homepage

Our music was the best...

Posted By: Dart

Our music was the best... - 07/02/19 11:51 PM

Or was it?

My son, at 23, absolutely loves 1980's music, and will tell one that it's the best and he wishes they still made music like that.

I agreed that things like melody and brass instruments have all but disappeared from popular music, but that he's hearing only part of what we did.

"Son, the music you hear representing the 1980's is the top ten percent - the best of the decade. There was a lot of crap music - we just elect not to keep listening to it, because, well, it was and is crap."

The same is true, I think, for any ten year stretch of music. Listen to a classic '60's radio station - it's what, 50 songs in rotation?
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/02/19 11:54 PM

Your son is correct regardless, and even outside of music, the '80s was the last great decade.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 12:21 AM

I have had that same conversation several times. I always point out there are still bands from that era that are filling out 60,,00 seat theaters and the whole crowd practically sings along with every song. You can look at the audience and see people of all ages, race's, etc., etc..
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 12:33 AM

Totally agree, the '80's had a ton of stinkers like any other era. Most of the '80's big hits have been flogged harder than an Aussie convict and pushed me away from mainstream radio a long time ago. Hearing all of the 'nostalgic' songs over and over in movies and series does my head in biggrin I still find plenty of new music to listen to these days, there are so many more ways for music to get out there and so many genres, music is thriving.
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 02:11 AM

I'll take the 60's,70's, skip the 80's and go to the 90's for the last great decade of music. (the kind played with instruments)
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 02:25 AM

'80s music seems to have become the current Muzak, being played everywhere and seemingly acceptable to everyone.
Posted By: Tarnsman

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 02:41 AM

I was there in the 80s, I was a teen and twenty something in the 80s and even songs I thought were utter crap back then sound pretty good today.
Must be getting old.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 03:00 AM

I find a lot of the Rock from the 80's does not hold up. Too many power ballads, and way too much synthesizer. (not to mention hair spray).
In the 90's Rock became great again, they called it alternative, but it was Rock.

I turned 13 in 1980, so my teens were heavy on Van Halen,Motley Crue, Judas Priest, Scorpions etc. But Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin dominated my listening, Floyd still does today.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 03:55 AM

The thing about 80's music was that there was a backlash against the dinosaur "rock" bands of the 60's and 70's. What was first called alternative, or new wave, became popular because many of the songs were great. Sure the 80's had bad music. I remember bands like the Plasmatics and El Debarge. LOL. There still was a choice of distinctly different types of music to chose from all across the radio dial.
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 04:48 AM

Music went downhill after the 80s. The 90s were terrible, with rare exception--most 90s tunes grate on me if I hear them these days, and post 2000 pop... is that even music?

Around 2008, or so, music began to change for the better again in the indie scene, college music, etc., and the nonsense of lyrics dominating the tunes faded with strong instrumental synth mixed compositions rising in popularity again. We have synthwave, retrowave, dreampop, chillwave, pyschadelia and even modern post-punk etc. which has some nifty stuff.

The 80s, though, were our last golden age. As a synesthete, music from the 70s and 80s is pretty much unrivaled, aside from those genres I mentioned above.

These days, however, I often turn to music that is often 500 to 1000 years old, from the Medieval period, as ambient background sounds when I'm trying to relax. A great station is Ancient FM:

http://ancientfm.com/
Posted By: semmern

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 08:03 AM

The great decades of music seem to be behind us. Autotune is the worst thing to happen to music, it has enabled several people without signing voices to become huge stars - Katy Perry for example. She really can’t sing at all!

Just this morning I was listening to some classical and a bit of opera. Pavarotti singin Nessun Dorma for example, and I finished with this gem: Robert Merrill and Jussi Björling singing Bizet’s Pearl Fishers’ Duet. I will venture to say that, no matter if you’re into this sort of music or not, I defy you to NOT be at least slightly moved by this piece of music. Two men with pitch-perfect voices pouring their hearts and souls into this song.

Posted By: DM

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 08:06 AM

Meh, 70's all the way for me. It had the lowest lows for sure, but also the highest highs.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 08:51 AM

The '70s lows were low indeed!

Posted By: Chucky

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by DM
Meh, 70's all the way for me. It had the lowest lows for sure, but also the highest highs.

Same. I was 11 in 1970. That's when I started getting interested in pop music. I used to tape the top 40 on a Sunday evening,hoping the DJ wouldn't talk over the tracks too much.

I also used to listen to Radio Luxembourg even though I remember the reception was quite often bad.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 11:24 AM

Music is totally subjective just like every other art form. There's no such thing as what is the "best" or what is the "worst" in universal terms.

Now, what CAN be debated in absolute terms is legacy and influence. There are musical bands and artists which clearly have left a much larger legacy and have had much more influence on the artform compared to other bands.

Someone can tell me that they think the Beatles suck and I'm ok with that. What they can't tell me is that the Beatles left no legacy and didn't have any influence.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Chucky

Same. I was 11 in 1970. That's when I started getting interested in pop music. I used to tape the top 40 on a Sunday evening,hoping the DJ wouldn't talk over the tracks too much.

I also used to listen to Radio Luxembourg even though I remember the reception was quite often bad.

Did you also enjoy Pan's People on TOTP? wink

Those girls were great!

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 12:15 PM

Duh,who wouldn't? biggrin
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 12:17 PM

1. Hairspray, open shirt and tight spandex are video-related, nothing to do with audio. I normally don't think of some of the ridiculous visuals when listening to Queen or DLR-Van Halen (for example), the music stands on its own. Lots of Rock was glammed to a degree (even late-80's Guns N' Roses doesn't get a pass).

2. 'Disco Duck' doesn't negate 'Dark Side of the Moon'. Only the highs should matter in quantity and quality (although we may not all agree on what those highs were).

3. Your favorite era of music is usually what was popular when you came of age. I turned 13 in 1980, found my future wife Jan. 1984 which also affected my listening preferences. Had we not made it, those memory-inducing 80's power ballads would probably be nails on a chalkboard versus boosting my dopamine.

4. I base my favorite eras of music on albums purchased (not including lots and lots of Greatest Hits)...
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4458624/your-personal-top-10-albums#Post4458624
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 12:20 PM

I still sit in with bands from time to time , often with folks young enough to be my kids smile . They all know and love good classic rock/pop music from the 60s, 70s and 80s but usually have never heard of or disdain the crap music of the same decades. The same I suppose can be said of the classics. I expect that there were hordes of people writing and playing music hundreds of years ago but what we have left are the "Beatles" of those times ....Bach, Mozart etc. and the Black Sabbath of the era "Wagner" biggrin

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 12:30 PM

Richard Wagner is by far my favorite composer of all time. The legacy and influence of his music and his concept of the “music drama” can’t be overstated. He even influenced composers of Hollywood film scores of the 20th century.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 12:37 PM

Here's the next 80's icon I'd like to see in concert (besides another Fixx show, the last one was fantastic)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OegaW3e01EE

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 12:45 PM

Does Billy Idol still put out new albums? I think pretty much all the tracks of his that I like are from the 80's.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 12:56 PM

I have no idea, PM. My one CD is dated 2001...
Billy Idol Greatest Hits

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by MarkG
I have no idea, PM. My one CD is dated 2001...
Billy Idol Greatest Hits

Ok. Just asking since I’m constantly surprised by how many “legacy” artists are still putting out new albums well after their career peaks.

Update: ok I just looked it up and he released an album in 2014 which went nowhere in the US commercially speaking.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 01:05 PM

This is why I always check the current setlist and read reviews before purchasing concert tickets. Go heavy on new music (which I usually don't care for) or use stage for political ranting = no sale.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 01:22 PM

Go heavy on new music (which I usually don't care for)

I even noticed this at the Rush concert I went to a couple of years ago for their "Clockwork Angels" tour. The first half of the concert was stuff from the new album and while the audience applauded you could tell it was a bit muted.

The second half of the concert was their classic 70's/80's stuff and the audience erupted.

The difference was night and day.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 01:47 PM

Buzz buzz give me 8-0s.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 01:48 PM

Absolutely, PM. This is one reason I really enjoy a good tribute act (I see ZoSo [Led Zeppelin] is playing the week after Bob Seger...excellent) as you know you're getting only a concentration of popular classics.

++++++++++

My summary of how the decades relate to the type of music I most enjoy...

1950's: Innovating.
1960's: Beginning to fine tune.
1970's: The apogee, along with popularity of home/car hi-fi.
1980's: Fun and romantic, video and electronics begin downfall.
1990's: Cynical and suicidal (enjoyable in small doses).
2000+: <don't know, tuned out>

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 02:12 PM

2000+: <don't know, tuned out>

I've bought less than 5 albums that were released after 2000. The vast majority of the music that I have purchased after 2000 has been movie and tv show soundtracks.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 02:13 PM

But that bad Scarface repeat clip doesn't negate (released 1986...my personal extreme)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujwiWjJLwBg

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 02:32 PM

Just for sheets and giggles, try watching a few minutes of the American Music Awards next time it is on. Try even watching a few minutes of the Grammy's.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by LB4LB
Just for sheets and giggles, try watching a few minutes of the American Music Awards next time it is on. Try even watching a few minutes of the Grammy's.

That must be like trying to watch CNN or MSNBC. I can stomach no more than about 5 minutes before I turn it off.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 02:47 PM

Music from the mid to late 90s onwards has suffered the same fate as the movie industry, in that it has become extremely formulaic and meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator. That's not just my opinion but I was told as much by a music industry talent scout.

Like disco, music from this time period does not age well and won't be very relevant down the line.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 03:04 PM

I still listen to some Disco. At least a good Disco song usually includes musicianship...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLxlCBYoPV4

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
Music from the mid to late 90s onwards has suffered the same fate as the movie industry, in that it has become extremely formulaic and meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator. That's not just my opinion but I was told as much by a music industry talent scout.

Like disco, music from this time period does not age well and won't be very relevant down the line.

What has changed is what is known as "mainstream" music. You can still find music today that isn't geared for the lowest common denominator but that music falls under the "Indie" or "garage band" category. So it is indeed just like movies where you can find movies that don't appeal to the lowest common denominator but those are the "artsy independent" films that you won't find at the movie theater multi-plexes.
Posted By: rwatson

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 03:20 PM

"Still Like That Old Time Rock And Roll" what the grand kids and now great grand kids call dinosaur and like PM 5 minutes of the awards shows and I watch the cartoon channel instead

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 03:26 PM

Thankfully today there are so many more music listening options. Growing up, FM radio was relied upon immensely. That's where you heard most new music, especially pre MTV.
I miss the rutual of buying a new album, the physical interaction.
But Satellite Radio and streaming services are so bloody convenient, and cheap.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 03:31 PM

Can't stand the screeching in 'modern' music or any other music.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 03:48 PM

I find that every genre of music from pop to country sounds almost exactly the same now. It has the same pitch, key, tone and tempo. The vocals are all auto tuned to sound the same. My neighbors young adult children sit out by their pool listening to a "young country" music station all day, and I swear it sounds like the same #%&*$# song over and over and over. It drives me nuts.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 03:52 PM

I blame this song for the downfall of the music industry.
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by semmern
The great decades of music seem to be behind us. Autotune is the worst thing to happen to music, it has enabled several people without signing voices to become huge stars - Katy Perry for example. She really can’t sing at all!

Just this morning I was listening to some classical and a bit of opera. Pavarotti singin Nessun Dorma for example, and I finished with this gem: Robert Merrill and Jussi Björling singing Bizet’s Pearl Fishers’ Duet. I will venture to say that, no matter if you’re into this sort of music or not, I defy you to NOT be at least slightly moved by this piece of music. Two men with pitch-perfect voices pouring their hearts and souls into this song.

I have a snippet of Pavarotti, close miked and without any "enhancements", it is mastered to a proper 0db with no compression or expansion, you can just about hear every hair in his beard, as well as a little of the orchestra in the far background, it was part of a test CD for setting up sound systems, it still sends shivers up my spine listening to it.

For the gamers out there it also has a 105mm main gun from a centurion tank firing and some GPMG 7.62 rattling off a few rounds, as I said it is to test out sound systems and it can be a bit harsh on the speakers biggrin

everything is on youtube today smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9y8Ytcu1B8

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 05:19 PM

Just remember, Pavarotti was a tenor, Paganini was a composer.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Just remember, Pavarotti was a tenor, Paganini was a composer.

we will just deep six that one

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 05:39 PM

Lol. I've just finished reading "...Red October" again, gotta watch the condensed movie version now while it's fresh in my memory.

Alicatt, the video you posted above on Vintage Audio was excellent, had my full attention within the first minute. thumbsup

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 05:56 PM

Lol. I've just finished reading "...Red October" again, gotta watch the condensed movie version now while it's fresh in my memory.

:

This is on my current reading list. I hope to get to it sometime this year.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 05:57 PM

Alicatt, the video you posted above on Vintage Audio was excellent, had my full attention within the first minute. thumbsup

The ending is even better it really gets you fired up...

Well the CD was a godsend, I used to have to carry around cassettes, 1/4", and 1" master tapes with test tones on them for my work, now I have them on CD, DVD and Bluray. smile

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/03/19 10:21 PM

So have we reached any conclusions from this thread, other than Dart's son apparently having good taste in music? biggrin

I dunno, it's all so subjective, even amongst those of us at a similar age, especially from different parts of the globe. At least my musical taste is diverse enough that I can almost always find common ground with others.

I'm just happy to have my calender filled with 70's/80's Rock shows, usually small local venues. I can't imagine any good 70's or 80's cover or tribute band ever having a hard time finding gigs, at least not in my lifetime.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/04/19 09:29 AM

So have we reached any conclusions from this thread, other than Dart's son apparently having good taste in music? biggrin

I dunno, it's all so subjective, even amongst those of us at a similar age, especially from different parts of the globe. At least my musical taste is diverse enough that I can almost always find common ground with others.

I'm just happy to have my calender filled with 70's/80's Rock shows, usually small local venues. I can't imagine any good 70's or 80's cover or tribute band ever having a hard time finding gigs, at least not in my lifetime.

What i have generally found is people tend to get stuck in their teenagey era of music, and don't really move on much., much like you stated above with yourself smile It's like people stop exploring music at a certain age or time in their lives which blows me out honestly. Like one day they went, alright..that's it, no more music after this day and what i have heard is the best and anything from now on sucks. Bollocks. There is absolute tons of great music around atm, most of it just isn't played on the mainstream stations. People stating todays music is rubbish is the same as kids parents hating the Beatles or the Stones back in the day, it wasn't rubbish either, the oldies just couldn't relate to the then modern music. I've always harped on about keeping current with indie/alternative/chill/chillstep/hiphop/current metal etc etc and finding new bands and tunes that make me feel. Helps you with the kids as well when you can appreciate what they listen to instead of slagging it like most peoples olds do.

Listening to a radio station with presenters who are passionate about music and musicians makes a big difference as well, hearing how they came up with a song, what moves them, their musical background etc.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/04/19 12:11 PM

Ajay, please read the following in the very friendly non-confrontational way in which it was written. cheers

1. I'd put my music cut-off date around the year 2000 (yeah, let's make it an even decade). I was 33. My favorite 90's can be found here...
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...es-mostly-grunge-alternative#Post4455443

2. I explored new music at least to that point, just didn't like was I was finding (probably post-1995 or so). BTW, I detest pretty much *all* Rap and prefer melodic guitar-centric sound which really narrows the possibilities post-2000, yes? Excessively vulgar lyrics also a no-go. The subject matter can be racy, but the presentation must be subtle for me to enjoy.

3. I won't make the argument that today's music is rubbish, just that it's very different and I have a strong preference for what came before. But then there are lots of current trends I'm not crazy about, so it's not just music.

4. I had no children and so was never inclined to follow their trends. However, I remember when my father would beat on my door for me to turn down my music which he hated. Let's see...he would have been in his mid-40's then. Should I have said, "Oh dad, this Mötley Crüe's 'Shout at the Devil' is so much better than the Johnny Cash, CCR or Chuck Berry you listen to. If only you would give it a chance."

And I don't believe a visual would have helped biggrin ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wPHxQMgdKs

Personally, I would have been weirded out if my father would have started listening to a lot of my music. BTW, I also enjoy Johnny Cash and CCR now that I'm older, and today in his 80's he mostly listens to Classic Rock radio.

5. I have satellite internet and I'm spending far less time online these days (lifestyle change). Given those limitations and the overall changes in music, looking for new music just isn't worth it to me, although I'm still discovering older music that I missed the first time. And there's just so much of it (mainly late-60's to early 90's, listening at home and out live) that I don't feel a need to expand my musical horizons or collection any further. If that makes me seem old or old-fashion then so be it, I'm fine with that. I'm 51 and still fondly reminisce about having an 8-track tape option, so I'm not trying to pretend to be younger than I am. smile Besides, I equate age more with physical fitness and having a passion for life than with long-time habits and preferences.

++++++++++

EDIT: This is more my speed these days (from 1984's "Reckless")...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6TtwR2Dbjg
Posted By: 462cid

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/04/19 12:15 PM

In 1981, I was ten years old. I spent a lot of time playing with a radio listening to broadcasts on pop stations.. Even in the '70s I remember listening to Eddie rabbit songs, Glen Campbell, Bee Gees, etc. It was just what was on and I didn't get much say as to what was playing.

Suddenly around 1982 or so music seemed more aggressively seeping into anything and everything. Probably due to more aggressive advertising to kids. Music itself was more engaging, to me, starting then.

1980s music featured some horrible, putrid crap. But the general flavor was either of some kind of hope, or a modern interpretation of desperation. The fun part was a liberal dash of weirdness. Kings of fluff like Paul McCartney (admit it, he made a song about answering the door) gave way to artists with songs that once again might have more meaning behind them. Might be a strange meaning, but still.

But 80s music had a very finite universe. The attitudes and social mores and even political situations of the times were pop music staples that were non sustainable. How long could "19" be relevant? "One night in Bangkok"? Talk about a good but odd song...how is that going to stand a test of time? Some of the HipHop and rap fared much better even if it wasn't as big then as it became years later.

The best of the 80s is quite good. Listen to 'Rio' today. It still has great tracks. And more than a couple that were a treat to hear on the radio when new, but today...forgettable, as great as Duran Duran is.

Now...Eddy Grant. Now we're talking.

But as far as the 1980s having the best music, I have one thing to say: Led Zeppelin was active only until 1980. They were in a real sense a 1970s band although people tend to think of them as a '60s band.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/04/19 12:20 PM

Duran Duran and Eddy Grant! thumbsup

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/04/19 02:24 PM

There is good music being released today, it's just not easy to find. Popular Music however is terrible IMO.
Watch any Music awards show. It's more about dancing and autotune these days.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/04/19 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 462cid
In 1981, I was ten years old. I spent a lot of time playing with a radio listening to broadcasts on pop stations.. Even in the '70s I remember listening to Eddie rabbit songs, Glen Campbell, Bee Gees, etc.

This thread is bumming me out. You guys get me all fired up for some Rhinestone Cowboy and it's not even on my Greatest Hits! mad

[Linked Image]

Attached picture Glen.JPG
Posted By: semmern

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/04/19 09:03 PM

In 1981, I was ten years old. I spent a lot of time playing with a radio listening to broadcasts on pop stations.. Even in the '70s I remember listening to Eddie rabbit songs, Glen Campbell, Bee Gees, etc.

This thread is bumming me out. You guys get me all fired up for some Rhinestone Cowboy and it's not even on my Greatest Hits! mad

[Linked Image]

Public service announcement: Listen to Glen Campbell impressing the heck out of a room of musical giants. He has to be the most underrated guitarist of all time!

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/04/19 09:20 PM

Glen Campbell was a very successful studio musician playing with many of big names in the industry before he went on to a solo career. The dude could sure as hell play the guitar.
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/04/19 09:26 PM

Glen Campbell was a very successful studio musician playing with many of big names in the industry before he went on to a solo career. The dude could sure as hell play the guitar.

He and Roy Clark were both phenomenal guitarists. My tastes ran more the the rock and R&B side of things but I certainly appreciated the skills they had.
Posted By: David Kennard

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/04/19 11:00 PM

When Eddy Grant is mentioned a performance needs to be posted smile

Kickin' Electric Avenue live

The 80's were awesome for sure, so many different types of music being listened to by all.
The variety of concerts we went to back in the day you could probably not get people to go with you now a days as people seem to be stuck in their genre and listen to nothing else.

We would go see Run DMC & BEastie Boysone weekend,

Loverboy & Bryan Adams the next

and two weeks later Judas Priest & Accept

Some of my favorite songs came out in the 90's though, ones that I will still crank to 11 when they come on.

Toadies for one

or to chill out

Obviously there is still good music, singers and bands coming out these days but for me most of it is stuff you will not hear on regular radio.

Sturgill killin' on SNL still did not break him out like I hoped it would for instance

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 12:17 AM

Um, excuse me. You want 80's?

Are you sure you want 80's?

No seriously, do you really want 80's?

Then turn that frackin' volume to 11!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xxgRUyzgs0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1tj2zJ2Wvg

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 12:20 AM

Have to give creds to this one. Cult of Personality.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 12:43 AM

I always thought this one their best song.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 12:44 AM

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 12:44 AM

Time for a drink or four and I don't want to break forum rules so I'll leave you tonight with some live 80's... band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3eN6WvERaM

EDIT: Just put the CD in (Back in Black...1980) and keep it at 11 (Spinal Tap...1984, baby!).

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 01:55 AM

Proof newer bands get it. Weezer's Teal Album.

https://youtu.be/9JpQ_YTJmkE

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 01:56 AM

Time for a drink or four . . . .

Cheers cheers

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 02:51 AM

On the other hand...

(The Literal Video version, which is hilarious for the over the top pretentiousness of the original song and video.)

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 04:54 AM

<Stopped at 3, now well below the legal posting limit>

<<Ok, the gloves are coming off.>> biggrin

Here's what I really think...

1. 80's music was great but 70's music rules all.
2. 80's made music videos popular, but were often horrible (although if you require video with your audio then you're not really a music lover).
3. Year 2000+ can't touch the 80's (the premise of this thread).

Below is a list of my favorite 80's albums. You may not agree with all of them and you may not have even heard of some, but even if you scratch half of them off and before adding your own, I bet you'll come to the conclusion that 80's music truly is better than Y2K+ (almost 20 years of music). EDIT: If you're at least 40 and your main genre is Rock, that is.

Note that this listing doesn't include any of my many 80's Greatest Hits compilations and is probably definitely not complete...

Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Against the Wind (1980)
The Alan Parsons Project - Ammonia Avenue (1984)
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (1988)
AC/DC - Back in Black (1980)
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz (1980)
Dire Straights - Brothers in Arms (1985)
Don Henley - Building the Perfect Beast (1984)
Men At Work - Business As Usual (1981)
Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down (1983)
Men At Work - Cargo (1983)
Pat Benatar - Crimes of Passion (1980)
Ray Lynch - Deep Breakfast (1984)
Sting - The Dream of the Blue Turtles (1985)
Quincy Jones - The Dude (1981)
ZZ Top - Eliminator (1983)
Don Henley - The End of the Innocence (1989)
Journey - Escape (1981)
The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982)
George Michael - Faith (1987)
Alabama - Feels So Right (1981)
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut (1983)
Journey - Frontiers (1983)
Queen - The Game (1980)
Gap Band - Gap Band III (1980)
Genesis - Genesis (1983)
Rush - Grace Under Pressure (1984)
REO Speedwagon - Hi Infidelity (1980)
U2 - The Joshua Tree (1987)
Metallica - Master of Puppets (1986)
Night Ranger - Midnight Madness (1983)
The BusBoys - Minimum Wage Rock & Roll (1980)
Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)
Rush - Moving Pictures (1981)
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly (1982)
Sting - Nothing Like the Sun (1987)
Robert Plant - Now and Zen (1988)
Styx - Paradise Theater (1981)
Rush - Permanent Waves (1980)
Pat Benatar - Precious Time (1981)
Prince - Purple Rain (1984)
Def Leppard - Pyromania (1983)
The Fixx - Reach the Beach (1982)
Bryan Adams - Reckless (1984)
Metallica - Ride the Lightning (1984)
Rick James - Street Songs (1981)
Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual (1983)
Mötley Crüe - Shout at the Devil (1983)
Rush - Signals (1982)
David Lee Roth - Skyscraper (1988)
Peter Gabriel - So (1986)
Huey Lewis & The News - Sports (1983)
The Police - Synchronicity (1983)
Boston - Third Stage (1986)
Michael Jackson - Thriller (1982)
Toto - Toto IV (1982)
The Alan Parsons Project - The Turn of a Friendly Card (1980)
Living Colour - Vivid (1988)
Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston (1985)
.38 Special - Wild-Eyed Southern Boys (1980)
The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta (1980)
Van Halen - 1984 (1984)
Prince - 1999 (1982)
Foreigner - 4 (1981)

Is that pretty much the ballgame, or should I add some 80's movie/music fun as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz6Kcz62onA

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by David Kennard
Time for a drink or four . . . .

Cheers cheers

Dated 7/5/84, exactly 35 years ago to the day! thumbsup

George Thorogood is one of the *many* 80's artists I have a Greatest Hits for, including that song.
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 05:27 AM

OK, this is at best tangentially related, but I mostly wanted to get this info to MarkG - a show coming up on the History Channel the second week of July:

Battle of the '80s Supercars - https://www.history.com/specials/battle-of-the-80s-supercars-with-david-hasselhoff

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 05:35 AM

^ Sweet, thanks for that! cheers

++++++++++

EDIT: Ah crap, no #%&*$# Yankees or David Lee Roth (Skyscraper), my list needs some work.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ajay

What i have generally found is people tend to get stuck in their teenagey era of music, and don't really move on much., much like you stated above with yourself smile

I've found this to be quite true in general. I've give a specific example with Country Music. I'd say at least 90% of the people I've known who listen to Country Music were raised from a very young age listening to it so it really became part of their "country" identity. As a result, very few of them listened to other genres of music whether it be R&B, Metal, Classical, etc.

As for me personally, there are quite a few bands/artists I like which came around well after my teenage years but I still don't enjoy them at nearly the same level as those bands/artists who were around before I was born or were around during my childhood and teenage years.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 12:25 PM

Same here, PM (Evanescence comes to mind). As you can see from my 90's thread...
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...es-mostly-grunge-alternative#Post4455443

...there were a lot of new bands and songs I enjoyed well into my 20's.

++++++++++

I wasn't going to post the predictable 1984 "Hot for Teacher" video, but I will post this one from a group I'm not really a fan of...but a fantastic staple (from 1987) at a Molly Ringwald's show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBShN8qT4lk

...and how crazy cool was this (1986)?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 12:31 PM

I actually remember seeing the MTV "World Premiere" video broadcast for "You Gotta Fight" AND "Walk This Way" which at the time I had no idea was actually a redone version. I had no clue of the original song at the time. smile

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 12:55 PM

Kids... biggrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bOxB41ZCbg

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 01:03 PM

Yes because we all know how popular Motley Crue was with the African-American segment. wink

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 01:17 PM

Actually, the one African-American (female) gave more compliments than some of the Caucasians, the males being the least interested (with Rock in general it seems).

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 01:29 PM

I was going to add more albums to my list and a butt load of Greatest Hits but it's just too much. Reminds me that I'm waiting for Gloria Estefan and her Miami Sound Machine to come through town. So many shows I'd love to see.

Going to have a Men at Work marathon now. Thanks Dart and son, for reminding even me just how freaking awesome 80's music really was/is! cheers

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 01:43 PM

Gloria Estefan and her Miami Sound Machine

Wow, that brings back memories. I think "Miami Sound Machine" was officially dropped circa 1991 and afterwards she just went by "Gloria Estefan".

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 02:45 PM

The one girl headbanging was gnarly, but the two dude wusses that didn't like the songs--lol. They probably play with ponies... rolleyes

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 03:09 PM

Dude, lets not go picking on the kiddies. nope At that impressionable age they can only go with their environment.

I had an older brother (by 5 years) deep into hi-fi stereo and Floyd, Zep, Styx, Boston, etc., etc. and that made a *huge* impression on me growing up. The harder Rock/Metal was influenced by neighborhood friends, and my musical fork in the mid-80's by a love interest (not just to share music with my Mrs. but to put myself in a state of mind that I wanted to be in).

I still have that divide today, only recently has my wife agreed to attend a Metallica concert with me (will likely be a tribute as they haven't toured the South in many years, AFAIK).

But it isn't the kids 'fault' what they listen to. smile

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 03:51 PM

I really liked New Wave music in the 1980's, but not all of it.

Behold the dulcet tones of Klaus Nomi.

In Southern parlance, "that boy just ain't right."

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 04:04 PM

^ What tha??? rofl

However...

If I close my eyes and listen to it on headphones, I'd probably still prefer it to most of whatever is on the Billboard Top 100 these days. smile

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dart

He's like a male Kate Bush. Except Kate Bush was pretty awesome sounding. What a wild woman.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 04:42 PM

Klaus Nomi was weird for sure but he had a great voice. Listen to this:

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 04:50 PM

One thing I find funny is that modern K-Pop is basically 1980's "popcorn music."

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

He's like a male Kate Bush. Except Kate Bush was pretty awesome sounding. What a wild woman.

Kate Bush still is one of my favorites of all time. I always liked this version of Running Up that Hill with David Gilmour.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 04:59 PM

Does someone want to see Kate Bush in all her weird early 80's glory? Ask no further smile

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 05:03 PM

Does someone want to see Kate Bush in all her weird early 80's glory? Ask no further smile

Haha, so nuts.

This is one of my favorite videos of hers:

Terry Gilliam directing, Donald Sutherland starring, and Kate Bush. How can you go wrong?

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 05:05 PM

Wow. I am amazed to know that there are other people that know who Kate Bush is. Before today I knew about six people that knew about her. "The Red Shoes" is still one of my favorite albums.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 05:08 PM

Hounds of Love for me.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by cichlidfan
Wow. I am amazed to know that there are other people that know who Kate Bush is. Before today I knew about six people that knew about her. "The Red Shoes" is still one of my favorite albums.

I had no clue who she was until she did that duet with Peter Gabriel "Don't Give Up" in 1986 but I've liked her music ever since then.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 05:10 PM

Kate Bush and P.J Harvey are 2 of my favourite female singers.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 05:12 PM

I first learned of PJ Harvey when I saw one of her music videos on an episode of Beavis & Butthead. No joke. smile

Ha, I found it! This is the video they riffed!

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 05:14 PM

Can't talk about 80's female singer without Pat Benatar.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 05:26 PM

I first learned of PJ Harvey when I saw one of her music videos on an episode of Beavis & Butthead. No joke. smile

Ha, I found it! This is the video they riffed!

It's about a woman who drowns her daughter and then returns to the crime scene. Really cheerful stuff biggrin

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 05:30 PM

Song is technically 1979 but yeah, Pat Benatar is such an 80's babe! yep

Many albums missed my list by only one year. frown

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 05:34 PM

Pat Benatar was great but my number 1 female 80's vocalist is definitely Annie Lennox.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 05:36 PM

I'm starting in to some 80's Genesis now (since Eric Johnson is 1990...dammit), feeling overwhelmed. tuner

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 05:43 PM

I had no clue who she was until she did that duet with Peter Gabriel "Don't Give Up" in 1986 but I've liked her music ever since then.

Same here, then her song "This Woman's Work" in "She's Having a Baby" (1988).

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 05:48 PM

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 05:58 PM

I'm starting in to some 80's Genesis now (since Eric Johnson is 1990...dammit), feeling overwhelmed. tuner

Genesis was good in the 80's but better in the 70's. Check out the album 'Trick of the Tail' or 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway'

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 06:01 PM

She was part of that "performance art" era that produced some good and bad (I'm looking at you Lauri Anderson) stuff.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 06:05 PM

Genesis was good in the 80's but better in the 70's. Check out the album 'Trick of the Tail' or 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway'

Well, most 70's-80's bands were better in the 70's (even if their 80's stuff is still good). smile But I have been listening to "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" the last several months and will continue to slowly progress backwards [oops: and some forwards] through their discography.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 06:07 PM

Concur. The band lost most of its progressive edge when Gabriel left and they eventually evolved to mainstream rock by the time of "We Can't Dance".

Genesis was not unique in this though. Both Rush and Yes also became less and less progressive and more and more mainstream as the years went on.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 06:11 PM

A big one I missed (1983)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jITJRF70p7o

The Omni, Atlanta (saw many concerts there in the early 90's)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMmCJ6-uu3M

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 06:13 PM

Lauri Anderson was interesting but ultimately not very good. Kate, on the other hand, was a genius. She was still a teenager when she wrote this.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 06:19 PM

Genesis was not unique in this though. Both Rush and Yes also became less and less progressive and more and more mainstream as the years went on.

This is true about Yes, at least. I find early Rush to be more mainstream. Even Geddy Lee has admitted that he didn't understand a lot of Neil Peart's lyrics. I found myself listening to more Rick Wakeman solo material than Yes, as I got older.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 06:25 PM

The 70's at its best. Saw this performed live around 1978,

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 06:30 PM

I watched ELPs last concert performance (I believe) not that long ago on TV and it was absolutely fantastic ("Take A Pebble" matching "Lucky Man" as my favorites)!

Very sad endings for two of them (quoting Wikipedia)...

"Keith Emerson died on 11 March 2016, of a gunshot wound to the head ruled as suicide. Greg Lake died on 7 December 2016 from cancer."

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 06:36 PM

"Keith Emerson died on 11 March 2016, of a gunshot wound to the head ruled as suicide. Greg Lake died on 7 December 2016 from cancer."

Indeed. Keith, apparently, could not live with the fact that he could not play at his best anymore.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 06:54 PM

She still has it at 66, Rock Goddess for sure

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 07:00 PM

I liked Kate Bush but my 80's quirky girl was on this side of the pond smile Cyndi Lauper

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 07:03 PM

I liked Kate Bush but my 80's quirky girl was on this side of the pond smile Cyndi Lauper

No offense but there is no legitimate comparison between Kate and Cyndi.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 07:19 PM

My favorite '80s quirky chick.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 07:23 PM

I saw Pat Benatar live in Dearborn, Mi. about 8 years ago. She could still belt it out. Her husband is one of the most under rated guitar players ever. Live song from that time era.

Posted By: JohnnyChemo

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 07:37 PM

Concur. The band lost most of its progressive edge when Gabriel left and they eventually evolved to mainstream rock by the time of "We Can't Dance".

I think Steve Hackett's departure. was a bigger influence in moving to a more mainstream/pop sound. After Gabriel left they still produced "Trick of the Tail" and "Wind & Wuthering," two excellent and very much progressive rock albums.
After Hackett left, they produced "And Then There Were Three...," which in itself is a commentary on their situation. The first tune on the album, "Down and Out," is about a band confronting the need to change their sound to be able to continue to be successful. Autobiographical maybe? Or maybe I'm reading something into it, but the album has a much different sound than their previous material, none of the long epic tunes that is synonymous with progressive rock, and a downright pop song in "Follow You, Follow Me," which of course became a pretty big hit for the band.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 07:51 PM

One of my favorite bands from the 80's, Lone Justice, a Shooting Star of a band, one and done album from the original lineup, so great live.

Rock am Ring 1985

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 08:03 PM

#%&*$#, I tried to start a thread about terrible 80's music....

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 08:05 PM

Another favorite band from back in the day, Bodeans

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 08:10 PM

Speaking of 80's girls, who can forget the smokeshow that was Debbie Harry of Blondie ?

She was possibley the first rapper in this song...

Yeah, I know most of her hits were in the late 70's, but she had 80's success as well.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 08:12 PM

hahaha, this should get the thread back to the original thought

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo

I think Steve Hackett's departure. was a bigger influence in moving to a more mainstream/pop sound. After Gabriel left they still produced "Trick of the Tail" and "Wind & Wuthering," two excellent and very much progressive rock albums.
After Hackett left, they produced "And Then There Were Three...," which in itself is a commentary on their situation. The first tune on the album, "Down and Out," is about a band confronting the need to change their sound to be able to continue to be successful. Autobiographical maybe? Or maybe I'm reading something into it, but the album has a much different sound than their previous material, none of the long epic tunes that is synonymous with progressive rock, and a downright pop song in "Follow You, Follow Me," which of course became a pretty big hit for the band.

Very good point. I still think 'Trick of the Tail' is one of the best albums Genesis ever produced. 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' being the very best. 'Fly on a Windshield' being one of my faves.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 08:21 PM

Here ya go...

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 08:22 PM

Here ya go...

LOL

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 08:38 PM

Lol. This has to be one of the gayest songs ever...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CfV2iVMeKA

But that bass...dam (and Molly Ringwalds' bassist nails this song, IMO).

The problem with the 80's is that even the really crappy stuff can end up impressing in some way. smile
Posted By: JohnnyChemo

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 08:46 PM

Very good point. I still think 'Trick of the Tail' is one of the best albums Genesis ever produced. 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' being the very best. 'Fly on a Windshield' being one of my faves.

Right there with you on “The Lamb!” For me 2nd place is a tie between “Trick of the Tail,” “Wind & Wuthering”, and “Selling England By The Pound.”

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 08:56 PM

For 80's awesome I would have to nominate Wham. George Michael really did have an amazing voice.

@JohnnyChemo Squonk is on my hit list of all time greats.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 09:17 PM

I just can't resist. More bad 80's music:

boom boom boom, let's go back to my room

and who could forget:

It's over 100 degree's outside and humid as heel. Bored, killing time biggrin

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 10:03 PM

What I love about this video in particular is look at how she is dressed, compared with pop singers nowadays while performing at concerts. She's not half naked with her boobs and ass hanging out like she's a piece of meat, and instead just trying to sing the crowd a song. Don't get me wrong, we had some really risque videos in the 80s, but funny thing--when in concert, I've observed many a performer less so in some of the recordings of events I've seen. This isn't a blanket rule, though. There were exceptions. smile

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 10:16 PM

hahaha, this should get the thread back to the original thought

That was an awful song.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 10:30 PM

I just can't resist. More bad 80's music:

boom boom boom, let's go back to my room

and who could forget:

It's over 100 degree's outside and humid as heel. Bored, killing time biggrin

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1!!!

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 11:12 PM

“Rico Suave” by Gerardo was an early 90’s song, not 80’s. smile

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 11:32 PM

Someone touched on this earlier, but I believe in the 80's it was still considered cool for women to have a conservative aura that I for one found very attractive.

As I did the woman in this 1982 Rocky-Poppy video at 2:04+...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRu9nWY_ias

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/05/19 11:49 PM

Look at what you started Dart! I'm holding you personally responsible, you probably should go look in a mirror and take stock of yourself neaner

Regards a lack of knowledge on current or at least post 2000 music and musicians, here's a couple of awesome ladies that many would not have heard and hold up to the ladies of the past. Kate Bush was definitely a stand out of her time i will admit, she wasn't scared to experiment and go outside the norms.

That's not even scratching the surface, it can honestly be hard to keep up with the plethora of music that is pumped out these days which in a way is nice as one doesn't hear one song for months on end.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/06/19 12:13 AM

That's not even scratching the surface, it can honestly be hard to keep up with the plethora of music that is pumped out these days which in a way is nice as one doesn't hear one song for months on end.

One song for months on end? You must have missed my 80's albums listing, and it's far from complete (and IMO not even the best decade of music).

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/06/19 01:50 AM

My two favorite modern female singers would likely be Alison Goldfrapp, who is nuts and creative as hell, and Tessa Murray of Still Corners, who's voice is dreamy:

She plays a killer straight out of the 80s slow bassline on the second song on this album, starting at 3:38:

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/06/19 11:45 AM

I will say that no matter how good he was, I can't stand to listen to Prince any more.

Not because of some political view (because in the 80's artists just didn't play that game), or some lyric choices, or how he ruined Sheena Easton, or because it was bad music.

It's because it was all the local radio stations would play Prince songs over and over and over and over again.

The same is true for the Alabama band. Since I went to High School just up the road from Fort Payne it was Alabama Band 24/7 on the radio.

Hilariously enough, me and my buddy ran into them while fishing the South Sauty one afternoon, and while they appreciated the fact that we didn't swoon or act weird, they were also surprised about it (this was about the time they were Country Music Group of the Year, etc.). They admitted they didn't listen to the local radio much, as they have to rehearse and play the songs enough as it is, and having to hear it again and again...and then started laughing.

"Y'all know we don't have nothing to do with that, right?" was their apology. Accepted. So we swapped some jigs (the bass were biting the white ones that day, and the debate was over long versus short), shook hands all around, and left each other on good terms.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/06/19 11:55 AM

Having given this much thought...

1. The vast majority of people I know who are my age could give two flips about music, old or new. It's something they rarely talk about and doesn't seem important in their daily lives except for maybe a little background noise when they're not watching TV. The fact that we're interested (or even passionate) enough to discuss it like this is rare.

2. I frequently listen to music I've never heard before. Usually I'm walking a downtown or the French Quarter with my wife and we hear something coming from a bar or restaurant that interests us. Or we'll go to a book store that offers coffee and a live performer (although that's becoming very rare these days). Or even catching a performance in a world famous Jazz Club in NYC. If it's something I can groove to (like the occasional new tune one of you might post here), I'm good. And sometimes I like it so much I even purchase it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g12f7uDIGZc

But I'm a lot more discerning with the music I purchase (usually CD, sometimes DRM-free MP3). Plus it's not my personality to feel like I have to keep moving on to the next or newest thing. If I *really* like something, I'll probably never get bored with it.

3. New music to me is mostly a young person's game, how I felt about it as a teen and how I still feel about it in my 50's. Let the old folks enjoy their oldies (if they even still care about music at all). smile

BTW, this to me is still the all-time best Pop music (one off Thriller without an Eddie Van Halen guitar solo)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOnqjkJTMaA
Posted By: ARUP

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/06/19 11:56 AM

Late '70s and '80s music was so crappy I started getting interested in 'alternative' and 'punk'. It was so 'off the chain' and hilarious! I am mostly a classical music fan including opera. Turandot is a great 'first' opera especially for dating! Jazz and blues are in my 'diet', too!

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/06/19 12:07 PM

^ There you go, different tastes and all. I love a live Classical performance and find Punk to be mostly no-talent #%&*$#. smile

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/06/19 01:04 PM

Awesome Alabama story, Dart. thumbsup

Some fine 80's memories...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqgr7R4zUMg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWx9NwK4Kfs

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/06/19 07:57 PM

Thread seems to be stalling and eventually I'll harvest some songs from it, after it's all quiet and I'm not thinking of another response.

I think it's time to pull out my final Ace (although I had so many to choose from) to show one more example of what *I* thought was great about 1980's music. You may not agree.

From 1982...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cQNkIrg-Tk

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/06/19 10:53 PM

One song for months on end? You must have missed my 80's albums listing, and it's far from complete (and IMO not even the best decade of music).

As in mainstream radio flogs songs too death smile On your music journey check out an Aussie chick called Tash Sultana, she is an amazing talent. One woman band, drums, acoustic, electric, you name it, she plays it.Does it live as well.

Our best national radio station, TripleJ, has a an unearthed segment where people can upload their music and get airplay. It got so big over a period of a few years it has a dedicated side station now and the listeners vote a best of unearthed once a year that puts the artist into a festival on a big stage. Also...no ads, no Nickleback, no Beyonce or similar but they do segments on influential musicians like Johnny Cash, David Bowie, Hendrix etc and a lot of roots of peoples current music.

They also have programs like The Racket that keeps tabs on current metal, a hip hop show, music culture etc. And the best thing, the presenters are young and passionate have their finger on the pulse and a background in music of some sort. When i hear other radio stations it nearly makes my ears bleed with their inane dribble and one song to every three ads.

Btw, what did you think of Metallicas last album? As a huge fan for nearly two decades i just couldn't get into it. They are still amazing live of course.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/06/19 11:25 PM

Really liked the guitar solo at the end of that song. Had the speakers up nice and high.

I always loved finding new music and new artists. As I got older, and time got so compressed, I found it harder and harder to come in contact with it. I have always had a very "eclectic" (for lack of better word) taste in music. There is a lot of really good music out there now, for sure, but sometimes I find it hard to know where to look. That's why I like these kind of threads.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/07/19 03:37 PM

You don't always have to go looking for new Rock, sometimes it finds *you*! Rock can be so powerful, you know? You can just feel it running through your system.

Ever have a Rock emergency? I had one just last night. At around 9PM I told my wife, "I gotta Rock! I want Rock out, let's go!" We didn't get home until 3 o'clock this morning!

Turns out this Rock is 5MM and currently somewhere between my right kidney and bladder, just like in NYC (except here they did a CAT Scan vs. Ultrasound). eek2

Pain meds making it bearable, hope I pass it soon, but even with Flowmax it feels like it's not moving (I'll come back to thread when I'm all better).

Just confirms to me that for the most part, new Rock sucks!

Rock on! band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRwrg0db_zY

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/07/19 05:15 PM

My wife has had kidney stones, she says they hurt more than giving birth, which she has done twice.
This song might apply to your situation

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/08/19 10:31 AM

Just confirms to me that for the most part, new Rock sucks!

What new Rock? It doesn't exist in mainstream Top 40 music anymore so you must be listening to underground/indie bands.
Posted By: bones

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/08/19 02:13 PM

PM,

We saw Billy Idol play 2 years ago and he wa touring for his then- new album. So yes he is still making new music. Steve Stevens commented on stage about it because he said people were saying how they like their old stuff better, to which he said, "at least we are still making new music!"

Interestingly enough Billy played here just last Thursday on 4th of July at one of our local Ribfests.

I also saw Pat Benatar play in 2017 and she was still phenomenal. That same year we also saw Blondie play and Duran Duran. All of them held up really well. What really surprised me was Nile Rodgers opened up for Blondie and my respect for him went right through the roof. I had no idea how much he had contributed to the music world as a writer and producer. He actually had Chic with him so they played, but he also played Bowie's "Last Dance" which he was a producer, Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" on which he produced and played, "Like a Virgin" which he produced, "Notorious" by Duran Duran which he also produced, and Diana Ross' "Upside Down" and "I'm Coming Out", and others. His influence was clear and sweeping.

I also have to say that anything after Purple Rain by Prince was kinda downhill for me (except for the song "Cream"). "Controversy," "1999", and "Purple Rain" were the best albums to me. I really miss his funk style, and funky in general. I was at a club Friday night where they played the "Controversy" video and it reminded me how actual instrument playing and a cohesive band rather than a pretty face and just some guys in the background that get no recognition is becoming a thing of the past. When was the last time you saw a black musician play an instrument like a guitar or piano or something? We will never see licks from a black artist like Prince, or Nile or Micki Free, or Dez Dickerson or Jesse Johnson ever again, I feel.

Speaking of Prince, I saw the Revolution play 2 years ago and they were great, it was just hard seeing them play without Prince. They felt the same way, some of them were braking down through their performance and struggled to hold it together.

v6,
boNes

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/08/19 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by bones
PM,

We saw Billy Idol play 2 years ago and he wa touring for his then- new album. So yes he is still making new music. Steve Stevens commented on stage about it because he said people were saying how they like their old stuff better, to which he said, "at least we are still making new music!"

I see what you're saying but my point is that the new albums being released by legacy artists are largely ignored and really don't connect with the current mainstream market. These new albums are only being bought by the most hardcore fans. That's exactly why so many legacy artists go on tour because they know their fans want to listen to their old classic stuff and besides, they make a lot more money touring than they do releasing new albums.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/08/19 04:47 PM

You ever notice that while at a concert (by a legacy artist), whenever they say "we are going to play something from our new album", there is usually a rush of people heading for the bathrooms ? Then they start playing the tune you have been waiting for all night while you are still in line.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/08/19 04:51 PM

You ever notice that while at a concert (by a legacy artist), whenever they say "we are going to play something from our new album", there is usually a rush of people heading for the bathrooms ? Then they start playing the tune you have been waiting for all night while you are still in line.

LOL! Yup!

I mentioned this in a previous post but the Rush concert I went to a few years ago had a pretty subdued audience while they played songs from their new album "Clockwork Angels". As soon as the second half of the concert started and they started playing their classic 70's and 80's stuff the audience erupted.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/08/19 05:30 PM

In Rush's case, most of their music post-Counterparts was pretty bad. At least what I heard. I think I listened to a few songs from the '96 or '02 album and wrote them off. The mixing/soundfield/etc. was muddled. Shame, because pre-Counterparts they were so epic.
Posted By: bones

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/08/19 06:46 PM

It is sort of subjective too I guess. I saw Depeche Mode and the Cure recently and their new stuff was welcomed as much as their old stuff was.

v6,
boNes

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/08/19 07:20 PM

Right, not all new stuff is bad. I happen to enjoy Devo's newest album from 2010. The managed to recapture what made them great in the early 80s, though, instead of trying to sound hip and modern.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/08/19 10:06 PM

Bottom line for me is that I have a large enough music collection (late-60's through early-90's) and enough upcoming concert dates that I don't need to go searching the underground for something new. I often feel overwhelmed as it is and I listen to music every single day and most of the day.

My internet usage is:
----------------------------
90% SimHQ (and my only active participation).
9% YouTube (although I've never had an account).
1% Mudspike (to follow another music thread).

If some new music comes along that can tickle my ears, I'll probably come across it here.

++++++++++

WangoTango...lol. This time is not nearly as bad (so far), but only because it took me all of two hours (vs. two days) to decide to go to the E.R. But it's still not a pleasant experience at all, looking forward to having this over with.

++++++++++

Ajay, Reload was my last Metallica CD (or S&M or Garage, Inc. if they count) and then a couple of singles from the last one (I don't remember the names...brain is scrambled on potent meds).

Tash Sultana is very talented.

++++++++++

Later Rush to me has been hit and miss (PM is right about hardcore fans being more accepting) but really, Signals and later never matched their earlier albums.

It's lightning in a bottle with most bands (a span of a couple or so really good albums or even only one), I go to concerts for the classics.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/11/19 07:29 PM

This thread has put me in an 80's musical time warp that I can't escape!

Time to put the cherry on top (or pound that final nail into the post-80's coffin...completely subjective, of course)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M4_Ommfvv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86URGgqONvA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCM4_5uB1ww

<Please turn out the black lights upon exiting the thread.>

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 06:53 AM

Can't sleep, days and nights messed up right now. How 'bout a Rockin' 80's encore?

"We want more! We want more!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvUUj1OInCs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBUe_v6Mi70

One more song, 1980's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RMA-1oWISQ

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 07:10 AM

^ Swapped out Dio for concert video (oops...what was I thinking with MTV video?).

Concerts were such a huge part of the 1980's, still waiting for Cheap Trick and The Outfield to come through town, and so many more.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 10:39 AM

Right, not all new stuff is bad. I happen to enjoy Devo's newest album from 2010. The managed to recapture what made them great in the early 80s, though, instead of trying to sound hip and modern.

I'm stunned that Devo released an album so recently. I thought they disappeared as soon as the calendar hit January 1, 1990. smile

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 02:19 PM

I was the only one of my friends that was really into my favorite 80's rock band Cinderella.
To me they were the most musically talented of the 80's "hair metal" bands but you had to like Tom Keifer's voice to really get into them.

Bad Seamtress Blues - Fallin' Apart At The Seams

Shelter Me

Gypsy Road

Somebody Save Me

and of course, like everyone had, their "rock ballads" Coming Home

and Heartbreak Station

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 02:47 PM

Concerts were such a huge part of the 1980's, still waiting for Cheap Trick and The Outfield to come through town, and so many more.

I've seen Cheap Trick twice in recent years. Once as the opener, though I can't recall who for. Might have been Aerosmith. The other was as the headliner and the turnout was abysmal. Probably less than a 1,000 people in a venue that seats over 5,000. Such a shame since they really are excellent as a live band.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 03:02 PM

Probably less than a 1,000 people in a venue that seats over 5,000. Such a shame since they really are excellent as a live band.

Wow. That's almost as bad as doing a concert at a dog racing track and still failing to sell out!

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 03:32 PM

Probably less than a 1,000 people in a venue that seats over 5,000. Such a shame since they really are excellent as a live band.

Wow. That's almost as bad as doing a concert at a dog racing track and still failing to sell out!

The only reason that came to mind is that they have played so many times in so many places that anyone that wanted to see them already had.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 03:37 PM

Sad about Cheap Trick turnout. They need to come to Baton Rouge, I gotta good feeling (town is stuck in the 80's, we still love the music here)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDbmEDij6Gs

EDIT: Interviewed 2014, same 5 guys now for 16 years, not bad for a cover band and I swear they just keep getting better (as does their stage show).

++++++++++

What else is sad (from Wikipedia)...

==========
"The Beastie Boys were an American hip hop group from New York City formed in 1981. The group comprised Michael "Mike D" Diamond (vocals, drums), Adam "MCA" Yauch (vocals, bass) and Adam "Ad-Rock" Horovitz (vocals, guitar)."

"On May 4, 2012, Yauch died from cancer at the age of 47."

"Founding Beastie Boys guitarist John Berry died on May 19, 2016, aged 52, as a result of frontotemporal dementia,"
==========

That I knew, this I didn't...

==========
"The Outfield was an English rock band based in London, England. The band achieved success in the mid-1980s and are best remembered for their hit single, "Your Love". The band's lineup consisted of guitarist John Spinks, vocalist and bassist Tony Lewis and drummer Alan Jackman."

"On 9 July 2014, John Spinks died of liver cancer. He was 60 years old."
==========

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 03:46 PM

Cinderella? "Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone)" and "Nobody's Fool" my favorites.

I'm always up for some 80's hairbands! I'll see your Cinderella and raise you one Ratt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXXrT7j7VW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u8teXR8VE4

My favorite Ratt, although apparently not popular enough to get a cheesy video (that's ok, I like the album cover)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y76yfTGQ7tw

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 03:58 PM

Sorry Dart. Not really. neaner

Kate Bush, Cinderella, and lots of stuff I've never heard of... I'm going to harvest the hell out of this thread when it's done (find what I like and then go on a music shopping spree). tuner

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 05:24 PM

For some reason (?) at the time I could not stand Ratt but that has changed for sure and I do rock out to their hits when they come on the radio or Pandora

Another top band for me was Dokken - love, love that band - George Lynch is a true rock guitar virtuoso

It's Not Love

Breaking The Chains

Just Got Lucky

Into The Fire

and the mandatory rock ballad smile Walk Away

If you want a great Pandora channel create a "Dokken" channel, it sticks to the 80's rock genre better then using a lot of other bands

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 05:39 PM

Cruise trips don't grab my attention but these do look fun band

Monster of Rock Cruise - https://monstersofrockcruise.com/the-bands/

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 05:46 PM

Since we are on the subject of old music. How many of you still use/listen to vinyl? I have a few hundred albums in the closet (some of which have never been released on CD) and am tempted to get a turntable again. I have a friend that is so into vinyl that he has a $1500 turntable (not including the cost of the cartridge and stylus).

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 05:49 PM

Ah shucks, can't really stream comfortably on satellite internet. Don't feel bad for me, it's for the best. smile

Although it looks like they're running fiber-optics out here, at least along the main highway (on both sides of road) so maybe I'll soon have options. I haven't decided if that's a good thing or not.

++++++++++

Can't have 80's without some Rick James, although YT sound doesn't do this justice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dNIQVYGXbM

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug."

Also, some Herbie Hancock...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHhD4PD75zY

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 05:58 PM

Since we are on the subject of old music. How many of you still use/listen to vinyl? .

I'm fairly certain my last LP purchase was the soundtrack for "Return of the Jedi" in 1983. smile

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 06:08 PM

Don't forget about all the "alternative" or "college radio" that was from that era. Some of the more "mainstream" of that era ;

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 06:14 PM

Weezer, who are definitely not a new band, recently released a cover album 'The Teal Album' and it has a great cover of Tears for Fears "Everybody Wants to Rule the World".

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 06:15 PM

Wasn't Tears for Fears considered to be New Wave?

What I find so funny about the "alternative" label in retrospect is that many of the artists who fell under that label had major commercial mainstream success.

So what were they an "alternative" to then?

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 06:27 PM

What I find so funny about the "alternative" label in retrospect is that many of the artists who fell under that label had major commercial mainstream success.

I think Talking Heads, Elvis Costello and the B-52s, fell under that category but achieved pretty major success as well.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 06:29 PM

Since we are on the subject of old music. How many of you still use/listen to vinyl? I have a few hundred albums in the closet (some of which have never been released on CD) and am tempted to get a turntable again. I have a friend that is so into vinyl that he has a $1500 turntable (not including the cost of the cartridge and stylus).

Until about the time I was engaged (early-'87), my music collection was mostly on 8-tracks (at that time people were happy to get rid of them, so large collection for little money). I purchased only a few LPs (often duplicates of 8-tracks) when I wanted the best sound quality or a cassette for the car (chrome or metal tape with proper recording levels). I always hated cheap quality record-store cassettes.

To pay for a ring and first new car, I sold lots of possessions including my king-sized waterbed and stereo/music collection. I don't remember where my LPs went. Wasn't long after getting married (1/88) that I started buying CDs.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 06:33 PM

Wow Mark, so you got married while Reagan was still in office? You really are old! wink

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 06:34 PM

It was alternative to what was being played on the radio at that time, so many of the bands got their first exposure on heavy rotation on MTV.
The bands got really big but at first the radio airplay was not there but it did come.

Tears for Fears and a lot of the New Wave bands did get the radio airplay but "College Rock" was a different story.

There you would hear bands like Husker Du, Fugazi, and so many more that did not get airplay on regular radio.
For us the College Rock station was coming out of Vanderbilt University and they were great back in the 80's

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doc coming out about the WLIR radio station

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 06:36 PM

Wow Mark, so you got married while Reagan was still in office? You really are old! wink

Lol. I like my age, but that may change in the future. smile

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 06:44 PM

New Wave I think of "I Ran" and this from same band...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOK3rqVgN2I

^ So many music videos have screwed up and/or shortend songs.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 06:45 PM

Hair Metal. Really the were just Rock.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 06:45 PM

Hair Metal. Really the were just Rock.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 06:47 PM

Oh man, I haven't listened to Husker Du in ages. That raw "garage band" sound was the best IMHO. I always had a lot of respect for Bob Mould.

There used to be a few stations around here that would play "college radio" on Sunday nights from midnight until 2 a.m.. I would always jam to those. When I went away to MSU, it was easier to find. The "college" sound had an "edgier" sound and feel over the "new wave" stuff that had already crossed over to "mainstream". The thing about 80's music, IMHO, is it was still able to offer many different avenues of artistic creativity before all of the "cookie cutter" genre labeling really took hold in corporate radio.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 06:53 PM

We all know the silly "Who Can It Be Now?" and "Down Under", but both Men At Work albums (we won't count the 3rd one that nobody knows about...recorded during their breakup) are so freaking solid, from start to finish.

These others you may also know, but it's ALL good, IMO...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0AxrOUJ62E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY7S6EgSlCI

Wow, a band with an instrumental named after the greatest warplane that never existed... biggrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypCWa0qECF0

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 06:55 PM

I fully admit that the only songs I know from Men at Work are their two big US hit songs. Then again, the majority of my music collection consists of "Greatest Hits" CD's. smile

Only a very small number of artists/bands do I like enough to have all of their albums.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 07:02 PM

I fully admit that the only songs I know from Men at Work are their two big US hit songs. Then again, the majority of my music collection consists of "Greatest Hits" CD's. smile

Mine too. I started posting a listing of my Hits CDs just for the 80's (or mostly 80's) and it was just too much work. smile Normally I'll purchase an album or two and then the Greatest Hits to supplement. This works really well with Amazon MP3 sometimes, like adding "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" to
Gord's Gold

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 07:18 PM

Just two more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpu8k8ht_jw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBOQjl2tYTA

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 07:24 PM

Some bands I would only hear on College Rock stations (or MTV) back in the day

Dramarama

Anything, Anything

Last Cigarette

Work For Food

Hüsker Dü

Don't Want to Know If You Are Lonely

Makes No Sense At All

The Replacements

Bastards of Young

Alex Chilton

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 07:33 PM

I would like, at this time, to make a contribution towards the spirit of this thread.

Somehow this made it on the otherwise masterpiece album, Synchronicity...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A9RvEzCYoc

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 07:40 PM

Whenever I would encounter a very rude "flight attendant" I would always think of this Replacements song:

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 07:51 PM

Oh, you must be going to play cricket this year then are you Johnny?

Nuh, nuh, nuh!

But my fave Men at Work song is 'Down by the sea', hand down, and it never gets airplay, ever.

Interestingly enough, you can lay the success of Men at Work squarely at the feet of the Police. People today sometimes say "yeah, the Police, no band says they influenced them today". Maybe they don't, but they damned well should. They literally could not have been bigger than when they called it quits. No more worlds to conquer. Copeland was simply a standard for excellence, Summers was tastefully masterful, and Gordon Sumner was, for all his flaws and disgusting ego, brilliant. Truly so much bigger and better was the sum of their parts.

Synchronicity is not my fave Police album (but they are tied with Zep for my fave band) but Synchronicity I (not II) is my favorite Police song.

Mark, 'Mother' may not be catchy but listen to the music. Who else was putting that on a mainstream album?

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 08:29 PM

462cid, I get what you're saying about "Mother" and I gotta admit, I like the transition to "Miss Gradenko". But whether it's simply familiar from repetition or I'm just glad the song is over, I don't know. smile It does have a middle-eastern vibe to me that would have fit better on an earlier album. I would never go so far as to wishing it away.

Neal Peart mentions in an interview that even Rush was influenced by the Police. I consider this to be the worst song on "Moving Pictures", which is to say, what a great freaking album! biggrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh5RSv52g6U

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 10:19 PM

Oh, you must be going to play cricket this year then are you Johnny?

Nuh, nuh, nuh!

But my fave Men at Work song is 'Down by the sea', hand down, and it never gets airplay, ever.

Interestingly enough, you can lay the success of Men at Work squarely at the feet of the Police. People today sometimes say "yeah, the Police, no band says they influenced them today". Maybe they don't, but they damned well should. They literally could not have been bigger than when they called it quits. No more worlds to conquer. Copeland was simply a standard for excellence, Summers was tastefully masterful, and Gordon Sumner was, for all his flaws and disgusting ego, brilliant. Truly so much bigger and better was the sum of their parts.

Synchronicity is not my fave Police album (but they are tied with Zep for my fave band) but Synchronicity I (not II) is my favorite Police song.

Mark, 'Mother' may not be catchy but listen to the music. Who else was putting that on a mainstream album?

IMHO, two VERY under rated songs from Syncronicity:

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/12/19 10:29 PM

IMHO, two VERY under rated songs from Syncronicity:

"Murder By Numbers" is probably my favorite Police tune. Very underrated. Much like "Water of Love" and "Six Blade Knife" from Dire Straits first album. Going to see Mark Knopfler next month, btw.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/13/19 03:32 AM

A couple more 80's while I can still post.

My least favorite of their hits, but fitting right now as branches are falling on my metal roof...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQRprgbYdTw

Might be gone a while (power and internet unstable), see you on the other side...later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljf8HsefrXk

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/13/19 05:01 AM

Funny you mention the Scorpions, MarkG, as Animal Magnetism is one of the hottest songs ever created:

Dark and sexy.
Posted By: Docjonel

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/13/19 05:44 AM

The Call - The Walls Came Down with the former keyboardist for The Band.

"I don't think there are any Russians
And there ain't no yanks
Just corporate criminals
Playin' with tanks."

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/13/19 09:12 AM

Last night I finally got to see a "band" I have been wanting to see for years.

They had their first major hit 25 years ago getting into the top 10 and then reaching and staying at number 1 for a few weeks, they played that tune last night too, the second waltz from Shostakovich, they are one of the top live performances in the world regularly filling stadiums to capacity, I had never heard of them until my mother introduced me to them in the late 90s.

Last night I went to see André Rieu's Johann Strauss Orchestra in the Vrijthof Maastricht, this was concert number 6 of 12 summer concerts held in the market square in the centre of Maastricht, it was packed out and a great party atmosphere, they played for around 3 hours finishing off with a set backing The Village People. And yes we were dancing in the street smile
They played a selection of classical, waltz, jazz, rock n roll and pop, it was very entertaining and was over and done far too quick, the 3 hours flew past.

From this year's Concert:

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/13/19 12:13 PM

"Let the Day Begin" is my favorite The Call song

I accidentally played both "Tea in the Sahara" and "Murder by numbers" in the post above, at the same time. Try it. Click "Murder by numbers" and then immediately 'Tea in the Sahara". The intro becomes a Police fever dream.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/13/19 02:54 PM

From the Scorpions it would have be "The Zoo". I loved it before I saw this video.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/13/19 03:58 PM

Woke up to a little wind, just enough for an occasional power/lights flicker, but nothing more. Looks like the storm is moving further west of me.

++++++++++

Allicatt, always interesting to read different musical experiences from around the globe. I recently read a post by a guy in his 50's who lives around where you're at, and he had never heard of 8-track tape until American movies. He figures it's because he didn't grow up in the American youth car culture (as he calls it) where 8-tracks were the first real portable music collection. Then again, I hardly know of a band called Oasis (don't know a single song).

++++++++++

Quick story that I feel is relevant to thread...

1984 I was 16, summer break between 11th and 12th grade, occasionally staying overnight at girlfriend's place. Every night around 10 PM my mother-in-law would sit at the kitchen table reading the paper, my cue to grab a pillow and blanket and make myself comfortable on the living room sofa. What was amazing to me was what was sitting in front of that sofa...

20" color TV hooked up to a cable
3-button remote control
Betamax player

Lots of new experiences for me and I lost countless hours of sleep watching music videos on MTV. I saw for the first time what some of my favorite bands looked like. Usually I was awed and sometimes I cringed (even then), and I still haven't decided if adding video imagery to my favorite audio is a good thing. With Rush (for example) it probably wasn't as in the 80's they were no longer this weird looking kimono wearing 3-piece band (with Geddy looking like a witch doctor). Sometimes it's better to be a little mysterious, I think.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/13/19 06:41 PM

phone post

guess that’s it probably no power until storm passes nothing to do now but lay around listening to charged mp3 players chilling to 80s later

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/13/19 06:51 PM

Treating my neighbors to some Chili Peppers right now: Mother's Milk.

Anybody want some Magic Johnson?

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/13/19 07:10 PM

++++++++++

Allicatt, always interesting to read different musical experiences from around the globe. I recently read a post by a guy in his 50's who lives around where you're at, and he had never heard of 8-track tape until American movies. He figures it's because he didn't grow up in the American youth car culture (as he calls it) where 8-tracks were the first real portable music collection. Then again, I hardly know of a band called Oasis (don't know a single song).

++++++++++

Quick story that I feel is relevant to thread...

1984 I was 16, summer break between 11th and 12th grade, occasionally staying overnight at girlfriend's place. Every night around 10 PM my mother-in-law would sit at the kitchen table reading the paper, my cue to grab a pillow and blanket and make myself comfortable on the living room sofa. What was amazing to me was what was sitting in front of that sofa...

20" color TV hooked up to a cable
3-button remote control
Betamax player

Lots of new experiences for me and I lost countless hours of sleep watching music videos on MTV. I saw for the first time what some of my favorite bands looked like. Usually I was awed and sometimes I cringed (even then), and I still haven't decided if adding video imagery to my favorite audio is a good thing. With Rush (for example) it probably wasn't as in the 80's they were no longer this weird looking kimono wearing 3-piece band (with Geddy looking like a witch doctor). Sometimes it's better to be a little mysterious, I think.

Good story Mark
As to the (maybe) Dutch man with the no knowledge of 8-track, my first 8 track tape was of the Dutch band Focus, Focus Live at the Rainbow biggrin
I used 8-track in the bar for a while as I didn't need to keep an eye on it all the time, before that I used a system that was stereo 1/4" tape in an endless loop in a large cassette which later I unwound and transferred to reel for my Akai reel to reel tape recorder.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/13/19 07:46 PM

Treating my neighbors to some Chili Peppers right now: Mother's Milk.

My mother's neighbors were so glad when I moved out. I had enough cable to put my Genesis 2+ speakers into the back yard. I don't think they appreciated Frank Zappa as much as I did.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/13/19 07:58 PM

One of my youngest son's class mates has just sent a message that he is at the André Rieu concert tonight smile

Still it is mainly 60+ ers at the concert and André will be 70 on 1st Oct.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/13/19 08:00 PM

I don't think they appreciated Frank Zappa as much as I did.

You were right to move

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/13/19 08:48 PM

I don't think they appreciated Frank Zappa as much as I did.

You were right to move

To each their own. I think Frank was a genius. Then again I also treated mom's neighbors to Kraftwerk, Walter Carlos and Penguin Cafe Orchestra.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/13/19 08:52 PM

Did someone say Kraftwerk?

Radioactivity is one of my favorites of theirs, but Pocket Calculator is soooooo catchy.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/13/19 09:50 PM

Always a good one to test your speakers to.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/13/19 10:37 PM

Did someone say Kraftwerk?

Radioactivity is one of my favorites of theirs, but Pocket Calculator is soooooo catchy.

Indeed, in both cases.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/14/19 06:18 PM

And we're back (power has been intermittent but mostly on as it became late...good job DEMCO [Dixie Electric Membership Corporation]).

After a weekend binge of pure 80's (wife also enjoying some on my rechargeable speakers), there's so much good stuff we haven't even touched. Maybe another time.

Just wanted to add a few thoughts...

++++++++++

Ratt...meh. I'd forgotten that I only like the three songs I posted, couldn't find more (which is why "Invasion of Your Privacy" isn't listed under favortie albums [maybe a favorite album cover] with two of those songs). But lots of hairbands were like that, 2 or 3 good songs (usually their hits) and that was it. Except that there were so many of these bands so you still get a butt load collection of good tunes. EDIT: Cinderella looks a lot more promising.

I hate to say it, but I also include Dio in this group. "Holy Diver", "Rainbow in the Dark" and "Last in Line" were all that stuck with me (and I've tried), but damm have they stuck! There are a couple more off Living Colour's "Vivid" that I enjoy besides "Cult of Personality" and "Open Letter To A Landlord" but not nearly as much (just enough to make it favorite album, but that one was close and maybe not completely honest).

++++++++++

Anyone interested in going deeper with Men at Work should get their hits compilation
Contraband

I bought it for the couple of songs off the mostly unknown third album, but most of the good stuff is there.

I need to explore more Talking Heads.

++++++++++

The question is, "Re: Our music was the best...Or was it?" Of course it was, if by the very fact that is was *our* music. smile

I think a good argument can be made regardless (compare any single year of the 80's with a single year starting with 2000), but it's still all subjective to the listener. Would I really enjoy George Michael's "Faith" so much ("Faith", "Father Figure", "One More Try", "Monkey", the video to "I Want Your Sex" smile had it not been released while I was engaged? The earlier Bryan Adams' "Reckless", yea maybe ("Run to You", "Summer of '69"...besides "Heaven"). All the early-80's Van Halen to Guns N' Roses, absolutely. It wouldn't have mattered if they weren't in my collection of parking tapes [often mixed tapes for the softer stuff]).

And I still believe there's plenty of good 80's music I have yet to discover (some I'm finding on the thread). It doesn't have to come with good memories attached, but it helps for music beyond my personal preferences.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/14/19 06:21 PM

Talking Heads is fantastic, and so are the early Oingo Boingo albums(pre-85). The post 85 stuff is okay, but the pre-85 Boingo is where Elfman's mad genius really shined.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/14/19 06:58 PM

Italo-disco 4 lyfe!

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/14/19 08:14 PM

Cruise trips don't grab my attention but these do look fun band

Monster of Rock Cruise - https://monstersofrockcruise.com/the-bands/

Would have never considered a cruise until wife's company treated us to a RCI cruise out of Miami. We were hooked for 6 more. I'd love to do a Rock/Metal cruise but they sell out fast and are expensive for a cruise.

First band listed (after the biggies) is the Atomic Punks. I'd go just to see them again (seen them twice), pics of first show posted here...
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4364914/cover-tribute-band-thread#Post4364914

One day we'll do a music cruise, but for now I keep having to push back the new Miata as I'm regularly hitting my yearly insurance deductible (this year it was removable of skin cancer in Jan.).

What a blast that cruise would be though... buzzed (vs, hammered, them days are over), arms wrapped around my Mrs. while listening to Tesla (first band listed).

From 1989...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2q_-xN2N54

But at least we got the Molly Ringwalds (who cover it) for $10.00 x2! biggrin

EDIT: That cruise is going to Cozumel, one of my favorite stops!

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/14/19 09:10 PM

Talking Heads is fantastic, and so are the early Oingo Boingo albums(pre-85). The post 85 stuff is okay, but the pre-85 Boingo is where Elfman's mad genius really shined.

The lyrics always cracked me up.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/14/19 10:11 PM

Only a Lad is a masterpiece.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/15/19 01:04 AM

^ Yeah, that was pretty funny and pretty good.

++++++++++

I've watched all the songs from this more recent show and I'd definitely love to see them play in a smaller venue,...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-GAY7UGSGU

...but do end the song properly next time. smile

++++++++++

I like the Italo-disco! yep

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/15/19 01:23 AM

I wonder if Oingo Boingo would get a record deal nowadays, as they'd be considered far right wing with "Capitalism."

smile

Now, onto "proto rap," which was hilarious to me at the time!

I'm starving
I'm in the mood
Plain and simple
I need food.

Eat some beans
And very soon
Everybody in the place
Would leave the room.

Fart jokes FTW. We were a little less uptight back then.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/15/19 01:52 AM

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/15/19 02:08 AM

I remember this one was played in every bar in the 80's. Classic 80's CD

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/15/19 02:22 AM

The Fat Boys! rofl

Never heard of until the movie "Disorderlies" (1987)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=FMXsRArwlk0

Very fun movie. Cameo by Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick's lead guitarist).

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/15/19 02:25 AM

^ There have got to be some good jokes to be made about a "strong female lead" Hollywood remake of this movie with an all female cast. I wonder who would star in it ? biggrin

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/15/19 02:33 AM

Wow...yikes. exitstageleft biggrin

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/15/19 02:58 AM

The Fat Boys...almost sound like...oh crap! duh How did I leave off "Minimum Wage Rock & Roll" (1980)" as a favortie album (will fix)?

Yeah, the 80's weren't afraid to be politically incorrect and even had fun with racy subjects...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLtbLw3viO0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKb_NBNJIvk

And this just plain freggin' rocks!...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOEQEoVpxec

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/15/19 03:22 AM

^ Fixed a couple of problems above, song order and clearer Anggie song.

++++++++++

One from the vault, anyone remember the *other* "Major Tom" (1983...also a German version)?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMDbX1zksgI

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/15/19 05:19 AM

That's the awesome version of Major Tom.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/15/19 12:15 PM

I wonder if this local 3-piece ever caught on to the rest of the country or even the world?

"Zebra is a hard rock band founded in 1975 in New Orleans, Louisiana." - Wikipedia

Both from 1983 (featuring sweet 80's chick and technology)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5I_CpoodtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofz0iJQd-xU

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/15/19 12:21 PM

I've heard Zebra on SiriusXM. I really like that song , Tell Me What You Want. I did not know they were a trio.
I heard the were a killer Led Zeppelin tribute before breaking. The guy definitely has the voice for it.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/15/19 01:27 PM

Back when Zebra was breaking in the early-80's, they were considered to be the local Rush. smile

++++++++++

Just as many early-80's albums sound like an extension of the 70's, some late-80's albums to me sound like a transition to the 90's.

From 1988's "Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDl3bdE3YQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_GkjymuQ9U

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/18/19 05:21 AM

Music

Nonstop

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/20/19 03:50 PM

60's & 70's legends Rolling Stones still rockin' it into the 80's

1980 - Emotional Rescue

1981 - Tattoo You

1983 - Undercover

1986 - Dirty Work

1989 - Steel Wheels

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/20/19 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by WangoTango
I've heard Zebra on SiriusXM. I really like that song , Tell Me What You Want. I did not know they were a trio.
I heard the were a killer Led Zeppelin tribute before breaking. The guy definitely has the voice for it.

Your comment made me remember these guys, Kingdom Come

Heard them from the parking lot as we made our way in the the Monsters of Rock tour back in the day.
They were the first act, opening up for Metallica, Dokken, Scorpions and Van Hagar.

and of course their obligatory Rock ballad

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/20/19 04:43 PM

60's & 70's legends Rolling Stones still rockin' it into the 80's

And beyond. Aside from the astronomical ticket prices I am still glad that I saw them on their 50th anniversary tour.

On the subject of ticket prices...

Aerosmith is trying to match the Stones. They are coming to the MGM Grand Theater in Maryland next month and good seats are selling for just shy of $500. Needless to say I will be passing on that show.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/22/19 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Alicatt
Last night I finally got to see a "band" I have been wanting to see for years.

They had their first major hit 25 years ago getting into the top 10 and then reaching and staying at number 1 for a few weeks, they played that tune last night too, the second waltz from Shostakovich, they are one of the top live performances in the world regularly filling stadiums to capacity, I had never heard of them until my mother introduced me to them in the late 90s.

Last night was the 100th concert André Rieu has performed at the Vrijthof in Maastricht, and last Thursday the 1,000,000th concert goer came through the turnstile since he started the regular concerts in 2005.

http://simhq.com/forum/tmp/17521.jpg

Attached picture AR100.jpg

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/23/19 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Alicatt
Last night was the 100th concert André Rieu has performed at the Vrijthof in Maastricht, and last Thursday the 1,000,000th concert goer came through the turnstile since he started the regular concerts in 2005.

Talk about playing to a full house every time, wow

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/23/19 05:57 PM

I had no clue who Andre Rieu was until I noticed one of his concerts being shown on PBS a few years ago.

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/23/19 06:00 PM

good seats are selling for just shy of $500.

There are only two bands I would have paid that much money to see. Pink Floyd (with Roger Waters) and The Beatles (with John and George of course).

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/23/19 06:17 PM

80's Country that Rocked

Steve Earle - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Earle

1986 - Guitar Town - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Town - I wore the cassette of this one out

"I Got a Two Pack Habit and a Motel Tan"

1987 - Exit 0 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit_0

and then 1988 - Copperhead Road - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copperhead_Road

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/23/19 11:10 PM

Copperhead Road is an absolute jam. Max volume is mandatory.
I used to go to an Irish bar that would play his version of Galway Girl. The girls loved to dance to it. I always loved that song.

Another good song

Posted By: mikew

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/25/19 05:41 PM

I even noticed this at the Rush concert I went to a couple of years ago for their "Clockwork Angels" tour. The first half of the concert was stuff from the new album and while the audience applauded you could tell it was a bit muted.

The second half of the concert was their classic 70's/80's stuff and the audience erupted.

The difference was night and day.
..and I'm sure they'll play the first half of the 2112 album.

I've always wondered what happens when he sings the following lyrics live:
"What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound"

Does the audience erupt with 'It's a guitar, you moron!"? smile
Posted By: HomeFries

Re: Our music was the best... - 07/25/19 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by mikew

I've always wondered what happens when he sings the following lyrics live:
"What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound"

Does the audience erupt with 'It's a guitar, you moron!"? smile

When they would do 2112, they would normally skip "Discovery" and "Oracle" to keep the pace faster.

First time I saw Rush, they did 2112 as an encore after a 2 1/2 hour set. They were amazing. They really only disappointed on the "Roll The Bones" tour.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums