homepage

DStT ??

Posted By: rwatson

DStT ?? - 03/16/19 06:04 PM

Just curious if anyone has opinions about leaving our clocks where they are and giving up the ols "Sping ahead fall back" thing I personally think it's a relic from the old days
Posted By: Nixer

Re: DStT ?? - 03/16/19 06:10 PM

As it is now.

edit: Meaning no fall back.
Posted By: Lieste

Re: DStT ?? - 03/16/19 06:52 PM

Just use Zulu/UTC time like your GPS does.
Posted By: 462cid

Re: DStT ?? - 03/16/19 07:19 PM

Sure, using Zulu time is fine, but you of course realize that your local banks, merchants, vendors, and your employer may not give a darnn about our personal choice; not only will they not understand you've made such a choice, they will not care a teensy bit when you tell them.
Posted By: Stormtrooper

Re: DStT ?? - 03/16/19 07:27 PM

I'm not a big fan and with most businesses being 24hr or close to 24hr operations it defeats the original purpose.

Re: DStT ?? - 03/16/19 07:36 PM

Never understood the purpose myself, as far as 20th century use. We have electrical lights in countries that use it; and animals and crops don't care one way r another. The 2007 change in the USA always struck me as questionable at best and political BS at worst. If I'm getting up when it's darker to go to work, I have to use the lights, just like I would if I was up an hour later, and was using the lights before I went to bed!
Posted By: Meatsheild

Re: DStT ?? - 03/16/19 08:51 PM

i know its more poorly implemented in the states than over here, but i personally think that if people put as much effort into moaning about more important things then a lot more would be done. Its just pressing a few buttons these days, heck most clocks do it themselves now!

Re: DStT ?? - 03/16/19 08:54 PM

Doesn't take much effort to say "I don't like it". Not following you here.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: DStT ?? - 03/16/19 09:16 PM

An “extra hour of daylight” is far more useful to me in the afternoon, after I get out of work, than it is in the morning. I say don’t fall back.
Posted By: Blade_RJ

Re: DStT ?? - 03/17/19 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by 462cid
Never understood the purpose myself, as far as 20th century use. We have electrical lights in countries that use it; and animals and crops don't care one way r another. The 2007 change in the USA always struck me as questionable at best and political BS at worst. If I'm getting up when it's darker to go to work, I have to use the lights, just like I would if I was up an hour later, and was using the lights before I went to bed!

also in places that are hot, that just mean the air conditioner will be turner soooner and longer. and since now a days everyone has AC, it problably waste more energy then saves
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: DStT ?? - 03/17/19 02:41 PM

I like daylight savings time. I wish it stayed this way year round.
Posted By: Ssnake

Re: DStT ?? - 03/17/19 08:20 PM

The sentiment seems to vary a lot with the latitude of your place of residence. The farther up north, the bigger the practical effects. In Georgia it hardly matters. Leaving the clock permanently on summer time isn't much fun in Scandinavian winters. I'm not a big fan of the clock shifts either but I've learned to respect that it's a relatively practical adaptation to changes in daylight patterns. Shifting the clock is a bit onf a nuisance, but I can see how keeping it permanently on normal time wouldn't be so great in summer, and keeping it always on summer time will have drawbacks in winter. So, unless we can righten the earth's rotational axis by some 23°, it's "pick your poison". No matter which solution you pick, there will be some people worse off.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: DStT ?? - 03/17/19 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ssnake
The sentiment seems to vary a lot with the latitude of your place of residence. The farther up north, the bigger the practical effects. In Georgia it hardly matters. Leaving the clock permanently on summer time isn't much fun in Scandinavian winters. I'm not a big fan of the clock shifts either but I've learned to respect that it's a relatively practical adaptation to changes in daylight patterns. Shifting the clock is a bit onf a nuisance, but I can see how keeping it permanently on normal time wouldn't be so great in summer, and keeping it always on summer time will have drawbacks in winter. So, unless we can righten the earth's rotational axis by some 23°, it's "pick your poison". No matter which solution you pick, there will be some people worse off.

+1
Posted By: coasty

Re: DStT ?? - 03/17/19 10:18 PM

we work by the sun time more than clock time with our mowing business. when I lived in Duluth summer was light still when I went to bed and in the winter it was dark when I went to work and dark when I got home.
Posted By: DaveP63

Re: DStT ?? - 03/17/19 10:47 PM

Hate it.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: DStT ?? - 03/18/19 01:30 AM

I hate it and it’s not healthy to throw your sleep habits off like that IMO. Takes me longer and longer to adapt the older I get. I prefer to stay on the fall/winter time, it just fits with my mental schedule better. I have a hard time getting to sleep at a decent hour on this shift.
Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Re: DStT ?? - 03/18/19 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ssnake

Not really, the further north you get the less it matters. When the sun isn't above the horizon for 2 months it doesn't matter when sunrise/set is. And when it is up all night anyways in summer it's the same.

We just want to stop the useless motion of turning the clocks back and forth. Pick one (I don't care which one) and stick with it.

The EU was about to do it's only useful act in 20 years and do just that, but backtracked at the last moment (as usual). frown

Re: DStT ?? - 03/19/19 10:23 PM

I don't see the issue in equatorial or very extreme latitudes.

But I can't agree that because somebody in Scandinavia experiences a weird local time regarding sun set and sunrise, that means the rest of the word is stuck with the schedule that suits that country.

In the USA, at least in the 48 contiguous, this idea has got to go one way or the other and stay there. It's a pointless case of going through the motions.
Posted By: Zamzow

Re: DStT ?? - 03/23/19 12:43 AM

The only issue whatsoever I've ever had with DST is losing an hour of sleep upon the switch, BUT that is offset by the extra hour of sleep on the "fall back".
© 2024 SimHQ Forums