homepage

Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship

Posted By: F4UDash4

Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 02/09/19 03:03 PM

Interesting video if you have an interest in engineering, materials etc....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AcE7hBhpYU
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 02/09/19 03:32 PM

Great video. My experience with engineering ( as opposed to pure science ) is that engineering is all about making mistakes and learning from them
Posted By: adlabs6

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 02/09/19 03:38 PM

Interesting, thanks.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 09/29/19 06:15 PM

Condensed from Musks' full presentation last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTPYUox41bU
Posted By: Haggart

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 09/29/19 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by No105_Archie
Great video. My experience with engineering ( as opposed to pure science ) is that engineering is all about making mistakes and learning from them

I wanna know if I regularly drive over any bridges you've built biggrin

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 09/30/19 12:13 AM

Didn't build bridges ...but had my hand in a lot of buildings wink

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 09/30/19 04:12 PM

Elon Musk, Man of Steel, reveals his stainless Starship

In the spring of 2014, I visited the Michoud Assembly Facility, based in Southern Louisiana. Already, technicians were building barrels for the Space Launch System rocket's core stage. And NASA was investing tens of millions of dollars to modernize Michoud to produce the rocket. At the time, an aerospace analyst for the Rand Corporation, Peter Wilson, explained that, "They’re throwing the money into this program, into places like Michoud, to make it very expensive to change course."

NASA has not changed course. And after at least 5.5 years, during which time NASA has spent more than $10 billion on the SLS rocket, they are finally almost done assembling that first core stage, consisting of two large fuel tanks, four main engines, and all of a rocket's associated plumbing.

One answer to the question of why this has taken so long, and required so much money, is that there has been a lack of urgency. Large complex development programs—like, say, super heavy lift rockets—work best with low levels of funding during the design phase, a spike during development, and then diminished funding during flight production. Instead, after Congress created the SLS rocket program with a baseline of about $2 billion a year, it kept funding at, more or less, flat levels plus inflation. This is a great strategy for creating and sustaining jobs, but it's a poor way to go about rocket development.

SpaceX's Starship prototype, fabricated in a field in South Texas in five months, offers a counter example. It's what a sense of urgency can accomplish.

The SLS rocket core stage, consisting of four space shuttle main engines, measures 64.6 meters tall, with a diameter of 8.4 meters. The Starship Mk1 vehicle is 50.0 meters tall, with a diameter of 9.1 meters. So they are roughly the same size. Neither is the complete rocket. On the launch pad, the SLS will have two very large side-mounted solid-rocket boosters, derived from the space shuttle. And Starship is actually the upper stage of SpaceX's next-generation rocket, Super Heavy.

By itself, the SLS core stage cannot get to orbit. In fact, according to physicist Scott Manley, without its side-mounted boosters a fully fueled SLS core stage cannot even lift off the launch pad. The SpaceX Starship prototype, with three Raptor engines instead of a full complement of six, also cannot get to orbit. But it should be able to reach at least 25 to 30km, said Manley, who has a popular rocket science YouTube channel.

The SLS rocket remains a couple of years from its maiden flight. Starship, however, will likely make a 20km flight in November, Musk said.

Perhaps the biggest difference between the two new rockets is the velocity of their development. The SLS core stage, which uses heritage technology from the space shuttle, including its main engines, has taken at least 5.5 years to build, and billions of dollars.

Starship Mk 1 didn't even exist until this spring, and it may leap off the pad before year's end. This appears to underscore the value of urgency and clarity of purpose. At SpaceX the urging comes from the top. As Musk said of schedules on Saturday night, "tight is right, long is wrong." And Starship has a clear exploration purpose as well, allowing humans to settle other worlds, and fuel optimism in humanity's future.

Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 10/30/19 03:20 PM

Some very interesting observations about SpaceX / StarShip: The SpaceX Starship is a very big deal
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 10/30/19 05:40 PM

A space elevator is the potential end game. Once we have one of these and the requisite "geostationary" orbital counterweight platform, fueling up these starships from orbit will be relatively easy.

Relatively.

Pumping all that fuel up into space won't be without challenges and difficulties. But it'll be better than burning fuel to put more fuel into orbit.

That is, until we perfect some propulsion methods that don't require liquid fuel for travel to the Moon, Mars and beyond.

This is all barring our discovery of a better solution to arrive in orbit and beyond. If we were to unlock the secrets of the Higgs boson sooner, perhaps we'd be countering gravity with massless craft, defying all logic and reason, entering space with little to no effort, or through other exotic avenues. Until then, think elevators.

Regardless, Starship is pretty #%&*$# cool. Nice blog, btw.
Posted By: Genbrien

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 10/30/19 06:24 PM

IMO we gotta clear a tons of space debris before we get something like a space elevator

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 10/30/19 07:26 PM

Yeah, that orbital counterweight would have to be a doozy (as in, a LOTTA mass)... and coming up with an elevator connection that could stand up to the various physical challenges... It's going to be a long time, if ever, before that comes to pass.
Posted By: Ssnake

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 10/31/19 08:23 AM

A long linear accelerator going up some mountain flank might be a more practical (intermediary?) solution than an elevator.

An elevator might be a much more practical thing to build on the moon.
Mars OTOH has Phobos on a collision course, not ideal. Phobos would have to be moved out of the way, one way ot the other.
Posted By: wormfood

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 11/01/19 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Genbrien
IMO we gotta clear a tons of space debris before we get something like a space elevator

Police that trash https://terminallance.com/2018/06/19/space-lance-1-the-final-frontier/

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 11/07/19 08:04 PM

Elon Musk says SpaceX’s Starship could fly for as little as $2 million per launch

"Musk said that fuel costs for the Starship should be around $900,000 per launch, and that once you factor in operational costs, it’ll probably add up to around $2 million per use. That’s “much less than even a tiny rocket,” Musk added, explaining why he views it as “imperative” that this launch system needs to be made."

Even if he's off by a factor of 10 ($20 million) or 50 ($100 million) it's still a game changer.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 11/21/19 12:59 AM

SpaceX Starship prototype suffers testing mishap in Texas, video shows

Event happens at about 3:27 PM on the video. Blew the forward bulkhead off and produced a rip down the side of the vehicle near the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d8l_0w2VKM

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 11/22/19 09:22 PM

SpaceX has lost its first Starship prototype—is this a big deal?

"The key to grasping why SpaceX can afford an accident like this is to understand its iterative design philosophy. Under this approach to the design of spaceflight hardware, the company builds vehicles, tests them, and flies them as quickly as possible. And if they fail, as often happens, SpaceX fixes them. This is especially true of the Starship program in which teams of SpaceX engineers in Texas and Florida are separately building prototypes of Starship to learn from them and then improve the design in subsequent versions.

The nomenclature SpaceX uses is "Mark," as in the vehicle the that was severely damaged Wednesday was Mark 1, with Mark 2 being built in Florida, and work already beginning on Mark 3 in Texas. It is possible this "Mark 3" vehicle will fly into orbit sometime in 2020.

This "fail early, fail forward" strategy allows a company to move more quickly and improve its design along the way. It also results in public failures, such as the all-explodey rocket Wednesday. This cannot exactly strengthen customer confidence in Starship, but given that failures are baked into the development process, it does not diminish Starship's overall prospects."

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 03/01/20 01:24 PM

Another prototype gone... build, test, fail, repeat...

SpaceX's Starship SN1 prototype appears to burst during pressure test
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 03/01/20 10:38 PM

Unfortunate, but I really hope they iron out the kinks and get to where they're trying to go.

But with two failed prototypes, I have to wonder whether or not their engineering team is making enough effort to account for all the possible variables, using information gleaned from previous space program development.
Posted By: Master

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 03/01/20 10:48 PM

Supposedly they changed the way they weld the seams on the top but the bottom was welded with the old method and they expected it to fail because of the old welds. The next one should be 100% new weld method... (it will probably also explode lol)

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 03/01/20 11:17 PM

SpaceX will learn more from these physical tests than months/years of computer modeling and it will probably be cheaper as well. Thus far the vast majority of people who have second guessed Musk's ways of doing things at SpaceX or Tesla etc. have ended up wrong.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 03/05/20 06:55 PM

An excellent read:
Inside Elon Musk’s plan to build one Starship a week—and settle Mars
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 03/05/20 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by CyBerkut

Good article and in addition to the daunting technical challenges of a manned Mars mission and settlement, I will be most curious to see the legal and social ramifications of establishing settlements on Mars.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 03/05/20 09:33 PM

Many have questioned how Musk will pay for this. Well I've seen estimates that he will make billions from his satellite internet service, some have said he is likely to surpass Jeff Bezos as the richest man in the world in a matter of months!

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 03/05/20 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by CyBerkut

Great article, thanks!

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 03/06/20 06:16 PM

Yes, it appears that the satellite internet service will be the key to sustained future funding for SpaceX's pursuit of Mars.

It occurs to me that pretty much everything that Elon Musk has his hand in these days has potential impact on getting to and colonizing Mars. While SpaceX is obvious, Tesla's electric vehicle, battery and solar technology advances will also obviously play into it. The Artificial Intelligence applicability is pretty much a no-brainer (pun intended). The neural net research could help also. Even the Boring Company technology is likely to be useful, as getting below Mars surface is the easiest way to have enough shielding from radiation hazards.

I avoid idolizing people, but I will say that I have an immense amount of respect for Musk. After decades of humanity languishing in low earth orbit (to borrow a phrase from Buzz Aldrin), I am really hoping that Musk can pull this grand scheme off.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 03/08/20 05:29 PM

Apparently another way Musk is set to potentially make even more money that he can then pour into whatever other endeavor he chooses to is in auto insurance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn58tQJjC5w

I had never considered this aspect of the value of the data Tesla vehicles collect.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 03/10/20 09:14 PM

SpaceX raises $500 million for Starship, twice the amount planned

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 03/11/20 04:58 PM

Ten days after SN1 failed its pressure test SN2 passes, this is how progress is made.

SpaceX's latest Starship prototype passes big tank pressure test

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 03/11/20 07:18 PM

This his how engineering has been done "for ever" build what you think will work, test it, if it breaks , fix the thing that broke and test it again smile

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 04/28/20 11:32 AM

Starship prototype clears cryogenic pressure test

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 04/28/20 12:57 PM

I will be most curious to see the legal and social ramifications of establishing settlements on Mars.

Indeed it will be interesting . I would expect that unless somebody else can get there at the same time it will be similar to 15th century exploration.... i.e. "finders keepers"

No doubt the US, Russia, China etc will all make a lot of noise but in reality if Musk can keep control of his funds he will effectively be "king of Mars". Not much different than how kings originated
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 04/28/20 01:07 PM

I would expect that unless somebody else can get there at the same time it will be similar to 15th century exploration.... i.e. "finders keepers"

I like this analogy and of course one critical difference with Mars is that there is no indigenous life there so no need to worry about those pesky things like displacing native populations or killing off native populations by exposing them to diseases they had never been exposed to before. wink

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 04/28/20 02:12 PM

Excellent news!

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 04/28/20 02:16 PM

I will be most curious to see the legal and social ramifications of establishing settlements on Mars.

Indeed it will be interesting . I would expect that unless somebody else can get there at the same time it will be similar to 15th century exploration.... i.e. "finders keepers"

No doubt the US, Russia, China etc will all make a lot of noise but in reality if Musk can keep control of his funds he will effectively be "king of Mars". Not much different than how kings originated

Well, if he wants to be king of Mars, he probably ought to pursue establishing some SpaceX launch sites outside of the U.S. Otherwise, U.S. regulatory agencies could put a short leash upon him/SpaceX.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 04/28/20 07:30 PM

As I said " IF Musk can keep control of his funds " He's a smart guy. You never know what he has up his sleeve

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 04/28/20 08:55 PM

As I said " IF Musk can keep control of his funds " He's a smart guy. You never know what he has up his sleeve

He has created opportunities for multiple revenue streams, especially the satellite ISP business that is just now getting started. It is projected to make him billions.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 04/29/20 10:51 AM

I don't think he will have much trouble controlling his funds. The FCC and/or FAA/NASA could adversely impact his operations if they were so inclined, which could reduce/prevent some income, however.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 05/01/20 03:44 AM

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1255907211533901825

"SpaceX has been selected to develop a lunar optimized Starship to transport crew between lunar orbit and the surface of the Moon as part of @NASA’s Artemis program! https://go.nasa.gov/3f0o3ux "

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 05/04/20 09:00 PM

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/spacex-starship-incredible-elon-musk-photo/amp

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 05/04/20 09:30 PM

The bell end of that engine measures 1.3 meters across.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 05/06/20 08:38 PM

SN4 had an apparently successful static engine test last night.

Advance to 37 minute mark:

https://youtu.be/TwSfIMWSG7E
Posted By: Docjonel

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 05/08/20 03:47 AM

Hopefully the 150 m hop soon, then the 20 km flight with SN5 will be when things really get serious. And the crew Dragon flight later this month?
Things be a happenin'.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 05/29/20 08:25 PM

Starship SN4 is no more.

SpaceX Starship test vehicle explodes moments after test-firing

A full-size prototype of SpaceX’s Starship violently exploded in South Texas moments after a test-firing of its Raptor engine Friday, dealing a setback to the company’s next-generation reusable rocket program.

The fiery explosion at SpaceX’s test site at Boca Chica, just east of Brownsville near the U.S.-Mexico border, occurred at 1:49 p.m. CDT (2:49 p.m. EDT; 1849 GMT) Friday, around two minutes after a brief firing of a Raptor engine mounted to the base of the Starship vehicle.

A cloud of vapors suddenly appeared around the bottom of the Starship vehicle — made of stainless steel — moments after the Raptor engine appeared to complete a normal test-firing that lasted a few seconds. Vapors were also visible streaming from vents higher up on the Starship vehicle before the explosion.

The fire appeared to originate near the base of the rocket, and the Starship was nearly instantaneously engulfed in a fireball. Multiple live webcams aimed at the Starship showed debris from the rocket falling around the test stand.

The explosion occurred one day before a separate SpaceX team at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida plans a second launch attempt for the company’s first spaceflight with humans aboard a Falcon 9 rocket and Crew Dragon spacecraft. An earlier try was scrubbed Wednesday due to bad weather.

Build, test, explode, build, test again.....
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 05/29/20 11:10 PM

Wow....

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 05/30/20 01:37 PM

And as usual Scott Manley covers what we know or think we know at this point in detail:

https://youtu.be/BCUYG5SonCY

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 05/30/20 03:49 PM

thumbsup

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 06/03/20 04:17 PM

Apparently the issue that resulted in SN4's destruction was with ground support equipment not the vehicle itself.

SpaceX’s Starship explosion explained by Elon Musk
Posted By: NoFlyBoy

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 06/03/20 04:32 PM

Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship

So it won't get

Rust In Space

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 06/08/20 12:41 PM

Musk tells SpaceX employees that its Starship rocket is the top priority

SpaceX launched astronauts for the first time barely a week ago but CEO Elon Musk does not want the company resting on its laurels.

Instead, Musk urged SpaceX employees to accelerate progress on its next-generation Starship rocket “dramatically and immediately,” writing Saturday in a company-wide email seen by CNBC.

“Please consider the top SpaceX priority (apart from anything that could reduce Dragon return risk) to be Starship,” Musk wrote in the email

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 07/08/20 06:24 PM

Mars Mission Update: June 2020

The successful Commercial Crew launch by SpaceX and NASA has forever changed spaceflight. Now, for the first time, there is a clear path to sending humans to Mars. Aspiring Martian Colonist Dr. Ryan MacDonald charts the course towards the first human missions to the Red Planet.

***** Chapters *****

0:00 - Introduction
1:16 - Commercial spaceflight
8:27 - SpaceX's Starship
12:30 - Early Starship prototypes
13:38 - Boca Chica Starship assembly site
16:14 - Starship program recap (Jan 2020 - June 2020)
20:34 - Future Starship goals
22:32 - The Artemis Program
25:55 - Artemis Human Landing Systems
27:18 - SpaceX Starship Lunar Campaign
29:29 - Colonising the Moon
35:24 - SpaceX Mars Mission Plans
38:35 - Colonising Mars

https://youtu.be/bmcr2FaoWoU

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 07/08/20 06:30 PM

Aren't they returning this month?

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 07/08/20 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy

They who returning from where?

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 07/08/20 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by F4UDash4

The 2 astronauts that went up to the ISS on the Dragon 2, returning to earth this month.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 07/08/20 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by F4UDash4

The 2 astronauts that went up to the ISS on the Dragon 2, returning to earth this month.

Wrong thread, this isn't about Dragon.

This is the Dragon thread.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 08/05/20 12:46 AM

I see that SN5 made its 150 meter hop. smile

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 08/05/20 02:49 AM

Amazing stuff happening!

https://youtu.be/B5imfOS52Tg
Posted By: JimK

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 08/05/20 03:35 AM

AWESOME

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 08/05/20 12:21 PM

https://youtu.be/s1HA9LlFNM0

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 09/02/20 03:42 PM

This is what a modern shipyard looks like, a SPACE-shipyard.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture Eg1uIXxWoAI1YGm.jpg

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 09/02/20 03:45 PM

Elon Musk offers update on SpaceX’s Starship mega-rocket

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 09/03/20 07:49 PM

SN6 makes test hop.

https://youtu.be/jVcn2yQReDI

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 10/23/20 07:05 PM

The first time an operational Starship has been fully stacked.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture SN8.jpg

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 10/23/20 07:08 PM

All of this SpaceX info makes me happy and gives me hope for the future

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 11/08/20 06:38 PM

Courtesy of the Everyday Astronaut:

THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO STARSHIP: STARSHIP VS FALCON 9, WHAT’S NEW AND IMPROVED?

https://youtu.be/-8p2JDTd13k

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 11/13/20 03:10 AM

Suffered some sort of pneumatics failure during a test firing according to Musk on Twitter

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1327070929868914689

"We lost vehicle pneumatics. Reason unknown at present. Liquid oxygen header tank pressure is rising. Hopefully triggers burst disk to relieve pressure, otherwise it’s going to pop the cork."

And:

"Maybe melted an engine preburner or fuel hot gas manifold. Whatever it is caused pneumatics loss. We need to design out this problem."

https://youtu.be/tJAxtqCCyn8

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 11/14/20 02:43 AM

Scott Manley as usual has the low down on last nights excitement:

https://youtu.be/PwBoepMtjoY

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/03/20 01:33 AM

Starship may fly to 15km as early as Friday

This will be epic!

On Wednesday, the Federal Aviation Administration issued a temporary flight restriction for SpaceX to conduct a Starship launch from its facility near Boca Chica Beach in South Texas. The notification allows the company to attempt a Starship hop on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, between the hours of 9am EST (14:00 UTC) and 6pm EST (23:00 UTC) daily. SpaceX must still obtain a launch license from the FAA for this flight.

The company's founder and chief engineer, Elon Musk, has said SpaceX will attempt to fly Starship to an altitude of 15km to demonstrate the performance of three Raptor engines over the course of several minutes. The company's previous flights to about 150 meters, in August and September, used a single Raptor engine.

This higher flight profile will take Starship above nearly 90 percent of Earth's atmosphere, which will allow the company to do several new tests: assess the performance of body flaps on Starship, transition from using propellant from the main fuel tanks to smaller ones used for landing burns, and test the vehicle's ability to reorient itself for returning to the launch site.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/03/20 02:44 AM

Looking forward to watching it happen. Hopefully no anomalies.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/03/20 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by JimK
Looking forward to watching it happen. Hopefully no anomalies.

I predict, and hope to be proven wrong, that the first successful 15km flight and landing will be with SN10.

SN8 / SN9 will be destroyed in attempts but much will be learned and SN10 will stick the landing.

Again, I look forward to being proven wrong!

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/03/20 11:19 AM

If you have an iPhone / iPad you can test fly Starship yourself for free: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/x-plane-starship/id1540346715

Scott Manley demonstrates:

https://youtu.be/9SOEoIbQ0Zs

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/08/20 09:53 PM

Prepping for possible launch to about 40,000 feet today:

https://youtu.be/am2kw1TCNAk

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/08/20 10:06 PM

TFR expires at 1800 eastern time so they have to go in the next 45 minutes or so, or scrub for today.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/08/20 10:31 PM

Countdown under 4 minutes now

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/08/20 10:37 PM

Abort. Dang it.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/08/20 10:45 PM

Got there just in time for the abort.

Here's some amazing insight in to our world. SpaceX, doing some of the most innovative space flight things in history, has less than five million subscribers on YouTube. yep

PewDiePie has almost 110 million subscribers on YouTube. partything

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/08/20 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nixer
Got there just in time for the abort.

Here's some amazing insight in to our world. SpaceX, doing some of the most innovative space flight things in history, has less than five million subscribers on YouTube. yep

PewDiePie has almost 110 million subscribers on YouTube. partything

Well just look at this thread, I started it almost 2 years ago and there have been only a relative handful of posts made in it, most of them mine.

This is the most exciting spaceflight saga since Apollo and only a few even in our niche of technical and aviation minded forum members show much interest.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/09/20 09:38 PM

Next attempt in about an hour.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/09/20 10:54 PM

Was that ever a rough landing. Flight looked great till touchdown was way to fast.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/09/20 10:54 PM

WOW
Posted By: RedToo

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/09/20 10:56 PM

Wow! Brilliant test.
Posted By: 3instein

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/09/20 11:16 PM

That was freaking amazing to watch, those Raptor engines...Wow I don't think I blinked at all.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/09/20 11:39 PM

I was on my way home from work, pulled over and watched on my phone. They got much closer to actually landing on the first try than I thought they would. I predict success for SN9 in about 2-3 weeks!

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/10/20 12:12 AM

Too bad about the landing, then again NASA wouldn't even think about a vertical RTB many gazillions later.

SpaceX knocks it out of the park...sorry about the window. biggrin

Just amazing to watch those gimbaled monster engines, plus those huge stainless steel finds just flapping away.

Please keep NASA away from these folks.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/10/20 12:49 AM

Here's the official SpaceX livestream / replay, launch is just past the one hour and 48 minute mark:

https://youtu.be/ap-BkkrRg-o

Some commentary on the landing from Rand Simberg (Aerospace enginner):

"Elon said that the header tank pressure was low on landing. I’m guessing that this maybe resulted in bubbles in the cooling channels, overheating of the nozzle, and injecting copper into the flow, for that green effect. And reduced thrust, of course, which is why they came in too fast."

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/10/20 12:55 AM

As for the talk of engine shutdowns on ascent I'm guessing that was planned. The reshuffle of the engine gimbles to accommodate switching from 3 engine flight to 2 engine flight and from 2 to 1 all seem to happen as the engine shutdown or maybe even started before it shutdown, looking to me like a planned event rather than a reaction to an anomaly. So I suspect this was done to gradually reduce thrust and end up with the vessel practically hovering before doing the swan dive back toward terra firma.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/10/20 06:53 AM

It'll buff right out.
Posted By: Docjonel

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/13/20 01:59 AM

Still watching replays of the flight on YouTube.
Great to hear all the space enthusiasts screaming and yelling.

The flight went far more successfully than I thought it would go. They came so close to complete success by almost sticking the landing. I was impressed by how controlled the changes in vehicle attitude looked.
Fantastic first attempt. Would not be surprised at all if they stick the landing for SN9.
The next crazy moment will be watching the Super Heavy booster test flight.
So much to look forward to in the next year that would not be happening if we were depending on the old space establishment to advance spaceflight.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/13/20 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Docjonel
Still watching replays of the flight on YouTube.
Great to hear all the space enthusiasts screaming and yelling.

The flight went far more successfully than I thought it would go. They came so close to complete success by almost sticking the landing. I was impressed by how controlled the changes in vehicle attitude looked.
Fantastic first attempt. Would not be surprised at all if they stick the landing for SN9.
The next crazy moment will be watching the Super Heavy booster test flight.
So much to look forward to in the next year that would not be happening if we were depending on the old space establishment to advance spaceflight.

+1

Only issue now is that SN9 slipped on it's stand and tilted over into the side of the assembly building it was in, they've spent today trying to correct the tilt.

https://youtu.be/HghOSxI1K48

If SN9 is damaged beyond repair SN10 is not far behind in the construction process.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 12/16/20 01:12 AM

This video composite of the SN8 launch / landing is excellent:

https://youtu.be/KfMCApWc5xE

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 08/06/21 05:08 PM

The first fully assembled Starship on the pad:

[Linked Image]

Attached picture FB_IMG_1628264118878.jpg

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 08/06/21 05:52 PM

That's one BFR.

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 08/06/21 06:00 PM

Sure is huge.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58120874

Re: Why SpaceX Built A Stainless Steel Starship - 08/14/21 01:38 PM

Youtuber "The Everyday Astronaut" spent 2 hours with Elon Musk. He is dividing the video footage into 3 parts.

Part 1 of 3: Starbase Tour with Elon Musk - Part 1

It is somewat amazing to me, just how much inside information Musk is willing to share publicly. It's good PR of course, but in a competitve business, I'd expect SpaceX to keep more of their cards closer to the chest. No complaints from me! smile
© 2024 SimHQ Forums