homepage

Forty two years later...

Posted By: Nixer

Forty two years later... - 05/01/19 10:54 PM

I just passed my last final for my last class to finish my AA Degree! band

In 1977, I was a Buck Sergeant in the Third United States Armored Cavalry…
And I was good. I was good enough that I was exempted from extra duties and allowed to attend college classes in the evening. Well, life kinda got in the way…

I don’t have the certificate in my hands yet, and no I am NOT attending graduation, but I have completed the courses required, with a 3.1 GPA, to get my Associate of Arts Degree.

A few classes I HATED, and two professors (lower case on purpose) also. They teach you in Freshman Comp the P in professor MUST be capitalized. Show me one with a Purple Heart, Bronze Star and I’ll be a shift key cowboy.
I also had many more GREAT teachers who enjoyed students who asked questions and wanted to learn. I actually looked forward to preparing for and attending their classes.

Last class was Spanish II, online no less (babying my wheels). I only got a “C” last term with “in class” Spanish I, by the grace of my extremely attractive “Professora” I mean HOT! woot. For some reason I had my first perfect attendance record with her.

This time it was “do what you have to do to pass” online and I got a “B”…Go figure winkngrin

MY MBA sister asked last night if I now “hablo espanol”. (She lives in Texas and Hablos I guess). hahaha

I answered this AM and said,”NO!. But I know the important stuff. winkngrin

“Otra cerveza por favor chica bonita.”

“Aquí en América, hablamos Inglés.”

I knew both of those before I started college....

Persevere folks, persevere.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/01/19 11:58 PM

Well done sir !! smile
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 12:21 AM

Not attending graduation? Don't feel like paying for that cap and gown ? What about the all those great speeches that you will miss ?

Just kidding. Congrats dude ! Nicely done.
Posted By: piper

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 12:48 AM

Congratulations Nixer!!!! That's #%&*$# awesome!

Much respect for the work (and time) you had to put into that.
Hang that sheepskin proudly!
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 01:04 AM

Congratulations Nixer ! I remember when you were just getting started.
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 02:34 AM

You're inspirational Nixer, congrats. cheers

I'm waiting my turn...
https://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2011/rs/title17/rs17-1807/

==========
2011 Louisiana Laws
Revised Statutes
TITLE 17 — Education
RS 17:1807 — Persons over fifty-five; exemption from tuition; fifty percent reduction in cost of textbooks
==========
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 03:49 AM

Fifty percent off text books, huh. That will still cost you. LOL !. The college text book racket is still running strong. They must have a strong lobby group.
Posted By: Haggart

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 03:59 AM

Congrats Nixer ! My dad served 27 yrs in the Army and when he turned 50 he went to college for the first time and in two years he earned an associate degree in technical drafting
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by LB4LB
Fifty percent off text books, huh. That will still cost you. LOL !. The college text book racket is still running strong. They must have a strong lobby group.

Bah. Reading tigerdroppings.com (LSU board), seems some students today buy as few text books as possible (I wonder how that works).

The real potential problem is:

==========
C. The tuition exemption and reduction in textbook costs provided in this Section shall be provided only if and to the extent that there are sufficient funds appropriated by the legislature to reimburse the public college or university granting them.
==========

People have asked on tigerdroppings how they might enroll under the age 55+ provision and not pay a cent or even attend any classes. They want to be a student just long enough to purchase LSU football tickets at student rates before getting booted out. biggrin
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 10:12 AM

Congrats Nixer!
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 10:23 AM

Congratulations Nixer and I can always teach you Spanish if you are interested!

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by MarkG
[seems some students today buy as few text books as possible (I wonder how that works).

It depends a lot on what your major is. If your major is one of the social sciences/humanities like history, geography, English Literature, political science, etc. you can usually just get by with checking books out from a library or buying them from Amazon.

If you're a business major or science major the textbooks assigned are usually very specialized and you have to buy the assigned textbooks.

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 12:28 PM

Thanks for all the kind words folks. yep

Text books are indeed a racket, unbelievable prices. Once in awhile you get lucky and get a class with a free online component, but not very often.

In a couple of weeks I start my first classes towards a BAS in Management and Organizational Leadership. It's good to exercise that little cluster of functional brain cells methinks. I'll be into my seventies when I finish...hopefully.

I will miss the "scenery" of a campus, as this is an online degree.
Posted By: Haggart

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 12:32 PM

Free tuition for Nixer maybe

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nixer

I will miss the "scenery" of a campus, .

Looking back at my own college experience, the whole "scenery campus" thing was overrated. I lived at home while I was in college so I might have felt differently had I actually lived on campus.

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 12:37 PM

Not in Florida, at least not classes for credit.

Free for me though, Pell Grants.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 12:56 PM

Well done Nixer! I'd love to go back a few decades and revisit campus scenery..oh what different times it would be biggrin Have a good one mate and keep that brain rolling on!
Posted By: Bill_Grant

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 01:19 PM

That is excellent! I am happy for you!
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 01:49 PM

way to go Nixer
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 04:11 PM

Congratulations, Nixer!
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 04:58 PM

Congrats, Nixer.
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 06:34 PM

Congratulations, NIxer!
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/02/19 07:37 PM

Congratulations Nixer. thumbsup

Wheels
Posted By: JimK

Re: Forty two years later... - 05/03/19 02:38 AM

Awesome, way to go.

Close to embarking on the same journey. Just awaiting the cancer testing results before going to far. Have feeling its not good. Lost 30lbs since New years and
been really hard keeping any on with my job falling apart after 25 years. I guess 24 years of mowing and weed eating took its toll. Wanted to move out west. The
waiting really sucks. My employer put me on PTO and told me to not think about work. WOW, are they stupid. I live there, How do you take it out. Now you see
why I am also facing stage 3 Hypertension with BP running when after reading office emails runs about 225 over 128. Think want me to have a heart attack.
Had to put out recycling the other day, nobody showed to do my job, And tonight was trash night. Rotate Dumpsters over flowing. Not suppose to think about work
though.

Must keep reminding my self its almost over. I give.

More Power to You, you faced some Huge challenges to get where you are.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums