homepage

20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo

Posted By: Haggart

20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 04:34 AM

[Linked Image]
Andrea Norton, 20, was on a trip for her environmental science major when she fell to her death

[Linked Image]
Hawksbill Crag is a popular tourist attraction and scenic photo spot in Ozark National Forest

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/16/us/college-student-death-photo-trnd/index.html

Be it a cliff, a waterfall, dangerous trail or building or some other structure ...... if you fall you rarely get a second chance at life

Posted By: Blade_RJ

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 05:41 AM

so, did she get the shot ?
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Blade_RJ

Wow.

Her family thanks you for your concern.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 10:28 AM

I sometimes think Blade is a frequent LiveLeak poster.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 12:32 PM

Selfie deaths are on the increase every year and I don't expect that trend to change. Can't fix stupid.

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 12:35 PM

I just can't wrap my head around someone thinking that getting the perfect selfie photo is worth risking your life.
Posted By: DBond

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chucky
Selfie deaths are on the increase every year and I don't expect that trend to change. Can't fix stupid.

True, but could a generation raised with little consequence for their actions play a part?

I just can't wrap my head around someone thinking that getting the perfect selfie photo is worth risking your life.

I wonder if she even considered that was a possible consequence.

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by DBond

I wonder if she even considered that was a possible consequence.

Surely a 20 year old college student would be smart enough to realize that?

Actually...never mind.

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 01:04 PM

This is a sad thing, and by discussing it dispassionately I don't mean to downplay the tragedy.

I don't think it's a matter of 'smarts', but of a mindset that is insulated from danger, as her life may have been up to then. It's all speculation, but I base it on what I see, what I observe in young folks. We did stupid things when we were younger, and I am sure people of my parent's age thought WE were fools too. There have been times when I have known I was lucky to still be alive. Maybe it just takes experience? Sadly, some do not make it that far.

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 01:08 PM

In the case above she wasn't taking a selfie but was standing near the edge in a group of students - either way, the all too often tragic conclusion
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 01:35 PM

The area is within my local news range. A followup report said that she was attempting to jump from one rock to another. So it's probably a lot closer to things that we've all done. She just missed. Which we all could have done.
Posted By: Dart

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 02:21 PM

The only reason my generation didn't kill themselves taking selfies is because we lacked the technology to make the process viable.

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Haggart
In the case above she wasn't taking a selfie but was standing near the edge in a group of students - either way, the all too often tragic conclusion

Ok, correction noted. However, those students shouldn't have been that far out on the ledge in the first place. You leave very little margin for error when you go out that far.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dart
The only reason my generation didn't kill themselves taking selfies is because we lacked the technology to make the process viable.

Yeah, every generation of teenagers and twenty-somethings (and older) does a lot of stupid things. It’s a shame when someone doesn’t survive it to learn better like everyone here did.

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 02:48 PM

Perhaps a sign is needed ?

DANGER ! STAY 10 FEET AWAY FROM THE EDGE OF CLIFFS OR OVERLOOK - IF YOU DON'T AND YOU SLIP OR TRIP THERE IS A 95% CHANCE THAT TODAY WILL BE YOUR LAST !
Posted By: Dart

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 02:49 PM

The difference is that what would have been a very local story back then is now worldwide news.

[edit]

DANGER ! STAY 10 FEET AWAY FROM THE EDGE OF CLIFFS OR OVERLOOK - IF YOU DON'T AND YOU SLIP OR TRIP THERE IS A 95% CHANCE THAT TODAY WILL BE YOUR LAST !

Because signs always stopped young people from performing dangerous things.

[second edit]

There was an abandoned quarry near where I went to High School that had a sign that said "No jumping from sides of the quarry into the water!"

We took it as an invitation.
Posted By: rwatson

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 03:18 PM

LOL Dart we had a place like that when I was a kid,,an old collapsed bridge with some cement and re-bar under water,,Similar sign and we reacted the same but some one always called the Police and we catch h**l A few days later we were back at it again For us it was just a question of knowing where to aim when you jumped
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 03:21 PM

I went to high school with a kid who became paralyzed from jumping into the water from the side of a quarry. There were signs everywhere to stay out.

The death by selfie "thing" just seems to touch a nerve on the thinking that all this self absorption we see today is a really bad thing.
Posted By: Crane Hunter

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 04:02 PM

[Linked Image]

Charles Darwin likes this.
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Haggart

Nope, this tower at Fordham College was locked so kids wouldn't go up to take pictures, it didn't stop this girl who fell to her death...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fordha...tower-apparently-trying-to-snap-picture/

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 07:50 PM

No disrespect to Haggart intended, but signs won't work, for reasons already illustrated. I imagine that some folks take heed, and others choose to ignore. Wasn't it last year that a woman was killed by jetwash in the Caribbean while hanging on to a fence with a sign hung on it saying don't do this?

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/17/19 07:53 PM

It was two years ago and the sign wasn't hung on the fence. But it wouldn't have matter where it was displayed.

Attached picture 170714-airport-warning-sign-feature-image.jpg
Posted By: vonBaur

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/18/19 12:45 AM

It was two years ago and the sign wasn't hung on the fence. But it wouldn't have matter where it was displayed.

Of course the sign wasn't on the fence. That would have taken up valuable handhold space which keeps the tourists coming back.
Posted By: Meatsheild

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/18/19 04:46 AM

No disrespect to Haggart intended, but signs won't work, for reasons already illustrated. I imagine that some folks take heed, and others choose to ignore.

I actually work in a tourist attraction, i can confirm that the general public take absolutely no notice of signs, that's why if company's want to block and area off, its with physical barriers that give you no option and not just a sign.
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/18/19 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dart

Yes. I think our generation ( I'm 51) was more reality based, if that makes sense.

We did have a kid jump out of a tree, into a swimming hole we had. He broke his neck hitting bottom, and died immediately. To make the story worse, the swimming hole was at the bottom of a very steep hill. One of the Ambulance attendants died of a heart attack during the rescue attempt. Sad day for out small community.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/18/19 04:07 PM

That is sad WT.

Am almost a gen ahead of you WT and of the 5-600 kids I grew up with can't remember any fatalities from doing something stupid. We did some really stupid stuff. An example tho rather tame; tip a canoe deliberately in the middle of Mooney's Bay (almost 200 m to ether shore) and not wearing a life jacket (very early teens).
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/18/19 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
That is sad WT.

Am almost a gen ahead of you WT and of the 5-600 kids I grew up with can't remember any fatalities from doing something stupid. We did some really stupid stuff. An example tho rather tame; tip a canoe deliberately in the middle of Mooney's Bay (almost 200 m to ether shore) and not wearing a life jacket (very early teens).

Wow, that is crazy. 200 meters. I grew upon on Military bases, so our community size was very similar to yours.

My kids have had to deal with classmate suicides. It is so sad. 2 recent ones, both were only 14 yrs old.
Posted By: 462cid

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/18/19 09:18 PM

Wow. Way too soon to even think that one man. Everything she knew thought felt or could know or do is gone forever. bad enough it happens at 80.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 04/19/19 04:30 AM

Did a lot of stupid things in my teens but by 20 I was already working 80 to 100 hours a week. You work that many hours you tend to be too tired to do just about anything.
I do feel bad for her parents and the loss they are feeling at this time. You never expect for a child to pass away before you.

Wheels
Posted By: johnjake

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 11/26/19 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
That is sad WT.

Am almost a gen ahead of you WT and of the 5-600 kids I grew up with can't remember any fatalities from doing something stupid. We did some really stupid stuff. An example tho rather tame; tip a best canoe deliberately in the middle of Mooney's Bay (almost 200 m to ether shore) and not wearing a life jacket (very early teens).

I have a canoe rider and i have hobies cat 16'' that is lightweight. I have great experience of canoeing spent 5 year on canoeing but i don't compromise on safety arrangements. With great experience i do not ride on canoe without life jacket so i am
shocked that How you can ride on canoe without life jacket.......?
some places not allowed boating without life jacket due to safety arrangements.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: 20 Yr Old University Student Gets Too Close To Cliff Edge While Taking Her Photo - 11/27/19 01:13 AM

Don't agree with Blade much, but...this selfie stupidity is straight Darwinism.

Duhhhhhh...
© 2024 SimHQ Forums