homepage

I've decided to read the entire Wikipedia article for all 50 states, then every country in the world

Posted By: Zamzow

I've decided to read the entire Wikipedia article for all 50 states, then every country in the world - 02/25/19 02:21 AM

I just did my own state and my family origin state and learned things I never knew.

Light bulb went off in my head - as an American I should do this with them all...

I'm going to just do one per day, and keep track on a piece of paper.

Then another light bulb went off - after this I ought to continue with every single COUNTRY in the world! Again, just one a day (or more if the article is short).

I KNOW I'm going to enjoy this, and I wish I'd come up with the idea sooner!

Posted By: Haggart

Re: I've decided to read the entire Wikipedia article for all 50 states, then every country in the world - 02/25/19 02:47 AM

So you're doing a family history study such as Ancestry.com ?
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: I've decided to read the entire Wikipedia article for all 50 states, then every country in the world - 02/25/19 04:01 AM

Let me know when you read the Wiki articles for Liechtenstein and Andorra. I’m sure those will be fascinating.

Re: I've decided to read the entire Wikipedia article for all 50 states, then every country in the world - 02/25/19 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Haggart
So you're doing a family history study such as Ancestry.com ?

No, I just realized there's a lot of information in those articles that goes far beyond what I learned in school (college included). My motivation to post the plan here was to inspire anyone who might want to do something similar.

Re: I've decided to read the entire Wikipedia article for all 50 states, then every country in the world - 02/25/19 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Let me know when you read the Wiki articles for Liechtenstein and Andorra. I’m sure those will be fascinating.

Well Andorra would be 52 days from now. No idea about Liechtenstein.
Posted By: semmern

Re: I've decided to read the entire Wikipedia article for all 50 states, then every country in the world - 02/25/19 05:07 PM

How will you do it? Alphabetically or just pick one on the map?

Let me know if you learn anything interesting about Norway wink
Posted By: Nixer

Re: I've decided to read the entire Wikipedia article for all 50 states, then every country in the world - 02/25/19 05:28 PM

Don't forget the US Territories...

Re: I've decided to read the entire Wikipedia article for all 50 states, then every country in the world - 02/25/19 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by semmern

Have you contributed to the Wiki page for Norway? smile

Re: I've decided to read the entire Wikipedia article for all 50 states, then every country in the world - 02/25/19 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by semmern
How will you do it? Alphabetically or just pick one on the map?

US states alphabetically, but you raise an interesting idea - maybe with countries I'll go border by border within each continent, might be more "relevancy ties" that way...

Re: I've decided to read the entire Wikipedia article for all 50 states, then every country in the world - 02/25/19 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nixer
Don't forget the US Territories...

Good tip, actually hadn't thought of that...

Also makes me realize Antarctica will be on this list...
Posted By: Vaderini

Re: I've decided to read the entire Wikipedia article for all 50 states, then every country in the world - 02/25/19 08:21 PM

I recommend Google Translating the history of other countries from their native languages, the english Wikipedia articles about the history of non-english countries is often quite barebones and without some interesting tidbits.
For example, I just learned that in 1945, the 1st Russian Army in Wehrmacht Service surrendered to Liechtenstein, and even though they were pressurized by the Soviet Union to give the prisoners to them, they did not do so and gave asylum for all that wanted. smile

Re: I've decided to read the entire Wikipedia article for all 50 states, then every country in the world - 02/25/19 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Vaderini
I recommend Google Translating the history of other countries from their native languages, the english Wikipedia articles about the history of non-english countries is often quite barebones and without some interesting tidbits.
For example, I just learned that in 1945, the 1st Russian Army in Wehrmacht Service surrendered to Liechtenstein, and even though they were pressurized by the Soviet Union to give the prisoners to them, they did not do so and gave asylum for all that wanted. smile

It should be "pressured" not "pressurized". Pressurized is what happens to steam, water or a gas. wink

Anyway, I bet that surrendering army increased Liechtenstein's native population by a significant degree! Those soldiers were extremely lucky they didn't end up in a Siberian gulag which would have been their fate had they been returned to the USSR.
Posted By: rollnloop.

Re: I've decided to read the entire Wikipedia article for all 50 states, then every country in the world - 02/25/19 09:31 PM

There's a movie about this event, saw it, just can't remember the title.

Re: I've decided to read the entire Wikipedia article for all 50 states, then every country in the world - 02/26/19 01:57 AM

So I "started" tonight with Alabama (as mentioned prior I already did my own state and family origin state yesterday).

Incredibly informative. Their state constitution is messed up! They really (in a different way) have way more in common with California than I'd have ever thought - such a beautiful state, and such messed up government...

And I never knew they have the most confirmed F5 tornadoes - I'd have thought that would be somewhere in the midwest. Just tons of things I didn't expect.

Anyway not to go WCE, and I'm not going to post a daily report on all this, but wow, this is going to be a fun journey...

It's also going to be more time intensive than I thought. Tons of information. Already learned to make a rule: NO clicking on sub-links!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums