homepage

You know you're a hardcore gamer when...

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 06/28/19 03:20 PM

1. You freak out and think you are being manipulated when someone starts a question with "would you kindly..."

2. You avoid standing next to any barrels for fear they might explode.

3. You run up a hill side horizontally instead of straight forward because it's faster.

Please feel free to contribute to this list!
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 06/28/19 03:29 PM

3. Yes.

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 06/28/19 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by adlabs6
3. Yes.

I knew you'd get #3. smile
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 06/28/19 03:34 PM

Run up a hill... pah! I'm 57 years old, I don't run up hills! biggrin
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 06/28/19 04:33 PM

About the only runs I have these days involve a bathroom somehow...
Posted By: Pooch

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 06/28/19 04:37 PM

"Run up a hill... pah! I'm 57 years old, I don't run up hills!"

I'm 67 years old. If the only bathroom, around, is up there...I'm running up that friggin hill!
Okay...back on subject.
Posted By: Khai

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 06/28/19 05:03 PM

4: You look at your satnav and wonder where the powerpills are....

(those of a certain age......)
Posted By: Lieste

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 06/28/19 05:06 PM

I run (or walk) straight up any hill shallow enough to actually move on. It is more efficient (total effort) and also a higher effort requirement (power requirement).

I also select cycling routes on the same basis. Downhill I tend to select the shallower slope if the total distance isn't significantly increased for both.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 06/28/19 05:14 PM

What are these hills you speak of?
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 06/28/19 06:50 PM

I find myself trying to tap an invisible button to try to skip through a longwinded conversation, as it reminds me of being forced to endure a tedious game cutscene sequence.

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 06/28/19 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
I find myself trying to tap an invisible button to try to skip through a longwinded conversation, as it reminds me of being forced to endure a tedious game cutscene sequence.

LOL! I still remember some people complaining about the 10-15 minute long conversations you could have with NPC's in Knights of the Old Republic.
Posted By: Coot

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 06/28/19 07:17 PM

Boy I recognized #3 instantly but I can't think of exact examples of games that I've played where that is the case. Probably some sort of third person shooter game where simultaneously depressing the up and right arrow key gets my character moving faster than the default forward speed. Good one Panzer. thumbsup

I've used this before but: When you open your door and walk outside, you spin around once or twice to let the world load so your performance improves.

When you imagine what kind of trade you would like to have in a fantasy rpg world.

When you have a bizarre dream of Red Dead Redemption II, which you haven't played for a month, and in the dream you are griping because you can tell that Rockstar disabled ambient occlusion.

When more often than not, after watching a movie, you have a sense or thought of, "Now what game can I play to satisfy the need to play out what I just saw". And if its a good day, you succeeded at being a fighter pilot, a knight, a monster slayer, a sub captain, a mafia gangster, a SWAT member, an adventurer, a builder of empires, a slayer of aliens, a post apocalyptic hero, a destroyer of Nazi occult weapons, an ancient Greek hero, a light saber wielding Jedi, a stealthy thief, an unexpected hero of Middle Earth, an augmented dsytopian antihero, a raider of tombs, an investigator of the supernatural, a WW2 commando and Batman!
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 06/28/19 08:28 PM

You initially put your fingers on WASD, and thumb on the spacebar EVERY time You use a keyboard, even at work.
Posted By: Lieste

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 06/28/19 08:35 PM

Yup WASD is one, but I also still have a QA OP Space/Tab habit from the 1980s
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 06/28/19 09:04 PM

True story from many years ago:

When you and your buddy spend an entire weekend racing a motorcycle game with a steering wheel controller reversed so it's more like countersteering a bike...... and then on Monday you hop in your cars and it ROYALLY screws up your real world driving!

We never did THAT again! It really was that bad...
Posted By: HeinKill

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 07/01/19 11:59 AM

You drive past a paddock full of horses with your family and recognise 'your' horse from RDR2.

Then you say that out loud.
Posted By: Dart

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 07/01/19 12:18 PM

You go to the store with a TrackIR dot in the middle of your forehead.

(btw, you're really old if you laughed at that)

You look at a partly cloudy sky with similar looking small clouds and think "lazy cut and paste developers."

When someone talks about Mark Hamill and you think his work in Wing Commander 3 was the best of his resume.

You question the flight and damage model of the airplane you're in after a particularly bouncy landing (on a commercial flight).

You look at a current satellite map of any place in the Former Soviet Union and think "wow, that place sure has changed since WWII."
Posted By: DaBBQ

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 07/01/19 08:10 PM

You declare yourself an aviator but don't have any real life flight hours.

Originally Posted by Dart
When someone talks about Mark Hamill and you think his work in Wing Commander 3 was the best of his resume.

When you see Thomas Wilson, you're not seeing Biff but Maniac.

Any boardroom meeting is a day dream of an Ultima from FF7 smiting, just as long and as much as dull.

When you twitch when going to the deep part of the pool without your survival knife, oxy tank and an acid pod.

Posted By: Haggart

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 07/01/19 08:41 PM

..........You use headsets or forms of voice activated communication to communicate with a small and specialized team that always plays together like skilled assassins and usually wins
Posted By: MigBuster

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 07/01/19 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dart
You go to the store with a TrackIR dot in the middle of your forehead.

(btw, you're really old if you laughed at that)

I didn't laugh because my old and obsolete brain had totally forgotten that they used to come with a sheet of silver dots!
Posted By: rollnloop.

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 07/01/19 09:21 PM

You go to bed well after midnight with no alcohol/sex/work involved, thinking you accomplished something special.
Posted By: Bill_Grant

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 07/01/19 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by rollnloop.
You go to bed well after midnight with no alcohol/sex/work involved, thinking you accomplished something special.

HA! Truth!
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 07/01/19 09:34 PM

You are anxious to get up in the morning because you have thought of a better thing to try in the game you are playing.

You are even more hardcore if you get out bed now to try it .
Posted By: ricnunes

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 07/01/19 09:57 PM

You are in a traffic jam and you find yourself looking for the Rocket Launcher Button.
Posted By: BD-123

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 07/02/19 09:17 AM

A pigeon flies in front of your car and you think 'takka! Takka! Takka!" whilst calculating angle of deflection.

Like Dart, I went to the local pub sporting reflective TIR dots on my forehead. Punters thought I'd joined some sect. "You look a proper cult!" I think that is what they said........
Posted By: DM

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 07/02/19 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by DaBBQ
You declare yourself an aviator but don't have any real life flight hours.

I worked with a guy who was always the subject matter expert concerning military doctrines and makeup. I asked him his experience, and he replied, proudly, "7 years milsimming" smile
Posted By: wormfood

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 07/03/19 12:57 PM

Whenever you talk your finger(s) are looking for the push to talk button.
Posted By: FlyingToaster

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 07/03/19 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by WangoTango
You initially put your fingers on WASD, and thumb on the spacebar EVERY time You use a keyboard, even at work.

You realise you never press the spacebar with your right thumb, because you are so used to WASD-spacebar, with right hand on mouse.
I realised I do this, and when I tried to press the spacebar with my right thumb I often generated two spaces because I hit it out of time.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: You know you're a hardcore gamer when... - 07/03/19 08:32 PM

Just experienced a new one, VR related.

While taking a shower I was looking down at my feet, closed my eyes while my head was under the showerhead and I must have imperceptibly rotated my body clockwise a few degrees. When I opened my eyes and saw that I was now standing off alignment with the tub centerline I felt a desire to hit the "recenter headset key".
© 2024 SimHQ Forums