homepage

Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC)

Posted By: Patrocles

Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/13/19 05:15 PM

insane that the Saturn V firststage held almost 2,000,000 Liters of fuel! dizzy

Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-48907836

tldr
1. Saturn V is still the largest and most powerful rocket ever built

2. Apollo was about the same size as a large car

3. African-American women skilled in maths helped to work out the route to the Moon

4. No-one knows where the Apollo 11 module is now
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/13/19 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Patrocles

The command module is at the National Air and Space Museum. The service module burned up in earths atmosphere. The lunar module descent stage is still sitting where Neil Armstrong landed it. The lunar module ascent stage was crashed into the moon* to test the seismometer left there.

* exactly where it crashed IS unknown, true wink
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/13/19 08:04 PM

It's been a lot of years since I have been there but at one time the U.S. Space and Rocket center, in Huntsville, Alabama, had a full Saturn V lift system laid out horizontally in the outdoor display area. I think it is indoors now.
Posted By: letterboy1

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/13/19 08:40 PM

All these things are incredible one way or another. smile
Posted By: Dart

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/14/19 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by cichlidfan
It's been a lot of years since I have been there but at one time the U.S. Space and Rocket center, in Huntsville, Alabama, had a full Saturn V lift system laid out horizontally in the outdoor display area. I think it is indoors now.

They have two, with one indoors and laid out.

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/14/19 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dart
Originally Posted by cichlidfan

They have two, with one indoors and laid out.

The one outside, and vertical, is a fake. A 1:1 scale model.
Posted By: SUBS_17

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/14/19 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Patrocles
insane that the Saturn V firststage held almost 2,000,000 Liters of fuel! dizzy

Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-48907836

tldr
1. Saturn V is still the largest and most powerful rocket ever built

2. Apollo was about the same size as a large car

3. African-American women skilled in maths helped to work out the route to the Moon

Lies, no African American women were involved in the maths that involved the Lunar missions. The following people were involved only, Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong and John Glenn. They used a massive sheet four hundred meters square with chalk. No one else was involved in the maths, it took 4 days to do the calculations, no one slept or went home. they stayed there throughout the time the calculations were carried out.
Flying to the moon involves primarily a board with numbers and a stop watch.
The Astronauts did their own calculations as it is their flight, no one else on Planet Earth had the skill or Qualifications or experience in order to carry it out. All of them were test pilots for the US Navy, none of them was sick on the flight. Neil was awake the whole 9 days of the flight and did not use anything to keep awake. The Apollo 11 Module is in a Museum the rest is in space in outer orbit floating around. The bottom of the Lunar module is still on the moon.(you can see it with a telescope)
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/14/19 08:30 PM

Ok, you did it once. Going for a second helping is just in poor taste.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/14/19 09:04 PM

Posted By: Mad Max

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/15/19 12:27 AM

This is an interesting comparison:

Saturn V is in the middle and the NASA Space Launch concept next to it.

Attached picture 180205173911-big-rockets-780x439.jpg

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/15/19 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Ok, you did it once. Going for a second helping is just in poor taste.

What are you referring too?

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/15/19 09:29 PM

Oh, don’t be coy.

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/16/19 06:19 PM

Those people that I mentioned are the only ones who did the calculations for the trip to the moon and back. They used a 400meter square board when they did it, it took 4 days without sleep to do the calculation. When they flew to the moon Neil had to use just a stop watch to control thruster bursts in order to make the journey. Neil never slept for 9 days, no one else on the ground had anything to do with those calculations. That movie with those women is a total lie no such thing ever happened. There were 4 women working for NASA at the time, none of them was involved in anything to do with the calculations of the SpaceShip. There was one who was an Engineer who was involved in one panel on the Lander.

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/16/19 06:23 PM

Neil never slept for 9 days.

You are very hard to take seriously when you say things that are just impossible.

Give it a rest.

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/16/19 11:46 PM

Not wanting to seem like a pile-on, but really Sub, you are not playing nicely in posting stuff that you yourself know is rubbish. It's known as trolling.
Posted By: piper

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/17/19 12:52 AM

Subs, check this out. An amazing series called the Moon Machines. The link is the show about the navigation computer used on Apollo.

Posted By: Clydewinder

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/17/19 02:53 AM

thanks for posting that, piper. very cool!

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/17/19 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Max
It's known as trolling.

+1
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/17/19 11:00 AM

Any truth that the first parts to touch the moon were Canadian made?
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/17/19 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK

I dunno... would they really want to risk having something tell them to "Take off, you hoser!" just as they were touching down? Seems kind of counter-productive...

neaner

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/17/19 06:20 PM

Neil never slept for 9 days.

You are very hard to take seriously when you say things that are just impossible.

Give it a rest.

Read more and you will find out, there was no computers at all just Neil his Stop Watch a clock and a board. They had nothing else, it is a marvellous achievement and they could only stay on the moon for 30 minutes. It took nine days and Neil did have to remain awake the whole time. Apollo 13 hit debris from what could be from the Tungaska comet that is caught between Earth and the Moon's gravity fields. That impact meant that John Glenn had pull the board out and make new calculations and numbers for Apollo 13 to return to Earth, those calculations took 5 days. Apollo 13 was assisted in order to regain control from a spin which accidentally became more violent due to pilot error.

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/17/19 06:29 PM

“... could only stay on the moon for 30 minutes.”

OK, you are just saying stupid troll things.

I advise you to stop the trolling. It will not be tolerated. You are ruining perfectly good threads.

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/17/19 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK

TORONTO - When the world marks the 40th anniversary Monday of man's first landing on the moon, it will be paying tribute to American ingenuity and what arguably is one of that country's finest moments. But it was one of Canada's proudest moments, too.
Many Canadians are unaware that a group of their countrymen working at NASA was instrumental in delivering the Apollo 11 astronauts to the lunar surface on July 20, 1969 - and getting them safely back home to Earth.
In fact, even before Neil Armstrong's booted feet stepped onto the rocky, crater-pocked surface of the moon, Canadian-made legs on the lunar landing module had settled into the satellite's dust first. The splayed legs were produced from light-weight aluminum using a compressible honeycomb design by Quebec's Heroux-DEVTEK, which won the NASA contract.
The landing module was primarily designed by Sarnia, Ont.-born Owen Maynard, an engineer who worked on the famed Avro Arrow before the federal government under Diefenbaker abruptly cancelled the supersonic jet program in February 1959.
Maynard and about 25 others laid off from Toronto's A.V. Roe aircraft on what was dubbed Black Friday were quickly snapped up by the Americans to help them fulfil President John F. Kennedy's 1961 edict that the country land a man on the moon within the decade.
"Canadians contributed a massive amount to the space race and Apollo," says Robert Godwin, a curator for the Canadian Air and Space Museum in Toronto that houses a full-scale replica of the Arrow.
"Not meaning it to be a derogatory remark, but the Americans benefited greatly from the demise of the Arrow," he says. "All of these genius engineers ended up going to help put men on the moon."
Godwin, who also writes and publishes books on space, said Maynard was among the first - if not the first - to sketch a design for a lunar lander that "ultimately looked very similar to what they actually built."
"He drew this four-legged, spider-like landing craft, that ... used the bottom half as a launch platform to come back (to the orbiter) again."
Maynard, who died in 2000 at age 75, was promoted to chief of systems engineering for the Apollo program and stayed at NASA until after the Apollo 12 crew completed its moon mission in November 1969.
The work was a piece of heaven for the Second World War RCAF pilot, but also a huge responsibility, says his son.
"Even as a young kid I could figure out, here's an engineer that's getting to work on the space program, the brand-new stuff, the new frontier," says Ross Maynard, 57, who recalls moving as a seven-year-old to Langley, Va., where his father began working on spacecraft, before settling more permanently near Houston.
During the moon landing, then 17-year-old Ross says he was virtually "hugging the television ... holding my breath."
"As a person who had figured out by that time that my dad had a lot to do with the lunar module, I was on pins and needles. Well I was on pins and needles from liftoff to splashdown."
Yet the walkabout on the moon by Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin "didn't really do a thing for me," he says. His mind was fixated on whether the astronauts would be able to successfully blast off from the surface and rendezvous with the command module orbiting the moon under the hand of pilot Michael Collins.
It seems that was his father's biggest concern too.
"During the walking on the moon he was actually at home," remembers Ross Maynard. "He comes out of the bedroom with his dark blue house coat on ... and I said. `Oh, they're getting ready to walk on the moon,' and he looked at the TV for a couple seconds, and he said, `Yeah, they are.' And then he went and ate breakfast, went back to his bedroom, got dressed and went back to work."
"They were probably so far ahead of, `OK we're going to walk, we're going to walk, there's not going to be a problem with walking. Now what's the next problem going to be?"'
"`We already did that' in his mind. He's now farther ahead in all the things that could go wrong in terms of getting them back in the thing, getting the pressure back up and ready to fly off. And then they've got to find the Columbia (the command module)."
Ross Maynard, who worked as an industrial chemist in the U.S. and now farms a property south of Peterborough, Ont., says his father and the other Canadians he worked with at NASA got some media attention in Canada at the time and he later received an honorary doctorate from the University of Toronto.
"He was a very nice guy, my dad ... And being such a nice guy, and having this tremendous pressure on him and his performance, with basically lives at stake, was a huge contribution but also a huge burden on him."
"I asked him one time if he thought he would have liked to have worked on the space shuttle, and he looked at me and he said: `It would have killed me.' So he knew his limits. So once that Apollo 12 was done, he was on his way."
Still, says Godwin of the Air and Space Museum, the contribution to the moon landing by Maynard and other Canadians - and to aeronautics in general - should be celebrated by their country. On Monday, the museum will honour Maynard with a posthumous award as part of an event to mark the moon landing anniversary.
"Very few do know about it," says the British-born Godwin, who has lived in Canada for 31 years. "I think it has a lot to do with the Canadian psyche in some respects. Canadians are not very outspoken, I've found."
"I think that Canadians are very low-key about their accomplishments and they shouldn't be, because Canadians have done things that people in the rest of the world have never done."
Posted By: semmern

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/17/19 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by piper
Subs, check this out. An amazing series called the Moon Machines. The link is the show about the navigation computer used on Apollo.

This is one of my favourite documentaries about Apollo. Especially the part about Saturn V. You can feel the price the engineers took in their machine when you watch it.

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/17/19 10:01 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/tech...s-on-the-moon/vi-AAEkbq0?ocid=spartanntp
Apollo's Code: Meet the Computer Programmer Who Landed Us on the Moon
Posted By: Khai

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/19/19 10:17 AM

Look, we all know the landings were faked.

They fluffed the first landing, (Neil was not happy at all about that, it was very embarrassing all round), so he took the lander a mile further south and redid the landing, this time with the lens cap OFF.

That's the one we saw....

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/19/19 11:57 AM

rofl

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/19/19 01:38 PM

Not to encourage more trolling but for accuracy's sake Armstrong landed long to the east WEST, not the south.

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/19/19 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by F4UDash4
Not to encourage more trolling but for accuracy's sake Armstrong landed long to the east, not the south.

Apollo12 was more difficult to land because there is less gravity on the other side of the moon.

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/19/19 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Khai
Look, we all know the landings were faked.

They fluffed the first landing, (Neil was not happy at all about that, it was very embarrassing all round), so he took the lander a mile further south and redid the landing, this time with the lens cap OFF.

That's the one we saw....

You can actually see where they landed, the car and the bottom of the lander are still there and are visible with a powerful telescope.

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/19/19 06:38 PM

OK Subs_17, you have exceeded my tolerance.

Maybe a month suspension will give you enough time to rethink your approach.
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/19/19 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by SUBS_17
Originally Posted by F4UDash4
Not to encourage more trolling but for accuracy's sake Armstrong landed long to the east, not the south.

Apollo12 was more difficult to land because there is less gravity on the other side of the moon.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture D_zUo2qXYAActqA.jpg
Posted By: Blade_RJ

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/19/19 11:17 PM

very intersting video
Posted By: Khai

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/20/19 09:59 PM

oh look. one of the computers that wasn't built for the mission*cough cough cough*

Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/20/19 11:04 PM

OK Subs_17, you have exceeded my tolerance.

Maybe a month suspension will give you enough time to rethink your approach.

Deleted an uncalled for post. My apologies.

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/20/19 11:27 PM

Let’s not do that. No need to pick on another member; especially since he can’t defend himself.

Hopefully he comes back with a better team attitude.

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/21/19 02:29 PM

New theory:

They didn't go to the Moon, they actually journeyed inside the Hollow Earth.

That's why there are no stars in the photographs.

smile

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/21/19 11:45 PM

Seriously folks, how can there be anyone who believes in a hoax theory when later orbital missions have actually photographed the landing sites complete with lunar landers and astronauts footprints? I know you're joking Dart, but there are plenty who believe this cr@p.

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/21/19 11:55 PM

Does the GPS system work for Flat Earthers?

Or do they simply refuse to use it on principle?
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/22/19 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Blade_RJ

very intersting video

That was interesting - thanks!
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/22/19 12:08 AM

Seriously folks, how can there be anyone who believes in a hoax theory when later orbital missions have actually photographed the landing sites complete with lunar landers and astronauts footprints? I know you're joking Dart, but there are plenty who believe this cr@p.

Sigh, I just saw this today:

Walking on the moon? 'I don't believe it's true,' NASCAR's Ryan Newman says

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...rs-dont-believe-moon-landing/1785953001/
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/22/19 11:19 AM

There are people out there who deny the Holocaust ever happened so it's VERY easy for me to believe that there are idiots out there who think the lunar landings were faked.
Posted By: Patrocles

Re: Apollo 11: Four things you may not know about the first moon landing (BBC) - 07/25/19 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Arthonon

Sigh, I just saw this today:

Walking on the moon? 'I don't believe it's true,' NASCAR's Ryan Newman says

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...rs-dont-believe-moon-landing/1785953001/

wow, crazy stuff! It is good to see the vast majority of Americans know the moon missions were real.

I watched In the Shadow of the Moon when it was in theaters (wow, that was ~10 years ago iirc) that interviews astronauts from all or most of the Apollo missions. one of the best lines was one astronaut says sumfink to the effect of "If the moon missions were fake why would we try to fake it 10 times?!" (I am sure the nonbelievers could easily twist or dismiss his response in their minds! LOL)
© 2024 SimHQ Forums