:07 PM

Looking great!

Cant wait to see more gameplay footage

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 02/14/20 02:50 PM

Thank you Genbrien smile

We just had a small chat with Tim Stone, and he had me spill quite a few beans smile
If you're interested in the game mechanics, now's your time!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/02/14/the-flare-path-talks-task-force-admiral/

[Linked Image]

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 02/28/20 04:35 PM

Hi guys!
If there are still people interested around here, just so you know, we posted our latest February devblog.

There you go:
https://drydockdreams.games/2020/02/28/dancing-under-the-stars/

And here's a little appetizer of what you'll find there popcorn

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 02/28/20 06:16 PM

It may not be a pacific flight sim game mate... but this should scratch the itch for some pacific action for many.
Looking very good!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 03/04/20 04:34 PM

Thank you Trooper ^^

Today another small intermission with a history featurette on the TBD and its fish. Enjoy smile

Posted By: gx007

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 03/05/20 11:59 PM

Hello Admiral,

Will you or your any member of your team be presenting or have a display booth at FS Expo 2020 Las Vegas? I'd love to see it!

https://www.flightsimexpo.com/index.html

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 03/06/20 11:54 AM

Hello bro!
Nah, not just yet ^^ we're far from something playable at any rate.
Still, we are very advanced in our discussions with a publisher, and we might actually show up in some large scale events in the future. We're just not there yet though smile

Cheers!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 03/06/20 07:21 PM

Thanks for the replies and information. I will definitely buy a copy of the game. cheers!
Posted By: dutch

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 03/08/20 09:38 AM

Hello bro!
Nah, not just yet ^^ we're far from something playable at any rate.
Still, we are very advanced in our discussions with a publisher, and we might actually show up in some large scale events in the future. We're just not there yet though smile

Cheers!

Sorry if already been written down, but any VR capabilities for this game?

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 03/08/20 01:33 PM

It.s not a flight sim, why would it need VR?

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 03/09/20 03:38 AM

Well, the engine sure supports it, but the gameplay less so. Like Trooper says, it's also a matter of some added value. I can get the things you could get from VR if we were to recreate a complete ship and allow free roam like it was done for VR Yamato. But if you are staying in the flagplot and only occasionally going outside check on the flight deck, you are sacrificing game readability for little advantage. A track IR wouldn't add anything either that a mouse cannot handle. I'd say for now it is not a path we are exploring.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 03/09/20 10:51 AM

I would be very interested in seeing some current stats on what percentage of the total PC gaming community consists of VR users. My gut feeling tells me it's pretty low (under 10%).

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 03/09/20 01:28 PM

Oh well, Steam has the answer for you! Click on the "VR headset" data tab
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

It is, indeed, "under 10%" as you'd put it mildly ^^

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 03/09/20 01:54 PM

When we can't even demo VR in a store, there's no wonder the adoption rate is so low. I'm not about to to buy something I can't try, first. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack, just responding to the VR thing. smile

Keep up the great work, guys. I love the cloud animation.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 03/09/20 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
When we can't even demo VR in a store, there's no wonder the adoption rate is so low. I'm not about to to buy something I can't try, first. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack, just responding to the VR thing. smile

I have no interest in any flight sim that doesn't support VR.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 03/10/20 10:27 AM

I have no interest in playing any flight sim with VR...

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 03/10/20 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Trooper117
I have no interest in playing any flight sim with VR...

Good for you.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 04/03/20 03:33 AM

Hello there everybody smile
No need to become bitter with each other, that world is small enough - and so is the offering (at least a bit less since this morning since a certain announcement - you people are getting spoiled ^^)
At any rate, here's our own development blog for March 2020. Hope you'll enjoy the contents

Cheers and take good care wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 04/07/20 12:34 PM

wow it looks amazing! gj!

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 04/07/20 06:45 PM

Thanks Genbrien wink

Now there's that one ship, you might have heard of her.😇
She went down exactly 75 years & a few hours ago.

Even though people knew her as a ferocious monster or a very expensive floating resort, one can say that although it failed to deliver the Imperial Japanese Navy with a decisive weapon, High Command still nailed the marketing - after all, she delivered us with a very acceptable anime series & fanboys are still drooling over her 18 inchers decades afterwards.😅

Ladies & gentlemen, I introduce you to Lady Yamato, recreated for our project Task Force Admiral in her 1945 garment (but the proper 1942 outfit for our timeline - and her sister Musashi's own configuration - will be available soon too)!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 04/07/20 06:51 PM

Eagerly await this. Meanwhile I set up some BB vs BB battles in Silent Hunter 4 last night just to spectate.
Posted By: Sokol1

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 04/07/20 08:13 PM

Good for you, this not a "flight sim" game, is a RTS game. wink
Posted By: Vaderini

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 04/07/20 08:47 PM

What's that "bin" in the stern of the Yamato(?) for?

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 04/07/20 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sokol1

My comment on VR was in reply to Blastmans slamming VR.

And VR in RTS can be fun too but for an RTS it's certainly not a deal breaker if it's not supported.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 04/08/20 01:52 AM

The "central" bin is an elevator leading to an integrated hangar for its seaplane complement (less of an after-thought than the US equivalent, at least it protects her - large - squadron from the fire of her own guns). The "side" bins are for her motorboats complement smile

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 04/08/20 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sokol1

My comment on VR was in reply to Blastmans slamming VR.

And VR in RTS can be fun too but for an RTS it's certainly not a deal breaker if it's not supported.

Aye guys, please be nice!
VR would be cool in our setting indeed if it allows for free roaming between the command compartment & the outside passages. It is also an excellent tool for camera handling, as long as it is properly made.
Naturally though it's not a priority, but once we'll have a good game in our hands I'll be happy to explore this direction too as an option for VR users. Eugen games - Ruse first and foremost - were thought along the same lines years ago, trying to put you in the shoes of a commander. I'd like to reiterate the experience with the sort of tech we have now - but obviously we're not there yet and as pointed out it's not our first thing in our agenda.
Posted By: kilosierra

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 04/09/20 01:41 PM

Looks very promising!

I loved TF 1942 and the SSI games back then. And Jutland from SES, but unfortunatly the servers seem to be shut down, doesn`t work anymore.

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 04/11/20 06:14 PM

Thanks bro
It's always a pleasure anda an honor both to be compared to giants of back in the days. We'll try to do right by them - and right by your best memories smile

We're a tad busy lately updating the engine as we have a few screens and videos to make for a big announcement later this month. We took the opportunity to make some adjustments to shadows and lighting. It resulted in some screens not unlike what you see in the usual Hollywood VFX behind the scenes - well, without the bag of money that is, but still ^^

Enjoy this ballad with Zeroes from the Akagi air group...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

... And a romantic sunset hand in hand with Carrier Division 1!

[Linked Image]

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 04/18/20 05:12 PM

A little bit more action, ladies & gentlemen? wink

(might take some time to load though, give it a small moment!)

[Linked Image]

Of course, there's the occasional glitch here and there, but well, I just needed a few seconds of footage. The teaser is going to rock!
Posted By: FsFOOT

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 04/18/20 05:24 PM

Thats B*ad-ass..!

What more needs be said?

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 04/18/20 06:59 PM

Now you don't see that every day... looks great!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 04/19/20 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by FsFOOT
Thats B*ad-ass..!

What more needs be said?

that's going to be legendary

Will there be some kind of replay mode, or something that we can enjoy the glory of the battle without worrying about it?

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 04/19/20 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Genbrien
Originally Posted by FsFOOT
Thats B*ad-ass..!

What more needs be said?

that's going to be legendary

Will there be some kind of replay mode, or something that we can enjoy the glory of the battle without worrying about it?

Yes! Needs a replay mode. And how about a built in "TacView" style replay with excruciating detail? biggrin

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 04/23/20 12:46 PM

Thank you boys for all the kindness! Happy to see that the sim community finds something interesting in there despite our wargaming approach wink

Yes there will be - an in-house replay system is planned for this exact reason. Beyond the fact that nobody can be everywhere all the time, we also have to cover those who will play at the most realistic level available, that is without external views. These grognards might want to make a nice video AAR of their performance, and we will obviously and gladly oblige. We hope that the replay function will also be able to seamlessly forward and rewind at any time, allowing to really never miss a thing. We'll see in due time, but I'd call that a core feature overall.

Regarding our advancement, as we head into a very important week for us, I thought proper to give people an idea of where we're at. We have over 50% of the whole 3D ship roster done, and there's still all the painting to do, but things are looking good, if I dare say!

Cheers smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 04/23/20 01:05 PM

Impressive fleet!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 04/23/20 01:18 PM

I can't remember if this question has been asked already but I'm assuming that the IJN will be playable and not just AI controlled?
Posted By: archermav

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/05/20 01:28 PM

Come on Admiral, you gonna tell #em or shall I biggrin

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/05/20 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by archermav
Come on Admiral, you gonna tell #em or shall I biggrin

You talking about the future publisher of the game? I just got an e-mail about that.

Interesting, very interesting.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/05/20 03:09 PM

Hehe, seems like the jig is up indeed wink

Ok boys, if you're still interested in what we do, please have a look at this and tell us if it's up to your standards:

[Linked Image]

If you like what you see, well, there's one Steam store page waiting for you, and a wishlist button who will enjoy the company of your click... wink

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1281220

Cheers and thank you all for your support all over the last few months. It kept us going, and it was worth it smile

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/05/20 03:17 PM

I might have to dust off my old reviewer's hat with this game.

Microprose was among the best of the best back before the turn of the millennium. Between them, EA and SSI I think I blew half my kid's college fund before he was 8. Just kidding, he graduated last year with a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. Now if I could get him off that Xbox and into some real games.

Glad to see an old name resurrected. I don't think any of the old guard are around anymore, at least not in a form that we would recognize.

They will never be the powerhouse they once were but I am glad that the name is being used for the titles they have listed, and for more hopefully down the line.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/05/20 03:28 PM

Ok, I just added this to my Steam wish-list and I'm following it. It's disappointing that you can't play as the IJN but maybe a future DLC can add that feature?

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/05/20 06:29 PM

Added and following it also.

That would be great.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/05/20 08:14 PM

annnnnnd added to wishlist

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/05/20 08:33 PM

Added/Following!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/06/20 01:48 AM

do you plan on showing gameplay soon?

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/10/20 06:06 AM

Added this and Sea Power to my wish list. If executed well, these will be the strategy games I dreamed off as a kid.

If only they would come with a 200 page manual . . .

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/10/20 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Nimits
Added this and Sea Power to my wish list. If executed well, these will be the strategy games I dreamed off as a kid.

If only they would come with a 200 page manual . . .

Hopefully a 200 page PDF anyway wink

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/10/20 02:30 PM

Hello there everybody!

Lot of messages to reply to - and so little time. With the announcement, the venues had multiplied and it's hard to keep watch of all of them. I'll try my best to provide some fan service in here at least ^^

Microprose was among the best of the best back before the turn of the millennium. Between them, EA and SSI I think I blew half my kid's college fund before he was 8. Just kidding, he graduated last year with a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. Now if I could get him off that Xbox and into some real games.

Glad to see an old name resurrected. I don't think any of the old guard are around anymore, at least not in a form that we would recognize.

They will never be the powerhouse they once were but I am glad that the name is being used for the titles they have listed, and for more hopefully down the line.

You're most welcome to dust that hat off, Tom!
No worries, unlike unfortunate Alyssa, our American pre-war carriers will remain glorious forever wink

I will answer everybody else tomorrow - in the meantime, Ladies & Gents, take good care and stay safe smile

Cheers!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/12/20 04:12 PM

Hello there everybody!

Lot of messages to reply to - and so little time. With the announcement, the venues had multiplied and it's hard to keep watch of all of them. I'll try my best to provide some fan service in here at least ^^

You're most welcome to dust that hat off, Tom!
No worries, unlike unfortunate Alyssa, our American pre-war carriers will remain glorious forever wink

I will answer everybody else tomorrow - in the meantime, Ladies & Gents, take good care and stay safe smile

Cheers!

Yeah, Alyssa has definitely lost her luster. But then again, I'm not exactly the young Army Captain I was 20ish years ago. Just like dreadnoughts; over the years we packed on a few pounds and added some width to our beam.
Posted By: VMIalpha454

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/15/20 12:15 AM

Man I don't know how this game slipped under my radar all this time. I just read through all 18 pages of this thread and I'm in awe. I've been dreaming of a game like this for a long, long time. Thanks, Admiral (and team) for bringing it to life. Day one purchase for me, no question.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/18/20 03:11 AM

So y'all are releasing this under the Microprose label?

I wish you the best. smile

We need another Sim era of greatness.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/18/20 03:33 AM

I have no doubt this title will sell very well with the niche military simulation crowd. How well it will do with the mainstream market is anyone’s guess.
Posted By: ArgonV

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/18/20 06:34 PM

This is really good stuff! Just played catch-up myself. smile

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/21/20 07:22 PM

A new video with more in depth discussion of the gameplay and features is here.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/22/20 05:13 PM

Excellent! nice to see some updates on the game.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/01/20 03:37 AM

Thanks Patrocles!
If you like seeing some updates, you'll like seeing this then wink

[Linked Image]

The last update was kind of a Johnny-come-lately indeed and took its sweet time, but at least Johnny found some goodies on the way here :P

https://drydockdreams.games/2020/05/31/a-new-dawn

Enjoy the ride, Ladies & Gents!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/01/20 11:39 AM

It's not often I get excited about an upcoming game and I'm usually cautious about my purchasing decisions but this has 'day 1' purchase written all over it.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/03/20 02:51 PM

Looking good. like Chucky above this will be a day 1 purchase even if it is EA.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/12/20 07:11 AM

Having some gunnery exercice business between our pixel pilots, at the expense of an unfortunate Zero. Our basic dogfight AI, ballistics & damage experiments are taking place right before our eyes. Ammo expenditure is a bit high, firing distance is a bit far, but for now considering it's pretty much a first try, so far so good!
[Linked Image]

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/13/20 03:33 PM

Aaaand... It's payback time!

[Linked Image]

With a little luck, we might have a Thach Weave-like maneuver to show by next week smile

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/27/20 03:38 PM

Aaaand - if some of you out there are still alive - here's a little art take at plane creation & skinning in our development smile
Always loved the IJN Dark Green camo on the Val.

Cheers!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/27/20 09:20 PM

Are you sure you're not making a combat flight simulation? wink

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/28/20 02:28 AM

I know . . . add some cockpits, and this is the next Pacific Air War.
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/28/20 02:41 AM

When can I buy this?

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/29/20 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
When can I buy this?

Follow the game on Steam. You will get regular updates.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 07/05/20 02:15 AM

Many have probably seen this, I hadn't and thought it was well done and informative.

Posted By: Chucky

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 08/13/20 04:33 PM

For those of you who don't live on Youtube,Drydock just posted this up.

Not exactly Martlets but should keep Blade_Meister happy. Maybe. biggrin

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 08/14/20 04:27 AM

My only complaints are

(1) It is not also a flight sim.

(2) It is not available yet.

Please, take my money!!!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 08/14/20 07:59 AM

+1 on Nimits 2nd. complain above. smile2

Don´t want to seem avaricious and could live without the 1st..

Red

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 08/14/20 04:34 PM

Hello there boys!

Long time no see - sorry about that. We were still posting smallish updates on our social network accounts, but I'd rather keep the spamming to a minimum in dedicated threads, so here are some news - and some reading contents if you're feeling bored on a hot Summer Friday afternoon!

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1281220/view/4397155783160563685

[Linked Image]

Enjoy the read - and stay safe, always smile

Cheers!
Posted By: VMIalpha454

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 08/15/20 11:37 PM

Admiral, this game looks incredible. I don't think I have ever seen such attention to detail when it comes to the ships in a game. I can't wait to have this game on my hard drive. Keep up the good work, and keep up the updates!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 08/17/20 11:09 AM

Concur with VMlalpha. I'll be a day one customer!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 08/21/20 05:21 PM

looking good! thanks for the update.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 08/23/20 03:51 AM

I am definitely getting this. I also want the Naval Warfare with Missiles one too.
Posted By: Pooch

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 08/23/20 01:05 PM

This might have been explained already, and I might have missed it. I'm curious about the mechanics of the game. How much control does the player have over his forces? Those dogfights are terrific to watch, but obviously we have no control. Do we simply tell the Wildcats where to go? What target we want them to attack? So we'd give them an order such as, "Ignore the Zero's and attack the torpedo bombers." Something like that? Or say we have six of them. We highlight three and order, "Attack Zero's," then highlight the other three. "Attack dive bombers."
Same with our fleet. We send our ships into a section of ocean and order, "Patrol here." I realize that, as in the real world, once the fight starts it's out of our hands. As the old saying goes, "The first casualty of any battle, is the plan."

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 09/25/20 01:04 AM

Hello there Pooch!

Sorry, missed that one!
Well, some of the contents in our new update might answer your question. You will have the possibility to assign doctrine to the planes before they take off - this includes possibly ignoring a category of targets for instance - but some other parts of the doctrine are also pre-set in the scenario. Even when ordered not to, Japanese fighter planes were notoriously undisciplined when it comes to target selection, which had great consequences for the Hiryu dive bomber strike at Midway for instance. You would expect pilots to behave in a believable way. In a certain way, what you see in the Thach Weave video is the sort of result we are aiming for in other cases too.

Orders you can give are specific enough to be the sort of things you'd be doing as a flag officer, but it isn't micro management heavy either. These guys aren't robots, and never did act like it. You don't get to give orders on the fly though, and for any ship or plane out there, giving new orders (for instance assigning a new target or updating the position of the enemy) will incur radio traffic that will carry a risk of counter detection.

Anyway!

Our latest dev update containing the progress of the last few months is online. Feel free to come and have a look. There's a lot to digest in there, so take your time, there's no hurry 8)
This way for those who might feel bored on a late week shift :hug:
https://drydockdreams.games/2020/09/24/summer-bonanza/

Cheers everyone, and take care!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 09/25/20 02:01 AM

Great stuff.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 09/26/20 12:15 AM

Good show your Admiral_ness.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 09/28/20 11:48 AM

Looking great indeed. This is a 100% sure purchase for me.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 09/29/20 05:43 AM

I am also looking forwards to Naval Combat in the Missile Age and ICBM too.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 09/29/20 01:49 PM

Thanks guys!
Considering it's always better to show as much as possible, I'll leave you with a couple more screens from the update for those who might still be hesitating to click wink

https://drydockdreams.games/2020/09/24/summer-bonanza/

And of course feel welcome to comment here.
Cheers!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 09/29/20 02:04 PM

The Hornet full of B-25's! biggrin

Who want's to go first! nope

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 10/08/20 09:24 PM

Looking good! Patiently waiting for Vol. 1
Posted By: Chef

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 10/09/20 01:25 AM

Considering it's always better to show as much as possible,

So where is the U.S.S. Sea Tiger and 2nd Lt. Nurse Crandall? Don't skim man. I want the witch doctor too.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 10/11/20 03:09 PM

Nurse Crandall says that you'd have to get hurt first, before she ever gets the chance to hurt your feelings, Chef!
But she also said that in the meantime that these few screenshots could still somewhat help with your libido, who knows ^^

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 10/11/20 04:11 PM

I've never stated this in earnest about any PC product before, but here goes:

TAKE MY MONEY!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 10/11/20 06:27 PM

Just imagine if this 'was' a flight sim...

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 10/24/20 04:00 PM

Hi there boys smile
Thanks for your kindness, as always.

Here's the weekly entry!

This TBD is proceeding forward while the player surveys the scene from the island’s air station (still to be made properly, of course). In other news, carriers are now learning to operate together & transfer planes to each other. All of this is, as always, very much work in progress, so don’t fret! It can only get better from now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Besides, we had a small community-based AI commander traits discussion on our discord yesterday, and we’re still taking suggestions - so if you’re into this kind of stuff, don’t hesitate to join us over there for a chat!
https://discord.com/invite/xyWqGak

Cheers gentlemen smile

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 10/26/20 12:30 PM

Thanks for the update! This game is looking fantastic.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 10/27/20 01:25 PM

S! & Happy Navy Day 2020 to all the sailing servicemen & servicewomen of the SimHQ community!

Everyone, take care and stay safe! clapping

[Linked Image]

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/27/20 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 125studio

Ok, now he is spamming. Kick him in the dirt! winkngrin

Re: WW2 Carrier game - would anyone play that today? - 10/27/20 04:54 PM

Nurse Crandall says that you'd have to get hurt first, before she ever gets the chance to hurt your feelings, Chef!
But she also said that in the meantime that these few screenshots could still somewhat help with your libido, who knows ^^

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I didn't think TBDs could fly that high biggrin

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 11/21/20 05:44 AM

Especially with a torpedo wink

Hello everybody! One new dev update covering the work accomplished during the last two months. New AI progress, new plane progress, new world generation progress, new artwork, etc... You name it, you get it!
Cheers and everybody feel welcome to spread the love!

https://drydockdreams.games/2020/11/20/legends-fall/

Have a nice weekend smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 11/22/20 12:09 AM

wow, looks great. thanks for the updates.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 11/22/20 04:03 AM

Man, there is only so many things one can keep saying out this wip thread, simply ongoing awesomeness. I hope i have a real job when it releases and not 14 hour shifts...so i can actually play it!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 11/22/20 04:14 PM

Every update is a revelation... great stuff!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 12/17/20 02:56 PM

Some contemplative business today, if there's any amateur smile

Cheers!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 12/18/20 12:15 AM

Looks great! thumbsup

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 12/18/20 04:24 AM

Getting picky here, but I thought the TBDs only carried two crew members on torpedo missions (the third was only carried for level bombing)?

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 12/18/20 06:00 AM

Yes they only carry two crew members on torpedo missions. This will be addressed when there's actual time for that - as of now weight is calculated independently from what is being shown.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 12/24/20 04:48 PM

Some contemplative business today, if there's any amateur smile

Cheers!

My word! such nice detailing even for early vids.

Merry Christmas! I hope to hear more about TFA in 2021.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 12/31/20 12:57 PM

Hello everyone!

We posted a small update a few days ago - but I had login problems in here, so the news had to wait a tad bit. There you go!

[Linked Image]

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1281220/view/2931245981688855529

This month we are terrorizing our ships with all sorts of torture & some other stuff, feel welcome to check

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Allow me to use this opportunity to wish you and all your loved ones in the name of the team the best wishes for 2021. Stay safe, Stay happy, Stay awesome!

Cheers and and take care!

[Linked Image]

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 12/31/20 02:10 PM

Just read the email. Looks great, roll on release date. Happy New Year.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 01/10/21 01:37 PM

Thanks Archermav!

Hi there Ladies & Gentlemen!
A few updates over the last weeks. I'll post the links directly, and the pics below

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1341415016910622722

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1345376047412334592

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1347904063266963459

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wigean

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 01/11/21 03:52 PM

That`s looking great The_Admiral.

Can`t wait for the finished version.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 01/17/21 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Wigean
That`s looking great The_Admiral.

Can`t wait for the finished version.

+1

belated Happy New Year!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 02/06/21 05:23 PM

Hello there, Ladies & Gentlemen!

Our latest update is here!

[Linked Image]

Please feel free to come over there pay us a visit - and leave a like if you fancy what you read, it helps a lot for discoverability indeed. Just click on the pic below:

[Linked Image]

Cheers and everybody take good care!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 02/12/21 08:43 AM

If some of you are into history nuggets, we just contributed to a small piece on Military Aviation History’s youtube channel. It might be of interest to those who want to know more about whatever happened before Coral Sea. The event featured today is the struggle of USS Lexington against the Betties of 4.Kokutai off Bougainville on 20 February 1942. We provided in-game footage for the action scenes. It is work in progress, but it is still not too bad if I dare say myself. Hope you will enjoy the ride! smile
Cheers

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 02/12/21 10:42 AM

Nice, Chris does some great stuff.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 02/12/21 11:33 AM

I am stoked for this to be released!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 02/13/21 11:57 PM

That was nice, thanks for the sneak peaks!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 02/20/21 12:53 PM

Thanks chaps, happy that it did resonate with you all!

Now, another kind of guilty pleasure, this time for your ears wink

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 02/20/21 02:47 PM

Music to my ears.

Should be all done with school and needing a diversion next year...so hurry up! winkngrin

Just kidding, when it's done is soon enough.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 04/11/21 04:38 AM

Hello there Ladies & Gents!

Some bits of other stuff, including some animated gameplay options for a change

We're prototyping our menu & our soundtrack, care to tell us if you feel like the mood is adequate considering the topic? The footage is kinda old so no worries this will be changed and made more relevant, but it was picked based on the sort of feeling we wanted to convey more than anything. Hope it does the trick smile

As of late we've been posting a lot of 3D stuff, but it doesn't mean we've been inactive under the hood - quite the opposite actually. Although from the standpoint of aesthetics most remains to be done (it's somewhat there, just not cute enough to be showed according to our artists...), we have been very busy with the gameplay functions themselves.

One of the important features of Task Force Admiral are notably our advanced formation system, which will recognize two main types of formations - simple formations, and compound formations - which will be customizable and manageable to an extent that hasn't been done before in any game about the topic. This GIF from the formation editor within the mission editor proper gives you an idea of how easy and intuitive it is to move your ships around in a larger, multi-division task group. This destroyer division is being formed into a line formation, a bent line formation, a loose/customized formation, an arc formation, an echelon right and an echelon left formation using a few clicks.

This is not only necessary from a tactical standpoint, it is also the best way to ensure that we will be able to recreate meticulously historical task groups by placing ships where they ought to be when the information is available. The in-game configuration screen uses the same system, with an actual grid placed on your navigation table instead of a paper maneuvering board. Paired with the fleet defense interface that allows you to customize threat arcs and defensive air operations (Combat Air Patrols & Inner Patrols, mainly), the common interface allows you to remain familiar with the tools you use in both modes in order to achieve maximum efficiency.

Hope the wall of text didn't scare you! Feel free to comment, just bear in mind that it is very bare-bone. Don't worry, it gets only prettier from here smile

[Linked Image]

In other news, Yamato had a small tribute a few days ago too - I know some of you in here probably are fans of the Missy, so allow me to post a few good views of the Lady while I am at it smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 04/11/21 06:59 AM

Looking better and better... you do know you are making a lot of people very excited don't you!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 04/11/21 08:57 AM

For me, that music is spot on. Sets the scene a treat.
Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 04/11/21 11:27 AM

Thx for sharing ! Love the music!
It sets the mood perfectly for what is to come. Heroism, drama, blood and tears.

When it comes to WWII games and their splash screens, settings or option screens I am a real sucker for period looks. Newsreels, typewriter kind of fonts always drag me in instantly.
Although an early prototype, it looks a little too generic for the actual timeframe.

Don’t mind me, will still buy on Day One.

Cheers,
Slug

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 04/12/21 02:15 PM

Just seeing this, will check it out today.

Thanks.

edit: Loved it, thanks again.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/07/21 12:20 PM

Thank you guys, nice & kind words indeed which help a lot with the motivation of the whole team ^^

S!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/08/21 07:21 AM

Man I love that main theme music piece. It sounds Brothers In Arms-like but for Pacific flyers. This is looking really good. It reminds me a bit of Jane's Fleet Command. I helped my nephew gain an interest in military aviation and military history in general. He'd probably love this. I definitely look forward to being a customer.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/23/21 10:21 AM

Thank you Coot, it's very kind of you smile
For Fleet Command just wait for what Sea Power is going to show you. Loads of new footage from the guys incoming soon.

At any rate, if you kind crowd don't know what to watch on TV this weekend, I have a small suggestion, courtesy of Chris from Military Aviation History who went for another collab with us smile

Cheers!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/30/21 02:21 AM

Hi there everyone!

We’re having an interview on Single Malt Strategy going live later today 10 AM US Central - don’t hesitate to come and say hi, we should be around most of the time to answer extra questions.We will do that together with our mates from Triassic making Sea Power & Hexdraw making Second Front so there’s certainly a little bit of everything for everyone in there, whether you'd rather have guns, bombs or guided missiles to command smile

Cheers!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/25/21 02:30 PM

For those who don't follow us on Twitter & Facebook, we rounded up all the latest dev update and put them together in a single video - along with some homemade music. Hope these little snippets of contents will please your senses smile

Cheers!
Posted By: THX-1138

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/25/21 04:09 PM

For those who don't follow us on Twitter & Facebook, we rounded up all the latest dev update and put them together in a single video - along with some homemade music. Hope these little snippets of contents will please your senses smile

Cheers!

Wow! Great rounded up update. I was following this project since the start but lost touch during this global fiasco for over a year. Now it really shows the great efforts that you and your team has brought to this game! I have been concentrating my few hours of free time to mostly ARMA 3 and KSP but WW2 military aviation is where my heart has always been since the start of my PC gaming. Great attention to detail and game atmosphere. If your focus is to bring a healthy amount of realism to the game I suggest, if possible, that the planes flying in formation do not move up and down, side to side at the same time like they do in the first few seconds of the video. Also show the pilots getting out in a raft or swimming after ditching their aircraft at the sea. Will submarines be introduced in the game? Will weather and its effects be implemented as well? One last item, will this game be avaiable in Good Old Games (GoG)? Keep up the great work. Looking forward to the final product.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/25/21 04:47 PM

Really a great update sir.

The sound mix was a little wonky in parts, especially with the music over powering the new engine sounds. Might just be my 70 year old hearing though.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/25/21 04:48 PM

This game looks fantastic indeed. I'll be quite eager to try it out upon release.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/27/21 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by THX-1138

Wow! Great rounded up update. I was following this project since the start but lost touch during this global fiasco for over a year. Now it really shows the great efforts that you and your team has brought to this game! I have been concentrating my few hours of free time to mostly ARMA 3 and KSP but WW2 military aviation is where my heart has always been since the start of my PC gaming. Great attention to detail and game atmosphere. If your focus is to bring a healthy amount of realism to the game I suggest, if possible, that the planes flying in formation do not move up and down, side to side at the same time like they do in the first few seconds of the video. Also show the pilots getting out in a raft or swimming after ditching their aircraft at the sea. Will submarines be introduced in the game? Will weather and its effects be implemented as well? One last item, will this game be avaiable in Good Old Games (GoG)? Keep up the great work. Looking forward to the final product.

Hello THX
Thanks for the kind words. As for the weather, & subs yes & yes, GoG is a publisher matter, and little guys in a raft are in this very vid.
In regard of the planes bobbing around, that is just a camera ambiance artifact when the focus is up-close. You will notice it too in the sequence where time is paused, on the TBDs. Planes fly level otherwise wink

Cheers & thank you all guys!
Posted By: THX-1138

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/28/21 10:58 PM

Hello THX
Thanks for the kind words. As for the weather, & subs yes & yes, GoG is a publisher matter, and little guys in a raft are in this very vid.
In regard of the planes bobbing around, that is just a camera ambiance artifact when the focus is up-close. You will notice it too in the sequence where time is paused, on the TBDs. Planes fly level otherwise wink

Cheers & thank you all guys!

Hello The_Admiral,

Thanks for the response! That is great to know that weather and subs are implemented in the game. It would be fantastic if this game would also be available in GoG instead of just Steam. Looking forward to watching more update videos and the attention to details in the game. Is there a working ETA for when it will be out?

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 08/30/21 05:06 PM

Hello THX!
Sorry, no deadline planned for now - I'll know it when I'll see it, until then it's done when ready to be called so smile

Didn't post in a long time, but we have been busy, no worries. Allow me to provide you with a catch-up opportunity with our latest developments. Obviously the board isn't very adapted to twitter content, so you might have to click on the stuff. Not super sexy, sorry about that!

The genesis of the player's office from our artist Julien from the outline to the prototype artwork. Remember your games from the 90s when you could click around on silly stuff in the museum or academy part of your favourite sim? Time (and money) will tell if we manage to turn it into 3D, but at the very least, if not, you'll get to click on classy 2D. It will be used for all in-game reference stuff (historical overview, 3D object database, player performance, OST, etc...)
I'm sure you can guess some of its most obvious functions too, but I'll let your imagination run wild!

Kuddos if you can see & identify the smaller details, like what's on the table on the left!

[Linked Image]

We also had a little sneak peek at our in-game view system (the switch between Strategic, Tactical & 3D World mostly)

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1416416686803013632

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These are not interchangeable, all three have their own functions:

- The World View is mostly a scenic view - although objects can still be selected, it is primarily used to let you set your preferred viewing angles, see the action for yourself, travel around, between units, and much beyond if your realism settings allow it ;

- The Tactical 3D Map can be accessed at all times by pressing space bar, whether you're in the 3D world, looking at the strategic map or wandering around in the flagplot, and will return you to your previous location once closed. It is used as to give tactical orders (aka when you need to give firing orders to ship during a surface engagement, for instance). This is probably the main inteface you'll be using during combat.

- The Strategic 2D Map on the other hand gives you a general view of the battlefield and of your naval task forces & aircraft groups. Allied, enemy forces, along with unidentified contacts are also indicated. The player uses the map to give general navigation and combat orders to friendly units, mostly when they are not engaged and over larger distances & greater lengths of time. Here task forces are all pointing in the same direction for prototyping purpose - don't you worry, icons do look in the right direction otherwise.

Absolutely work in progress, ofc!
Video below:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...2709881926/Tac-Strat-World_mode_swap.mp4

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1408794530514567172

And some tweets of less strategic value, but still somewhat enjoyable I guess

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1428035475726495747
https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1427841633563811844
https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1425052868575330313
https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1418950411159887872
https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1421469643718283266
https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1413835455661953027
https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1410244832350535687
https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1411383968985845763

There there, hope it will keep you busy & entertained a few minutes smile if you have any question, don't hesitate to shoot!

Cheers!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 08/30/21 05:12 PM

Thanks for the update. The game is looking really great so far.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 08/31/21 02:20 AM

That top pic has a very Janes Combat Simulations feel to it.
Posted By: bisher

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 08/31/21 02:57 AM

"What's on the table to the left!'

That, good sir, is a telephone biggrin

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 08/31/21 03:00 AM

The only thing that skipper's office is missing is a full length glamour poster of Deanna Durbin.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 08/31/21 04:11 AM

I like the artwork and don't mind it not being 3D. Artwork that is clickable and leads to meaningful information along with some good sound design in the background would be nice. Perhaps you could have limited animated 2D objects like a fan or lights blinking on something or a bit of smoke ascending from and ashtray.

As for the left of desktop, is that a photograph of someone water skiing? And to the right, sticking out of the top secret file folder is a picture of bisher. Command has long since admired his excellent photographic documentation of various aircraft and airforces from around the world in the screenshot forum and will soon be enlisting him for carrier duty.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 10/10/21 12:46 PM

Hi there guys!
Updates are slow to repost, but don't worry we're still very much active (those who follow us on Twitter & Facebook can testify!). The latest progress will be better left to an actual update, but time is a bit in short supply these days I am afraid...

Anyway, for those among you who might be looking for a new wallpaper and might like carriers, allow me to share a little contribution from the team. Hope you'll find some good vibes in there smile

Cheers!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 10/10/21 06:56 PM

Marvellous!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/24/22 08:05 PM

Been a while since an update... hmm...

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/25/22 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chef
Been a while since an update... hmm...

The game is still listed in the Steam store so I'm assuming the project is still on-going.

edit: I just checked the Steam store page now and it says "To be announced" for the release date.
Posted By: FlyingToaster

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/25/22 11:30 AM

They have pretty regular updates on their FB page

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/25/22 12:48 PM

@DrydockDreams, keeping the updates via Twitter.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/25/22 12:51 PM

Ok so it just seems like the devs ditched SimHQ then.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/06/22 02:35 PM

Ok so it just seems like the devs ditched SimHQ then.

Now now, no need to use that sort of vocabulary PM... nope

It's not about ditching. I switched to a new computer a couple months ago and back then SimHQ just wouldn't let me login. Now I have realized that it has something to do with my VPN - got back here just to comfort you, hope it will do the trick wave

Truth be told, days are 24 hours, hours are 60 mn, and most of it is being used by yours truly for his day work, and the rest for the game proper. Lot of game design work has been on-going, and I have tried to keep the updates time-efficient, especially now that we have returned to a monthly rhythm. There's just no way to keep everyone happy. I was roasted regularly on the Steam forums for posting regular updates on the social networks instead of posting them on Steam, and on game forums for not posting news anymore when I stopped, here & elsewhere, as reactions were few and in-between (I don't really feel like posting in a void, it might start to look sad to observers...). As you can see, activity has actually increased since the last time I posted an update at all, I suppose there's no bad advertisement in this world indeed neaner

Anyway, as said above, we've returned to the practice of updating regularly on the steam hub itself. It doesn't get too much traffic in itself, but it certainly helps building a dynamic that will serve the game down the road - aka people rarely read them on the spot, but when somebody learns about the game, seeing regular updates there is kinda reassuring. It also helps keeping some discipline in regard of progress reporting, and at some point there's so much content available thanks to our regular weekly updates on the social platforms that not posting it at all means it's be lost eventually. As for what we've been talking about lately, allow me to kindly point you all in the direction of the May & June update below (click on the pics!)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These updates come with ample text & all, so I guess they deserve some extra attention & time that not everybody has - and would be also too complex to summarize here. But let's say I had fun introducing a few nuggets of tech & design. Here are some videos embedded with the said updates which will hopefully make you interested to know more:

Hope it will quench your thirst and make you forgive us - at least this time hehe seehearspeak

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/06/22 02:39 PM

Thanks for the update sir and count me as one of your Steam customers when the game comes out. smile

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/07/22 10:56 AM

cheers

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/07/22 05:04 PM

I've been trying to keep track on Steam and Facebook - but also glad to see it here. smile

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/07/22 08:16 PM

Good to see. I thought y'all huffed and rolled on us. You might need to be married to understand.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/30/22 06:46 PM

Here's some more stuff. A steam dev update is supposed to come online in a few hours from now, but the meat of it all is available already - it's this video below, with some actual in-game gameplay. It's very early, but I guess it's still worth a watch smile

Cheers & take good care, all of you!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/30/22 06:49 PM

Thanks for the update!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/30/22 08:29 PM

Two weeks?

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 06/30/22 08:35 PM

Crikey... it's coming on! Great stuff.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 07/01/22 06:02 AM

Oooh this is looking good. I really like the on ship bridge view and then all the seamless transitions from the 3D space to all the tactical displays. The music is also well done. Seeing the advertisement at the end makes me pine for the old days of big box PC games. Are you actually going to sell a special edition box version of the game? Anyhow TF:A is looking great.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 07/28/22 02:22 PM

Hi guys
Thanks for the kind support - and yes hopefully we'll get to the point where we'll be comfortable enough with the situation to pitch a box edition. We're not there yet - I want the fundamentals of the game to be rock solid. Still, we're getting a bit closer every day.

Yesterday we posted an interview with Wolfpack, hope you'll enjoy the contents smile
An update is coming tonight to Steam if we manage it.

Cheers!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 07/28/22 02:29 PM

Thanks for the update Admiral and if I may pitch in my 2 cents here, I don't think publishing a boxed version makes any financial sense in this current marketplace. As it is already, Task Force is in a niche gaming genre.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 07/30/22 06:48 AM

Thanks PM

As for a box edition, don't worry too much, it's not 1992 anymore - it's not like we gotta make a box for the game to sell at all and throw in buckets at every gamestop, walmart and whatsnot while crossing fingers for it to find public and to sell. If we're making one, it will not be made without prior knowledge of it being financially sound (through crowdfunding, probably!). And it is precisely because it is a niche genre that every opportunity for said niche to be catered for in a lavish yet coherent fashion wink

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 09/01/22 10:33 AM

Hi everyone!

The monthly update has arrived, a bit late - but it's there. And to be honest, it's still last month in Midway, so it's all fine wink

Click here

[Linked Image]

Hope we'll provide you with a good read for the morning coffee!

Cheers all & take good care

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 10/01/22 07:32 AM

Hi guys,

here's the latest ammo for this month. Old timers will recognize a few things in there smile
just click on the pic

[Linked Image]

Enjoy the cruise ya'll and have a great Weekend!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 10/15/22 01:03 AM

Looking good, mates! I'm am still down for buying a copy of the game! smile

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 11/01/22 10:52 AM

Hehe thanks Patrocles, hopefully you won't be the only one wink

So! Our new Task Force Admiral dev update for October is live!

There's a gallery of pics, some of them new even those following us on our social platforms haven't seen just yet. And a lot of gibberish too, but my feeling is that, if you're into PTO carriers, you'll probably like it still! smile

Big thanks in advance for all the shares & likes on Steam! Rest assured that It always does help making the game better known indeed!

Cheers & enjoy

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1281220/announcements/detail/3389548200201300023

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 11/01/22 10:58 AM

Thanks for the update sir!

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 11/01/22 11:18 AM

When?

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 11/01/22 12:58 PM

It just looks better and better...
Posted By: Johan217

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 11/02/22 01:52 PM

Just finished reading Shattered Sword in anticipation of this. Bad idea, makes the wait even harder biggrin

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 11/13/22 02:28 AM

Hehe thanks Patrocles, hopefully you won't be the only one wink

So! Our new Task Force Admiral dev update for October is live!

There's a gallery of pics, some of them new even those following us on our social platforms haven't seen just yet. And a lot of gibberish too, but my feeling is that, if you're into PTO carriers, you'll probably like it still! smile

Big thanks in advance for all the shares & likes on Steam! Rest assured that It always does help making the game better known indeed!

Cheers & enjoy

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1281220/announcements/detail/3389548200201300023

[Linked Image]

I will most certainly not the be the only one to a buy a copy of a game being made with such devotion and attention to detail, Admiral! And I will gladly buy multiple copies (one for myself and a few to pass to friends/colleagues).

[Linked Image]

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 02/06/23 02:41 PM

Thank you Guys!

Here, some belated catch up, hope you're still around & doing well wink

The November contents

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1281220/view/3634997551241374623
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The December contents

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1281220/view/3636125350393350041
[Linked Image]

[img width=1280]https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic....355daa812159a51adda5e06d5ccab8b4924b.jpg[/img]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The January contents

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1281220/view/3671032056785639317
[Linked Image]

Hope I have properly destroyed your productivity for the day.

Cheers & take care guys smile

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 02/06/23 02:50 PM

Thanks for the update! I'm looking forward to playing this.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 02/06/23 02:57 PM

ETA?
Posted By: wormfood

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 02/06/23 06:54 PM

twoweeks
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 02/06/23 07:26 PM

OMG! This thread began 3 years ago. The game should perfect then

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 02/06/23 07:33 PM

ETA?

I just checked on Steam and it simply says "coming soon".

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 02/06/23 08:11 PM

ETA?

I just checked on Steam and it simply says "coming soon".

Pretty sure that's what it said a year ago

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 02/06/23 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
OMG! This thread began 3 years ago. The game should perfect then

Good games take awhile.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 02/07/23 03:18 AM

Something, sometimes in 2023, but can't be more specific than that for now I am afraid wink

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 02/19/23 02:04 PM

Hello there gentlemen,

Here's our mid-month update, enjoy the view!

------------------------

Some new content, nothing too drastic. An update about our damage model

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1624390366253441026

[Linked Image]

A few unsung heroes

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1625494641230618625

[Linked Image]

Another batch of silent heroes

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1626928456771698691

[Linked Image]

And last but not least, a big mamma delivered in a MP4 file for you to make a nice animated wallpaper for your Windows desktop

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1627193757765599238

[Linked Image]

Here's the link to the video file proper
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/708311508488028271/1076504455136157736/Yummy_Yammy.mp4

As for how to find a proper, clean, free & no nonsense open source animated wallpaper & screensaver software and use it with it, there you go:

- Download the latest release of the free, open-source software Lively Wallpaper (available from the Windows store or GitHub, no difference, except the GitHub version is usually newer it seems)
http://www.rocksdanister.com/lively/
- Install it
- Grab & drop the Yamato video in there
- Customize (multiscreen, sound/muted, re-sizing, etc...)
- And there you go, enjoy!

If it kinda proves popular, we will probably provide more of these in the future, they will happily complement our static wallpapers after all.

There there. Enjoy your Sunday, all of you ^^

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 02/19/23 11:22 PM

Excellent update Admiral! Can’t wait to play this.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 03/04/23 12:08 PM

Thanks bro! Appreciated!

The new dope is available (click on the pic). There's a bit of everything. Enjoy the weekend!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/07/23 04:57 PM

Hi guys!

Some new stuff coming your way - with a full update planned on Tuesday. Hope this will be worth the wait. Cheers smile

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 05/08/23 10:30 AM

Looking good!

Out of curiosity I just checked and noticed that this thread started almost 4 years ago. My how time flies.

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 09/07/23 02:30 PM

Looking good indeed.

Here's another sneak peak from the Tally-Ho Corner: https://tallyhocorner.com/2023/09/tims-task-force-admiral-photo-album/

Re: Task Force Admiral - a WW2 Carrier Command Simulator - 10/23/23 03:58 PM

There has been a "demo" released to some YouTubers.

Here's a link to a couple of guys run throughs. Murderous on both sides a/c and the Japanese carriers in this one.

This guy does it twice, first from US Navy attack view, then Japans.

Looks pretty darned good to me for a pre-alpha release.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums