homepage

"The Wolf's Call"

Posted By: THX-1138

"The Wolf's Call" - 06/23/19 05:05 AM

I just watched this French modern military Sub film and personally found it to be one of the best sub film since Das Boot (it's been a very long time). In the USA you can see it NetFlix (surprised to find it there since there is much senseless filth for my taste). Very much recommeded:

Posted By: Ajay

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 06/23/19 11:23 AM

I saw the clip last night but didn't dare watch the movie, i have little faith in sub movies. Maybe i might watch the clip again and try and be optimistic.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 06/24/19 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ajay
, i have little faith in sub movies. .

If you saw that massive turd "Hunter Killer" I don't blame you at all.
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 06/25/19 06:38 PM

Watched The Wolf's Call last night. Thanks for the recommendation, I enjoyed it. I thought it was going to be subtitles, pleasantly surprised it was not.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 06/25/19 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
, i have little faith in sub movies. .

If you saw that massive turd "Hunter Killer" I don't blame you at all.

It had potential but it failed to live up to that that potential in the first ten minutes and never got any better...

Wheels
Posted By: Coot

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 06/26/19 03:17 AM

I watched the trailer the other day and it was with subtitles. Are there options to have English voice overs? I can't handle reading subtitles in a fast paced movie.

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 06/26/19 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Coot
I watched the trailer the other day and it was with subtitles. Are there options to have English voice overs? I can't handle reading subtitles in a fast paced movie.

It played in english audio by default for me.
Posted By: Coot

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 06/26/19 06:23 AM

I'll have to take a look at it then. The trailer played in French for me.
Posted By: rollnloop.

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 06/26/19 10:09 AM

For some reasons it didn't appeal as much to me as das boot, but it is quite a good sub movie.

However it's a bit hollywoodish in both overrepresenting ethnical minorities and promoting the "talented jerck" attitude.

The plot is ok.

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 06/26/19 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by THX-1138
I just watched this French modern military Sub film

Ok I have to ask a dumb question but what actual combat did any French subs see post WWII? Or is this a "Cold War" film?
Posted By: McGonigle

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 06/26/19 04:28 PM

Modern times, not WWII. I thought not at all anything like Das Boot. I thought, more like Top Gun with Subs done by the French. Mildly disappointing to me.

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 06/26/19 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by McGonigle
Modern times, not WWII. I thought not at all anything like Das Boot. I thought, more like Top Gun with Subs done by the French. Mildly disappointing to me.

That’s why I said “post WW 2”.
Posted By: McGonigle

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 06/26/19 06:44 PM

Yeah Panzer, but I don't want to give too much away but it would be safe to say it is fictional so not based on any known events. It is a French movie so au naturellement the French forces have to be at the center of attentiion, n'est pas?

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 06/26/19 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by McGonigle
Yeah Panzer, but I don't want to give too much away but it would be safe to say it is fictional so not based on any known events. It is a French movie so au naturellement the French forces have to be at the center of attentiion, n'est pas?

Ok, I understand now. smile

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 06/26/19 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Coot
I'll have to take a look at it then. The trailer played in French for me.

The trailer did play in French for me as well.

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 06/26/19 07:00 PM

I just watched the trailer and I think it looks pretty #%&*$# good. I'll watch it on Netflix this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up THX!
Posted By: Ajay

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 06/29/19 01:21 PM

I eagerly await Panzers review biggrin

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 07/01/19 10:48 AM

I eagerly await Panzers review biggrin

I didn't get to see it this weekend since I was overruled by the wife but I'll see it soon and will post a review. smile
Posted By: Haggart

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 07/01/19 11:08 AM

Ok thanks will have to watch it too - even if Panzer gives it a thumbs down

Posted By: kaa

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 07/02/19 08:56 AM

Seems done "American spectacular style ", probably nothing new in the style or in the plot and less effenciency than when made by US movie industry...for those interested of what French can do well, with the same actor Mathieu Kassovitz, this serie is very enjoyable but the audience has to get into a slower pace than US produced series:

Le Bureau des Légendes

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 07/02/19 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by kaa
Seems done "American spectacular style ", [/url]

I'm sure there's a French version of Michael Bay just like how there is a German version. biggrin
Posted By: kaa

Re: "The Wolf's Call" - 07/02/19 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by kaa
Seems done "American spectacular style ", [/url]

I'm sure there's a French version of Michael Bay just like how there is a German version. biggrin

Only wanabees ...not that French made movies cannot be spectacular or fast paced for some of them, but not to this point . Those who tried failed ridiculously.
© 2019 SimHQ Forums