homepage

Classical Latin

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Classical Latin - 06/21/19 09:54 PM

How many of you here studied it in school or college?

This video has some really excellent examples of spoken Classical Latin as well as Latin cursive writing. One of these days I’ll read “The Gallic Wars” in Latin. smile

Posted By: Ssnake

Re: Classical Latin - 06/21/19 10:38 PM

Gallia tota divisa est in partes tres, ...
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Classical Latin - 06/21/19 10:42 PM

Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: Classical Latin - 06/21/19 10:50 PM

Not I.

Growing up, we had in our library a book on the ancient Greek language. More than once I read through the introductory pages, on the history and flow of the Greek language through the centuries. Later years I knew a woman who did read and speak Homeric Greek. She reads as much of the ancient classics in Greek as she can manage, and does recitations of the Iliad in Greek.

While always fascinating, going back even to my childhood, I never did study an ancient language.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Classical Latin - 06/21/19 11:46 PM

I did Latin in Jr. High School.......hated it smile

The spoken bit in the video sounds l a bit like high valerian to me. smile
Posted By: Mike Dora

Re: Classical Latin - 06/22/19 12:41 AM

Did it for 4 years at high school in the late ‘60s, in the Scottish education system it was compulsory at our level. We all felt it was a real grind, and questioned its relevance in the modern world. Right after my last Latin exam (1970), I went out into the backyard and burned my books.

But 50 years later I’m glad we did it. Quite apart from opening a window into the classical world, it taught us intellectual discipline, gave us a grounding to help with learning the “romance” languages, (Italian, Spanish, French etc), and introduced us to logical language structure (in later years that helped me with Chinese).

On a lighter note, our Latin teacher Mrs M (also house mistress for my school “house”), looked and sounded just like Hogwarts’ Professor McGonagall, except that she didn’t wear the pointy hat ( but we _knew_ she was a witch!)

Re: Classical Latin - 06/22/19 12:48 AM

Thanks for sharing that wonderful story Mike!
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Classical Latin - 06/22/19 01:11 AM

"Panzer goes to sleep tonite dreaming of his vision of Rome,

He try's to wake up when the corrupt Rome patrols start accusing him of being an escaped slave!"

Too late, Panzer can't escape. nope

I'll let Panzer's imagination and knowledge of Rome take it from here.

Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: Classical Latin - 06/22/19 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by No105_Archie
I did Latin in Jr. High School.......hated it smile

The spoken bit in the video sounds l a bit like high valerian to me. smile

English and French in high school was compulsory. Latin, German and Spanish were options in high school
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Classical Latin - 06/22/19 02:21 AM

I am old enough to remember when to be a Catholic alter boy you had to learn Latin at a very young age. I grew up in a very strict Catholic environment (hope there are no Catholic haters here). biggrin

Re: Classical Latin - 06/22/19 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by LB4LB
I am old enough to remember when to be a Catholic alter boy you had to learn Latin at a very young age. I grew up in a very strict Catholic environment (hope there are no Catholic haters here). biggrin

Of course the Ecclesiastical Latin is very much a different animal from Classical Latin. smile
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Classical Latin - 06/22/19 03:15 AM

This is true. I am never had to learn the latter.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Classical Latin - 06/22/19 08:09 AM

I had to endure taking Latin,around '73 I reckon. I was pretty terrible at languages. I can't remember anything if I'm honest. I also took French and very briefly,German (1 lesson!).
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Classical Latin - 06/22/19 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Nixer
"Panzer goes to sleep tonite dreaming of his vision of Rome,

He try's to wake up when the corrupt Rome patrols start accusing him of being an escaped slave!"

Too late, Panzer can't escape. nope

I'll let Panzer's imagination and knowledge of Rome take it from here.

his greatest nightmare would be not conjugating his verbs I wager!
Posted By: kaa

Re: Classical Latin - 07/01/19 07:52 AM

Did 5 years latin at school ...it started to become pretty difficult inthe last year with the study of poetry like De Natura Rerum or Aeneis (only some extracts of course), but I remember being very very impressed to be able to study some texts from Caesar or Cicero very quickly ...of course studying classic latin gives for the whole life an incomparable cultural background , at least for a French...too bad I did not learn classic Greek.

Re: Classical Latin - 07/01/19 10:35 AM

Great post kaa!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums