homepage

Game of Thrones fans

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Game of Thrones fans - 03/05/19 07:52 PM

Official trailer for the final season!!! This will be epic.

Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/05/19 07:58 PM

Nope. No spoilers.

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/05/19 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Nope. No spoilers.

Amazingly there are no spoilers.
Posted By: Meatsheild

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/05/19 08:27 PM

i've not seen a single episode .... dont intend to start with the last season :P
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/05/19 08:35 PM

Can't wait to watch this, wife and I were late to the party. Kept telling myself I had no interest, finally gave in and watched a few and that's all it took.
Posted By: bones

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/05/19 08:42 PM

I'm kinda sad to see it go.

v6,
boNes
Posted By: JimK

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/05/19 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Meatsheild
i've not seen a single episode .... dont intend to start with the last season :P

Same. Don`t have HBO, we get Showtime.
Posted By: letterboy1

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/05/19 08:55 PM

All good things must come to an end, but I look forward to seeing this end. I'll take the melancholy aspect with it. Yes, I am stoked. At least this end will have several episodes. Oohhhhhh please let it go well for Arya, she's my favorite! smile
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/05/19 09:04 PM

I was convinced I wouldn't enjoy this series as I don't really like fantasy type settings. After 1 episode I binge watched the lot.

Another one here rooting for Arya and Needle.
Posted By: Ssnake

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/05/19 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by bones
I'm kinda sad to see it go.

TBH, while I'm looking forward to the new season, the last two dropped markedly in quality. The first times we saw plot armor in action in that series, which I found going against everything that G.R.R. Martin stands for, from the point of dramaturgy. You don't want your hero to die? Don't get him into a situation where death is pretty much guaranteed. You're the writer, you're in control of that.
Fake tension belongs to lesser productions. If someone wearing considerable armor falls into a deep river, there's just no way how he'll get back to the surface, period. If you fall into the water in arctic sub-zero temperatures, possibly magically amplified due to, well, blue-skinned frost zombies, you're dead within ten to thirty minutes. You can be awesome as much as you want, hypothermia will get everybody. You're surrounded by a pack of hungry monster wolves? They will rip you apart, period. You run into a totally obvious trap during a certain battle of bastards? YOU WILL DIE, and you deserve no better fate. All that from the last season.
Seriously, you had five seasons to learn from the best screenwriter of our times, and the moment you go beyond his writings, the wheels are coming off?
That clearly shows who is a master of this art, and who doesn't understand the fundamental principles of the source material he's working with.

ONE miraculous survival I could live with in a Game of Thrones season (ideally however just once or less in the whole series). But four just in the last season alone?
If that's setting the standard for the last season, ending the series will be for the better.
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/05/19 10:21 PM

I watched the first episode. When I realized the guy was doggy styling his sister, I knew it was not a show for me.
Posted By: Lieste

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/05/19 10:30 PM

We know that (some) knights practised swimming in white harness, as well as scaling ladders from the underside and other seemingly unlikely feats. Many of these have been replicated (although acknowledged as ridiculously hard) by modern experimental archaeology.

Now I would drown if I fell in river in any kind of clothing - but that is no reason to deny the possibility if we know they are dedicated to physical training in harness, including such feats of arms.

Hypothermia is a killer though, and there are many other places where plot armour or 'magik' saves people when it makes no sense for the HBO-ised story, and a few in the books too.

Much of what is in the books is more or less tightly based on British history from around the Wars of the Roses, with some flavoursome tidbits from earlier periods and other places in Europe if they were spicy enough. Some of the 'unlikely' occurrences sans-magic come from this palette of 'history with possible exaggeration'**. Of course dragons, white walkers, decades long winters and magic don't fall into these themes and are a source for some of the stuff which makes no sense (such as a ridiculous 700ft ice wall ~ when a 70ft or a 14ft one would have been more practical and just as effective with it's 'magic ward' to defend against the dead, and effective enough to work against the wildlings.

**Remembering that history is filled with many great liars... Copernicus, Goebbels, St. Ralph the Liar.
Posted By: Meatsheild

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/06/19 12:11 AM

..so i googled "white harness" to get an idea of what you were talking about .. no wonder they could swim just fine!! rofl

and climbing a ladder and swimming with about 60lbs of weight attached all over your body are totally separate things, it doesn't matter if the weight is metal or sand, as a suit or in a backpack, your going to the bottom with that amount on you.

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/06/19 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lieste
We know that (some) knights practised swimming in white harness, ... and other seemingly unlikely feats. Many of these have been replicated (although acknowledged as ridiculously hard) by modern experimental archaeology.

Well, in this case it involved a one-handed guy with a bronze replica hand, wearing a hardened leather cuirass with metal applique, still wearing sword, and heavy boots. The guy pulling him out of the water is wearing a long leather coat, heavy boots, leather trousers. And not only do they not fall into shallow water, we see him unsuccessfully struggling with his armor trying to get it off as he's continuously sinking deeper and deeper, and then they get out of the water a few hundred meters away from where they fell into it.

I'm sorry to say it, but your example fails to convince me that it is applicable to this scene.

If both had come up without all the heavy garment and boots I would be willing to overlook the long distance from the attack site as a means to have the dialog undisturbed from other people, flailing their arms while on fire and the associated screaming that tends to ruin the quiet moment that the two are having. As it was, they created a cheap cliffhanger at the end of one episode, and an entirely implausible resolution in the next one. And even that I might be forgiving if this wasn't supposed to be Game of Thrones, where the rule established in about 64 previous episodes was that if your character gets into an unwinnable situation, well, he will lose. You don't want him to lose, be more careful when writing up his confrontation. Like, don't try to backstab a flying dragon with a ballista, which already was over the top silly in The Gamers - and that was a a role-playing fan-film parody.

"It's Fantasy" is no defense, because of the established dramaturgical principles of the previous six and a half seasons. You don't create a massive hit based on such core tenets in storytelling, and then do a 180° and expect me to accept it at face value. If you don't know the full story (and at this point, only those involved with the production do), and you're watching this for the first time, part of the excitement is that you have a number of worthy characters, and neither the best nor the most relatable characters were, up to this point, guaranteed to make it to the end of the story. I will concede that as the story is drawing to a close, the herd of characters has been thinned so much by now that it's beginning to show who will most likely be among the survivors at the end. Nevertheless, these four incidents were massive spoilers, and unprovoked storytelling mistakes.
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/06/19 03:23 PM

I agree that once the series "passed the books" the quality was not the same. I'm hoping that the last season will be better. I want to see four things:

Tyrion's survival
Cersei's head or guts spilled
The Clegane brother's faceoff "Clegane bowl"
Arya gets to finish her list AND walk out alive.

The rest can work out how it may and , given the twists that the story has taken, I think we can be sure that the ending will not be " everyone lived happily ever after"

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/06/19 04:47 PM

My prediction: Arya kills Cersei in the shape of her brother.

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/06/19 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ssnake

I like that!! I could see it happening. A long delayed revenge for the death of her father.
Posted By: semmern

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/06/19 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

I like that!! I could see it happening. A long delayed revenge for the death of her father.

That would indeed be great, but I actually think it will be Jaime himself who finally finishes her off.
Or maybe she will become a blue-eyed ice queen wink

Hoping for Clegane vs Clegane as well!

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/06/19 10:36 PM

Okay, I'll put in with this lot! biggrin As long as Arya is kicking it, I'm in! smile

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/06/19 10:41 PM

By the way, I know I might be in for a disappointment if Arya dies because it won't be the first time I got mad in GoT . . . #Red Wedding
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/06/19 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by JimK

Same. Don`t have HBO, we get Showtime.

You don't have to, just wait for the season to be over and subscribe to the HBO streaming app. Watch over a month and cancel. That's what we'll likely do. Get to watch season 2 of West World at the same time. Easily worth a few bucks for one month. Doing the same for CBS and the Star Trek show.

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/06/19 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by letterboy1
By the way, I know I might be in for a disappointment if Arya dies because it won't be the first time I got mad in GoT . . . #Red Wedding

The Red Wedding was upsetting to me but it still wasn’t on the same level as Shireen and what her own father did to her. I’m glad Stannis got the sharp end of Brienne’s sword!

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/07/19 12:14 AM

Not only that.
There's also the prophecy that "her brother will kill her" which she always seems to have projected on Tyrion.

So far all the prophecies in the series have become true, but of course they might change that just this time, or Tyrion might succeed (albeit, probably, indirectly), or yes, it could be Jamie himself. But then much of Arya's story arc of becoming a magically enhanced assassin wouldn't make as much sense. So, strictly from a storytelling perspective this appears to be the most attractive option, at least to me. Jamie would be the best option to bypass palace security, so it's a rather obvious choice for any shape-shifting assassin. Even though he seems to have developed second thoughts about his terrible sister, and there is the pretext of him having already killed another ruler before her for the sake of King's Landing's citizenry, I don't see his reason overcoming the rather obvious emotional hurdles. But then again, this is Cersei. We have no idea how many more mistakes she might be making in the remaining episodes but so far her ability to make mistakes appeared without bounds.

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/08/19 07:16 PM

I wouldn't mind Sansa killing Cersei due to her having to put up with her #%&*$# son--though his death was fitting as was, but as much as we'd like to see her die, I'd almost rather see her rot with the white walkers for all of eternity than be given the dignity of a proper death. Besides, it is hard to top Tywin dying on the loo. I liked him, too. In a weird way. Cersei is the devil. Might as well let her dance with the demons, except she's not dancing, but being danced around. Perhaps made into a white walker and kept as a circus freak made to to do tricks at carnivals, always knowing of the throne she had lost, but forever unable to communicate her thoughts and ideas, nor her true identity to the rest of the world, too.

The icing on the cake would be she bore one last child, and that child came across her some day and spat on her, treating her like gutter trash.

She doesn't deserve a clean death, not after what she's done, even if she endured hell for some of her mistakes already.

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/08/19 07:27 PM

I liked him, too. In a weird way. .

Same here. It's just that Charles Dance is such a charismatic actor that you can't help but like him regardless of whether he's a good guy or bad guy.

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/08/19 07:42 PM

Maybe Arya could become Cersei, and have a throne fashioned from Cersei's bones...

That would be cool.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/08/19 09:07 PM

I liked him, too. In a weird way. .

Same here. It's just that Charles Dance is such a charismatic actor that you can't help but like him regardless of whether he's a good guy or bad guy.

I wouldn’t say Tywin was good or bad, he simply did whatever he thought was in House Lannister’s best interests regardless of the consequences for others. He was more amoral than immoral.
Posted By: semmern

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/10/19 12:13 AM

Will be interesting to see what comes of the zombie dragon vs living dragons encounter. I guess this will finally become A Song of Ice and Fire wink
Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 03/10/19 12:31 AM

GoT has hijacked HBO Signature in Asia.
Never enjoyed the series, they are now trying real hard to bore me to death. GoT is always on, any time of day and night.
We also have Behind the Scenes ZZZZZzzzzz....

Mind you, probably nothing to do with GoT in particular. I have the attention span of a goldfish when it comes to TV.
TV Series spanning over multiple seasons, no way, with the exception of BOBs and very early BBT.

Cheers,
Slug
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 05/01/19 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by WangoTango

I watched the first episode. When I realized the guy was doggy styling his sister, I knew it was not a show for me.

Is that the pic I keep seeing of this blond chick being tapped from behind by some monster looking dude? Cute girl, can't tell from her expression if he's really big or playing the back nine. Maybe both. biggrin

I don't know anything about this show except I know it's really popular (obvious by the other thread). A couple of Sundays or so ago my wife and I enjoyed a fancy-dancy dinner (courtesy of her company, $150.00/ticket) among at least 200 people to celebrate a fully re-modeled Victorian-styled bed and breakfast about 30 min. north of us (the renovation was covered on some Bravo TV show)...
https://stfrancisvilleinn.com/

Incidently it's where we spent our honeymoon in '88 (too broke to travel), place now has even greater charm. Anyway, on more than one occasion I overheard people talking about this show and one couple sitting at our table left early (skipping an excellent dessert) because they didn't have DVR and wanted to watch it. Crazy if you ask me, skipping a free gourmet dessert to watch TV? No freaking way. biggrin

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 05/01/19 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by MarkG

Crazy if you ask me, skipping a free gourmet dessert to watch TV? No freaking way. biggrin

Did you watch the Lord of the Rings movies? If you did and you enjoyed them, I highly recommend GOT. At least give the first season a shot to see if you like it.
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 05/01/19 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by MarkG

Crazy if you ask me, skipping a free gourmet dessert to watch TV? No freaking way. biggrin

Did you watch the Lord of the Rings movies? If you did and you enjoyed them, I highly recommend GOT. At least give the first season a shot to see if you like it.

No, but it's on my to-do list. smile Love the song (don't know if it's related)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmc1bjLKVyQ

Lyrics...

All hail to the Lords of the Ring
To the magic and mystery they bring
To the music in their story

To the lands of ancient glory

In the year of the Lords
The message came from above
The heavens opened with their mighty sound
that shook the people in the town

And so we came from everywhere
The young and old the rich and poor
To hear the legend of the magic ring
and of the powers it could bring, they sing

To the music in their story
To the magic and mystery it brings
May we someday wear its glory

And now the message is clear
For I became a Lord this year
And though the legend was pure fantasy
We still need the hope it brings, so let's sing

To believe is a wonderous thing
May we always sing their glory

To the promise of their story
Posted By: Spidey

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 05/02/19 12:17 AM

Man...I like Arya. She's definitely my favorate character. Both in the books and in the show. Definitely glad she was the one that delivered the killing blow.

That being said...that was a horrible horrible episode. Where is there any thought put into any battle strategy etc., Battle of Blackwater for example, you get why they won. Here it was pretty much....welp we are Fked...but here co es Arya to save the day. I feel like its lazy writing.

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 05/02/19 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Spidey

That being said...that was a horrible horrible episode. Where is there any thought put into any battle strategy etc., Battle of Blackwater for example, you get why they won. Here it was pretty much....welp we are Fked...but here co es Arya to save the day. I feel like its lazy writing.

I've mentioned before the bone-headed cavalry charge by the Dothraki but one mega-fan at work tried to explain to me that the Dothraki had never, ever experienced losing a battle before so therefore they were too blinded by their over-confidence to see how utterly deadly and different the white walker army was from anything else they had encountered before.

Ok,I can buy that to some extent but shouldn't have Sir Jorah known better??
Posted By: Spidey

Re: Game of Thrones fans - 05/02/19 11:53 AM

I am pretty sure Dothraki has been crushed before. This final Dothraki army is not even the initial Dothraki Dany had.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums