Posted By: vonBaur

Re: A New Hope Vader/Obi Wan fight re-imagnined - 05/10/19 02:12 AM

Today, yes. 1977?
Posted By: Immermann

Re: A New Hope Vader/Obi Wan fight re-imagnined - 05/13/19 09:14 PM

Oh, god no.
Posted By: Dart

Re: A New Hope Vader/Obi Wan fight re-imagnined - 05/13/19 10:31 PM

I always thought the original fight in New Hope was the most realistic of all the rest.

It's a three foot long column of plasma at around the temperature of the Sun. Tippy-tap does it, as one only needs to touch the other dude to cause serious injury - and the inverse is true.
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: A New Hope Vader/Obi Wan fight re-imagnined - 05/13/19 10:45 PM

The original is still pretty sweet. Extra impressive considering the film was released in 1977.
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: A New Hope Vader/Obi Wan fight re-imagnined - 05/13/19 11:34 PM

The newer saber fights were always a bit disappointing to me. Those fights between Obi-wan and Vader, and later Luke and Vader were more than action scenes.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: A New Hope Vader/Obi Wan fight re-imagnined - 05/14/19 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by adlabs6
Those fights between Obi-wan and Vader, and later Luke and Vader were more than action scenes.

For sure. Both the Luke/Vader duel in Empire Strikes Back and Luke/Vader/Palpatine showdown in Return of the Jedi advanced the plot and revealed some character motives and aspects in addition to providing some great action.
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: A New Hope Vader/Obi Wan fight re-imagnined - 05/14/19 02:44 PM

Yup. Action for the sake of action is boring--i.e. see train heist in Solo. I almost fell asleep in that scene. But when you mix action with plot and character development and there are clear stakes on the line, it becomes interesting.
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: A New Hope Vader/Obi Wan fight re-imagnined - 05/14/19 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Yup. Action for the sake of action is boring--i.e. see train heist in Solo. I almost fell asleep in that scene. But when you mix action with plot and character development and there are clear stakes on the line, it becomes interesting.

I felt that scene was reminiscent of the old Star Wars PC game, circa late 90's.

As for your point, I agree. I'm trying as much as possible to show my son movies from the 60's and 70's, particularly the ones that have been remade. He much prefers the original "The Mechanic" and "Death Wish" to the current offerings, even though he's 27 and a child of the explosions and quick cuts (i.e. style over substance) generation.
Posted By: Blade_RJ

Re: A New Hope Vader/Obi Wan fight re-imagnined - 05/14/19 09:41 PM

i only ever liked han solo, always found the saber fights reallly lame/corny even as a kid, but i always enjoyed the woom whuush wusshhh they made .Maybe its because i was always into samurai and even took classes so that was no sword fight for me lol
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: A New Hope Vader/Obi Wan fight re-imagnined - 10/25/21 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dart
I always thought the original fight in New Hope was the most realistic of all the rest.

It's a three foot long column of plasma at around the temperature of the Sun. Tippy-tap does it, as one only needs to touch the other dude to cause serious injury - and the inverse is true.

Yes, I am reviving this ancient thread. I saw this video and it reminded me of this comment:

https://youtu.be/hp-D-488Yxk

Re: A New Hope Vader/Obi Wan fight re-imagnined - 10/25/21 06:04 PM

"A realistic lightsaber fight".

I'll have to watch the video but that statement seems rather contradictory. Maybe my opinion will change after I watch it.

Re: A New Hope Vader/Obi Wan fight re-imagnined - 10/25/21 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
"A realistic lightsaber fight".

I'll have to watch the video but that statement seems rather contradictory. Maybe my opinion will change after I watch it.

I think the idea behind "realistic" is where people would fight as if they were actually using lightsabers, and factoring in the complexity of such a deadly weapon. They reference "The Duelists" which I think you will appreciate.

Re: A New Hope Vader/Obi Wan fight re-imagnined - 10/25/21 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Arthonon
They reference "The Duelists" which I think you will appreciate.

Oh? I'll try and watch the video soon. smile
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: A New Hope Vader/Obi Wan fight re-imagnined - 10/30/21 08:19 PM

Great video that... really enjoyed the concept and work that went into it.
Posted By: KRT_Bong

Re: A New Hope Vader/Obi Wan fight re-imagined - 10/30/21 11:28 PM

Re: A New Hope Vader/Obi Wan fight re-imagined - 06/23/22 09:42 PM

I am once again resurrecting this old thread, after finding another video analysis of the light saber fights - this guy feels the original Vader/Obi-wan fight was pretty good:
© 2024 SimHQ Forums