homepage

Michael Caine's best films - ranked

Posted By: Patrocles

Michael Caine's best films - ranked - 06/14/19 05:41 PM

I watched "Get Carter" last month after I saw an article rating it one of the best films of his career. wow, that film was excellent - definitely not a feel good film, but the performance by Caine is remarkable (imho,ymmv)

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jun/14/michael-caine-best-films-ranked

I have been meaning to check out The Italian Job for ages
"you're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" smile

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Michael Cain's best films - ranked - 06/14/19 05:46 PM

I have not seen every film that Michael Caine has been in but I will tell you which films I have seen where I thought he was really outstanding:

A Bridge Too Far
Battle of Britain
All three Chris Nolan Batman films
Inception
The Prestige

I also love how open and frank he is about his role in "Jaws 4: The Revenge". He has no qualms about admitting that it was strictly for the paycheck. smile
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Michael Cain's best films - ranked - 06/14/19 06:29 PM

"Get Carter" is a fantastic film. Another film of his I enjoyed is a guilty pleasure called "Blame it on Rio," that I saw way back in the day. Memorable enough I still recall parts of it, but don't expect the film to be Oscar material.

Also, don't forget that he played a fantastic, albeit short role in "Children of Men."
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Michael Cain's best films - ranked - 06/14/19 06:38 PM

Zulu
The Eagle has Landed
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Michael Cain's best films - ranked - 06/14/19 07:00 PM

I like "Harry Brown"
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: Michael Cain's best films - ranked - 06/14/19 07:03 PM

Jaws the Revenge
Posted By: Ssnake

Re: Michael Caine's best films - ranked - 06/14/19 07:21 PM

It may be me, but I think that the humor in the original Italian Job hasn't aged well, it appears rather juvenile on several occasions these days. That's not to say that it doesn't have its moments, and I understand that some will love it forever for what it is. But I thought I liked it better until I watched it again last year.

I agree though that Get Carter is absolutely brilliant.

I also very much like Zulu (although the acting - not the leading role actors' - must be considered theatralic today).

I would like to point out a gem that hasn't found much attention, and that's Flawless.

I'd rate Pulp higher than place 46. The film still works very well these days even though it clearly is an early 70s production.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is one of the best comedies of all time, just as the Ipcress File is timeless as well.
Posted By: Lieste

Re: Michael Cain's best films - ranked - 06/14/19 07:23 PM

Man who Would be King.
Mr Morgan's Last Love.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Michael Cain's best films - ranked - 06/14/19 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by F4UDash4
I like "Harry Brown"

Yup,that was a great film.
Posted By: wormfood

Re: Michael Cain's best films - ranked - 06/14/19 08:18 PM

Second Hand Lions
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: Michael Cain's best films - ranked - 06/14/19 08:31 PM

First, let me say that I'm a HUGE Michael Caine fan. I haven't seen nearly all of his films, or even half those on this list (including "Hannah and Her Sisters"), but I have yet to see him in ANYTHING and not be amazed at his acting. And that includes "Secondhand Lions", despite a markedly Cockney Texas accent. And he had one of MY all-time favorite lines: "How much longer, ops? The engine's overheating and so am I. Either we stand down or blow up. Now which do you want?" I know he didn't write it, but his delivery was beautiful. A perfect mixture of exasperation and sarcasm, with just the right amount of annoyance thrown in for good measure. I also love his honesty. Once, on The Tonight Show, when they were talking about his "accent" he said that to Americans he sounded polished and refined, but in Britain he would be looked down on because of the way he talked. I think he said something like they wouldn't let him in the front door.

All that said...and repeating that I have never seen "Hannah"...I completely disagree with his winning Best Supporting Actor (before it got PC'd to "Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role") for that film. Nothing against him, but I just can't imagine a better performance than that of Tom Berenger, who was up for the same award for his role of Sgt. Barnes in "Platoon". I could name several people I knew that that could have been modeled on...check that, copied from...and Berenger was never in the military. Like Paul Newman in "The Color of Money", I think Caine got the award more for the fact that he'd been passed over so many times before. It's one of the reasons I gave up on The Academy Awards years ago.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Michael Cain's best films - ranked - 06/14/19 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by wormfood
Second Hand Lions

Oh yeah, love this one too!
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Michael Caine's best films - ranked - 06/14/19 11:50 PM

Haven't seen a performance of his that I disliked.

Here is one with him in it that would never get made today due to its subject matter.
Blame it on Rio: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086973/

Wheels
Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: Michael Caine's best films - ranked - 06/15/19 04:02 PM

On Deadly Ground

Cheers,
Slug
Posted By: NH2112

Re: Michael Caine's best films - ranked - 06/15/19 05:09 PM

I second The Man Who Would Be King, it’s up there with Raiders of the Lost Ark as one of the best adventure movies.

Caine’s character, Colonel J. O. E. “Joe” Vandeleur, had very little screen time in A Bridge Too Far, but was instrumental in Operation Market Garden getting as far as it did. Without the bridge his unit captured the British 1st Airborne Division probably would have been wiped out completely.
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: Michael Caine's best films - ranked - 06/18/19 05:55 PM

The Ipcress File and its sequels were pretty fun. The Ipcress File was an interesting Bond-esque film, but I felt it was even better than typical Bond movies being produced at the time.
Posted By: semmern

Re: Michael Caine's best films - ranked - 06/18/19 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Patrocles

«That’s a very good Michael Caine.»

LOL!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums